The Xbox One

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The Xbox One

Postby MERASMUS! » Sat May 25, 2013 10:14 am

I hope Halo 5 will look good on the xbox one. The only thing that was mentioned remotely about games was the kinect 2.0.
Never anger a magician

Postby Remni » Sat May 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Q.U. wrote:No. Because any new software and hardware should first be evaluated based on their own merits. Not on being necessary to use the merits of others.

I think you misunderstood me anyways. I've always been a pretty diehard Nintendo fan, not that I'll discount any of the other systems, but my Nintendo needs usually always come first. The WiiU is the only system so far I havent been sure about getting yet until I saw more games I wanted. ZombiU and MHU3 are the only ones currently out that I'd consider getting the system for, so when I meant killer apps, I meant games that will actually want to make me buy the console now.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Vegedus » Sat May 25, 2013 5:04 pm

Q.U. wrote:Building a console around a single top selling game is stupid. The console is hardware. You don't want to buy a $1000 plasma TV that can only ever play one single channel that the manufacturer got paid by, and then all the rest being blurry.

A single game? No, that be stupid. You'd have to be crazy rich to buy a console for the sake of single game. But games, plural? That's like, the most important part of picking a console. I don't give a fuck who has the most media capabilities, the best processor or the most social networking. I care who has the best games. Granted, "best games library" isn't an intrinsic quality of the console, but if you're actually gonna buy the console for gaming, I don't see why it shouldn't be it's most important asset still. The PS2 is a great example: Probably the greatest console ever, at least in relation to it's competition at the time. Because it had the greatest games library. Xbox had Halo, gamecube had mario, PS2 I couldn't list all the good titles. The Xbox was more powerful and had online stuff, the gamecube was cheaper (IIRC), but it didn't matter, and it doesn't.

Granted, (lots of disclaimers following) as porting games between most consoles possible becomes more and more commonplace, the game libraries become more homogeneous. This will likely continue into the next generation. I'd still pick a PS3 over an Xbox360 over some decent number of specific exclusives the former has, but there might be fewer in the next generation. However, this also leads to all the consoles becoming more homogeneous and they are in general as well. It doesn't matter has the best specs because all games will be multi-platform and optimised for the weakest one. All of them have motion sensing crap, internet, media crap. Based on current information, it seems the biggest decision factor between PS4 and Xbox One is whether you like Let's Plays or Netflix more.

And, yes, if you're one of those early adopters, you can't judge a console by it's library, because there won't be one. Then you'll have to do some divining and look at the console itself. But why people by consoles at full price while they have no games is beyond me.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Blood Lord » Sun May 26, 2013 11:18 pm

I'm going to wait a year or so before I buy a new console. Gives time for bugs to be worked out and an idea of what to expect game wise on the systems. Going a little off of what QU said, there are games that define a system, their flagship so to speak. I would think that some consideration should be given when to them when looking at the systems, but not as a deciding factor. Those are going to be games that you want to play, but can only get them on a single system. Play Station has what, Metal Gear Solid and Fallout? I don't think those games are on the other systems.

There are certain games and times that I use to choose which system to play on. Thus far, I like the PS3 when handling the Assassin Creed games, looks beautiful. The Wii is just for party games and when younger cousins come over for family gatherings. The 360 though is the console that I spend the most time on because I like the games better.

I'll see about the Xbox One. The name is utter shit, but whatever. Can't do much about that. Don't really care for its "other" abilities besides game capabilities. The only other "off game" use my 360 has gotten was some Netflix experience and a couple of DVDs. The only thing that is going to sell me on it is the games it will have. Halo 5 is a good reason, but I need more than just that single game. The 360 had a couple of surprising releases that helped it out until Halo 3 was released. Same with the PS4. As for the WiiU, sorry Remni. I gave up being a fan of them a long time ago.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vampire Hiryu » Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 am

I'm just gonna leave this here, okay?

ImageImageImage
Such a lovely maiden
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue May 28, 2013 9:16 am

hit him with a crowbar.
Never anger a magician

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue May 28, 2013 10:01 am

Blood Lord wrote:Play Station has what, Metal Gear Solid and Fallout? I don't think those games are on the other systems.

MGS4 was exclusive to PS3. The rest of the series has been on other consoles. Fallout games have never been exclusive to Sony systems. For exclusives you're looking at: LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, some of the normal racing and FPS games, a handful or two of really good downloadable titles(Journey, the pixeljunk series). The game I'm most looking forward to coming from Sony right now is The Last of Us.
ButtStuff: I love you, too.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby top gear tony » Tue May 28, 2013 11:51 am

Yeah, Last of Us is looking to be the PS3's swon song.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby Vegedus » Tue May 28, 2013 1:23 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:Play Station has what, Metal Gear Solid and Fallout? I don't think those games are on the other systems.

MGS4 was exclusive to PS3. The rest of the series has been on other consoles. Fallout games have never been exclusive to Sony systems. For exclusives you're looking at: LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Infamous, God of War, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, some of the normal racing and FPS games, a handful or two of really good downloadable titles(Journey, the pixeljunk series).

And a number of obscure JRPGs, obscure enough that I even I can't off-hand remember their names, but I would have bought if I had the system.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue May 28, 2013 1:45 pm

Yeah, I didn't even get into those because they're not my forte and I don't know how many people even here are fans. The big ones I have heard about is Folklore, Valkyria Chronicles, White Knight Chronicles, Ni no Kuni, and a slew Gust and NIS stuff.

I doubt Last of Us is PS3's swan song; they still have a few games in dev that might slip but they could still wind up on PS3. The Last Guardian is the most notorious of them and then there is also Agent.
ButtStuff: I love you, too.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby top gear tony » Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm

I must admit, even though they are not all that good (except for disgaea and a few others). I do have a soft spot for NIS(A) and Gust games. I'm worried since Gust was brought by Temco though.

I'm wondering what the fresh new IP Microsoft will bring. Be it more shooting stuff?

Postby Creppy Eggy » Wed May 29, 2013 8:52 pm

The guy's got a point.
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Brother Orin » Wed May 29, 2013 8:59 pm

Hipster Mario's been moving fish around long before next gen consoles.
At your service.

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed May 29, 2013 9:29 pm

Next gen is gonna fail all right. I just know it. And unless developers realize what gamers don't like what they are doing, I might as well get games for my computer more often instead.
Never anger a magician

Postby Blood Lord » Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Oh? I am curious to how you know it is going to fail.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby top gear tony » Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 am

It all depends on who willing we are to change. I mean it's been more or less eight years of routine and familiarity with the console crowd. It's going to be really hard changing over. Some people my need more shelve space, decide what to do with the old hardware and what not.

I want to statuesque to continue, but something tells me it's going to be a rocky start if things take off like it's looking too.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu May 30, 2013 9:18 am

I don't see the change you guys are freaking out about. It's still a game console, you can just do more stuff on it. Look at the 360 right now and all of the stuff you can do with it other than play games. I know some people who have never used it for a game, but purely for Netflix.

There is still going to be games, XboxLive will still exist, the world isn't going to end.

I want to know why MadDoc specifically knows it is going to fail. Does he have some sort of inside source that has told him the companies aren't as confident as they should be, or is he just blowing steam?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby top gear tony » Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 am

I'm not really talking about the whole DRM or new mechanics. The simple fact of a switch over can be quite intimidating to some.

MadDoc is probably a PC purist. You know the type that looks down on consoles for no other reason than, "why not".

Postby Blood Lord » Thu May 30, 2013 3:52 pm

Hmm, probably.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Brax4 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:47 pm

From the way I see it, it's going to be a rough generation of gaming. You've got the WiiU racking up sales because it's a cheaper system with less to it. You've got PS4 seeming to have a hold on everything, but you never know. You have the Xbox One making a fool of itself. And you have the Ouya, an open source android system.

Personally, hardcore gamers and fanboys are still going to jump all over their favorites.

I know I'm going to try and score an Ouya. And probably an Xbox One, though I'm not really proud of that.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu May 30, 2013 5:09 pm

top gear tony 666 wrote:I'm not really talking about the whole DRM or new mechanics. The simple fact of a switch over can be quite intimidating to some.

MadDoc is probably a PC purist. You know the type that looks down on consoles for no other reason than, "why not".

Well, I don't honestly play a lot of PC games. Halo is the reason why I play on the xbox. As soon as I get my own computer though, I will go on a PC gaming buying spree. Halo 2, Half-life, etc. Life is gonna be good at the end of the year.
Never anger a magician

Postby top gear tony » Thu May 30, 2013 6:02 pm

Steam got me into PC gaming. I'm an all round gamer, having a bit of each makes my standing on the subject much easier and I can look from all angles.

I heard someone mention the Ouya. I don't know about you guys, but I'm staying well away from that vapid promise machine.

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu May 30, 2013 6:20 pm

Steam will be the first thing I get.
Never anger a magician

Postby Vegedus » Fri May 31, 2013 4:13 am

Own 161 games on steam currently.
Brax4 wrote:You've got PS4 seeming to have a hold on everything

Not really. The PS4 presentation wasn't great either, it was still little about games and a lot about stupid social networking. It just didn't bomb like the XBone, making it look more favorable in comparison. We don't know for sure what kind of DRM or anti-used games schemes it's gonna have either, they're just dodging the question while letting Microsoft taking all the heat.

Postby Q.U. » Fri May 31, 2013 4:48 am

Microsoft to invest $1B into exclusive titles for Xbox One.

Looks like they're trying to save grace.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu Gaming