Upcoming events you're excited for

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Upcoming events you're excited for

Postby Guardian » Tue May 28, 2013 5:02 pm

War, famine, natural disasters and other events ending in death. Potential expansion into the solar system and terraforming of Mars. Venturing into other solar systems, etc.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Sentios » Tue May 28, 2013 5:17 pm

Vegedus wrote:The trouble then becomes how to handle near-immortality in a world that is already overpopulated and is only going to become more so...

The simplest one would be to stop thinking of reproduction as an innate right, even without near-immortality there's good reason to go that route when you consider the number of unfit parents.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed May 29, 2013 8:14 am

Blood Lord wrote:War, famine, natural disasters and other events ending in death.

I'm also waiting for that momment when you tell us all that you're the Master, and you are trying to destroy the universe.
Never anger a magician

Postby Grey » Wed May 29, 2013 8:33 am

Upcoming events you're excited for
Blood Lord wrote:War, famine, natural disasters and other events ending in death.
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Sig Skellington » Wed May 29, 2013 8:45 am

The inevitable failure of the Xbox One (it might not bomb completely, but it certainly will not live up to MS' expectations).
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Rival » Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 am

This section already has a thread about the Xbox One.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54859

Not saying you're off-topic, cause you aren't. But I'd like to avoid this thread devolving into polemics about who will win the next console wars, if possible. If there was no active thread for it in this very section it'd be a different story.
Sentios wrote:The simplest one would be to stop thinking of reproduction as an innate right, even without near-immortality there's good reason to go that route when you consider the number of unfit parents.

That'd be pretty hard to put in practice. A system to determine "fit" future parents would likely become incredibly corrupt and even if it somehow wasn't, it's not like people with high IQ are guaranteed to be good parents, or people with felonies in youth are guaranteed to be bad parents. It'd be pretty hard to pick any universally accepted standards and some groups would always feel they get the short end of the stick.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Icha » Wed May 29, 2013 10:26 am

Eugenics and reproductive rights is a pretty sticky thing, because you have to put standards somewhere.

I suppose you could always just tax those who have more than two kids heavily, except for those who happen to get triplets (or more) in one go, unless one of the parents is a "benefit" to society. This way you either have to have merit and/or be rich to multiply fruitfully, without setting a hard limit on those who do not.
One time when I was high, I thought I was in an ambulance dying. Turns out I was just eating sherbert.
-stufflikehearts-

Postby Sig Skellington » Wed May 29, 2013 10:39 am

Rival wrote:This section already has a thread about the Xbox One.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54859

Not saying you're off-topic, cause you aren't. But I'd like to avoid this thread devolving into polemics about who will win the next console wars, if possible. If there was no active thread for it in this very section it'd be a different story.

Just wanted to get that out, I'm done there.
There is something else I'm excited for (though right now it's only a rumor). There's supposedly an Armored Core movie (possibly anime or CG) in the works, due to be released this year.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 29, 2013 11:07 am

I think the hardest part about legislating reproductive rights would be politics. China has a freaking billion people and thus the one-child policy and it's heavily frowned upon in the west. That may also have to do with the specifics of it's implementation. The day may come where it's there is no choice, though.

None of these has ever put much of a dent in the human population. You can't even find WW2 on a population chart. The reason there's six billion of us is because we multiply far faster than we die of any such causes. I think the black plague is the only singular event that's killed a good percentage of the population. Further, none of these are solutions to the overpopulation problem, they're just stuff that happens. I guess enough atom bombs would be a solution, but it's not really a good one.

And settling planets, especially exo-planets, is still sci-fi, while ridiculously long life spans increasingly is not.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Grey » Wed May 29, 2013 11:09 am

women should all be fertile, but all men other than me should be snipped

it's my duty as the alpha male of earth to pass my superior seed onwards.

except to fat chicks and gross chicks.
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am

I guess I'll take those, those. Together we'll impregnate the world!

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed May 29, 2013 12:27 pm

We need to move to mars.
Never anger a magician

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 29, 2013 12:56 pm

Nope, too late, you're already pregnant.

ATATATATATATATATATA!   

Postby Rival » Wed May 29, 2013 1:01 pm

Vegedus wrote:China has a freaking billion people and thus the one-child policy and it's heavily frowned upon in the west.
And China's policy is pretty mild compared to what some futurologists suggest for the future of humanity. Rural areas are excluded from being subject of the one child policy, as are ethnic minorities. And if you can pay the punishment fine (which admittedly is quite costly), you do even avoid jail. For a country like China that's milder than you'd expect it to be.
Vegedus wrote:

None of these has ever put much of a dent in the human population.
Well not at the scale we saw of them so far. But as you said, enough nuclear missles would put a large dent. A full scale nuclear war would still effectively annihilate most of humanity and it isn't as impossible to happen as some people think, just because the Cold War ended. Take the January 25, 1995 Black Brant XII incident, Russia's government isn't much more competent, than it was back then.

And natural disasters are a really broad range, gamma-ray bursts are technically a natural disaster and should one hit Earth even a biologically immortal human race would be unable to do much.
Grey wrote:it's my duty as the alpha male of earth to pass my superior seed onwards.

except to fat chicks and gross chicks.

Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so-called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious...service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby MERASMUS! » Wed May 29, 2013 2:13 pm

Vegedus wrote:Nope, too late, you're already pregnant.

ATATATATATATATATATA!   

I'm male. And I do not asexually reproduce.
Never anger a magician

Postby Sentios » Wed May 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Rival wrote:That'd be pretty hard to put in practice. A system to determine "fit" future parents would likely become incredibly corrupt and even if it somehow wasn't, it's not like people with high IQ are guaranteed to be good parents, or people with felonies in youth are guaranteed to be bad parents. It'd be pretty hard to pick any universally accepted standards and some groups would always feel they get the short end of the stick.

I never said high IQ, IQ isn't even a perfectly reliable indicator of success forget parenting ability. As far as it being hard to be put into practice... it's easier than convincing the average person to take a one way trip to another planet. Which is where we're headed since population can't grow infinitely more dense on the planet.

Vegedus wrote:

None of these has ever put much of a dent in the human population.

It should be noted that war has little effect population growth because the limiting factor of population growth is fertile females, while most war time casualties are males. Disease and famine also generally have the opposite effect on population growth that one would expect because people suffering those things end up having a larger number of kids so that even if only 1/3 of them survive to adulthood they'll still have a significant number of surviving descendents (same reason rodents have tons of offspring). This is one of the top reasons for the overpopulated developing world.

Postby Guardian » Wed May 29, 2013 8:47 pm

Haven't had a dent, yet.

Besides they weren't serious responses to something like that.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Creppy Eggy » Thu May 30, 2013 2:19 am

I'm waiting for my damn hover board and Jaws 15. C'mon 2015!
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Rival » Thu May 30, 2013 4:29 am

Sentios wrote:I never said high IQ, IQ isn't even a perfectly reliable indicator of success forget parenting ability.

I know you didn't, you didn't mention felonies either, I just mentioned them as factors that'd be likely to appear in a debate among politicians when implementing such a policy. Should they attempt it.
Last edited by Rival on Thu May 30, 2013 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Vegedus » Thu May 30, 2013 6:11 am

TheMadDoctor wrote:
Vegedus wrote:Nope, too late, you're already pregnant.

ATATATATATATATATATA!   

I'm male. And I do not asexually reproduce.

IRRELEVANT.

It's sixtublets, congratulations!

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu May 30, 2013 8:14 am

NO it isn't! If something can get in, then everything can get out. A tsunami of insane daleks.
Never anger a magician

Postby Sentios » Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 pm

Assuming there were a tsunami of daleks, would you first be crushed under them or vaporized by them?

Postby MERASMUS! » Thu May 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Well, neither. I would prevent them from destroying the universe as I always do.
Never anger a magician

Previous

Return to Snafu General Discussion