Boston Marathon Bombing

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:49 am

Hey, just something I wanna ask before I sleep, but did anyone see any flying limbs in the footage capturing the bombing?
This too shall pass.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:11 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby EagleMan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:54 am

Are you saying you saw it and couldn't find any, or if the footage had that in there? I've not bothered to watch the footage and there's really no need for me to.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 13880
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:24 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Exodis » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:56 am

Rosso, that's a bit disturbing to even gaze at. I've seen images of people WITHOUT their limbs, even a photo of someone who ran in the marathon for the Newtown school and both his legs were detached, and he was never able to walk again. I will not show you the image. You find that shit on your own.
Image

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2213
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: City of Angels
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Q.U. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:12 am

Grey wrote:i had no idea about this until now. i thought the boston marathon had gone great. i heard it was a blast.

Ohh, I've seen that joke yesterday, on a website where it's never too soon.


Also, pity there weren't more civilians with guns in there, maybe somebody could have shot the bomb before it went off.


But really now... a marathon? If this is Al Qaeda or some other terrorists then they seem to have gotten much worse at this since Osama's death. Why not blow up some people who matter more to the country? Shouldn't they be targeting politicians and military bases instead of some random marathon? It's like they're not even trying.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Zerus
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Tuor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:43 am

That's why I think it was a homegrown nutjob
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18443
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Grey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:24 am

Rosso Rose wrote:To be honest though, I can't really say it was the work of a 'terrorist' because I don't believe there is an exact definition to what a 'terrorist' is;
Definition of terrorist
noun
a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims:
[as modifier]:
a terrorist organization


Definition of terrorism
noun
[mass noun]
the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims:
the fight against terrorism
international terrorism
Image
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11167
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Grey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:25 am

Image
Image
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11167
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Q.U. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:17 am

I laughed at that picture before already...

Oh, what the hell, I'll laugh again. Haha.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Zerus
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Jingle Males » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 am

Image
Image
fool my bullets are made of suns
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 26013
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:13 pm
Location: NJ
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Mathias » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:55 am

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11861
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Fire up chips.
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:54 am

Q.U. wrote:But really now... a marathon? If this is Al Qaeda or some other terrorists then they seem to have gotten much worse at this since Osama's death. Why not blow up some people who matter more to the country? Shouldn't they be targeting politicians and military bases instead of some random marathon? It's like they're not even trying.

A marathon makes sense, there's a few thousand spectators, minimal security and tons of backpacks. And while trying to go after leaders or infrastructure would be a huge move for them, with much more minimal effort they got their desired outcome.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8988
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Q.U. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 am

Their desired outcome? You mean up until they get upstaged by a new mass shooter causing the media to completely forget about this incident and move on with the other?
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 3306
Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Zerus
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Mir@k » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:27 am

Q.U. wrote:I laughed at that picture before already...

Oh, what the hell, I'll laugh again. Haha.
Image
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter

"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
online
 
Posts: 1323
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:40 am

Q.U. wrote:Their desired outcome? You mean up until they get upstaged by a new mass shooter causing the media to completely forget about this incident and move on with the other?

They'd be upstaged anyway, but by doing backpack bombs away from leaders and infrastructure they can continue to cause havoc and a bomber on the loose is more feared than some asshole that tried to take a shot at some senator.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8988
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby EagleMan » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:56 pm

If it's a white guy, he'll be called a nutjob.

If it's a person of color, they'll be a terrorist.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 13880
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:24 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:12 pm

Grey wrote:
Rosso Rose wrote:To be honest though, I can't really say it was the work of a 'terrorist' because I don't believe there is an exact definition to what a 'terrorist' is;
Definition of terrorist
noun
a person who uses terrorism in the pursuit of political aims:
[as modifier]:
a terrorist organization


Definition of terrorism
noun
[mass noun]
the unofficial or unauthorized use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims:
the fight against terrorism
international terrorism


I've been talking about this amongst my peers during my class's Terrorist Unit and not everyone agrees with what the dictionary may say. Could one person's terrorist be another person's freedom fighter? It can, and in your post it also shows obviously that a terrorist such as those identified from al Qaeda doesn't think himself as a terrorist, but rather a devoted worshipper of Allah carrying out his duty for Islam or something like that.

Is all violence used in terrorism in pursuit of political aims? It can be in many cases, but not always, it's what I think. Hell, consider the word, 'terror' in this case. I consider the Connecticut shootings a terrorist act and not because it was political, and it didn't need to be. Sometimes you don't need to pursue an ideology to inspire fear among a targeted audience.

We also can't forget there are lone terrorists that have existed on this planet as well. Salman Taseer for example was assassinated by a lone wolf terrorist who isn't affiliated with any terrorist organization of any sort.

I won't rely on a goddamn tome to define what a terrorist or terrorism is if not everyone's going to agree. I've nothing against you however in this post.
This too shall pass.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:11 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Tuor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:21 pm

watch out we got some poli sci up in here
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18443
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Grey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:16 pm

i don't care what you and some other 15 years olds think about what words mean

anyone who tries to instill terror and fear into others for whatever reason is a terrorist

it doesn't matter who they target or why, if they use terror they are terrorists

this is a fact
Image
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11167
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:39 pm

Technically, by the definition you posted it only counts if it's for political aims.
Image
For the Greater Good
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11824
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:15 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Grey » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:45 pm

that's a fair point, but any point can be classed as political as the meaning of political is "of the people" if you look to the latin
Image
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11167
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:39 pm

Grey wrote:i don't care what you and some other 15 years olds think about what words mean

anyone who tries to instill terror and fear into others for whatever reason is a terrorist

it doesn't matter who they target or why, if they use terror they are terrorists

this is a fact

Actually this is a Senior Level class I'm in, so we're all 18. Just saying.

And who said it was a fact? Going back to France's Reign of Terror, terror was originally praised as the best way to defend liberty until the French Revolution began to sour that terror itself became negatively associated with the violence and guillotines that took place at the time. Not everyone, especially terrorists is going to believe that is a fact. To me, a person that uses terror in order to commit whatever we may see and deem to be known as so-called 'terrorists acts' might not always be called a 'terrorist' just because they tried to instill terror and fear into others; it's not always the people that are the target audience. We also have to remember government officials too. I know that 'they' refer to those who were involved in the bombing, but I'm saying that not everyone's going to believe 'they' are terrorists, even though all of us including myself would agree they are.

anyone who tries to instill terror and fear into others for whatever reason is a terrorist

it doesn't matter who they target or why, if they use terror they are terrorists

There has been a statement just like these worded differently that has been analyzed and debated within my classroom based on events that used terror to primarily achieve political goals.

One event that could deny what's been said here is one that revolved around Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress at South Africa, where the people from the ANC used terror for the sake of the freedom of the people. In the end, those people were able to hold the first truly free election in 1994, and I thought they were freedom fighters, not terrorists, despite using terror to dismantle the segregation the government had began in 1948.

Like I've said in my last post, 'one person's terrorist could be another man's freedom fighter'.
This too shall pass.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:11 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Tuor » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:17 pm

I'm not really sure what your point is in all of this, to argue for the sake of arguing? Do you think you're presenting some mind shattering view to us by saying that not everyone sees terrorists as terrorists? Or are you waxing philosophical about how to define "terrorism"? How would you define it?

Allow me to offer a definition that is a bit more than the definition that Grey gave which is straight from the dictionary:
Terrorism is a premeditated, usually politically motivated, use, or threatened use, of violence, in order to induce a state of terror in its immediate victims, usually for the purpose of influencing another, less reachable audience, such as a government.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18443
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby noxux » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:20 am

This is a sad event because someone do this for no reason
I am a very tall midget
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:02 pm
Location: Floating in outer space
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:31 am

Tuor wrote:I'm not really sure what your point is in all of this, to argue for the sake of arguing? Do you think you're presenting some mind shattering view to us by saying that not everyone sees terrorists as terrorists? Or are you waxing philosophical about how to define "terrorism"? How would you define it?

Mind shattering? I was at a disagreement to what the dictionary defined terrorism as, and what Grey said about terror and terrorism. I used to define terrorism as a means to pursue ideology and political change through violence. Eventually however, I found there's more to just violence and I, nor experts, don't have an exact definition to what terrorism is or what terrorists are. It's really hard to come up with a definition.

Tuor wrote:Terrorism is a premeditated, usually politically motivated, use, or threatened use, of violence, in order to induce a state of terror in its immediate victims, usually for the purpose of influencing another, less reachable audience, such as a government.

No.

Violence isn't always necessary to carry out terrorist actions. With the rise of the internet, we also have cyber terrorism too, and that can significant cause change as well.

And when the Colonists were rebelling against Great Britian, the secret group of American Patriots known as the "Sons of Liberty" threatened use of violence to anyone willing to sell stamps at the time the Stamp Act was imposed and they were freedom fighters, not terrorists.
This too shall pass.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1013
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:11 am
Gender: Male

Re: Boston Marathon Bombing

Postby EagleMan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:36 am

Uh... they were freedom fighters because they won. They were actually still terrorists, but because they won history paints them nicely. In retrospect we just view them as "good" terrorists. For instance, if we learned of a man in North Korea who bombed Kim Jong Un in the name of democracy and freedom, Western media would probably report on him favorably, despite the fact that he would be a terrorist. It's all perspective.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 13880
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:24 pm
Gender: None specified

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests