Bioshock: Infinite

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Bioshock: Infinite

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:24 am

Pretty fantastic game, think it's a real contender for GoTY 2013.

Anyone else played through it yet? Kinda ended up rushing through it on medium.
Thinking I'll give 1999 mode a try, reading up on it, it sounds really hard, lots of tough decisions and choices on how to specialize, which isn't really in the base mode, so could be really fun, or something I'll be terrible at, haha.

Storywise, I loved it. Elizabeth was also a really helpful companion, although at times maybe too helpful. Nearly always tossed me what I needed. Random money, a fresh mag, health, salt. Opening up tears for aid. I presume in 1999 mode I wouldn't have it so nice.
For the Greater Good

Re: Bioshock: Infinite

Postby Exodis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:16 pm

I have the game, but waiting to see if I can get the Premium Edition. I think it'll be the best contender for Goty.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby Asmodai » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:10 am

Storywise its interesting, I'm pretty sure I'm right at the ending...

But gameplay wise it feels very lacking.
Rechargeable shields? Really now? When it recharges it even sounds like the Halo shield. It kinda makes the game feel too easy.
I also dont like the number of Plasmids Vigors, it feels very lacking. Not to mention that the majority feels useless. Why would I want to use Bucking Bronco, when I could just zap them? Murderous Crows + Shock Jockey = easy mode. Especially once you find a very specific set of pants (I think, could be a vest) that makes finding salts no longer needed.
I also dont like how your weapons have a small ammunition reserve. It's not that running out of ammo is my big gripe, it could've been a fun mechanic, forcing you to constantly switch weapons. No, what I dont like is how Elizabeth keeps giving me ammo whenever I run low. It kinda feel like cheating. I haven't used a single different weapon than the Hand Cannon, simply because of Elizabeth.
What I also dont like is how upgrading your weapons doesnt have a single effect on its outward appearance. I loved that aspect in the previous Bioshock games, seeing your guns "evolve." It made me feel a lot more connected to my weapon. In infinite its simply a tool you use, discarded and swapped whenever you feel like it. Of course, I do understand this change, since as I mentioned before, your ammo is pretty low, so you'll be swapping weapons a lot.
Oh, speaking of ammo... Where's my special ammo? I loved that in the previous Bioshock games!

So yeah, gameplay wise it feels a bit dumbed down. Thankfully its story more than makes up for it.
Mephobiac

Postby Archrival » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:47 am

Played through it all on medium as well but even looking for stuff minorly, got 7/7/7 pretty much on infusions so I feel that's a good number. 1999 mode is hard as balls, barely got past the first 10 minutes of combat before failing. As for story? Fucking fantastic, the twist was a great one that just left me paralysed with controller in hand and jaw to the floor and as the credits rolled I just flopped back onto my bed.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby EagleMan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:43 pm

I liked this game a lot but I do like the previous Bioshocks more. I guess I'll see if Infinite grows on me though. Lockpicking still seems like a superfluous mechanic. You have to rummage around and examine every spot just to be able to access all the content. Kind of takes you out of the game if you're desperately trying to find a lockpick that you need. It's a giant waste of time. But I want to listen to the Voxophones and get my Infusion so yeah. I also wanted to see more information about Comstock/Fitzy/Fink/Songbird.

There might've been something I missed but    what about the Elizabeth in the 3rd timeline? The one where the Vox have their weapons? Obviously you have your own Elizabeth there, but what happened to the Elizabeth who was with the dead DeWitt? It just feels like our Elizabeth magically replaces whatever Elizabeth was supposed to be there as I don't recall any mention of her - whether she died, or got to Paris, or whatever. Maybe I missed a Voxophone. I know we get Future Elizabeth but that's not the Elizabeth I'm interested in.   

Postby Archrival » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:23 pm

EagleMan wrote:I liked this game a lot but I do like the previous Bioshocks more. I guess I'll see if Infinite grows on me though. Lockpicking still seems like a superfluous mechanic. You have to rummage around and examine every spot just to be able to access all the content. Kind of takes you out of the game if you're desperately trying to find a lockpick that you need. It's a giant waste of time. But I want to listen to the Voxophones and get my Infusion so yeah. I also wanted to see more information about Comstock/Fitzy/Fink/Songbird.

There might've been something I missed but    what about the Elizabeth in the 3rd timeline? The one where the Vox have their weapons? Obviously you have your own Elizabeth there, but what happened to the Elizabeth who was with the dead DeWitt? It just feels like our Elizabeth magically replaces whatever Elizabeth was supposed to be there as I don't recall any mention of her - whether she died, or got to Paris, or whatever. Maybe I missed a Voxophone. I know we get Future Elizabeth but that's not the Elizabeth I'm interested in.   

I assume you mean the    Martyr Dewitt    Scenario?, in that stance    He never meets Elizabeth at that point, he meets Slade and has to help the Vox Populi before he can even get acess to her.   
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby EagleMan » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:24 am

Nah a voxophone I heard said he was sorry about failing her or something like that. Also, just because martyr DeWitt hadn't met her (if I'm somehow making up that memory) doesn't mean she stopped existing. What, Comstock just wants 2 Elizabeths now?   

Postby True Order » Thu May 02, 2013 8:41 am

He has a good point.

Anywho, I liked this game. It has some flaws, definitely feels dumbed down compared to previous Bioshocks and I can honestly say I missed the genes. Songbird is AWS-pretty cool.

I might not be properly understanding 1999 mode, I cruised through 1/4 of it with slight difficulties and got bored because I felt like I was missing some key element. Where were/are the specializations?! Am I blind? Internet ain't telling me shit.. aside from "1999 mode has specializations and significant choices."
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby EagleMan » Sun May 05, 2013 10:47 pm

When I read the same it basically meant you need to make the right choices in buying stuff. So don't do stuff like spend all your money on upgrades for your Pistol. 1999 mode is more about just taking things slow.

And replaying it again, I'm really disappointed by just how much background information is left out. Rapture gave you so much detail, and all of it was captivating. You don't really learn much about Columbia, or the characters (as I've already said). In Rapture you knew how the city came to be, you knew about plasmids, you knew about Big Daddies, you knew about the philosophy - you just knew about everything.

I feel like all the stuff about tears, and the cool factor with it, is kind of stopping people from critically analyzing the rest of the story and plot.

Postby Exodis » Sun May 05, 2013 10:59 pm

That's why Irrational's gonna release DLCs: to have players learn more about Columbia.
Mir@k: Exodis is the little kid of the forum, compared to everyone else.
Grey: From now on i will call you eggy because i don't like x but ex sounds like eggs. i like eggs.
Yog: Exodis, your manner of speech and the way you conduct yourself is beginning to evolve to the point where I'm starting to like you.
Blood Lord: Yup, Randori is a very well respected night elf of the community. His valuable service to the site has brought great blessings to this people.
BeeAre: I'm totally gay for Randori.
Stuff: Exodis, you are learning. Mama is proud.

Deemed as the best, Outlawed as the worst.
Check out my story! Exodis - The Last Savior
The Universal Swordsman

Postby EagleMan » Sun May 05, 2013 11:52 pm

Yes, and that's dumb.

Postby True Order » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 am

^this.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Asmodai » Tue May 07, 2013 3:57 am

I cant bring myself to play through it a second time. The combat is just so bland... The prospect of reaching the end again is just putting me off.

Really wish they had used the Bioshock combat system, which was far more engaging and fun.
Mephobiac

Postby EagleMan » Tue May 07, 2013 3:02 pm

The Sky-Lines are a bit fun (besides on 1999 mode where you're just using it to slowly chip away at everything), but the Vigors were a let down compared to the Plasmids. Being a Big Daddy with that Tonic that let Plasmids cost barely even EVE and you only get to use your drill - that was perfection.

Return to Snafu Gaming