They Might be Titans

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

They Might be Titans

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:43 pm

As with many superhero stories this one begins with the comic book series. This series was called, "Teen Titans" who would later be know in the comic book world simply as, "The Titans" because we can't be teenagers forever.

A few years ago a TV series was created based off of this very comic book series and they show's creators took a few creative liberties. Some you would only spot if you read the comics, like how Tera is a lot less evil. But one of the biggest changes they made was the art direction and the style of the show which was heavily infulenced by Japanese anime.
There were many fans of the show myself included and it became a long running series until its eventual end.
Not wanting to say good-bye to the characters completely CN's DC Nation made a few Teen Titans shorts that featured a rather "Chibi" look for the characters.
This may have been what helped the idea of this new show, "Teen Titans GO" become a thing.

Okay history lesson over.

If you're a fan of the first Teen Titans show that CN ran then you probably already know about all that. Ever since it announcement, "Teen Titans Go" seems to have the fandom of the previous show split right down the middle. There are people who are either willing to give it a chance or don't even thinks its worth their time and some go as far as to hate it on sight.

It kiddy visual and art style and more humorous appoach have been met with verying degrees of, "Okaaaay..."
A few days go as of typing this the first episode aired and the reaction was what I expected.
Half of people going, "This was actually pretty funny!'
The other half going, "This sucks I hate it!"
There are still some who are inbetween and unsure as to if the show will hold up. That was obviously a simplified look at it that was sort of mocking the stereotypical Youtube commenter.
Some people aren't as interested in straight up comedy and want some action and drama in their stories and that's fine. The original show was actually pretty funny, but it knew when to turn off the jokes for the dramatic moments.
A spin off like this really needs to have its own identity. If it didn't then what's the purpose of it? You might as well have put the original show back on the air, a thing that I'm sure fans of the show would not have minded, myself included. To some the sudden shift to comedy was really jarring even if the show is still using a form of Japanese style animation for its look. A style that is sometimes used for kid's shows.

Personally, I thought a few of the jokes were pretty funny. I did kind of like how Raven was watching the My Little Pony knock off. I know this might not mean much coming from a fan of the show it was parodying, but I do kind of like the Raven that secretly likes cute things, its kind of humanizing which is something you do need in comedy.
Of course the original show had it humanizing moments, but I was surprised they did something like that in the first episode, have their "darkest character" enjoy shows about colorful cartoon horses.
And yes I'm aware that Raven's voice actress is Tara Strong whose voice is pretty much everywhere these days, which makes it a bit funnier.

Not all the jokes were great though, Starfire getting pissed about her hair being burned was a bit stereotypical and she never had a problem with it in the last show and I'd be lying if I said I didn't find Cyborg and Beast Boy's pie song to be a bit annoying. Also that second episode was surprisingly dark (which I found funny because I'm a sick fuck) but were they really eating pies made out of human fleash that entire time?

I can't tell if the show will hold up and be worth a damn after a single half hour. I thought some jokes were funny and others not so much. The first episode was an over the top mission to get a sandwich complete with sandwich gardeons while Robin does next to nothing, but stand in line at a store. While the second episode was about Beast Boy earning money for a gift for Cyborg's birthday party while an evil old lady makes human beings into pies and serves them to her customers.
(I kind of like the second episdoe more, but that's not saying much)

This new show is obviously different, but different isn't always bad. As Doug Walker the Nostalgia Critic once pointed out in one of his videos, something different in our favorite shows is often met with negative resoponces.
This show might not last past the first season or it may end up doing very well, only time will tell.

I for one am willing to give the show a chance to prove itself depsite my mixed reaction to its first two episodes, but what is your opinion.

Do you think its okay or is it not your cup of tea.
Do think its funny as hell, or the devil's diarreha.

I hope you share your opinions below.
Bark

Re: They Might be Titans

Postby Mir@k » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:50 pm

This article sucks because it has no pictures and/or formatting >:|
No but seriously i'm not surprised, with the new style they plan to use with the powerpuff girls it seems that these kinds of changes are mandatory
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Maru » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 pm

It just looks kinda insulting on the surface. I grew up on it, and loved almost every minute. But then, I have yet to watch it for myself, so I guess I won't have a solid opinion until then.
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat singing of Vocaloid songs)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Merry Christmas Bitch

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:23 pm

I have zero interest in it.

I had fun with it growing up, and don't need to relive it like this.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:25 pm

To be honest, the trailer looks so degrading I don't even want to try. From the looks of it, it is something straight up silly-funny, which I have never liked.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:02 am

Mir@k wrote:This article sucks because it has no pictures and/or formatting >:|
No but seriously i'm not surprised, with the new style they plan to use with the powerpuff girls it seems that these kinds of changes are mandatory

Oh hey look, I finally got trolled by Mir@k, that seems to be like a right of passage on this site. Thanks dude, never have felt more welcome until now. Kind of miss the Rocky Horror gifs though, that always makes it just the slightest more strange. Meh, its just a jump to the left I suppose.

Maru wrote:It just looks kinda insulting on the surface. I grew up on it, and loved almost every minute. But then, I have yet to watch it for myself, so I guess I won't have a solid opinion until then.

I never personally took it as insulting. Sure its childish looking... but I don't know how to end this sentence...

Blood Lord wrote:I have zero interest in it. I had fun with it growing up, and don't need to relive it like this.

Grieffon wrote:To be honest, the trailer looks so degrading I don't even want to try. From the looks of it, it is something straight up silly-funny, which I have never liked.

Not up your ally. I still am a little half and half myself. Not all the jokes really stood out for me with the exception of one or two. CN was made to appeal to children so stuff like this is to be expected from a network like this. Doesn't mean we have to like it though.
I for one still prefer the first series over what I've seen of the new show so far. (Its only been two episodes so its not much.)

Well, the general consensus seems to be, "Screw it," so far.
If no body has anything different to say feel free to lock the thread.
If there's no one around on the other side of the argument there probably won't be any point in discussing it further.
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:05 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:If no body has anything different to say feel free to lock the thread.
If there's no one around on the other side of the argument there probably won't be any point in discussing it further.

Just give it sometime. This has only been up for a day.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blasphemy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 am

I just saw the first episode a few hours ago. Most of their designs bothered me at first and they still kind of do. Beast Boy's design really grew on me very quickly and now he just looks adorable to me. I loved the reference to Mother Mae-Eye they made in the second episode and I really like the second episode because I enjoyed watching Cyborg and Beast Boy's friendship. I actually kind of liked the song too, but to each their own. Raven watching the MLP clone and playing with the ponies was cute too.

I'm half and half on the show. I'm interested in seeing where this goes, but at the same time I don't really want to watch more. Watching this reboot just makes me really miss the first series a lot and not just because of good memories, but because of the story, the characters, the villains. This is one of the few cartoons that I could watch reruns of over and over again because I just love the show that much. Like Mad-Mutt said, the creators knew how to set the mood without ruining it. It's jokes were funny too. Honestly, I would say I was incredibly disappointed by the last season, including the last episode. The last season just brought in a bunch of different titans that usually didn't stay for more than one episode and the closing episode still bothers me a bit. I know some say that it was a good closing episode, but it hardly felt like closure to me. Slade was still out and about and Terra randomly came back for some unknown reason and they didn't really explain why either. It was the first show to really make me like a pairing; BBRaven. Even after all of this time, I STILL love the pairing to bits. Supposedly, BB's voice actor said that there would be moments of said pairing, but I haven't confirmed that so I'm not going to hinge on it. If it is true though, it makes me a tiny bit more interested in following the series.

I'm going to watch the next episode on the 30th and see how it goes. I'm not expecting too much from it. I'm more interested in the PPG reboot.
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
-Henri Poincare

Tumblrs: Personal|Pokemon X Adventure Challenge|Pokemon Y Adventure Challenge
Maid of Nope

Postby Biostar » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:15 am

Meh, its pretty much what I expected. A spin-off that's more comedy-based.

The comedy and writing is okay enough so far that I can watch it as a way to kill time (the double irony of the Raven joke was gold), but I most likely won't get invested anymore beyond that. I would've preferred if they had just kept it as a series of shorts.

I wish they would focus on more original shows. But it doesn't seem like the season for it.

We're getting ANOTHER Batman cartoon. I wanted more GL instead.

Ugh

Postby Blasphemy » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:37 am

Now that I remember, I would like to see S.B.F.F. get its own show. It was so cute!
"To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection."
-Henri Poincare

Tumblrs: Personal|Pokemon X Adventure Challenge|Pokemon Y Adventure Challenge
Maid of Nope

Postby Saint Soul » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:58 am

I'm being reminded of fandom that is this all the time. I just can't think of its name.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Grieffon » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:06 am

I watched the first episode, it was okay. Kind of amusing, but nothing beyond that. Starfire caring about her hair feels more OOC than anything. I will watch some more to see how they handle Raven and Robin, but so far it doesn't look like anything worthwhile.

Postby Rival » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Haven't watched an episode of it yet, the trailer hasn't really motivated me to be interested in it. I think it has a good shot at being successful and managing a 3-4 season run though, if the new Looney Tunes Show has taught me anything, it's that well recognized characters in tired sitcom plots is what Time Warner, and to an extent the US Cartoon Network viewership, currently want.

A few things, mostly me being nit-picky and/or complaining about people:

Mad-Mutt wrote:This new show is obviously different, but different isn't always bad. As Doug Walker the Nostalgia Critic once pointed out in one of his videos, something different in our favorite shows is often met with negative resoponces.

Why bring him up as some sort of authority or cite him in this case? He's a guy who got popular because the average youtube viewer likes badly acted pretend anger. Thousands of people have noticed "fans" being intolerant to changes to their favorite shows before Doug Walker did, the word "fan" comes from "fanatic" afterall.
Mad-Mutt wrote:Personally, I thought a few of the jokes were pretty funny. I did kind of like how Raven was watching the My Little Pony knock off. I know this might not mean much coming from a fan of the show it was parodying, but I do kind of like the Raven that secretly likes cute things, its kind of humanizing which is something you do need in comedy.
Of course the original show had it humanizing moments, but I was surprised they did something like that in the first episode, have their "darkest character" enjoy shows about colorful cartoon horses.
And yes I'm aware that Raven's voice actress is Tara Strong whose voice is pretty much everywhere these days, which makes it a bit funnier.

To me that actually makes it less funny. It'd be ok as a character moment, but it's clearly meant as a reference to Tara Strong. And while she is a great voice actress, her recent twitter "flirting" with her fanatical brony following and voicing of fanmade crap like this video:

Makes me view Strong as somewhat of an attention-whore. So what'd normally be a cute meta joke, becomes a bit obnoxious due to Tara Strong doing the whole "Oh btw. I voice Twilight Sparkle!" thing, too often.
Mad-Mutt wrote:Not up your ally.

Not up your alley*.
Mad-Mutt wrote:This show might not last past the first season or it may end up doing very well, only time will tell.

Borrusia and Real are in the same semi-final of the Champions' League "Borrusia might get into the final of the Champions League', or it might be Real, only time will tell." See what I did there? "Two possibilities exclude each other and only time will tell which of them will happen", well no kidding my mind is blown. I have nothing against long posts, I wrote hundreds of them myself, but sentences like the one I quoted are you pointlessly stating something completely obvious.
Blasphemy wrote: Watching this reboot just makes me really miss the first series

It's not a reboot, a reboot would be starting completely from scratch. This new show is a spin-off it strongly relies on people knowing the character personalities from the 1st series and on the following that show had.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:41 pm

@Blood Lord:
You're right, I shouldn't jump to conclusions so soon.

Rival wrote:A few things, mostly me being nit-picky and/or complaining about people:

No kidding.
And people say I take things too seriously.
I quoted Doug because I'm a fan and he the most recent source of this when he stated it in his Loony Toons video, I like to keep my references as close to current as possible and from well known sources so people know what I'm talking about. I don't view Doug as an authority, but the guy at least seems to know what he's talking about, or is able to be very convincing at looking like it.

Is alley really the only typo there, that's like a new record for me. Usually I have at least five or six. Meh, I'm sure there are a few grammar errors you can enjoy pointing out.
As for the Tara Strong thing, comedy is an art and art is subjective. Just like Mir@k's art of trolling people.

As for me pointlessly pointing out something...
Meh, I got nothing. I just did it anyways. If it upsets you that much then I'm truly sorry. I'll probably do it again either on purpose or not so... oh, who cares anyways.

Oh and one more slightly important thing Rival, that wasn't Tara Strong voicing a fan made video bro.
That was audio from the "Lollipop Chainsaw" video game where she plays the voice of Zombie Slayer Juliet.
You might not have heard of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmaJwKK_ZI

Make sure you fact check thing like that buddy. Take it from me, it can get pretty embarrassing when someone calls you out on that. Be careful next time bro.

And the main reason for making the first being post so long is because I wanted to try my best to avoid a flame war after see how... Passionate some people are about the Teen Titans animated series. I've even gone over this post several times to avoid coming off as insulting to your character.
None the less thanks for posting Rival.
Bark

Postby Rival » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:29 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote: I don't view Doug as an authority, but the guy at least seems to know what he's talking about, or is able to be very convincing at looking like it.

Ok. I completely disagree, but ok.
Mad-Mutt wrote:Is alley really the only typo there,

I wasn't sure, if it's a typo, that's why I pointed it out. As a non-native English speaker I used to make mistakes like confusing between "afford" and "effort" and people pointing it out and making fun of me on this very forum helped me improve my English, so I tend to point out mistakes, if I'm not sure if they are typos.
Mad-Mutt wrote:As for me pointlessly pointing out something...
Meh, I got nothing. I just did it anyways. If it upsets you that much then I'm truly sorry. I'll probably do it again either on purpose or not so... oh, who cares anyways.

I'm not upset in the slightest mate, just giving you advice on how to write better posts, you are totally allowed to ignore it.
Mad-Mutt wrote:Oh and one more slightly important thing Rival, that wasn't Tara Strong voicing a fan made video bro.
That was audio from the "Lollipop Chainsaw" video game where she plays the voice of Zombie Slayer Juliet.
You might not have heard of it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDmaJwKK_ZI

Cool. My mistake, I didn't know. I read of Tara pulling stuff like typing "Here's me naked" and linking a pic of naked Timmy Turner so I accepted the description of the youtube vid saying "Special thanks to Tara Strong for the voice" at face value. Now that I know the audio came from a video game it only negatively impacts my view on bronies not on Tara Strong. Thanks for pointing that out.
Mad-Mutt wrote:Make sure you fact check thing like that buddy. Take it from me, it can get pretty embarrassing when someone calls you out on that. Be careful next time bro. Some people on the internet take themselves way too seriously.

Mate, I'm 26. Being concered about "embarrassing" myself on the Internet is not something I have worried about for years, when voicing my negative opinions on something I tend to rant, and enjoy doing so, that's all. Don't worry about me.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:52 pm

@Rival:

Okay then.
You are entitled to your opinion and I'll respect that as much as you respect mine.
And as for Bronies, just know that every fandom has their weird people in it, but they're just the minority. After all, you and I were able to carry on a conversation without getting into a fight. Although I'm not as big a fan of the show as others are, I just enjoy the episodes.
And yes Tara Strong has been known to troll.

Also, I you really were just giving me pointers on how to better word my posts, then thank you.
Listen to your critics, but ignore the hatters.
Bark

Postby Mir@k » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:39 pm

this nigga is a bit sensitive over the nether regions
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter
"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:47 pm

Haha.
Nah, I just try to be nice to other people.
Its because my momma taught me some manners buddy.
Kind of wish I had a video link to Cole Train there from Gears of War.
Happy trolling.
Bark

Postby Rival » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:20 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:Also, I you really were just giving me pointers on how to better word my posts, then thank you.

No worries and no biggie.
Mad-Mutt wrote:And as for Bronies, just know that every fandom has their weird people in it

Well of course, but the amount of MLP related socially akward stuff is still rather overwhelming:
Stuff like this (the first comment to the deviation): http://www.buzzfeed.com/jpmoore/the-mos ... ny-fan-art
this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQysdRTDIYE
or this: http://www.avclub.com/articles/the-inte ... rry,94206/ (granted this one might be a drama baiting counter-trolling stunt, but still even if it is, it's pulled by a Brony to get more DA views, so it still counts)

Obviously they are in the minority, afterall the main fanbase of MLP are still kids, the 8 old daughter of a friend of mine, loves the hell out of MLP. But among the adult fanbase the nutjob portion seems to be pretty significant. I don't really like the notion that a solid amount MLP fans seem to treat being a fan as some kind of martyrdom and admitting of being a fan as some kind of bizzare "coming out". As demonstrated in the youtube video I linked, and it's not just the guy who made the video, look at all the supportive comments with MLP related avas.

Mad-Mutt wrote:And yes Tara Strong has been known to troll.

Didn't she also shoot photos of herself cosplaying as Twilight Sparkle? I seem to recall reading something like that. As I said, to me it sounds more like attention-whoring, a troll aims to annoy/fool someone.

Postby Grieffon » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:24 am

Rival wrote:But among the adult fanbase the nutjob portion seems to be pretty significant.

It's a price to pay for the ridiculous amount of creative output including art, music (I have seen other fandom make remixes, but never original music like MLP), animation, customs, plushie... There are also about 30 pony conventions around the world, all run by fans.

Back on topic,    Trigon returns    in the next episode. How will the more serious villains even work in a comedy spinoff?

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:30 pm

@Grieffon:

To try and answer your question about    Trigon   
I'm not sure but my best guess is his evilness might be at around the same level as Him's from PPG. Except, you know... a lot less feminine. Either that or he'll be a total joke villain.
I'd rather it be the first one, since this guy is probably the most threatening villain from the Teen Titans lore.
After the human flesh being baked into pies episode, I'm kind of wondering just how much CN is going to let the creators of this new show get away with.
Bark

Postby Hell Princess Miko » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:17 am

it was funny at times, like those sketches from MAD of SPYvsSPY, and that is all, i wished they continued the series s it was instead of changing the style and approach, well, they did avengers from lil kids and now titans for lil kids, less darker than young justice that is supposed to be titans for grown-ups (sheesh, i hated their Joker), wish they left it haf and half, well, you cant have everything i suppose
my signature is pinning for the fjords, rest in pieces
devourer of popsicles

Postby Rival » Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:46 am

So I've watched episode 1. I liked 3 jokes. The "this is an excessive use of force, sir." while being strangled line, "I think the secret ingredient is love" while Mother Mae-Eye leads a guy to his death in the background and "balloon animals". So surprisingly all 3 were Starfire related.

Overall it's not terrible, but the jokes and aesthetic are pretty infantile, it's undeniable. Second segment was written by Will Friedle.
Hell Princess Miko wrote: less darker than young justice that is supposed to be titans for grown-ups (sheesh, i hated their Joker)

While I agree Brent Spiner's voice didn't fit very well. I thought the writing and design of their Joker version was pretty good. Besides he appeared in 1 episode and Young Justice, in general, did a phenomenal job adapting characters while making them different from their JL/JLU versions, so focusing on the one character they didn't exactly ace, seems a bit pedantic.

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)