Shounen Manga Discussion(Naruto Bleach etc. spoilers inside)

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Shounen Manga Discussion(Naruto Bleach etc. spoilers inside)

Postby Lord Frieza » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 pm

Mir@k wrote:Lately i've been reading the Monster manga, and it's a very refreshing thing to read.
For some stupid reason, i always stumble upon mangas of a similar genre that are full of graphic rape and blatant cruelty, which fucks me up and makes me feel like shit...

Ever read Tenjo Tenge?
Planet Pawner

Postby Mir@k » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:18 am

No, and i'm sort of unwilling to look it up in case you're tricking me into reading yet another rapegorefest.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby spazmonkey » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:21 pm

It's not so much a trick, as an open suggestion to read a rapegorefest.
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby Hana » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:09 pm

There's only suggestions of rape, and not that much gore until you get to Particle Man. Blood, yes. Gore...not quite so much.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Ro Wong » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Made by Oh! Great (Air Gear), if that'll help any.
Demon of Elru

Postby Mir@k » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Hana wrote:There's only suggestions of rape.
how is that any less bad..? honestly, i just enjoyed monster because the author of the manga doesn't seem to be yet another rape fetishist.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hana » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:03 am

It's only less bad if the graphics of it is the only thing that bothers you.

IIRC, Rape is threatened at least twice, and may have happened once, although the girl denies that anything happened. Yeah, it sucks that it was used as an illustration of how weak women are and as an easy tool for the male characters to seek revenge for it, but it's not handled as badly as some other stuff I've seen or read.

In all honesty, there's a lot of ecchi in it, but the proportion of it that's tied to rape is small.
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby spazmonkey » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:58 am

avoid sun-ken rock
this sig is my fanboy badge of HONOR!!!1!
Kamisutra wrote:You're watching the anime with blatant lack of effort

Postby Remni » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:10 am

HOLY CRAP NEW HOTD OUT!

Also, Hana, I take it you're fairly into The Breaker series as well?
My Steam - Xbox GamerTag: TheSweedishChef
||The soul sheds light and death is it's shadow. When the light dims, life and death embrace.||
Fortunately Unfortunate

Postby Iris » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:28 am

I had to do a double take when I saw a new update for High school of the Dead.

Postby Senel » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:45 am

Holy shit, Sasuke made a reasonable decision!

Also Karin......Really?

"I'M GOING TO SMACK THE LADY OFF OF YOUR DICK!"- BR
"Senel I had forgotten how gorgeous your face is." - Doctress
Praise the Sun

Location: That city where The Office supposedly takes place in.

Postby Rival » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:19 pm

Senel wrote:Holy shit, Sasuke made a reasonable decision!

Also Karin......Really?

I don't know about "reasonable". I'm Eastern European, so for me family> the state. I always thought the whole thing with people claiming Itachi did the "right" thing by killing his entire family, because they wanted to start a civil war to gain influence was pretty asinine. Sasuke's hatred for Konoha made perfect sense to me, not his desire to kill everyone even those innocent and those who were nice to him, but wanting to get revenge on Konoha, yes. So him doing a complete 180 and suddenly going out of his way to save it, is, in my view, ridiculous.

As is Karin's decison, but she's a walking Tsundere sterotype anyway. As is Orochimaru's motivation to help. Seriously, why didn't Kishimoto simply explain it with none of them wanting to be trapped in a permanent Genjutsu? Plus, Orochimaru wants to master all jutsu so fighting two Uchiha might allow him to obtain the Sharingan which he always craved, but nope that'd make too much sense, instead he's curious how things will unfold. Okie doke.

This entire chapter should've been titled "fuck characterization, I have plot".

One Piece chapter rocked, so many new interesting characters keep appearing.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Lord Frieza » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:39 pm

Hana wrote:IIRC, Rape is threatened at least twice, and may have happened once, although the girl denies that anything happened. Yeah, it sucks that it was used as an illustration of how weak women are and as an easy tool for the male characters to seek revenge for it, but it's not handled as badly as some other stuff I've seen or read.

In all honesty, there's a lot of ecchi in it, but the proportion of it that's tied to rape is small.

You are talking about Tenjo Tenge, right? I can think of more than one instance that someone got raped, even though I read the manga a long time ago. Including Bob's girlfriend getting raped by that fire guy (which I thought was pretty graphic myself), didn't Souichirou's dad rape some girl in the second long ass flashback (The girl didn't really seem to give a fuck though)?

Like I said, I read it a long time ago, but I remember there being more rape than just one time.

spazmonkey wrote:avoid sun-ken rock

No, don't avoid Sun-Ken Rock. That manwha is too good to be passed up.

I seem to be enjoying manwha a lot more than manga these days... I just wish the ones I read would update more frequently. But then again, I heard the manwha industry is in some sort of trouble these days.

Rival wrote:As is Orochimaru's motivation to help. Seriously, why didn't Kishimoto simply explain it with none of them wanting to be trapped in a permanent Genjutsu? Plus, Orochimaru wants to master all jutsu so fighting two Uchiha might allow him to obtain the Sharingan which he always craved, but nope that'd make too much sense, instead he's curious how things will unfold. Okie doke.

This entire chapter should've been titled "fuck characterization, I have plot".

My thoughts on the chapter exactly.

On an unrelated note, does anyone here read Green Blood?
Planet Pawner

Postby Mir@k » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 pm

You know, i'm even less interested to read tenjo whatever thanks to you spoiling whatever the fuck you spoiled. I mean i know this is an internet forum and all but why do we have these amazing spoiler tags if we are not going to use any of them?

In any case, are we all to assume every single redhead in Naruto is from the uzumaki clan? What was Minato's last name, why didn't Naruto inherit that name instead of uzumaki? It's probably a very simple and retarded question but things like that bother me.

And i'm fucking loving one piece, i just can't wait until Luffy's first serious match begins, we haven't had a single good match yet and while i love the variety of this world, watching people curb stomp other people because of how powerful they are without actually engaging in a single battle is starting to get a bit tiring.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Lord Frieza » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:10 am

You highly suggested that you weren't going to read it anyway, so I didn't even bother. And I didn't even spoil anything significant anyway.
Planet Pawner

Postby Hana » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:24 am

....Actually, it is kind of significant, just seems so when it's completely out of context...

Also, Chiaki repeatedly says that nothing happened. The actual rape is not shown, so...It's left up to the reader whether it happened and she's just trying to mentally block it, or if the guy really was that pathetic.

And it's Namikaze. My guess is that it would have been too obvious to everyone who's son he was if he had the Namikaze name, since Minato was a Hokage, and all. (Incidentally, 波風 means "wave wind".)
Official Forum Mom
Wayward

Postby Lord Frieza » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:43 am

Lord Frieza wrote:You highly suggested that you weren't going to read it anyway, so I didn't even bother.

Okay, maybe you didn't suggest directly, but still, I wouldn't suggest reading it if you dont like brutality towards women.

Hana wrote:....Actually, it is kind of significant, just seems so when it's completely out of context...

Umm... How were those two instances significant to the plot? I can understand the first one I suppose (But it's kind of a stretch to me), but not the second one. It felt like it came out of no where for no reason... But then again, that whole flashback didn't make any sense to me, so I guess I'm just not that smart.

Also, Chiaki repeatedly says that nothing happened. The actual rape is not shown, so...It's left up to the reader whether it happened and she's just trying to mentally block it, or if the guy really was that pathetic.

Didn't he forcefully tear off her clothes and shove her against the washing machine? I'm not sure if I should share a link for the source since it might be a little too graphic for this thread, but...

And I think she also mentioned being raped nearing the end of the showdown at the bowling alley. I think she was saying she wasn't raped to cheer up Bob and the blonde guy for failing to protect her.   

And it's Namikaze. My guess is that it would have been too obvious to everyone who's son he was if he had the Namikaze name, since Minato was a Hokage, and all. (Incidentally, 波風 means "wave wind".)

Did the general public even know Minato was married?
Planet Pawner

Postby Rival » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:25 am

Boy was mangasteam's translation of the last Bleach chapter attrocious:

I may have to permanently switch to mangapanda for Bleach, if mangastream keeps this "creative" translator.
Mir@k wrote:In any case, are we all to assume every single redhead in Naruto is from the uzumaki clan?

Well not Gaara and Roshi (the Four-Tails Jinchuuriki). I guess some conspiracy theory can be made for Gaara given how the Land of Fire and Land of Wind were allies for decades, so someone from the Uzumaki Clan may have moved to Sunagakure or started a family there and Gaara could be a descendant, but in Roshi's case he was born in Iwagakure and the Land of Earth was Konoha's biggest enemy before the conflict with Orochimaru and Akatsuki, so it's unlikely they would have picked an Uzumaki as their Jinchuuriki or even tolerated an Uzumaki in their village.

Karin being an Uzumaki was first mentioned in chapter 579:
Hana wrote:.And it's Namikaze. My guess is that it would have been too obvious to everyone who's son he was if he had the Namikaze name, since Minato was a Hokage, and all. (Incidentally, 波風 means "wave wind".)

Yep. That's the official reason given by Minato in chapter 440 page 5, he specifically mentions it was the Third Hokage's idea.

Of course this is ridiculously far-fetched given how much Naruto resembles Minato, but oh well, shounen manga logic.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby WiNg0o » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Are you kidding me with Sun Ken Rock? Its worse than HSDK with just constant fanservice and doesn't even bother to develop characters. And don't get me started with the fact that the mother fucker pretty much just traces his references like fucking Gantz.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Lord Frieza » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:48 pm

Well, I enjoy it quite a bit, a lot from the fact that I find the concept interesting (despite it being a little far-fetched and unrealistic. I do find myself rolling my eyes when I read it). We all have different tastes though.

Although I don't see how it can be worse than HSDK.
Planet Pawner

Postby The Mad Doctor » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:57 am

I recently started reading one piece, and I know damn well it's gonna take a while to catch up to the most recent volumes.
F U Im evil

Postby Archrival » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:13 am

TheMadDoctor wrote:I recently started reading one piece, and I know damn well it's gonna take a while to catch up to the most recent volumes.

You can kinda jump in at certain areas with One Piece, I jumped in at Water 7/CP9 which is the second greatest arc to Impel Down/Battle of Marineford and then went backwards and forwards at my own pace and still found it easy to understand.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:18 am

Yeah, I jumped in a bit before Impel down, right before they all got separated, and I've been doing fine, although I did read up on the manga on a wiki. And of course I'd seen the dub a bit through Arlong, so I got the gist of the basic story.
For the Greater Good

Postby EagleMan » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:52 am

Archrival wrote:
TheMadDoctor wrote:I recently started reading one piece, and I know damn well it's gonna take a while to catch up to the most recent volumes.

You can kinda jump in at certain areas with One Piece, I jumped in at Water 7/CP9 which is the second greatest arc to Impel Down/Battle of Marineford and then went backwards and forwards at my own pace and still found it easy to understand.

I remember I jumped in at the exact time Luffy and co. got blown far away from each other or something. They were all separated at least. I read to like the mermaid kingdom or whatever underwater then I just stopped reading after that for some reason. Either way it's fun to read manga in huge bursts like that, at least for when I've done it.

Postby WiNg0o » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:22 am

Man fucking film Z was great.
I Killed the Boss

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion