General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Tuor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:50 pm

I watch team sports but I don't really support any team especially. I find it makes it a lot less enjoyable because it skews your view of things and makes you unable to appreciate the entirety of it. Much more fun to have an impartial view and just enjoy the general display of skill.

I kinda watch tennis. My dad's parents are big tennis people, so it's always kinda been around and on tv and stuff.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Grey » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:36 pm

YEEEEAAAH WIMBLEDOOOOON

i can quite happily sit down and watch a fuckin 7 hour tennis match

it's ridiculous

these two ridiculously talented athletes in this mad one-on-one game of speed, timing, precision and stamina. i think tennis players are possibly the most versatile athletes in terms of fitness
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Postby Tuor » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:38 pm

Maybe, since they have the ability to have the longest contests. I really admire their conditioning.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Rival » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:46 pm

Tuor wrote:Much more fun to have an impartial view and just enjoy the general display of skill.

Well, to each his own. Personally, I find emotional investement increases the enjoyment. Besides, I do think it's totally possible to root for a team and still remain impartial about what's happening in the field and admitting to yourself that your team may have objectively deserved a loss. It's true most people don't do that, but I'd like to think some people are capable of it and that I'm one of them.

I was very much iinto Tennis during the time of Sampras and Agassi. I still follow it, I've watched last year's French Open, Wimbledon, Olympic Tournament and US Open.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Tuor » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:11 pm

Rival wrote:
Tuor wrote:Much more fun to have an impartial view and just enjoy the general display of skill.

Well, to each his own. Personally, I find emotional investement increases the enjoyment. Besides, I do think it's totally possible to root for a team and still remain impartial about what's happening in the field and admitting to yourself that your team may have objectively deserved a loss. It's true most people don't do that, but I'd like to think some people are capable of it and that I'm one of them.

I would too, but it's proven to not be the case, more often than not.

I used to have a favourite team, but it was mostly because my favourite players were on that team. After they retired I lost interest in really supporting any specific team (talking about hockey in this case).

Same thing with soccer, AC MIlan used to be my favourite team, after Maldini retired, it's kinda just still my favourite team because I don't see enough Serie A games to change my mind. I might be kind of a Roma fan now though. In MLS I do support my city's team, though.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby NoSearchyFindy » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:26 pm

Would it be possible to just have my account deleted. I haven't used it in... years, and I'd just rather it not come up in searches. I'd appreciate it, as I can't seem to find the method to do it manually.

Postby Yoshi » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:15 pm

Sure can do. PM me or another mod for confirmation before we do so though.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Tuor » Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Already did it, hence his name
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Yoshi » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:59 am

Tuor wrote:Already did it, hence his name

Haha, doh. I thought it was just a stupid name change :P Shows me!
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:05 am

Darn. I was hoping for "ThisGuyWantedToNotComeUpInSearches".

Shame that one was too long.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Rival » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:14 am

Pfft, you should've went with Guy Incognito.

Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:17 am

oh my god... this man is my exact double!

THAT DOG HAS A PUFFY TAIL!
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Rival » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:19 am

Grey wrote:oh my god... this man is my exact double!

THAT DOG HAS A PUFFY TAIL!

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:56 pm

simpsons has been bad for longer than it has been good.

discuss.
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Tuor » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:03 pm

Can't say we weren't warned
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Rival » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:02 am

Grey wrote:simpsons has been bad for longer than it has been good.

discuss.

I wanted to link the "stupid TV be more funny" scene from "Marge On the Lam" (one of my favorite episodes), but it doesn't seem to be on youtube, lame.

Anyway, I've recently watched all of season 23 and what's been aired of season 24, and they retroactively made me improve my view of the Scully years. "Moe Goes from Rags to Riches" and "Lisa Goes Gaga" are my new worst episodes ever.

Scully's seasons had some pretty awful characterization and plotting, but there's no denying they had zany energy and at least tried to do something with the characters that hasn't been done before, which can't be said about any of the recent seasons. "Homer to the Max" or "Behind the Laughter" are not even close to 1/10 of the quality of "Last Exit to Springfield" or "Marge vs. the Monorail", but still I laughed harder at some of the Scully era episodes than anything done from season 14 onwards.

The saddest part is how whiny Lisa and Marge have become, they used to be such fun characters that weren't above pulling pranks or doing stupid stuff, but managed to still be the most reasonable and grounded ones. Nowadays every second Marge episode seems to be her and Homer splitting up over some stupid shit and getting back together by the end of it, and every Lisa episode is either her preaching about something the writers want to promote, her being down and crying for half the episode or Milhouse trying to woo her.

Speaking of which I've watched parts of the Simpsons panel from some last year's Con and the loudest cheering occured in two instances, first when Al Jean said he imagnes Lisa and Milhouse will hook-up eventually and secondly when he talked about Krabappel and Flanders being together. That's the kind of fans they currently have, I don't give a fuck about pairings I want creative comedy and witty satire. It's slowly become a kids show.

I remember around when seasons 17-19 aired whenever the show was brought up on this forum, Yoshi would come up saying it hasn't gotten worse and that it's still as good as it used to be, I wonder if he still holds that opinion.

Postby Grey » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:52 am

yoshi you have been summoned to defend your blatant untruths.
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Rival wrote:Yoshi would come up saying it hasn't gotten worse and that it's still as good as it used to be, I wonder if he still holds that opinion.

Grey wrote:yoshi you have been summoned to defend your blatant untruths.

Haha I knew it would come to this.

Look, I like The Simpsons, new and old. Are there bad episodes of the new seasons? Yeah, but I honestly think some early episodes are just as bad. Go watch the original few seasons. They have more "heart" but they just aren't that funny.

I think everyone's problem is that the style of The Simpsons is not consistent. It's changed over the course of the years and people hate change.

But I have actually changed my opinion, to one that's actually even less popular it seems. I actually prefer the early-middle seasons best. Not the first few, not that all are truly equal, but the seasons people generally declare as the start of decline.

So obviously my opinion is pretty whack.

But I love those episodes because the writers behind them had my sense of humour. I liked the weird humour but they still had a touch of kindness/heart to them where the original episodes had basically no really funny moments. Go watch Dancin' Homer. I'll wait. The new episodes are a bit too devoid of personality to be as good, and a bit too much focus on random-ish humour.

BUT

I would take most new episodes over most old episodes. Maybe it's because I've seen them so much, but I just enjoy the newer ones more. And the humour isn't "bad", it's just evolved to target a different audience. The world has changed and while The Simpsons were considered "edgy" when they first came out once Family Guy and the like hit the scene? Not very edgy at all. Almost conservative by comparison.

The general audience doesn't care as much for plot. They just want the funny. New episodes are about as close as you can get to Family Guy randomness while still having a real story. Something Family Guy fails at, in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy Family Guy but I can't watch a tonne of it at once because if you remove the intro credits and outro and stuck a bunch of episodes together you'd be unable to tell where one episode started and one ended.

But The Simpsons still have plot. Anyway, this comment:
That's the kind of fans they currently have, I don't give a fuck about pairings I want creative comedy and witty satire. It's slowly become a kids show.

Intrigued me. Look, sorry but "that sort of fan" is their fan-base. Whether you like it or not, the humour and content of the show have changed to adapt whatever fan-base is biggest. And honestly, if they fired all their current writers and hired all the ones who made "classic" episodes and brought it back to the golden times, do you really think anyone who has written off the show will come back? I don't think so. Those fans are so steadfast in their decision that no amount of good material will convince them, because that would mean they're wrong. They're gone, a lost cause. Sell to people who actually care.

Now, that's my reasoning of why it is the way it is. Basically, it's not "worse" just "different". So now comes the question, "Do I like it?"

And the short answer is no. The long answer is that I think the sort of humour that is best is characterised by John Schwartzwelder. The kidney episode where they're in the "wild west" town and there's a fake firefight and one cowboy starts randomly digging a hole? That stuff is the best for me.

So that's my sort of humour. So of course the early "gold" episodes just aren't that funny to me, and the new ones simply aren't concrete enough to really pull me in truly. But I don't think either are "bad", just not for me. People still love new Family Guy, I think it's almost irritating at times. I love Robot Chicken for random humour, others hate it. That sort of thing.

I can still sit down and watch new Simpsons episodes. And enjoy them even. But they are different and I can totally understand why some people would not like them. But obviously other people, quite a lot of them, do enjoy it. And what I've seen I can't really say it's bad. It'd be handy if I could, because then I could just not worry about buying the damn DVDs. But the fact that I still buy the DVDs should tell you that even though I don't think it's brilliant, it's still worth buying.

That's my take on it anyway. Sorry if I stepped on any toes.
" ~ Dave

Postby Rival » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:59 am

Yoshi wrote:That's my take on it anyway. Sorry if I stepped on any toes.

That's like your opinion, man. No worries, why would we be offended by what you find funny in a tv cartoon? What's funny to you, is funny to you, it's cool. I was just curious what your opinion is.
Yoshi wrote:I think everyone's problem is that the style of The Simpsons is not consistent. It's changed over the course of the years and people hate change.

I think you're simplifying. I don't think that's the issue, the most common definition of golden era Simpsons is seasons 3-9. Yet seasons 3-5 have a different atmosphere than 6-7, and those differ from 8-9. If people hating change was the main problem, people wouldn't be holding seasons 4-5 and 8-9 in high esteem at the same time, and that's what most people, not all but most, do.

In fact, I'd argue seasons 19-24 had the least changes in style of any 5 consecutive years in Simpsons history, so if people hating change is the problem, than those 5 years should've built up a new, far bigger, viewership than 4-6 million people per episode, which is what they're getting outside of season premieres and finales. An animated show like Phineas and Ferb gets 3 million on average. And Phineas and Ferb is marketed towards kids, airs on cable, and offers episodes on demand in advance.
Yoshi wrote:But I have actually changed my opinion, to one that's actually even less popular it seems. I actually prefer the early-middle seasons best. Not the first few, not that all are truly equal, but the seasons people generally declare as the start of decline.

So I'm understanding seasons 10-14, pretty much? So mostly Scully era.
Yoshi wrote:I would take most new episodes over most old episodes. Maybe it's because I've seen them so much, but I just enjoy the newer ones more. And the humour isn't "bad", it's just evolved to target a different audience. The world has changed and while The Simpsons were considered "edgy" when they first came out once Family Guy and the like hit the scene? Not very edgy at all. Almost conservative by comparison.

Family Guy is only "edgy" if you go by a teenager's "OMG I can't believe they aired that" definition of edginess and in that department it's outperformed by stuff like South Park or Archer, cause those air on cable and have less strict guidelines.

While it's true early 90's America considered Simpsons "edgy", mostly due to the extremely stupid "Bart's a bad example/role model" hysteria of the first 2 seasons, what made the show lasting was the sharp social satire. Which is something, unlike totally subjective shock-value edginess, that in my opinion hasn't been matched in an animated show since.

Stuff like the scene from "The PTA Disbands" when Skinner makes a half-assed hand gesture and someone from the dumb fickle crowd yells "You see that finger!? He means taxes!". It's a background joke and hard to hear upon first viewing, yet it's brilliant.

Golden age Simpsons making fun of religion: Chalmers: Thank the Lor-- thank the Lord? That sounded like a prayer. A prayer. A prayer in a public school! God has no place within these walls, just like facts have no place within organized religion."

Family Guy making fun of religion: Republican candidate yelling "GOD CREATED EVERYTHING!"

Both satirize, but one's sharp, witty and makes fun of both sides, while the other one's lazy, dumb and biased.
Yoshi wrote:Look, sorry but "that sort of fan" is their fan-base. Whether you like it or not,

Yep I agree, when did I ever say something that goes against that? It's their current fanbase, theres nothing I can do to change that, I accept that, but as you said I don't have to like it, so I voiced my dislike of it. I just really strongly dislike shipping and shipping culture in general. The one possible exception being Ranma 1/2, cause seriously fuck that bitch Akane.
Yoshi wrote:the humour and content of the show have changed to adapt whatever fan-base is biggest.

Ah see, but here's where we disagree. I think they went for the crowd that's easiest to hook, not the biggest possible one. No way to prove it for either of us. But fact is the most important demographic is 20-39 and I can't imagine an average person of that age caring about shipping.
Yoshi wrote:And honestly, if they fired all their current writers and hired all the ones who made "classic" episodes and brought it back to the golden times, do you really think anyone who has written off the show will come back?

No, I think what most people want is for the show to get cancelled and for an inevitable revival to occur within 3-8 years, so that the writing room might get some fresh new writers. The writing room hasn't gotten a real shake-up for about 9 years. The main problem seems to be that every script has to be ok'd by Al Jean and from what I've read in his interviews I think he's a man whose current approach to comedy lacks ambition, you likely think differently and that's cool.

Keep in mind Family Guy owes it's position as most watched animated show largely due to a cancelletion, an Internet outcry with quite a bit of bandwagoning, and a revival. Simpsons could get something similar, hopefully with the quality also improving.
Yoshi wrote: The long answer is that I think the sort of humour that is best is characterised by John Schwartzwelder. The kidney episode where they're in the "wild west" town and there's a fake firefight and one cowboy starts randomly digging a hole? That stuff is the best for me.

The kidney episode is season 10, and Schwartzwelder. wrote or co-wrote more episodes prior to season 10 than after it. Just pointing that out, not saying that you contradict yourself. Maybe you just feel season 10-14 writers shared Schwartzwelder's sense of humour more.

P.S. Oh and "Dancin' Homer" is season 2. So it's not what most would consider golden era, as I said that's seasons 3-9 for most people. Seasons 4 and 5 are considered especially flawless, with top-notch episodes from start to finish.

Postby Grey » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:56 pm

dancin homer sucks. simpsons peak is 3-9, definitely and what rival said about there being change in that time is completely true. seasons 1-2 were too preachy and seasons 10-14 still have their moments, but i feel the characters are now become completely one-dimensional. i can't connect with them anymore. plus it seems a lot more episodes feature only the simpson family and some celebrity guest-voiced character and the wealth of characters that make up the people of springfield don't get a fraction of the screentime they once did. i think the show was severely affected by the death of phil hartman, who i think voiced more characters than anyone else on the show. the loss of troy mclure and lionel hutz is a serious bane to the roster.
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:31 pm

http://www.avclub.com/articles/bobs-bur ... cha,97026/ This write up on Bob's Burgers actually kind of sums up to me what went wrong with the Simpsons. Mainly that the characters don't feel organic anymore and remembering that the kids on the show are kids and that the parents while not always doing the best thing, they do what they think is right.
I AM THE GOSHDARN BATMAN
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:10 am

Grey wrote:the loss of troy mclure and lionel hutz is a serious bane to the roster.

After Mr. Burns and Krusty, Hutz's my favorite Simpsons character.

Lionel Hutz: Now don't you worry, Mrs. Simpson, I-- Uh-oh. We've drawn Judge Snyder.
Marge: Is that bad?
Lionel Hutz: Well, he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog.
Marge: You did?
Lionel Hutz: Well, replace the word "kinda" with the word "repeatedly", and the word "dog" with "son."

I think Hank Azaria voiced and still voices the most characters. But Hartman's loss was a huge blow, no doubt.

Postby Grey » Thu May 02, 2013 7:18 pm

hutz was my #1

I'm NORML and I VOTE
Suave Brit

Postby Spruce Moose » Thu May 02, 2013 9:00 pm

Hey Snafu.

I'm happy to see that this is still a place where people can have epic quote-surgery debate battles about things like the relative quality of The Simpsons.

Hope the last 5 or 6 years (whatever it's been) have been kind to you all.

Postby Exodis » Thu May 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Yup, this place has expanded and grown.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Live the Lovable Life, Die the Dreadful Death.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Last Savior

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion