My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Grivous » Mon May 06, 2013 4:09 pm

Upcoming Mini-Figure Collection Set Names - EqD

Octavia Melody!
This is super duper important for my interests(even to my fanfic/book).

And also new music orchestrated by Carbon Maestro, lyrics by Daniel Insgram, and voice by MEMJ.

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue May 07, 2013 3:16 am

The title of this piece is, "Don't You Dare Harm Him"

Isn't that just awesomely cute?

Just look at Fluttershy's face.
She all like, "If you mess with my buddy here I'll be whoopin' your ass."

Bark

Postby J-Dude » Tue May 07, 2013 3:31 am

@Grivous

God damn, that cover is AMAZING...

I don't get why covers like these aren't the ONLY ones that make it to Youtube. I come across so many, all with voicework I could emulate on terrible microphones, and I don't understand how someone can bear to advertise their embarrassing failure across the world's largest public video hosting website...

My only complaint really is that at the end of the chapter he seems to have won. Perhaps I was a bit too quick in speaking of Mandeville being 'right'. I was thinking mostly in context to his little speech about how Equestrian history would play out after he removes Celestia and Luna. Even without his prodding it could certainly go that way, and doubly so under his influence. The thought that it is even plausible is a terrifying one, and in that one regard he may just be 'right.' He certainly didn't prove it to the reader and not to the ponies of Equestria but through sheer force of victory he in a way proved it to himself.   

Ah... okay, that's what you meant. Yeah, bit of a tossup, ain't it? Of course, ponies are ALREADY wondering just what Luna and Celestia might do, so inevitably SOME of it will come to pass. It really is the ultimate test of the sisters' influence on their subjects over the millenia.   
   If I may offer some criticism here, one of the last things you want to do is leave your readers feeling hopeless and that things can never ever be put right again. Even if that is the case like the way it is at the end of chapter ten you don't want them left with that impression. What point is there to read on if the villain has won, our heroes are dead, and there is nothing left to hope for? There really isn't. It's for this reason I believe those two FimFiction readers of yours jumped ship. A couple lines to a paragraph at the end giving a sort of epilogue and that somepony somewhere was plotting something or having a meeting, or stirring, or doing something somewhere would have done wonderfully to temper the mood. Just something to indicate that this wasn't in fact the end. Just my two cents anyway.   

Yeah, I dunno, I just didn't want to ruin the downbeat nature of that chapter end.

It was the biggest risk I've taken with this story, and I wanted it to be balls-out bold without apology. I fully expected a person or two to jump ship, but I figured that if the readers stuck with me beyond this, it would make the story unforgettable, and be worth it. I figured it would get people talking, though I admit there WAS confusion regarding whether or not the story was over.

I dunno, I actually wrote and rewrote the end of chapter ten a few times. One version DID have a sort of "to be continued" vibe, with Smolder, Spitfire and the soldiers offering a salute to Twilight before helping the M6 carry her, a still unconscious Rarity and the princesses off. Problem with that was, it felt really cornball and tacked something cheesy and cliche onto an otherwise shocking turn of events. I elected to just leave it be. Yeah, probably could be rewritten for clarity.   

Anyway, LIBRARY MODEL IS DONE!!!

Textured, with cel-shaders and everything!

I dunno about you, but I think it looks bitchin'!
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue May 07, 2013 3:55 am

Holy crap... J-Dude, that's some mighty impressive work. That's something I'd want in a 3d MLP game if I ever played one I wanted to.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby TheLivingCouch » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 pm

Looking good J-Dude. Damn good actually. Really nice work. It's funny though. If you'd allow me to wax nostalgic for a moment, considering what the both of us are doing within the fandom it really is amazing how far we've come since PPGD-R. Damn if it doesn't feel like it was forever and a day ago though.

J-Dude wrote:   Yeah, I dunno, I just didn't want to ruin the downbeat nature of that chapter end.

It was the biggest risk I've taken with this story, and I wanted it to be balls-out bold without apology. I fully expected a person or two to jump ship, but I figured that if the readers stuck with me beyond this, it would make the story unforgettable, and be worth it. I figured it would get people talking, though I admit there WAS confusion regarding whether or not the story was over.

I dunno, I actually wrote and rewrote the end of chapter ten a few times. One version DID have a sort of "to be continued" vibe, with Smolder, Spitfire and the soldiers offering a salute to Twilight before helping the M6 carry her, a still unconscious Rarity and the princesses off. Problem with that was, it felt really cornball and tacked something cheesy and cliche onto an otherwise shocking turn of events. I elected to just leave it be. Yeah, probably could be rewritten for clarity.   

I absolutely agree. That chapter was easily the biggest risk you've taken in the fic to that point. Haven't read any further just yet but with the president you set I'm hoping for a damn spectacular payoff in the end.

I also completely understand rewriting the ending a few times. It's the kind of thing you really need to get perfect if you're going to pull that sort of thing off. Now, on the surface I kind of like that previous ending of yours. Cornball as it might be some kind of closure is always welcome. A funeral procession, some tears, that sort of thing. Cliche isn't always a bad thing. After a gigantic change like what happened in Ch 10 a little familiarity and change of tone would be a welcome thing.

Take the last chapter of Life is a Lemon for example. When the ghost of Lemon Dream's sister comes back to speak to her the dialogue is so sappy and cliche, and at the same time down right wonderful because it's tugging at the heartstrings in just the right damn way.

Still, the sort of scene you mentioned would change the feeling of that final scene. You want readers to be filled with loss and shock and despair coming out of that chapter. I can certainly understand that desire but at the same time like you said there does need to be some clarity that things are far far from over. On it's head though I don't see a way to make that clear without changing the tone of the ending at least a little bit.

As it stands you leave the reader A) Infuriated at Mandeville, B) Shocked and sorrowful at the death of so many prominent characters, and C) Hopeless that things are going to get better. That last part is where the clarity issue comes into play. The reader cannot be sure that the story isn't over right then and there so long as they are not feeling any hope for the Mane 6 and Equestria at large. For that to happen you, at the very least. need to show that somepony somewhere has the resolve to do something. It doesn't need to be long or pronounced, simply one of the Mane 6 or Wonderbolts, Shining Armor, or anypony else even remotely mentionable, glaring daggers at Mandeville and walking off with a look of determination in their eyes. Just an indication that somepony isn't beaten and hasn't given up yet.

This will however temper the mood somewhat. You'll still have the shock and horror certainly but that hopelessness will be tempered by that knowledge that somepony is at least going to try their damnedest to set things right again. There is a trade off there; clarity or impact. It's a tough choice really. I'd go with clarity myself seeing that Twilight's hanging compounded the impact the rest of the chapter already had so some tempering is in order to set of for the third act. Then again you might want to/did use the beginning of Ch 11 for that.

All up to you really and how you want to string the reader along. I'm just looking at it from the perspective of always leaving the reader wanting more. It's unfortunate but sometimes that conflicts with the impact and impression you want to leave them with. So it goes.   

Postby Dibullba » Wed May 08, 2013 1:16 am

Three vids and a Sailor Pony comic

You will probably love this one Grievous

Postby Grivous » Wed May 08, 2013 7:57 am

Dibullba wrote:You will probably love this one Grievous

I didn't hear this song in ages! Nostalgia feelings!
David Guetta, oh my! I am gonna hear it from the entire month.

Also: This plushie! Look. At. This. Goddamn. Plushie!

Equestria Daily

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm

That is one fine plushie, Grievous.

Also, been meaning to show these for a while. Wind Waker style ponies!

Only one, but there's a LOT more over in here.
An Optimist

Postby punzil504 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Pretty much what it says on the label.

Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Dibullba » Thu May 09, 2013 1:26 am

I seem to notice a lack of songs being posted in here... LET'S REMEDY THAT!!!

Postby J-Dude » Thu May 09, 2013 4:22 am

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/05/m ... -wide.html

Oh YAY!

Was originally gonna drive forty minutes away to see Equestria Girls, but now I find the local small-time movie theater (which the Regal theater I work at RAPES in terms of business and big titles) five minutes from my work will be showing it too!

Well, makes sense, given they're the ones who always show foreign titles nobody else picks up or advertizes... and yet WE were the poor bastards last year to screen "Oogieloves," so figure that one out...
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu May 09, 2013 6:32 am

I'm... slightly scared about this. I'm just imagining a big fit of confusion from parents if they have kids that watch the show... It's going to be a really weird situation.

But... I'm going. I'm going to San Fransisco to watch it. It'll be a good couple hour journey, but it will be just to see what goes down first hand.

Also, found a music thing.

An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu May 09, 2013 7:55 am

Leave it to me to find something silly and morbid like this:

Poor Dan. Lucky for him this isn't canon.
I do like the way Bon Bon says, "Lyyyra."

Sorin and Spitfire have some relationship problems:
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Fri May 10, 2013 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 am

Those... have been posted before, Mutt. But I'm still in love with them.
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri May 10, 2013 12:48 am

Oh well crap. Sorry, I didn't find out about this thread until it was like 500 pages in. At least whenever I accidently post something that's already been put up, no one seems to mind.

Well here's something cute that I'm almost certain hasn't been posted before:

Bark

Postby Dibullba » Fri May 10, 2013 3:52 am

This was really entertaining.    I freakin lost it with the Drill Instructor   

Postby Grieffon » Fri May 10, 2013 2:12 pm

Official website.

Really hope you are right, Kusang.

Postby Dibullba » Fri May 10, 2013 2:41 pm

Quick thought on Equestria Girls. Since Twilight will be going through a mirror to get to this other world. Could it be possible that it is referencing Alice in Wonderland by doing so. Though of course I doubt it would go beyond just the mirror, it really is an interesting prospect XD.

Postby Grivous » Fri May 10, 2013 4:45 pm

@Dibullba:

Or it can be a reference of the Mirror of Erised.

Which means that Twilights most desired wish.... is being a human? Or half of it?

Sounds like she stoled someponys desire........

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Grivous » Sat May 11, 2013 8:53 pm

Episodes from the brazilian MLP fanchannel by EpisodiosDublados are shutting down by Hasbro's copyrights.

Tsc, what the heck Hasbro...

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat May 11, 2013 10:58 pm

This is now my favorite Berry Punch related comic:

http://doublewbrothers.deviantart.com/a ... -370582903

Link because of how long it is.
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun May 12, 2013 12:18 am

Grieffon wrote:Image

Official website.

Really hope you are right, Kusang.

It sucks I can't get to see it in my local theatre.

Suuuuuuucks.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun May 12, 2013 12:22 pm

This is so cute that you may collapse from the sheer levels of Dawww:

Bark

Postby J-Dude » Sun May 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Aaaaand another building. Just a stock Ponyville house. Barely took a day to model the house, but the shrubs and stuff tend to take time, and the Photoshop work took the brunt of it since I hand-produce the textures.

Good news is, once I have a good stock of images for windows, door and other such common details I can shill these out en-masse. Still, a couple days for a random background house from scratch is leagues better than the month Twilight's library took me, and with these the details aren't as crucial.

Postby Grieffon » Sun May 12, 2013 8:28 pm

@JD: Wow, just how many models will you make?

Equestria Girls trailer. Yes, it's out. I still think the "humans exactly like pony friends" is stupid, but at least it doesn't look too bad.

Let's hope it doesn't fall into every high school teenager cliche in existence.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)