Mass Effect: Basic OOC

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: Mod Squad, RP Mod Squad

Mass Effect: Basic OOC

Postby BG07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Mass Effect: Basic

In the year 2148, explorers on Mars discovered the remains of an ancient spacefaring civilization. In the decades that followed, these mysterious artifacts revealed startling new technologies, enabling travel to the furthest stars. The basis for this incredible technology was a force that controlled the very fabric of space and time.
They called it the greatest discovery in human history.
The civilizations of the galaxy call it... MASS EFFECT.
….
Premise:
This RP takes place in the sprawling Mass Effect universe based upon the popular video game series. The storyline of this RP begins just before the events of the first game, meaning that all of the characters and events from the original games will be present in this RP in some form or another. It should also be said that although this is the same universe the story of this RP will have its own plot that will only occasionally bump heads with that of the actual games.

At the beginning of this game everyone will be on equal footing, no one will be starting off this game as badass merc number 37… I have every intention of having people slowly develop their characters from the ground up, establishing their personalities and abilities through the game’s storyline.
The game will start off at a remote training facility run by a sprouting security organization called C-3. Whether you are a poor orphan with nowhere to go, a budding biotic who struggles with their powers, or a crafty criminal looking for sanctuary… C-3 promised that they would turn no one down and accept everyone into this elite academy. Some would say that this offer is too good to be true however C-3 does state their catch very clearly within their terms. Whoever joins the academy and receives special training must stay within the organization for a minimum of 4 years, to some this is but a small price to pay for steady food, board, and training. No matter what your reason, you boarded the shuttle and were taken away to this elite academy. Not many know much about the C-3 organization, only that they have come into power over the last few years and specialize in providing paid security for whoever can afford it. Most people just call them glorified mercenaries and in a sense that is simply what they are.

….
Playable Races:
There are many races in the Mass Effect galaxy, however I’m going to try to keep the playable character types to the more humanoid types. These are the playable races for this RP.
-Humans
-Asari
-Drell
-Salarians
-Turians
-Volus
-Batarians
-Krogans
-Quarians
-Vorcha

Get more information on the races here http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Races

Playable Classes:
In the mass effect world there are three types of specialties. Combat, Tech, and Biotics. At the beginning of the RP everyone will choose just one of these as a starting point. Later on you will be given the choice to branch off from your original specialty for new abilities or to stay within your original choice and reap additional skills.

Starting Classes-
Soldier- Combat
Engineer- Tech
Adept- Biotic

Branch Classes-
Vanguard- Combat/Biotic
Sentinel- Biotic/Tech
Infiltrator- Tech/Combat

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Classes

Weapons/Equipment:
It should be noted that your class will affect the weapons and armor that you are capable of carrying. Soldiers can wear heavy armor and can use any weapon type, however Engineers and Adepts can only wear light armor and wield pistols, shotguns, or sub machineguns.

Character Sheets:
I like to see detail here, but at the same time you don’t need to write me a novel.

Name:
Race:
Appearance:
Personality:
History:
Starting Class:
Starting Equipment: (This section will be added shortly after the start of the RP, so leave this blank for now. It will include weapons and armor)
Powers/Skills: (Please choose two starting skills/powers based upon your starting class. More will be added later.) http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Powers ... ffect_3%29

Re: Mass Effect: Basic OOC

Postby BG07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm

ACCEPTED CHARACTER LIST:

Postby Hana » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Name: Elenia
Race: Asari
Appearance: Like all Asari, Elenia is a beautiful blue-skinned woman with scalp crests instead of hair.

Personality: Alternately unsure of herself and painfully overconfident, the young Asari generally comes off as pleasant to be around, if not entirely deep or capable of thought-provoking conversation. Part of this is due to her fear of intimacy (not in a physical manner, but emotional intimacy) caused by the loss of her mother. She subconsciously pushes people away so she doesn't have the possibility of losing them, resulting in a general lack of close friends.

Under the shell and the social awkwardness that comes with it, Elenia is mostly a quiet person with an affinity for beautiful things. Music, art, and literature all give her pleasure.

Although she doesn't spend much time on philosophical pursuits, she has had mental dialogs with herself discussing the 'right-ness' of certain actions...

History: Gambling debts really, really suck. And when the rest of your family is conveniently dead, they can't really lend you the credits to pay off the loan sharks that want to take the cost out of your pretty blue hide. In a last-ditch effort to not end up dead or dancing half-naked on tables for the entirety of her Maiden years, Elenia signed up to C-3 for the paycheck...and the protection.

Born of the brief union of an Asari and a Human, Elenia never new her father...err...mother...err...father...

Her mother was an elite soldier, an Asari Commando. Someone to be respected and even feared. But the kind of life she led was a dangerous one, and it caught up with her shortly after Elenia entered her Maiden phase, leaving the poor girl alone and without parental guidance. Thus, a series of bad choices fell into place, guiding Elenia along the Rube-Goldberg machine of reality to her present low point.

Starting Class: Adept
Starting Equipment: (Blank, for now)
Powers/Skills: Singularity, Warp
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby BG07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:15 pm

Hana you get approved and a cookie for that little mother father thing XD

Postby Hana » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:20 pm

Hee! *nibbles cookie and grins* I might do some art...and I'll probably expound the appearance, 'cause I thought I had more there before but I must have lost it in one of my back and forth clickings or something. Won't be anything outlandish. Just flowery prose and some more details.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby QuickSilver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Name: Horus Auron Ativus IV

Race: Turian

Appearance: Though every turian looks like a giant, metallic, skeletal bird, Horus exemplifies this stereotype to an almost intimidating degree. A black exoskeleton and a splattering of red-war paint that surrounds the gleaming yellow eyes of a bird-of-prey serve little to dissuade an unfriendly, mercenary appearance. His crests are abnormally long and sharp, hinting at good breeding. He is a tall being, standing at 6'6 with a heavy torso and a slender waist, but beyond sharper than usual curves of his exoskeleton at the elbows and knees of his digitigrade legs, he is built like any male of his race of military-age.

Personality: A cold realist, Horus sees the universe in shades of black and white. There is a definite wrong and there is a definite right, and everyone else seems to be getting things wrong. Though he venerates the proud military tradition of his people, Horus aspires to different tactics; a notion that marks him as a rebel among 'proper' turian society. A brilliant logical mind is hidden behind a wall of arrogance and self-righteousness that has led this young turian down a dark path, making him prone to decisions many would consider heartless at best, and evil at worst. He is not above using others as stepping stones to achieve what he perceives as the 'greater good', willing to kill the few to save the many, no matter how innocent they stand in the matter.

History: Auron Ativus III is a rich and respected commander in the turian military, having served many successful campaigns against batarian incursions and earning a great amount of honor to his family name. Horus was born into expectation which he exceeded throughout his schooling and training and his future seemed set with a recommendation towards joining the 25th Armiger Legion should he prove his ability to command. His eye for battlefield tactics caught the eye of many a respected general, but his impudent nature and overconfidence in this straying from turian military dogma prevented him from receiving any endorsements.

Struggling with the dishonor of a son who could not attain an officer's position and seeing a dark pattern of behaviors forming, Auron took desperate measures, recommending his son (with a sizable investment of money) to the mysterious C-3 organization. He hoped that experience at C-3 would harden his son towards a less callous, rebellious path and give him the combat experience needed to advance high in the turian command structure. Horus was furious at the notion, but a threat of disowning from his father forced compliance.

Bitterly Horus was shipped off to train at the elite C-3 academy, planning to take any measures necessary to fast-track his service; whether through heroism, extortion or murder, he did not care. All he knew is that everyone else in the academy was a stepping stone to his freedom and his father's approval.

Starting Class: Soldier

Starting Equipment:

Powers/Skills:
o Marksman
o Stimumlent Pack

Additional Notes:
o Horus suffered a wound in an initial struggle with C-3 agents that arrived to 'recruit' him that did not heal properly despite relatively prompt medical treatment, making it very difficult for him to run long distance. When storming across the battlefield, he can only storm half as far as other characters.
o Horus seeks an engineer capable of improving his armour to allow him to handle the recoil of more powerful sniper rifles with his injury, having to stick to lighter weapons until he can. Weight penalties are 50% more severe for any weapon he carries, slowing down his power usage.
o Horus is never invited to parties, a fact he secretly laments and helped his initial descent into darkness.
Last edited by QuickSilver on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Swords and Sorcery

Postby BG07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:54 pm

Quick I like your character... not exactly what I was looking for because this is gonna be basically a boot camp style RP where all the characters are gonna gain their skills over the course of the game... but I do like him, so as long as you don't mind getting knocked down a couple pegs by the instructors I say he's accepted.

Also that equipment of yours will so get confiscated, part of the reason why I didn't want people to start out with any equipment at the start of the game.

Postby QuickSilver » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:05 pm

Understood.

My rational was the classic trope of starting out as someone ahead and through fate and circumstance being forced back to the bottom rung, having to learn and fight their way back to the top.

My idea was to partly represent this through a cliche manner with his 'injury', which forces him to relearn combat with a different style and lighter weaponry until he has the tech to compensate.

His concept is someone who, despite a down-turned past, was very good, only to find there were bigger-fish out there that took a chomp on his pride.

He has been defeated already by C-3, and I am fully prepared, even looking forwards to his antagonistic attitude and arrogance to be challenged and possibly stripped by more skilled instructors and player characters.

The douche who thinks he should be top of the class, and isn't above trying to sabotage anyone who gets ahead of him basically.

I can remake him to an earlier point in his life, however, having him be discharged on his first mission at a younger age to fit the theme of this RP, I am easy either way.

But I am a sucker for punishment with characters that brush authority the wrong way, and don't mind him being beaten on or killed when he (inevitably) goes too far.

Additionally, whoops on the equipment. I didn't read that part properly <.<
Swords and Sorcery

Postby Dorian » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:05 pm

Not sure why you have base and branch classes when all those classes are available at the start in all the games. It's not like a Vanguard is stronger than an Adept or Soldier, one is just focused on pure biotics or combat while one is a balance between biotics and combat.
Never asked for this

Postby BG07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Dorian wrote:Not sure why you have base and branch classes when all those classes are available at the start in all the games. It's not like a Vanguard is stronger than an Adept or Soldier, one is just focused on pure biotics or combat while one is a balance between biotics and combat.

It's more to do with how I want to split up the characters, now there's only 3 places for people to be rather than six. Lets just say that there's a Biotic class, Tech class, and Combat class. Rather than having people taking two classes at once, I'd rather have each character in a specific class.

But I'm not necessarily gonna object if everyone would rather start out the way the games are. If enough people say they'd rather do that, well then I'll just have to think of another way to keep people in groups.

Postby Ro Wong » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

BG, com'ere... Gotta tell ya some'hin'...
Demon of Elru

Postby BG07 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:26 pm

Ro just headbutted me out of a PM and back into this thread...

Postby Ro Wong » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:57 pm

What you get for ruining my set-up, you quadless little tadpole.

HMPH

==EDIT==

Name: Jorgal Kram

Race: Krogan

Appearance: Standing at seven feet and nine inches -- four of which is his hump -- Kram is a monument to constantly remind all races that Krogan are big. His plates are a streaked mess of red, yellow over a light brown. Some scratches and dents hint that not all of the streaks are natural and may have just been paint that scratched off something he hit. His emerald eyes are vibrant and quick, with his left eye being slightly discolored in the corner of his iris from a healed scar. While Kram has agreed to comply and not wear any armor he brought from Tuchanka, he has demanded that he be given something dark green when the academy provides gear.

Personality: Violent, loud, grumpy, blunt, confrontational. Kram is, well, Krogan through and through. He happily adheres to some Krogan stereotypes and uses the perceived imagery to his advantage. “An enemy too scared to look in your eyes is blind.” Underneath the rough -- tough, tough, thick and very powerful -- exterior though, Kram has some more intellect-based interests. Based upon the common Krogan pursuit of self interest and growth, Kram understands that a strong mind can easily do more harm on the battlefield than a shotgun. Sometimes. He seeks to completely surpass Krogan standards and surprise all those snooty other races to show that a Krogan can be quite the mental opponent.

His biotic prowess has given Kram a bit more ego than some Krogan, though. And he is quite eager to explore his full capabilities.

History: Hatched and raised on Tuchanka, beaten and conditioned from youth to be a brutal survivor. You know, the average Krogan youth. In his more mature years, Kram explored numerous possibilities to strengthen his skills, and there were many who were willing to purchase the presence of a Krogan biotic. From security to mercenary, he never stayed with anything for more than a year so as to get a taste of all his opportunities. Then he heard about some training academy with very open standards for registrations.

Starting Class: Adept

Starting Equipment: None (Many officers were present to ensure no shotguns were smuggled in.)

Powers/Skills: Pull, Shockwave
Demon of Elru

Postby BG07 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:38 pm

Ro he looks good, accepted

Postby Hana » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:04 pm

This game needs more sexy men. Nao, pls!
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby lyca » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:35 pm

I'm workin' on it dimmit!

I had also planned a krogun with biotic abilities, and i'm deciding whether or not to continue with it.

He'd be a hoot either way.
Stuck in the see-through zone.

Postby Redsnow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:45 am

Name: Dr. Sur’kesh Ullar Vurun Liol Nirv Kellar (“But you can call me Kellar – no, no, no, don’t call me Kell.”)

Race: Salarian

Appearance: Kellar is slightly shorter than the average Salarian, but his strangely long crests above his head make him look to be about average Salarian height. His skin is generally a milky-green, except where it turns to a mottled, darker forest green, particularly as the skin nears his head crests. A small jagged scar runs from his lower-left abdomen diagonally upwards where he had once attempted emergency surgery upon himself.

Personality: Like all Salarians, Kellar generally finds other races sluggish, dim-witted, and fairly unmotivated for his own tastes. Humans are adorable in their inability to comprehend concepts that are taught to Salarian children, most Asari waste their near-infinite lives with frivolity, the Hanar live as slaves worshipping a dead race, and the Krogan were a mistake that has turned the Salarian agenda in a direction most wasteful. These sentiments and Kellar’s time in the STG as a counterintelligence officer has shaped much of his personality to be ruthless and vigilant against anyone he perceives to be a potential threat.

History: Kellar is a current operative of the Special Tasks Group (STG), having been inducted into the STG at the age of 12 following a dissertation on the potential applications of Element Zero in conventional zero-gravity weaponry. While the dissertation itself was widely panned by his peers due to what was believed that the costs involved in the research and development of such a weapon would vastly outweigh its realistic applications, the numbers were sound. He earned the attention of the STG, who offered him a place sorting through vast amounts of military-tech based communications data picked up by other STG operatives.

Though the work was tedious, Kellar’s findings and interpretations of certain key points of information allowed a few notable preventative STG operations to succeed where they would have otherwise failed. Kellar was quickly promoted to a position as a counterintelligence officer, codenamed “Redwater”, who would work primarily in Omega to gather intel involving the black market, particularly in regards to trades and biomedical research going to Tuchanka, and to run interference with potential high level threats. Most of Omega’s residents knew him as a two-bit hustler who tried to shake down newcomers at the docks for chump change. Harmless.

Leaving Omega to head to C-3 was not his idea – it came down covertly enough on the STG ladder that he did not question the timing or the urgency of the command. He jumped on the next ship into the central Terminus systems to join the other “volunteers” like himself.

Starting Class: Engineer

Starting Equipment: High-end Omni-Tool (Omni-Blade removed)

Powers/Skills: Decoy, Incinerate

Postby Sigmas » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Red, this RP has not been updated in quite some time and is likely considered dead. There are currently four active RPs you can join. Dragon Age, Crossing the Veil, Once upon Atyme and (Re)Destroy/(Re)Build.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Redsnow » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:47 pm

Wow, I don't know why I didn't check the date on that last post lol.

Return to Role Playing