Embarking On The Art of Storytelling

Fan-fiction, short stories, screenplays, poems -- anything text-based really belongs here.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Embarking On The Art of Storytelling

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon May 27, 2013 12:26 am

Hello everyone.

As I continue to scour throughout the internet for more anime to watch, I have also decided to start considering writing more seriously. On February 2011, I created an online journal for myself. I don't know where I was going with all of this at the time, but what motivated me to start one was the journal feauture that was on the now defunct anime/manga social website TinierMe. (This is the same site that led me to discover dreamself.me, which I introduced to Randori.)

Over a span of two years, I developed a more desirable Psychological state. This would inspire me to slowly come up with ideas and concepts for various stories in which character development was one of the big things I wanted to emphasize. My reaction to some of the anime in the mainstream has also motivated me to consider a well thought out plot as well, and since then, I've been premeditating these ideas for a long time (one story I came up with goes as far back as elementary school.)

However, I do not want to start on these projects yet. My goal right now is to be more proficient in three things: plot, character development, and setting. To do so, I would like to first start out at writing short stories and properly create stories that cater to some of my favorite genres which primarily include Fantasy and Science Fiction. I hope to soon be able to be better at writing stories that will eventually have Action and Adventure in them. But I am open-minded, so considering other genres isn't out of the question, although Slice of Life is an exception.

Many of you who have been in the site for awhile have been writing in the literature section of the website and I was wondering if any of you can give me some advice and tips for me to keep in mind. I will also be asking for advice from others beyond Snafu in order to give me a broader insight on this subject.

I appreciate your help.
Live by the Sword die by the Sword

Re: Embarking On The Art of Storytelling

Postby Birdofterror » Mon May 27, 2013 3:41 am

This seems like an interesting thread. Your... Plight? Is Plight a good word? Asking for help? Anyway, that's not important-

Your 'topic' is one I can help with. You are basically saying-
Bellorosso del Fiore wrote:My goal right now is to be more proficient
In various things. Plot, Characters and Setting. Well, setting is such a flimsy term, setting could be anything from places, to how people react to the entire story-telling arcs in general.

I'm not a pro. I like to think my work is good and I have a couple fans, most of which are now friends and I have a story more successful than I ever thought it could be before. But it didn't start out this way. When I made my first couple chapters, THEY SUCKED.

At least from a technical standpoint. Grammatical errors, punctuation errors, spelling errors- you name it.

Look, my point is the single best thing for stories- and I'm sure this is the same for every profession in the universe, Is experience.

Experience. Just. Do it. Do it, then do it some more.

I've been writing for the greater portion of three years now and I only just started not making rookie mistakes with my writing now. God damn commas.

Look, if there's anything direct you want me- or anyone else in specific to help with, ask away; but I think the single best thing to this is experience and love for your work. So there it is.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Thy Obsessive Freak » Mon May 27, 2013 6:57 pm

You sound like a good writer already, your post was compelling and passionate that I look forward to you writing. If that doesn't sound creepy.

But heck, I'm someone that's only started to learn to write proper English thanks to someone at my island's creative community and I've came a long way on my writing skills and the progress has given me a lot of insight to how others struggle and how to help them. Though yeah if you look up a few professional writing tips, you tend to get ones where they tell you to at least find someone who knows his English, can tell your work if it's a pile of crud and is motivated to help you. Surprisingly though this help can be very hard to get, I was only fortunate, stroke of luck really.
Just thought I'd share that anyways. But yea, most people would be saying your going the right way about it. Writing short stories. I've only started having the confidence to write stories less than one-thousand words, but I'm amazed at how that's helping both my writing and story telling, as your training to get your points across and not worrying about too much.

Anyways good on you for asking for help.
Anyone want ta take look at my own comic?

http://walrusm3.deviantart.com/

The art's quite modest, but I'm told the story's fun.
An obsessed freak

Postby Tuor » Mon May 27, 2013 7:10 pm

I don't really know if the way I write is relevant to you, so take a look and see I guess. If it is then I'd be happy to help with stuff.
Rest Easy Ethan

Return to Literature