The Xbox One

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Xbox One

Postby Brax4 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:17 pm

Introducing the Xbox One

Anybody see this? I'm not too sure about how I feel right now..
Just give me a game system, I don't really use much of anything else on my current Xbox besides video games and the fact that I can listen to music while I play.

I'm hoping they plan on releasing a cheaper version a year after it comes out, that doesn't include all this TV hubub and what-not.

Also, I'm pretty cool with the controller, system design, and the new Kinect looks really good (But it may be for lost if they don't develop any good games with it).
[ LVL 131 ]

Re: The Xbox One

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:27 pm

I think MS is going the wrong direction with this like they have with other products, they're trying to make it everything for everyone and that's a bad idea. Until I see some games running on it that aren't either EA sports or CoD, I'm not enthused. I'm also really turned off by the fact that you have to pay a fee to play used or borrowed games and that they're leaving being always online up to publishers.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Brax4 » Tue May 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Yeah, I actually had a bit of time to read up on it and I completely agree. I'm a bit surprised by the whole "Pay to install the disc" for second systems. I'm going to buy a used game, and pay an extra fee for it? Or worse, borrow a game from a friend and pay for it?

Xbox really needs to get more in tune with their audience, people like me and my friends hang out, enjoy games, bring over different games, and enjoy those, it'd be terrible to bring 4 systems.

What makes it worse is I remember reading somewhere that Microsoft released a statement saying basically "No, we're not going to make used games unplayable for second consoles". I just wished they finished that sentence with "But we will make you pay to put it on".

I'm also not really a fan of all the different "everything" features, but that's something I could get used to, or ignore all together.

The always online thing urks me a bit as well. I'm cringing thinking about the times where my internet has gone out, and how I could no longer be able to play games during it. That's pushing quite a bit of your audience away as well.

This is pretty depressing, but maybe Microsoft will figure some shit out by the Xbox One's release, but I doubt it.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Vegedus » Tue May 21, 2013 4:51 pm

Pretty much the same. Underwhelmed by how all the buzz is on it's media capabilities, rather than as a game system. I can set up a linux media server, I don't need a console to be one. As I hear it though, that isn't the case for a lot of people, the 360 is known as "the netflix machine". It might not be a bad marketing move, but it's not one I'm interested in.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 pm

PC > everything else

nuf said
Mephobiac

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue May 21, 2013 5:33 pm

But the people who use a 360 for it's media capabilities aren't just going to upgrade because of a new model. I use a PS3 with a broken bluray drive as a heavy netflix box, but I'm not going to get a new PS4 to replace it. I also feel that MS is underestimating smart tvs and smart stand alone bluray players.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Lord Frieza » Tue May 21, 2013 6:54 pm

Wow. I've never seen a console war end before it even began.
Planet Pawner

Postby Vegedus » Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 am

Yup.

Postby Exodis » Wed May 22, 2013 2:54 am

Funny: I rarely watch television because I mainly use my tv for video games and movies.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Blood Lord » Wed May 22, 2013 9:21 am

It looks a lot like a VCR that I use to have...

Postby top gear tony » Wed May 22, 2013 11:39 am

Talk about a titanic fuck up on MS's side. I lost interest the second they decided to screw the consumer raw while E3 will be us waiting to see if they're gonna use lube or go in raw.

I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Pay for the "right" to play used game. The fucking cheek.

I have no idea how commas work

Yog: Praise the sun that is Top Gear Tony, a friend to all.
Do I have style points yet

Postby Morpheus » Wed May 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I hope gamestop doesn't sell this.
The fact that I would have to play full price for a game after I bought it used turns me off.
I also wonder what happens after they take off support for the console?
I can go back and play a nes game but 15 years down the line will I be able to do the same with this?

Postby Asmodai » Thu May 23, 2013 10:12 am

I hadn't actually seen the Xbox One presentation until just now, and now that I've seen it I cant help but feel... cheated.

Vague

The entire presentation can be easily summed up in one word; vague ('TV' and 'Sport' would've also sufficed). I already knew that the presentation wasnt going to focus on gaming, since it was broadcast on American television. Microsoft wants to conquer the living room, and it needs more than just games in order to do that. Okay, so they're gonna talk a bit about TV, entertainment, multi-functionality and a little about games. Or so I thought. You can sum up their presentation that way, but the reality is different.

The reality is very vague. They named some features and made some promises, but almost nothing was actually shown. Sure, they showed us you can now Skype using the Kinect, a feature that hardly needs any explanation. We all know how a webcam works and how such a call looks. And they showed us how easily you can switch between game, film, to the TV and back again. Cool, good work, shoulder pat, but this was on the line of expectations. Microsoft wants to be multi-functional an put everything into one device, so you can expect them to solve the problems they themselves created. And it appears like they done so, and now? What is all of this going to do for us?

Yo dawg, I heard you like features

Watch TV, and lots of it, mainly sport. Worldwide sports that everybody loves, like American Football, basketball, those kinds of things. I talked to a friend of mine who's a fan of American Football and even he couldnt get excited about this. There's already so many options to watch sports. "But with the Xbox One, you can switch between TV, movie and games on the fly!" But I only have one pair of eyes. Who watches a movie and TV at the same time. Not even mentioning the fact that all of this is probably not going to work for us European users, since it would require agreements between the providers here and we'll probably be forced to buy new, expensive decoders.

Buzzwords and idiots

The entire presentation was chock-full of buzzwords like 'experience'. It's such a fantastic word since it literally doesn't mean shit. Everything is an 'experience'. Yesterday, I had a fantastic 'train experience' as I took the train back home, quickly followed by a 'dinner experience' as soon as I got there. If that word is vague/slippery/marketing-technical enough for you to make you dry heave, there's always 'transforming television'. What they're transforming, how they're going to do it, or why I should care isn't explained. But I'm only a stupid consumer, I shouldn't worry about such things. Believe Microsoft, it'll be awesome.

I dont want to be treated like an idiot, I want honesty and clarity. The moment people start acting vague, I usually tune out. Microsoft knows exactly what kind of RAM they're using, but they wont show us. It's 8Gb DDR3, and thats less powerful than the GDDR5 memory the Playstation 4 uses. "We'll jut put '8Gb RAM' on the screen, then it'll look just as good as the Playstation 4." Dear Microsoft, I want to believe DDR3 is good enough for your machine, as long as you can show me why. Companies need to stop holding onto their pride, it makes them look fearful.

This became painfully clear thanks to the cheers coming from the 'audience'. You could clearly see that the press was busy typing on their tablets or laptops. All that cheering was coming from people off-screen. Why wont you show us that? These are people that are apparently happy with the announcements, so show us their happiness!... Unless Microsoft has a reason not to show us? Tweets coming from the press quickly tell us that the cheering was coming from the back of the room, where most of the Microsoft employees were sitting. Microsoft was of course hoping that their cheering would be contagious, which made it so painful when it wasn't.

Idiot =/= stupid

I often act like an idiot, but that doesnt mean I'm one all the time. I can clearly see that they're deliberately being vague, because Microsoft is afraid to go toe to toe with the Playstation 4 (psst, the Playstation 4 has superior hardware, dont tell anybody). I can see them using big words, without actually showing examples, in the hopes of blinding the consumer. And I can clearly see that the cheering is coming from some unseen audience. The Playstation 4 presentation wasnt great either, especially considering the hype they generated, but at least they were honest. Sony has a clear vision and they pushed what their device would add to the living room forward (games). Microsoft wants to be the best at everything, but cant. But thats okay, they dont have to be. Its the unique coherence of functions of the Xbox One that makes it a great machine. Still they want us to believe their machine does everything better than the competition. As long as they keep being vague, it'll eventually become truth... In the right context... If the light is at the right angle.

ENOUGH READING HAVE SOME GIFS!

Mephobiac

Postby Remni » Thu May 23, 2013 12:39 pm

Amazing gifs ftw. But really, xbox bombed this entirely. I have absolutely no interest in this P.O.S. after watching all that.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Vegedus » Thu May 23, 2013 4:50 pm

To think, this console generation has lasted 8 years, and the new generation is still redundant.

Postby Remni » Thu May 23, 2013 6:58 pm

I'm still onboard with Nintendo, just waiting to see those killer app games, which should hopefully get on E3. I'm amused that the Nintendo Direct featuring everything is on my bday of all days.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Q.U. » Fri May 24, 2013 11:15 am

>onboard with Nintendo
>killer app games should get on E3

No.

But I think I should explain.

No. Because any new software and hardware should first be evaluated based on their own merits. Not on being necessary to use the merits of others.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:15 pm

So it's not just EA, Square and Capcom with ridiculous sales expectations. http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-pr ... 4454.phtml
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Fri May 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Q.U. wrote:No. Because any new software and hardware should first be evaluated based on their own merits. Not on being necessary to use the merits of others.

... So you're saying we shouldn't base a console on what games is on it?

Postby Q.U. » Fri May 24, 2013 6:24 pm

Building a console around a single top selling game is stupid. The console is hardware. You don't want to buy a $1000 plasma TV that can only ever play one single channel that the manufacturer got paid by, and then all the rest being blurry. Any gaming device needs to be to some extent versatile to make it worthwhile. And as I said, making a crappy piece of shit console but still forcing sales by moving your most popular titles to it and thus forcing your loyal fans to buy a crappy underpowered console just to be able to play a certain game they like is a terrible business solution. Releasing awesome games on a shitty console won't make it a good console. It will only make it a shitty console with good games on it.

Also:

This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby top gear tony » Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Check it out. Microsoft predict that they're going to sift over a "billion" consoles.

http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-predicts-over-a-billion-next-gen-consoles-sold-254454.phtml

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I just posted that like 2 posts ago.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby top gear tony » Fri May 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Oh shit. Don't I feel like a retard.

Postby Biostar » Sat May 25, 2013 1:21 am

Postby Fievel » Sat May 25, 2013 4:21 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:So it's not just EA, Square and Capcom with ridiculous sales expectations. http://www.destructoid.com/microsoft-pr ... 4454.phtml

Damn. That's exceptionally ridiculous.
Offended.

Next

Return to Snafu Gaming