My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Grieffon » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:13 pm

Grivous wrote:This is the third or even fourth time I see Bronies artists making a picture with this theme: Rarity Fighting Against a Giant Crab. Like this, from last Drawfriend: Rarity x Giant Crab

And if you look at Google: Click here

What is the meaning of this fight/theme?

There's a tumblr called 30 minute art challenge (NSFW, but you can use the SFW tag to filter it out). Everyday they issue a theme, and artists must draw according to that theme in a limited time, usually 30 minutes, and submit to the tumblr. One of the past challenges was "Rarity fighting a giant crab". It was a weird and funny idea so people continued drawing it even after the challenge.

Anyone remembers the title cards in old cartoons? Someone is making those for FiM.

Check out the rest here. New ones are added frequently, though in no particular order.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:19 pm

Wow, those are really well done.
So far the only series I've seen that still does title cards is Adventure Time.
I really like the creativity with these MLP Title cards.
"Sister Hooves Social" is my favorite. It almost makes Sweetie Bele look a bit... unstable.
Bark

Postby Grivous » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:30 pm

Hm, alright. Thanks, Grieffon!

Also: somehow, this picture gave me a The Sims 1 nostalgia(is that right?).

Now hear one of these soundtracks while looking at the picture:

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby J-Dude » Wed May 01, 2013 4:47 pm

Woot!

FINALLY, I've finished modeling this sucker... Such an involved model.

And as you can tell by this untextured shot, all of those details like railings, various shapes and bits are all modeled, and not alpha-mapped sprite textures.

The detail on the leafy bits is noticeably low, but this is without any subdivision on the model, and this was meant for cel-shading materials which might benefit more from harsh and angular shapes than smooth ones.

Given I'll mostly be applying pretty simple detail textures for leaf patterns and wood-grain, UV mapping won't take long. I do however need to head to work soon.

Thus ends this MASSIVE trial of my patience and fortitude, and I'll be able to continue to some of the simpler Ponyville structures.

And no, I won't forget the surrounding elements of the Library like the sunflowers or that tiny tree to the right of it, nor the bushes surrounding the base.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed May 01, 2013 5:16 pm

A new animation by Petirep and friends:
Its not a RDP but its still pretty funny:

Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 pm

^I could relate to this in so many ways... SO MANY WAYS! Especially the bus thing. There really is no reason for buses to leave early at stops, but noooooooooooooooooooooooooo... They do it, and it's gotten me in tight situations. Jerk...
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Thu May 02, 2013 1:25 am

This amused me

Also forgot if this had been posted, but here it is anyways

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu May 02, 2013 8:31 am

JD, Nice work on the huge tree. This is just the exterior of the Tree house, right? You haven't worked on the interiors, right? Now that would be another beast to deal with.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby J-Dude » Thu May 02, 2013 11:52 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:JD, Nice work on the huge tree. This is just the exterior of the Tree house, right? You haven't worked on the interiors, right? Now that would be another beast to deal with.

Thanks! Glad someone noticed, I've been starting to think a bunch of people have me on "ignore" for some reason. Yeah, definitely haven't done the interior. I'll only do that if and when it becomes necessary, and it'll be separate from the outdoor scene.

Hey, speaking of which... clearly having worked on the show, you'd have some better idea of the layouts of certain things. If I asked you what the deal was with Canterlot, would you be able to explain at all?

What I mean is, I know I'll be modeling it at some point, and clearly it's a pretty big city. But given zoom-out shots we've had of it in the past, seeing how big the ponies are compared to the buildings, it's apparent that what we see isn't what we get. There's just not enough room if the entire city is proportionally even.

So, does that mean what we see head-on is just a basic profile, and the rest of it stretches out along the mountain behind it?

I know the answer is probably "the exterior shot and the in-city shots are largely isolated from each other, and thus Canterlot is shaped however it needs to be episode to episode," but if I'm going to be doing freaking battle scenes centered around Canterlot, or hell, even SHOWING it in the BACKGROUND in 3d, it'd be nice to at least show a low-res shape from the exterior that looks like it could actually contain the thing.

And clearly I'm not the only one with those concerns. Those second-life folks had to do THIS to reconcile the apparent size of the city with the iconic shape you see in the distance.

http://derpibooru.org/158632?scope=scpe ... 1d213306a3
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu May 02, 2013 1:21 pm

The updated synopsis of the movie if you haven't seen it yet J-Dude. Also great work on the model.

When a crown is stolen from the Crystal Empire, Twilight Sparkle pursues the thief into an alternate world where she transforms into a teenage girl who must survive her biggest challenge yet… high school. With help from her new friends who remind her of Ponyville’s Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy, she embarks upon a quest to find the crown and change the destiny of these two parallel worlds.

Like you the last one had me actually kind of interested. This however leaves me face palming up and down. First the crown in question doesn't seem to be the Element of Magic, which I think we both assumed was the case, and second the rest of the Mane Six don't travel with her. Are you telling me that you are going to send Twi to an alternate dimension without her friends only to meet new ones that look and act just like the old ones? Come on. Also that "biggest challenge yet... high school." line never ever ceases to be lame.

Can they pull it off? It's possible. Will they pull it off? I'm not going to make a prediction yet, but I will say my expectations are trending negative. We'll see how it turns out. At the very least the music will be good with Ingram in the mix. Should be interesting anyway.

Postby J-Dude » Thu May 02, 2013 2:03 pm

TheLivingCouch wrote:The updated synopsis of the movie if you haven't seen it yet J-Dude. Also great work on the model.

When a crown is stolen from the Crystal Empire, Twilight Sparkle pursues the thief into an alternate world where she transforms into a teenage girl who must survive her biggest challenge yet… high school. With help from her new friends who remind her of Ponyville’s Applejack, Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Fluttershy, she embarks upon a quest to find the crown and change the destiny of these two parallel worlds.

Like you the last one had me actually kind of interested. This however leaves me face palming up and down. First the crown in question doesn't seem to be the Element of Magic, which I think we both assumed was the case, and second the rest of the Mane Six don't travel with her. Are you telling me that you are going to send Twi to an alternate dimension without her friends only to meet new ones that look and act just like the old ones? Come on. Also that "biggest challenge yet... high school." line never ever ceases to be lame.

Can they pull it off? It's possible. Will they pull it off? I'm not going to make a prediction yet, but I will say my expectations are trending negative. We'll see how it turns out. At the very least the music will be good with Ingram in the mix. Should be interesting anyway.

Also yeah, seen it.

And I couldn't care less about the implications of the synopsis, I'm still eager as hell. Yeah, Element of Magic would've made sense, but it's not huge to me if that's not it.

I also don't care about the high school thing, as long as it's OUR Twilight Sparkle undercover here. I get it, she's on her own and needs her friends, and gets to conquer through friendship while making friends all over again. I see what they're doing.

But really, all that matters is that it's Twilight interacting with a human world. It's what I'm paying for. I'm fully aware that Kate and Leopold isn't a good movie and barely makes any sense, but damnit, I'm there to see Hugh Jackman stumble over modern American culture, marvel at technology and act like a posh sexual god.

If I get to see Twilight gawk at her human form and interact with anything as modern as a car, I'm getting what I wanted.

Of course, it always helps that for me, Twilight is best pony ;-p

And I'm aware this could end as lame as the villain getting trapped in a net on prom night... still, worth it.

Postby Drago2552 » Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

Hey guys i am a brony as well. First time i posted here. so what is going on in mlp. i saw all the seasons and know mostly everything in mlp. I want to get up to date on what is going on in this thred if some could explain that would be great.

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu May 02, 2013 4:07 pm

Hello, and welcome goodly Drago. Right now the topic seems to be the Equestria Girls spin off movie, but feel free to bring up anything you'd like to discuss.

Truth. Twilight is best pony. You'll get no debate from me on that.

On the Equestria Girls though, I'm still not so sure. Sure the whole culture shock aspect here could make for some delicious scenes. I'd love to see Twilight marvel at modern technology. I'd also love to see some scene of her just learning to use her hands, worrying about not having a place to stay, or lamenting that she has to go back to school when she's long since graduated. I'd love to see her in class and just show up some teacher by knowing all the damn answers.

While I do love this kind of stuff that kind of thing, alone isn't going to be enough to redeem the whole movie though it will be a good start. What I'd like to see out of this is something close to what Recess does in their episodes. School happens but it isn't a huge part of any given episode. I'd much rather they blow past most of the school parts and get right down to the character interaction and more importantly the adventure. It appears we have a fate of two worlds thing going on here and I'd rather not have them bog it down with needless school stuff.

I can see what can go right and what can go wrong. It's really in how they play it. I'm just hoping it's going to be more Return of Harmony than any given episode of Scooby Doo. We'll see though.

~~~

That being said I've been sticking my nose in some fic lately. Yay! Let's get down to it shall we.

Life is a Lemon - This one is about a pony who thinks she's a lemon complete with all the unfortunate implications. This may appear to be a comedy at first glance but believe you me it is not. This is a sad one. Saying too much would give it away but this one seriously had me tearing up at the end. Not tears shed but damn close. It ends in one of those super cliche but powerful ways that really hit home for me. Good good stuff. Also has a live reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG4CFnPkdss

Home Is Where the Harp Is - This one is a mildly dark fic about the smooze attacking Equestria. It's kind of horrifying the way it spreads and how little hope they have against it as it does. Ends on a good note however as the last pony standing is able to talk it down. This one too has a live reading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l3qE7QshSk
The Fight For Cranberry Hill - Don't know if I've mentioned this one before but this here is a delightful little romp. The CMC and the other schoolyard ponies fight an epic snowball war against Diamond Tiara, Silver Spoon and a bunch of older school age ponies. Short, sweet and funny. An absolute blast to read.

Friendship Is Optimal - Here is an interesting little fic I found . It's essentially about the technological singularity if you can believe it. Hasbro sets out to make an MLP MMO and goes to a company that specializes in dynamically generated content and true AI. The Celest-AI is given one goal, satisfy the player's values through friendship and ponies. Eventually the AI becomes so smart and offers such an improvement over our current life as humans that it manages to convince the better part of the world's population to upload their minds into the game. It's a reasonably short read and utterly fascinating to boot.

In other news Upheaval: Reckoning continues to be awesome and a whole lot of fics that I'd like to update just don't seem to be updating, but so it goes. *shakes fist* Curse you Short Skirts and Explosions! Merf. Anywho I think I'll finally catch up on Black Equinox now.

Postby Dibullba » Thu May 02, 2013 4:15 pm

Drago2552 wrote:Hey guys i am a brony as well. First time i posted here. so what is going on in mlp. i saw all the seasons and know mostly everything in mlp. I want to get up to date on what is going on in this thred if some could explain that would be great.

Essentially what goes on in this thread is mostly people sharing various things in the brony community on this forum. Whenever new episodes come out, people will discuss their thoughts on the new episode in spoiler font. A few people on here also share projects that they work on such as J-Dude with Black Equinox, Ganon with CRISIS: EQUESTRIA, and one other that shall not be mentioned for confidential reasons.

Postby Grieffon » Thu May 02, 2013 6:12 pm

@J Dude:
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the complete model, and even moreso to see it in action.

@Drago: Welcome. Just know "ponies" and you are good to go here.

TheLivingCouch wrote:Truth. Twilight is best pony. You'll get no debate from me on that.

I'll let that slide for now...

This just made me lose my interest. Letting her have 5 high school friends that are identical to the rest of the mane 6 just doesn't sound like anything that can work well.

Let's hope they don't make Twilight fall for a good-looking sport captain who turns out to be the crown thief. I doubt anyone can come up with anything worse than that.

Postby punzil504 » Thu May 02, 2013 6:37 pm

TheLivingCouch wrote: *shakes fist* Curse you Short Skirts and Explosions! Merf. Anywho I think I'll finally catch up on Black Equinox now.

Does your irritation with SS&E have anything to do with "Applejack is Full of Squirrels"?
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby BeeAre » Thu May 02, 2013 6:52 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:A new animation by Petirep and friends:
Its not a RDP but its still pretty funny:

this is some dope pony shit man. I like everything about it. Under its initial appearance it offers a sort of "haha" at the too serious while still being a coherent narrative. Very grood.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 pm

TheLivingCouch wrote:
Life is a Lemon - This one is about a pony who thinks she's a lemon complete with all the unfortunate implications. This may appear to be a comedy at first glance but believe you me it is not. This is a sad one. Saying too much would give it away but this one seriously had me tearing up at the end. Not tears shed but damn close. It ends in one of those super cliche but powerful ways that really hit home for me. Good good stuff. Also has a live reading.

Oh pooh, when I saw the plot synopsis I though that, if she though she was a lemon, she would at some point spend time jumping in and out of a small lake that though it was a gin and tonic! (H2G2 joke)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu May 02, 2013 7:05 pm

punzil504 wrote:Does your irritation with SS&E have anything to do with "Applejack is Full of Squirrels"?

Not in the strictest sense. Only that he hasn't gotten back to working on End of Ponies yes. I want more and I cannot has.

Postby Grieffon » Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

Anyone here reads the official comic? Unlike the show, they get away with everything, so they have even more potential than the show.

They can even get away with killing cats for no good reason.

It maybe alternate canon, but it's still canon.

Postby Rukair » Thu May 02, 2013 7:58 pm

Hello fellow Bronies, my name is Rukair and I have been a brony for 2 years now! Has it been 2 years? Well thats not important now I'm glad to say hi to all of you and to experince the fun and excitement.
@Grieffon
No I don't but I would Love to read them.

*edit
I forget to mention that its thanks to this forum that I became a Bronie ssssooo... Thank You for converting me to the herd.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu May 02, 2013 8:03 pm

Welcome to the forum Rukair. Feel free to share anything pony related that you find interesting or funny.
Bark

Postby Rukair » Thu May 02, 2013 8:15 pm

Thanks Mad-Mutt and I do have some things to share fimfictions! The story I'm about to share with you is the first fimfiction I ever read and it's awsome.

Substitute Harmony
When strange ponies from another world suddenly pony-nap all her friends, Pinkie Pie must find a way to defeat their master all on her own. Blamed for the crime herself, she has no help from Celestia and just about every pony in Ponyville is convinced that she's finally cracked. Who can she possibly find to fill in for the other Elements of Harmony, and help her defeat the ancient evil behind it all?
If you want to read just click on the link http://www.fimfiction.net/story/706/substitute-harmony

Petriculture
In an effort to keep her mind occupied, Twilight Sparkle decides to delve once again into the grand mysteries of Pinkie Pie. This time, Twilight's focus is on her claims of growing up on a rock farm: like so many things related to Pinkie Pie, the idea that somepony could grow rocks as an agricultural product makes absolutely no sense. However, the investigation eventually leads Twilight to a rather... surprising discovery.
If you want to read just click on the link http://www.fimfiction.net/story/14298/petriculture

Postby Blood Lord » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Welcome Rukair. Cool name.

Enjoy your stay here at Snafu, read the rules, play nice with others, stay out of the Vicodin, etc.

Also, visit around the site and explore things.

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu May 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Admittedly I haven't actually gotten around to reading Substitute Harmony. It's on my ever growing 'to be read' list. I'll get to it at some point. Ah but Perticulture there is an interesting fic. I didn't much like it but it was certainly worth a read or a listen as my case may be. Did I mention how much I love live live readings, because I do. Anywho, what really got me was the major plot twist at the end. It's one of those stories that really wants you to accept what it presents into your own headcanon and I just can't. I much prefer to think of Pinkie as her own mare with her own life and backstory as opposed to    an imaginary friend sprung fully formed from Twilight's mind.    It was well written but not my cup of tea.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)