Cartoon network universe alternate futures

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Cartoon network universe alternate futures

Postby strider0075 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:11 am

So recently I've been watching the old cartoon network shows since they were picked up on Netflix. After watching one episode of The grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, the one where mandy has taken over the world and has become a, as best I can explain it, cinnamon tycoon worm, I began to wonder. How many different alternate futures are there in the cartoon network universe? Also before anyone nitpicks, since fusion fall I've been counting all the old cartoon network shows as a part of the same universe (like PPGD and GTFB do). I also count fusion fall as an alternate future, I seem to remember there's the PPG future where the girls ceased to exist and him takes over, there's several in the B&M timelines (though I don't recall the exact number). So does anyone know how many there are? So far including Fusion fall I count at least 3 alternate futures (I also count PPGD and GTFB on a technicality, even though it's not really canon of the CN universe).

And if someone has already asked this here I apologize, but I can't find a topic on it here.

Re: Cartoon network universe alternate futures

Postby Dibullba » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:50 am

Just like real life, alternate futures are infinite in cartoons. Probably even more so as they do not have to follow binding laws of physics and such. Through some special episodes and certain ones making references, Cartoon Networks universe is essentially intertwined aside from the new shows.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:28 pm

I agree on Dibs with this one.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:29 pm

and i agree with blordy.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:55 pm

ACCEPTION

But yeah, alternate futures are limitless.

Especially in DC Comics, oh god.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby BeeAre » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:20 pm

strider0075 wrote:So recently I've been watching the old cartoon network shows since they were picked up on Netflix. After watching one episode of The grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, the one where mandy has taken over the world and has become a, as best I can explain it, cinnamon tycoon worm,

this is a reference to the science fiction series Dune. Wikipedia dat.
I began to wonder. How many different alternate futures are there in the cartoon network universe? Also before anyone nitpicks, since fusion fall I've been counting all the old cartoon network shows as a part of the same universe (like PPGD and GTFB do). I also count fusion fall as an alternate future, I seem to remember there's the PPG future where the girls ceased to exist and him takes over, there's several in the B&M timelines (though I don't recall the exact number). So does anyone know how many there are? So far including Fusion fall I count at least 3 alternate futures (I also count PPGD and GTFB on a technicality, even though it's not really canon of the CN universe).

And if someone has already asked this here I apologize, but I can't find a topic on it here.

Like everyone else said: an infinite number. Unless you are referring to the ones that exist in media in the form of a coherent storyline. In which case: that is a ridiculously specific answer and the only way you are going to find that is to do the research yourself. Sorry.

Rosso Rose wrote:ACCEPTION

But yeah, alternate futures are limitless.

Especially in DC Comics, oh god.

Do you mean Exception? Because Acception is not a word in English. :X

anyone have any other questions before I shut this question thread down? :0)
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Exodis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Favorite cartoon?

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby Wulfespinndel » Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:45 pm

BeeAre wrote:Do you mean Exception? Because Acception is not a word in English. :X

That's what I was thinking actually. Strange how it sounds like a word.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Dibullba » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 am

Acception is a word. It means to be the received meaning. Almost ironic considering what this conversation turned out to be =P

Postby strider0075 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:32 am

I meant how many were shown in the universe before the series (I don't know what the plural for series is) ended. I know there are infinite alternate futures and i'm somewhat familiar with the idea of the timey wimey ball (which kind of points to infinite alternate variations of the future). I was just asking how many variations were shown as I don't really have an encyclopedic knowledge of each show and as I also didn't read the comic series based off these shows which may have other variations on alternate or potential alternate futures. I'm kind of assuming that no one is going to know of every case, but at least know of the different cases of an alternate future showing up. So, i'm kind of hoping some people here can point me towards different cases and stuff like that.

Also BeeAre, yes I may have asked a vague and maybe badly worded question, making it seem like I am ignorant of certain subjects. However, I AM quite aware of Dune, the reference to spice hoards and the friggin sandworms! I GET that's what they were referencing! It's just that calling Mandy a cinnamon tycoon worm was funnier than stating what it was referencing since most here KNOW what it was referencing and all I really had to do was make a description of Mandy's character in the short to get the joke across.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:54 am

Dibullba wrote:Acception is a word. It means to be the received meaning. Almost ironic considering what this conversation turned out to be =P

Sort of reminds me of the day I had to prove to my English teacher that "forwent" was a real word (it's the past tense of "forgo") or "fisse" (the oppoisite of the verb "fuse". Though I'm still not wholly sure about that one. )
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Apr 09, 2013 4:26 pm

Well since Fission and Fusion are opposites, I'd be more than happy to vouch for the legitimacy of your word. Although I am not a dictionary, nor am I a person who can affect what is or isn't in it.

I had to fight to use the word Accede, as in to accede to someone's demands- in my house because NO-ONE even heard of it.

I actually heard of it in Civilization 4 and used it ever since. Let no-one tell you games don't teach you shit. I've learned more words in games than I did in school- that's the Gospel Truth.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:04 pm

You get no argument from me. My games taught me "quern" (a sort of stone bowl for grinding)and If it wasn't for my childhood books I never would have learned words like "frangapani" (though I still can't say that one without giggling) and "flitch" (the technical term for a side of bacon before you slice it up). According to my parents when I was six, a friend of thiers accused me of being a cynic (I was a gloomy child. To which I replied "better a sane cynic than a purveyor of Pollyanic Panglossaries like you." (I was a fresh child too)
Btw something that always bothered me, If "vice" is the opposite of "virtue", shouldn't "vicios" be the opposite of "virtuous"
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby BeeAre » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:12 pm

Acception is not considered a word by my native online dictionary--but it IS a French word, with all parts of the word existing as Latin cognate syllables, so even if it weren't technically, it could be. Same with fisse. Not to say that ultimately they aren't, really, given that using other dictionaries gets me some results, but my native dictionary is not recognizing them. Weird. :x

strider0075 wrote:Also BeeAre, yes I may have asked a vague and maybe badly worded question, making it seem like I am ignorant of certain subjects. However, I AM quite aware of Dune, the reference to spice hoards and the friggin sandworms! I GET that's what they were referencing! It's just that calling Mandy a cinnamon tycoon worm was funnier than stating what it was referencing since most here KNOW what it was referencing and all I really had to do was make a description of Mandy's character in the short to get the joke across.

That's the exact opposite of what you do when you know the reference and want to share it: You use the reference as your noun and starting point.

Exodis wrote:Favorite cartoon?

The Powerpuff Girls. 8D

Mon-Kitsune wrote: Btw something that always bothered me, If "vice" is the opposite of "virtue", shouldn't "vicios" be the opposite of "virtuous"

Vicious could just be a permutation of the cognate syllables.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
BR

Postby Wulfespinndel » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:23 pm

Birdofterror wrote:Well since Fission and Fusion are opposites, I'd be more than happy to vouch for the legitimacy of your word. Although I am not a dictionary, nor am I a person who can affect what is or isn't in it.

I had to fight to use the word Accede, as in to accede to someone's demands- in my house because NO-ONE even heard of it.

I actually heard of it in Civilization 4 and used it ever since. Let no-one tell you games don't teach you shit. I've learned more words in games than I did in school- that's the Gospel Truth.

Sad because it's true. I wouldn't have heard the word Antecedent anywhere in school If it weren't for Morrowind. The education system is failing me miserably that I'd rather be home schooled.
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby strider0075 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:25 am

BeeAre, come on man, you are not seriously lecturing me on proper speech OVER A SIMPLE JOKE. How would it sound if I said "the one with the dune reference where mandy has taken over the world and has become a, as best I can explain it, cinnamon tycoon worm". It's not nearly as funny, mostly because it's redundant. Most who get what episode I was referring to wouldn't need to be told what the episode referenced because they probably know (being children of the 90's), those who didn't get the dune reference or what episode I was referencing would at least get a humourous image put in their head by the description. Further, BeeAre, there is no reason for me to make a show off my knowledge of sci fi here, especially when dune references wasn't what I was asking about. I made the joke as an ice breaker to the subject.

Excuse me, if you feel the need to show your almighty superiority in your knowledge of sci fi and speech, to the extent that when someone makes a joke about a dune reference that you have to point out the reference, assuming their ignorance, and follow it with a "wiki it" or lecturing them on "proper speech". Also, why wiki? wiki is a notoriously unreliable reference point. why not dunenovels.com or goodreads.com. Hell anywhere but friggin' Wikipedia.

Postby Tuor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:29 am

That totally required two paragraphs of bitching, totally.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby strider0075 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:34 am

maybe not and I do apologize for running on a tad too long with that rant, but I hate having to repeat myself. So I tried to make myself as clear as possible. Honestly I wouldn't have an issue except for how he "sounded", he came off like a pompous ass who felt the need to show his superiority. I mean, was there really a need for him to point out the dune reference or to point out the flaws in my speech?

Postby BeeAre » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:55 am

strider0075 wrote:Excuse me, if you feel the need to show your almighty superiority in your knowledge of sci fi and speech, to the extent that when someone makes a joke about a dune reference that you have to point out the reference, assuming their ignorance, and follow it with a "wiki it" or lecturing them on "proper speech". Also, why wiki? wiki is a notoriously unreliable reference point. why not dunenovels.com or goodreads.com. Hell anywhere but friggin' Wikipedia.?

I'm an administrator and it is my prerogative to be an asshole to you if I feel like you need to be shit on, but I'll talk about the lack of that in a little bit.

I've been talking about speech because I made a mistake in not checking with multiple online dictionaries when I corrected Rosso. Sorry about that, Rosso.

Wikipedia is not unreliable for hard facts, because in order for there to be significant contribution to most Wikipedia pages, multiple sources are often referenced as footnotes. You go to the sources from the link on Wikipedia, and they are often, say in physics, a gathering of reliable peer-checked physics journals. Obviously you don't cite Wikipedia as the source. It's a very subject-specific website. New information is harder to come by obviously, and additionally the more esoteric something is, the less likely it will be to have reliable sources.

But it's far from being a bad place to go when doing research that needs to be cited. You get a basic overview of a subject, and then at the end you're likely to have links to important ideas about the subject which you can cite.

maybe not and I do apologize for running on a tad too long with that rant, but I hate having to repeat myself. So I tried to make myself as clear as possible. Honestly I wouldn't have an issue except for how he "sounded", he came off like a pompous ass who felt the need to show his superiority. I mean, was there really a need for him to point out the dune reference or to point out the flaws in my speech?

I legitimately thought you said the opposite of what you meant, or I would not have made the post I did. It is a part of my job to keep things organized, so I will correct you or offer counsel if I think you posted something that you didn't intend. I am sorry that my posts in this thread are making you feel bad.

Despite this, in your post responding to me pointing out the reference, you said "most" people get that reference. Why would you assume this? That's worse than what you're saying I did to you. I'm apparently misinterpreting a single person, you're making a sweeping generalization about many.

I didn't realize it was a joke. That's why I said what I did in my second post. So it wouldn't happen again, and you wouldn't feel bad about this in the future. I didn't do it just to correct you so I would feel superior. I wasn't and am not bullying you. I did it because I thought honestly that you were confused by my decision to make the reference that I thought you didn't make.

The words you chose for the joke weren't interpreted by me as a joke in any way. I think the problem is that, to me, a joke would not involve the clause "as best as i can explain". It's easier for me to interpret that you felt that the entire episode idea that Mandy was turned into a sand worm was strange. It's easier for me to interpret that you couldn't recognize why the writers did what they did, so you did your best to explain it despite it being so strange. Since that's what it seemed like to me, I explained what I thought was a reference you didn't understand.

I wasn't being mean. I didn't understand a joke that didn't have any have any of the indicators I knew about that let me realize it was a joke. I am sorry that I didn't find your joke funny. Me? I would suggest putting more proper nouns from Dune into the joke - which you wouldn't use unless you knew where they came from - but that's just me. Again, not malicious intent. Remember the concept "if you have to explain a joke, it didn't work"? This joke didn't work if you're breaking rules in your anger at me not getting the joke and apparently being mean to you.

On the forums, and in this forum especially, more people are not aware that they aren't communicating clearly. That's the context by which I approached your post. So I go into threads and offer advice. That's part of what I sometimes do on all the forums, and often what I do in this forum.

However, part of what you don't do in this forum is complain about something that isn't out of the ordinary for mods and admins to do. You should read the rules again. I wasn't being cruel to you. I didn't bully you as the only content in my second post, I talked about other things with other people. You, however, spent two posts doing only that. No one else comment on this subject while in posting here after they see this post, either. Thanks in advance.

Consider this a verbal warning. While you're in this forum: keep in mind the rules, please! As I said earlier, read the rules again, if you please. It could help prevent disciplinary action in the future If you have any issues, please send me or one of the Mods a private message. Have a nice day! :0) honk honk

Actually On Topic Postscript: Would you say that every single story which involves time-travel to the past which subsequently changes their present to be a different parallel universe? Because that's a lot of stories.
BR

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:35 pm

It's cool, B.

I'm done already with this thread at this point, alternate universes are prone to giving me a migraine.
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby strider0075 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:20 pm

BeeAre, actually I should apologize for those two attacks. Let's just call this a case of T.U.I. (Typing Under the Influence) and leave it at that. While I was thinking those things, I wouldn't have said them save for the fact that my "shut up" switch was currently off thanks to half a bottle of fireball.

Anyhow back on topic, that's a tough one, see my view of time travel causing alternate timelines is that only major events and major factors being changed would cause an alternate timeline. Let's say you go back in time and purchase a pack of bazooka joe, would that cause a temporal shift? Probably not, it's not like that one specific pack of gum is going to change history in some significant way, such as inspiring an new artist to create a masterpiece or something like that. If anything, time would simply create a minor shift to cause the desired effect or someone else would be influenced to create a different masterpiece if that pack did play a part in an individual history.

It's only when major events are changed that the timeline skews dramatically enough to cause an alternate timeline. Say someone goes back in time to assassinate Hitler before he rose to power, this would inevitably cause a massive alteration of the timeline as many great art works, scientific developments, even military protocols would have never been put in place. One effect I can think of off hand is the limitation of warship weight that was directly caused by German warships like the Bismarck. It was created to more or less put a limit on how many cannons a warship can carry, so by killing hitler before he rose to power we would probably have seen an advent of larger warships carrying more devastating arsenals of weaponry. Another effect would be that the development of jet age and space age tech would have also been stunted quite a bit as a lot of jet age development spawned from confiscated blueprints from hitler's R&D facilities.

To summarize, I think it would only be if you changed a major turning point or factor that the timeline would skew bad enough to cause an alternate timeline. The tough part is determining what would be a major event or turning point in history.

Postby The Mad Doctor » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:41 pm

Are we talking about the alternate story lines already presented in the mainstream media anymore? or are we still stuck with the extremely long posts about rather minor errors? That's fine with me, by the way. It's just that's the sort of thing I see before the topic is abandoned. If you want this thread to stay alive, I highly suggest that we get back on topic now.

Are we good? Now, lets see, we have the Assassin's creed 3 DLC episodes, theres also that older fairly odd parents episode where Timmy went back in time and accidentally turned his father into a vengeful, smiling, dictator, and theres a few Ben 10 episodes that show parallel universes, such as everyone finding out about the omnitrix at the start of school or Gwen acquiring and wearing the omnitrix herself. Thats all I got there.
Awaken child and embrace the glory of your jimmies. Know that we are the triune, the eternal will of rustling, and that you are created to serve us.
Shhh no tears only nightmares now

Postby strider0075 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:46 pm

Actually, I was just answering BeeAre's question "Would you say that every single story which involves time-travel to the past which subsequently changes their present to be a different parallel universe?". I was lengthy in the hopes that I wouldn't have to repeat my viewpoint multiple times (even though this really isn't a subject that can be given a clear definition).

Also I wasn't referring to ALL alternate timelines and futures (jesus, that would take forever to describe them all). I meant the alternate timelines in the CN universe when it was more or less connected (the Tartakovsky era). I'm talking about Alt timelines within shows like PPG, Grim adventures of Billy and Mandy, and shows around that time and also the comics and PPG Z (as those are the two areas i'm really unfamiliar with).

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:32 pm

Why would you think we know this or are close to knowing this? Grim Adventures alone has a different universe setting every episode. PpG, I think was linear and didn't have any.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby strider0075 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:46 pm

Okay, there's obviously confusion here. I thought I had cleared this up, but I mean how many were SHOWN. Not any theoretical's or anything like that. I meant how many were shown throughout the series runs, including the comics and the spinoffs. Also, PPG did show at least one to my knowledge, I just found it yesterday. It was an episode where the girls accidentally broke the speed of light and ended up in a future where they weren't around. I figured at least someone here would be adept with Tartavkosky era CN enough to know some of the lore, including alternate futures.

So to be 100% clear, i'm not asking about theoretical alt futures based on an episodes premise (like the mandy becoming a giant brain one), i'm only asking about the ones actually shown in the different series.

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)