Upcoming events you're excited for

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Upcoming events you're excited for

Postby Grey » Tue May 21, 2013 11:34 am

kids in developed countries today have a fucking great chance of living past 100 and that's insane.
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby noxux » Tue May 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Holy shit then I will be inmortal for 100 years yes I know that dosen´t make sense
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue May 21, 2013 6:30 pm

Long lifespans typically include a healthy diet, physical, social, mental, and spiritual health.
Never anger a magician

Postby noxux » Tue May 21, 2013 6:33 pm

Wow really? At least I do half of that.
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue May 21, 2013 6:36 pm

My parents fear death, so they started working out a lot.
Never anger a magician

Postby noxux » Tue May 21, 2013 6:48 pm

Also tell your parents that don´t get stressed too much because the stress is one of the reasons of many people die
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby MERASMUS! » Tue May 21, 2013 6:50 pm

noxux wrote:Also tell your parents that don´t get stressed too much because the stress is one of the reasons of many people die

I was just kidding. After they watched a few diet tv shows and like biggest loser, they were encouraged to work out and eat healthier.
Never anger a magician

Postby noxux » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Nah dosen´t matter it´s a good advice anyway
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue May 21, 2013 6:58 pm

TheMadDoctor wrote:Long lifespans typically include a healthy diet, physical, social, mental, and spiritual health.

And apricot seeds?
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Grey » Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 pm

noxux wrote:Holy shit then I will be inmortal for 100 years yes I know that dosen´t make sense
arent u from some fuckd up country that dont even speak english or whatever tho??
Suave Brit

Postby noxux » Tue May 21, 2013 11:53 pm

Grey wrote:
noxux wrote:Holy shit then I will be inmortal for 100 years yes I know that dosen´t make sense
arent u from some fuckd up country that dont even speak english or whatever tho??

Yeah but I go to a school that teachs English and that is pretty useful, it even have a harvard teacher (:
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Creppy Eggy » Wed May 22, 2013 12:02 am

Damn Nox, that's really good!
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby noxux » Wed May 22, 2013 12:10 am

Yeah but if you make a single mistake with him you´re fucked up
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 22, 2013 1:22 am

Rival wrote:Scientists aren't exactly in agreement on how it'll occur, when it'll occur, or even if it'll occur, so I find the guys placing it for certain during our life time, to be overly optimistic.

It's definitely true that it's all very hypothetical and it might not even happen at all, but the wikipedia article Sentios places it around 2030, 2045 or within the next hundred years. I'm of the mind that there's basically two options: Either Moore's law is gonna keep on being in effect, in which case the singularity will come soon enough. Or we're gonna find a hard, physical limit to the power of artificial intelligence or processing power (as we already sorta have with current processor technology, but there's quantum computing to pick up the slack), and progress will plateau and we won't ever get there.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Rival » Wed May 22, 2013 9:44 am

Vegedus wrote:Either Moore's law is gonna keep on being in effect, in which case the singularity will come soon enough. Or we're gonna find a hard, physical limit to the power of artificial intelligence or processing power (as we already sorta have with current processor technology, but there's quantum computing to pick up the slack)

Doesn't quantum computing still have huge issues with interferences from all kinds of natural sources? I've heard it's still at the level of doing mostly basic calculations.

Not to say this won't be solved, but who can say how fast?
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 22, 2013 10:21 am

Yeah, that's why I don't label it "current processor" technology. It's not ready for much of anything, but we can properly also keep adding cores to our cpus for a while longer.

Postby noxux » Wed May 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Man this sounds like some pretty advance technology that could destroy or improve the society
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Grey » Wed May 22, 2013 7:30 pm

it sounds like that because that's exactly what it is.
Suave Brit

Postby Creppy Eggy » Wed May 22, 2013 7:42 pm

Looks like James Cameron's right: Judment Day will come with T-1000 and Terminators fighting us... or I'm just being dramatic.
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby noxux » Wed May 22, 2013 8:52 pm

A little bit of both

This is more like a personal goal but I´m waiting to graduate and take a career on law because people said that I have a chance of being a lawyer and thanks for the advice Blood Lord
Last edited by Blood Lord on Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Just edit your post next time instead of submitting a second post.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Rival » Sat May 25, 2013 6:34 am

I'm excited for the Chamipions League final and for the FIFA World Cup qualification matches on June 7th.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Sentios » Sun May 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Rival wrote:Scientists aren't exactly in agreement on how it'll occur, when it'll occur, or even if it'll occur, so I find the guys placing it for certain during our life time, to be overly optimistic.

With that said, living in a time that you know will change the fate of all humanity would be incredibly exciting, but personally I'm more inclined to believe advanced human genetic engineering will take place during my lifespan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_genetic_engineering

If you're interested in the biological advancement of humans then there http://www.mfoundation.org/

The current idea (at least from Aubrey de Grey) in that direction seems to be once we develop a technique to radically increase human life span (by say a modest 15-30 years) the rate of improvement of that technique will likely develop as fast if not faster than it takes for people to age beyond it's effectiveness. He thinks that if you're middle aged when such a breakthrough is found then you could easily live to 1000 using the reasoning.

http://www.ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_grey ... aging.html

Even without immortality on a genetic level we're getting close to having the ability to rapidly grow complexly structured tissues, like organs. Either through scaffolding methods or through organ printing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_ ... idney.html
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby noxux » Sun May 26, 2013 10:27 pm

Now I´m expecting a nearby con I hear in my country.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Rival » Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 am

Sentios wrote:If you're interested in the biological advancement of humans then there http://www.mfoundation.org/

The current idea (at least from Aubrey de Grey) in that direction seems to be once we develop a technique to radically increase human life span (by say a modest 15-30 years) the rate of improvement of that technique will likely develop as fast if not faster than it takes for people to age beyond it's effectiveness. He thinks that if you're middle aged when such a breakthrough is found then you could easily live to 1000 using the reasoning.

http://www.ted.com/talks/aubrey_de_grey ... aging.html

Even without immortality on a genetic level we're getting close to having the ability to rapidly grow complexly structured tissues, like organs. Either through scaffolding methods or through organ printing.

http://www.ted.com/talks/anthony_atala_ ... idney.html

Ah thanks, the videos even offer Polish subs, that's handy since my vocabulary of medical terms in English, isn't flawless.

I've heard of the Methuselah Foundation. Thanks for the link, I've added their site to my bookmarks, I'll read up on how they present their progress when I have some free time.

Postby Vegedus » Tue May 28, 2013 12:40 pm

The trouble then becomes how to handle near-immortality in a world that is already overpopulated and is only going to become more so...

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion