Hiroko's Art Thread - RIP Querida Abuelita (09/09/14)

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Hiroko's Art Thread - Anime Self Sketch (05/28/13)

Postby noxux » Tue May 28, 2013 9:37 pm

This is pretty good, I like your style Hiroko.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Tuor » Tue May 28, 2013 9:40 pm

Gaww, cute c:
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue May 28, 2013 9:42 pm

I really like your line quality, it makes your work look really nicely done.
Bark

Postby Morpheus » Tue May 28, 2013 9:45 pm

That is amazing cute Hiroko.
Keep up the good work.

Postby Guardian » Tue May 28, 2013 10:10 pm

Very nice.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Brax4 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 pm

That's awesome, love your style.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Creppy Eggy » Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 pm

Awww that's cute :3
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Hiroko » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:29 am

Thanks, everyone. c:
The Sentimental One

Re: Hiroko's Art Thread - Pony Sketches (06/02/13)

Postby Hiroko » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:04 pm

The Sentimental One

Postby Brax4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:12 pm

You have quite a knack for drawing MLP.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Varspool » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm about to die from all of the cuteness in this thread.
Show me the color of your credits.

Postby Hiroko » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:34 pm

@Brax: Thanks. :3

@Varspool: Nuuu, don't die! DDD:
The Sentimental One

Postby Guardian » Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:52 pm

You make it seem so easy, Hiroko. I would try it, but alas, i r afraid.

Varspool wrote:I'm about to die from all of the cuteness in this thread.

Hiroko wrote:@Varspool: Nuuu, don't die! DDD:

“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby Hiroko » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Thanks, Blood Lord. ouo

It honestly isn't super easy for me.;;; I have a bunch of failed sketches that were driving me insane over the past few days--which is why I turned to the MLP thread to ask for help in the first place. That said, having several references by your side really does help a ton, 'cause drawing blindly (unless you have photographic memory, or just a really good memory in general) tends to not end up looking all that great if you're not used to it as first, while having a reference to look back to every now and then helps you to correct your mistakes as you go along.
The Sentimental One

Postby Varspool » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:31 pm

I never expected that the MLP style was hard to draw. But then again I never attempted to draw anything resembling something to MLP. xD

I really love how crisp and clean your lines are. I can never get anything drawn on paper without it smearing all over the place.
Show me the color of your credits.

Postby noxux » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm

This looks easy but is pretty hard.
Varspool wrote:I'm about to die from all of the cuteness in this thread.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Guardian » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:34 pm

Hiroko wrote:Thanks, Blood Lord. ouo

It honestly isn't super easy for me.;;; I have a bunch of failed sketches that were driving me insane over the past few days--which is why I turned to the MLP thread to ask for help in the first place. That said, having several references by your side really does help a ton, 'cause drawing blindly (unless you have photographic memory, or just a really good memory in general) tends to not end up looking all that great if you're not used to it as first, while having a reference to look back to every now and then helps you to correct your mistakes as you go along.

That's both not surprising and worrisome for me at the same time. You are very good Hiroko, you seem to have a natural talent for this and can achieve mastery with what seems like ease. Although I'm not going to doubt there has been a lot of hard work done and failed sketches. Neither the reference thing.

but tell me, on average how often to you spend time drawing per day and per week?

Semper Vigilans

Postby Hiroko » Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Varspool wrote:I never expected that the MLP style was hard to draw. But then again I never attempted to draw anything resembling something to MLP. xD

I really love how crisp and clean your lines are. I can never get anything drawn on paper without it smearing all over the place.

I think it's mostly getting the body and expressions right that can be a bit difficult. Especially when it comes to drawing the legs in motion, since most fans of the show (myself included) don't quite have the anatomy of horses/ponies down, so legs end up looking kinda awkward at times. That, and it gets complicated when you start drawing the character in different views. Most are only comfortable with drawing ponies from the side, rather than front, back, 3/4 views, and everything else in between. This is sorta true of drawing most characters, though, as doing character turnarounds can take a bit of getting used to.

Anyway, thank you very much. :3 I don't usually have the smearing problem unless I start shading, but think something you can do to alleviate the smearing problem is to place a piece of paper (whether another sheet of paper or a piece of tissue) between your hand and the drawing you're working on. That way your hand doesn't pick up on the graphite and smear it around as much.

Alternatively, sketch very lightly so that you don't put too much graphite on the page, and when you're satisfied with the sketch, go back in and redraw just a little darker over the lines you want to keep. This is more or less what I do, and I think it probably helps with keeping lines looking crisp as well.

Blood Lord wrote:That's both not surprising and worrisome for me at the same time. You are very good Hiroko, you seem to have a natural talent for this and can achieve mastery with what seems like ease. Although I'm not going to doubt there has been a lot of hard work done and failed sketches. Neither the reference thing.

but tell me, on average how often to you spend time drawing per day and per week?

Thanks, Blood Lord.

To be honest, I'm really not sure. I hardly keep track of how much time I spend drawing, and, unfortunately, my drawing tendencies have been a little inconsistent as of late. I used to draw a ton every day between junior high and the end of high school--I'd average about five pages of doodles and sketches every day while in my classes, most of which ended up unfinished, though a ton of it ended up on my dA. Seriously, out of all of the currently 32 pages of deviations in my gallery, about 25 of those pages were all from my high school years. o-o; And again, those weren't all my drawings/sketches/doodles. This is...sort of a scary thought, come to think of it.

These days, though, I've really slowed down with drawing--even when I have urges to draw, or ideas I want to bring to life, I'm oftentimes just too lazy or unmotivated to draw. That said, I still do draw a bit--I think every other day or so, I'm doodling or drawing about three pages of stuff, two of which usually are failed sketches that I'll store away after working on for about 10-15 minutes, while one I'll be set on for maybe 30 minutes, maybe more or maybe less depending on how motivated I am about completing the picture. So if I had to guess, I suppose I average about 4-6 hours a week.
The Sentimental One

Postby Brother Orin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:33 am

Very adorable, I like the last pose of Timid Star, looks like she's doing a little star gazing.
At your service.

Postby noxux » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:38 am

I like the way how Timid Star is like thinking, (:
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Hiroko » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:45 am

@Brother Orin: Lol, he's actually a boy...a rather girly-looking boy, though. But yeah, stargazing was more or less what I was thinking, too. :3 But anyway, thanks!

@Noxux: Thank you. c:
The Sentimental One

Postby Brother Orin » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:25 am

Ah well, 50/50 shot at guessing the gender...

But you are welcome.
At your service.

Re: Hiroko's Art Thread - Aki Chichester (07/16/13)

Postby Hiroko » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:11 am

Aki Chichester.

A drawing I did of my friend's character for her birthday. This drawing was actually completed a couple months back, but I waited until today to post it on her actual birthday.

So...that's about it. ...Oh, and it should be noted, the character is indeed a guy. Just a particularly feminine one. =u=
The Sentimental One

Postby Creppy Eggy » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:31 am

Really? That's a guy? Huh... he looks fabulous
Very nicely done, btw. Reminds me of a marching band player... an elegant one, to be exact!
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Sig Skellington » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:38 am

Great art, Hiroko. Though I can't help but be reminded of the Sergeant Pepper album...
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

PreviousNext

Return to Art