Tell Me About Awesome Boss Fights! (For D&D!)

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Tell Me About Awesome Boss Fights! (For D&D!)

Postby Yoshi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Hey hey hey everyone! I've got a little request for you guys. I'm running a Dungeons and Dragons campaign and it's going swimmingly. It's my third full-on attempt at a campaign and I'm trying to do everything right compared to the previous attempts.

One of those things is that I am so sick of boss fights and encounters that basically resolve to "I go up and hit him". Boooooooooring. So I've been making video game style bosses and it's way more fun and interesting.

As an example, in the latest game the players played "Pin the Tail On the Dragon" wherein they fought a tough, but small, dragon with no tail and a pile of paper mâché tails on the other side of the room. Two of the players kept the dragon busy while another grabbed tails and pinned them to it doing a lot of damage.

In another, there was a multi-stage boss fight. The first stage had a demonic clown whose colours changed when the players dropped a token they earnt through previous challenges into a coloured box. Clown is red? Drop in red box, clown takes damages, changes to blue. Bam. Second stage the clown retreated and a tiny carriage with no horses rides in, spilling out clowns until it was destroyed. Last stage the clown came back as a mime, and had a tonne of force abilities like dropping anvils and stuff.

So yeah, tl;dr is that I want suggestions from you guys as to cool encounters and boss fights you know of. Maybe there was a cool idea in some manga, maybe a video game was pretty cool or maybe you just had a good idea yourself. I'd love to hear them!
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Re: Tell Me About Awesome Boss Fights! (For D&D!)

Postby Remni » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 am

Well you could take a queue from a classic like Zelda:OoT. The boss fight with Phantom Ganon where he's going in and out of the pictures.
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
Shameless league stuff!
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby noxux » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:47 pm

Like Remni said you could take a queque from Zelda but I said from Metroid
"The best thing about life is not knowing what will happen, what we do shows who we are" -иохчх
Pabst:"Aww, you're no fun Noxux.
A Fight in a Flash
I am a very tall midget

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:35 am

Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Exodis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:50 am

The Biolizard/FinalHazard from SA2B.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby Birdofterror » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Exodis wrote:The Biolizard/FinalHazard from SA2B.

I think the point might be to make it sound appealing in a Dungeons and Dragons kind of mindset.

I was actually thinking about something like this the minute I saw this thread- and seeing as how it's relatively new and there aren't too many posts I can throw my hat into the ring. I have very token experience with actually PLAYING Dungeons and Dragons, due to me living in the rural south and nerdism is considered black Magic, but I'm well aware of at least the most basic of rules so I can put my suggestion into a kind of translatable practice.

There was a spinoff game of a well known series that played nothing like its predecessors. It had its own gameplay, its own story and to a greater extent, its own characters and boss fights.

It was Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories, but for this I'll talk about the Remake, Re: Chain of Memories.

Spoilers from now on, I am not going to spoil every one of the words as it would encompass like half of the post, so bear with me from here on. You have been warned.

(=======)

The final boss- the final phase of the final boss that is, Marluxia. (For clarity's sake: It's pronounced Mar-Loo-Sha) You had to fight him by gathering and using sacred cards that he constantly beats away from you. He is empowered by the Oblivion Castle, so traditional attacks are ineffective.

I would imagine for a D&D kind of fight, it would have to involve you finding cards during the fight- the quality and numbers of the cards being based on dice rolls, the quality and number of cards Marluxia claim are also based on rolls, probably Dungeon master rolls.

Chain of memories works on a 0-9 single card basis, but you can hold up to like 50 cards in your hand at any time. Up to three cards can be used for up to 0-27 number combos. 27 Being the highest an attack can be, being the culmination of three 9 cards put together.

Using a single, or combination of cards higher than the other person's total card number amount is the only way to stop an attack. Meaning if someone combines 3 cards and it equals 15, any combination equal to 16 or higher will cancel it and then use your own attack. Using a 15 yourself will cancel out both attacks.

Alternatively, there is a way to cancel out a bigger number with a lesser. 0, either a single zero or a combination of three 0s can counter any attack- but can also end up being countered by any other attack itself.

Now that the basic principle of the fight is laid down- here is how (In theory) it could be used in D&D.

The battle would start with everyone having 10 random cards based on your dice rolls. I assume you're using 20 sided, so rolling a 1 would equal a 1, and so on until you reach 10 which would equal 0 and then loop over 11 which would equal 1 and going all the way over again to 20 which would again equal 0.

With those 10 starter cards, you can use them defensively or offensively, only using them to counter Marluxia's attacks, or using them to deal damage. The only way to get cards back would require wasting a turn to completely reshuffle your starter deck of 10, or finding random cards scattered around the battlefield.

Lets say you have a starter health of 20, and you play with... I don't know- two friends? Marluxia has a health of 300. Every time you land a hit it would deal a static amount of 5 per card- regardless of how high or low the amount of the card itself is. A combo of three cards would deal 15 damage for example. Marluxia also deals that much damage.

Although the damage is static, in the game itself it can be completely dodged using your own skill- in D&D I would imagine that- if you were to lose a card struggle or if he's just plain attacking you, you could roll to dodge, if it fails- it lands. There are no critical strikes in this game- so don't worry about that.

Healing would require sacrificing cards. Each card you sacrifice will restore 1 health, and remember- it will take a turn to shuffle for a new 10 card deck. Which you are healing and shuffling, your allies can help defend you by canceling out his constant attacks with higher card combos.

Every couple of Turns, Marluxia will use Oblivion Whirlwind which will knock ALL of your cards out of your hand and scatter them around the battlefield. During this time, Marluxia stuns himself for a short time. I would imagine in D&D gameplay it would be about two turns, during which you can move around and collect your cards.

When he's at low health, Marluxia uses Doom which forces the players to engage in a cardgame of Simon Says, where you have to match or surpass a flurry of constant attacks that deal no damage, but if you can't parry all of the attacks in a certain amount of time (Let's say 3 turns) Marluxia automatically kills you. During those three turns, you can sacrifice, shuffle and pick up cards at your relative leisure.

That's about all I can think of for now. There's magic in the game, but it's just glorified physical attacks that obey the same exact rules as physical attacks, in that they can be countered and can counter any attack lower than itself.

-HOW IT WOULD PLAY-

Turns pass around the players. As the players act, Marluxia also attacks. He can choose any player to attack- not just the one who is taking their turn. Players can only move, heal or shuffle on their own turns, but they can attack and counter Marluxia's cards at any time, but doing so will cost their turn to come. All Three players can attack Marluxia on the same turn if they are in range for a nearly unstoppable bombardment. Your attacks cannot be countered, even if it's really really low so long as your ally has a larger number than Marluxia.

Attacks land if by the end of the current turn no-one has countered it. If you counter Marluxia's attacks while not in range, you will not deal damage- but his entire attack is canceled regardless. As players go in for the attack, Marluxia gets one chance to Counter any attack each turn. Only one. So if three players attack at once, he has to successfully counter the highest attack or nothing will happen.

Additional Notes:

-Combos can only be used with three cards. Not with 1, 2, 4 or anything above.
-Upon using a combo, a card is lost forever. Shuffling will only restore 9 cards the first time you use a combo, then 8, etc.. Marluxia does not suffer from this setback.
-Any player can counter any attack Marluxia targets any other player with.
-Cards that are lower than the current attack cannot be used in any means if Marluxia is attacking.
-Same goes for Marluxia. If someone is attacking with a 27 combo, the only possible way Marluxia could attack would be through canceling it out with a 27, or countering it with a 0.
-Cards will be constantly spawning across the large Battlefield. They can be picked up simply by walking over them.
-You cannot attack, move and/or shuffle all in the same turn. Only one of these options can be chosen per turn.
-Marluxia has a constantly refilling deck of 10 that follow the same rules as the players- in that the dice rolls refresh cards based on the rolls.
-Marluxia can choose between one Combo attack each turn to a single player or three individual card attacks against all players.
-Countering one attack counters all other attacks that turn lower than the highest attack.
-Marluxia cannot move.
-Players can counter attacks from anywhere on the field, but can only Damage Marluxia if they are within 1 block of him.
-Marluxia can damage anyone from any location on the field.

(=====)

This was a very specific thing you asked Yoshi, giving recommendations for video game boss fights to be converted into D&D, so here's my two cents on quite possibly one of the most creative boss fights in video-game history.

Sorry in advance if it's too complicated. For a visual reference, you can watch this: It's someone fighting the actual Boss. You can come up with your own ideas then. From here you can see the scattered cards, the shuffling, the long range yet damage ineffectual 0 counters and all that good stuff.

Feel free to turn this down- it's just an idea.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Vegedus » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 pm

The most memorable battle I ever did in DnD was a battle on the backs of a couple flying dragons. They were transporting the party to a critical location, and enemies was incoming all the while. They had to leap across to assist each other and hold on tight when the dragons dived. The general take away is that height, speed and falling make every action scene cooler.

I haven't touched DnD since I discovered Wushu, and a little before that too, which teached me that battles aren't about hitpoints or five foot steps, but having the players make cool descriptions and improvising. It handles boss battles quite well, if you ask me.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Exodis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:00 pm

Birdofterror wrote:
Exodis wrote:The Biolizard/FinalHazard from SA2B.

I think the point might be to make it sound appealing in a Dungeons and Dragons kind of mindset.

I know. When Remni and Grey put up other game bosses, I just said "Fuck it" and put up my favorite awesome boss battle.

Hail to the Savior

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 pm

what could be better than an enemy you can't hurt directly, but have to instead attempt to fucking hammer throw him into explosives
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Exodis » Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm

Ummmm...

Hail to the Savior

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:05 am

Grey wrote:what could be better than an enemy you can't hurt directly, but have to instead attempt to fucking hammer throw him into explosives
Your strength would need to be outrageous, not to mention if your far away you may need to roll like a 19+ for accuracy.

Mario is hax. I mean, the man can survive forever underwater and in space. Let it never be said Mario isn't a war god.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Exodis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:50 am

Birdofterror wrote:Mario is hax. I mean, the man can survive forever underwater.

False. He couldn't stay forever in the water in Super Mario 64. THEORY HAS BEEN DEBUNKED.

Hail to the Savior

Postby Yoshi » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Some good ideas! The Kingdom Hearts style thing sounds neat. And honestly, so does the Bowser fight thing. Keep 'em coming folks!
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave

Postby The Mad Doctor » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:14 pm

Yoshi wrote:Some good ideas! The Kingdom Hearts style thing sounds neat. And honestly, so does the Bowser fight thing. Keep 'em coming folks!

Wait a minute, did you post this topic in the first place to steal ideas and use them in a Dungeons and Dragons game in the future? I don't even play D&D, and I at least got the concept that you should use your own imagination to your advantage. Now I look at this topic and I go like: what?
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby Yoshi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 am

TheMadDoctor wrote:Wait a minute, did you post this topic in the first place to steal ideas and use them in a Dungeons and Dragons game in the future? I don't even play D&D, and I at least got the concept that you should use your own imagination to your advantage. Now I look at this topic and I go like: what?

Nah, well, kinda. You take inspiration for ideas everywhere. I'm not going to rip an idea completely, but I will take note of any cool mechanics and stuff. I've designed an entire world and campaign and shit from scratch, why would it be bad to watch something, go, "hey something similar to <x>" could be fun.

It's kind of like going to a fantasy writer and go "you have magic? I thought you should come up with your own system" or something.

So no, not gonna drop Bowser in and tell them to swing him around. But I do like neat mechanics I can twist and use.
" ~ Dave

Return to Snafu General Discussion