My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Valhallen » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:26 am

Mad-Mutt wrote:I didn't really watch a lot of the Azumanga anime myself because I had that big ass omnibus that had all the comics. The anime is suppose to be based off of the comics so I doubt I'm missing anything. I think its funnier in comic form personally, but that's just me.
I've seen all of both. Most of the content is the same, but each medium has its own way of conveying things. Scenes like these, I think, work very well in the anime (I prefer subs to the English version, myself).

Incidentally, I'm currently having an argument with someone about the implications of the Von Neumann–Morgenstern utility theorem in response to issues raised in a pony fanfiction.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:43 am

Mon-Kitsune wrote:Yes it's a bit subtle at first, probably because there's no real pronociation difference; what makes the Osaka dialect notable is that it's spoken somewhat slower. Which I suppose, means that, when they dub they should really just ask the voice actors to speak a bit slower than they normally would, though that would probably sound odd (I have a mental image of dozens of actors all of whom sound like they are doing Emo Phillips impressions).

Wait wait wait wait... Them talking slower is a part of the accent? ... I've... noticed that for ages... I just thought Osaka spoke that way because she was simple. Haven't really listened to many Osakan anime characters, so it didn't register... Huh. Well, the more you know.

Also, that kinda sounds interesting, Val. Care to share the debate with us? I'm a bit curious.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:18 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:
Mon-Kitsune wrote:Yes it's a bit subtle at first, probably because there's no real pronociation difference; what makes the Osaka dialect notable is that it's spoken somewhat slower. Which I suppose, means that, when they dub they should really just ask the voice actors to speak a bit slower than they normally would, though that would probably sound odd (I have a mental image of dozens of actors all of whom sound like they are doing Emo Phillips impressions).

Wait wait wait wait... Them talking slower is a part of the accent? ... I've... noticed that for ages... I just thought Osaka spoke that way because she was simple. Haven't really listened to many Osakan anime characters, so it didn't register... Huh. Well, the more you know.

That's actually probably the origin for the stereotype (both Tokyoites about the people of Osaka, and ours about Southerners and now that I think of it, Midwesterners/Minnesotans), There sterotype running Speak Slow=Think Slow=Stupid. As Jeff Foxworthy said in one of his routines "When people hear me talk, they want to deduct 50 IQ points" It's probably not that diffenet from our US TV stereotype that if someone speaks with a British accent, they are smart (if it's the BBC/Oxford/Cambridge one, if they speak like a Cockney, we think there a lovabel rouge, and if it's Yorkshire/Cornawall, they're a pirate.) A wierd variation of this happened to me for a while. I used to be fairly fluent in Spanish (I'm really rusty now, and have forgotten most of it). However I had the following odd conundrum, despite living in an area where most of the Spanish speakers were from Latin America, it so happened that all of my Spanish teachers happened to actually be from Spain, so when I learned the language I learned it up with a notable Castillian accent. So whenever I actually tried to talk Spanish with people my own age, they would joke about me trying to put on airs and sound smarter and better educated than I was (or maybe they were just making fun of me.)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:50 am

That is actually a common thing that I've seen around here. My old Spanish teacher taught "Spanish" Spanish where I went to school, even though most of the populace were from Mexican heritage. But when I tried applying it, I'd have some family saying I sounded pompous. The same goes for my father. Dad learned his Spanish from his wife who speaks it, but I've been told my Grandfather's wife doesn't like how he speaks. Maybe it's just one of those things people liking people who speak their language how they speak it.

Anywho, back on topic.

An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:04 pm

I want to start off by saying that by the end of the Azumanga Daioh series, Osaka got scored high on her exams and got into a really good college (The Omnibus describe it as a Tokyo U) so she's not a slow girl, she may not be all the way there, but she's proven that she can be intelligent when she needs to be, or maybe she always was? DUN DUN DUUUUN.
Anyways, that was a little bit of something from an over observant fan of the comics, don't mind me.

Now for another part of my business:

I just heard a rumor that season 4 won't be out until 2014. Their deviantart sources so no idea of how accurate they are. Anyone know what's up?
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 pm

I heard early Winter before, so this is news to me. Have a link to this sorce?

EDIT:

http://www.mane6.com/2013/03/725k-final-frontier.html

Mane6 got the Zero engine! HUZZAH! Sadly though... I won't be able to see the Salty Cupcake stream the Skullgirls people will be having tonight... Have work til midnight ^^'
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:27 pm

Like I said it was a rumor I heard on deviantart. Some dude who has an MLP group posted that season four won't be out until 2014. He didn't say where he got his sources from and I didn't ask because there seemed to be a large amount of upset comments in that journal. One dude was even trying to amass an army of angry followers to march on Hasbro and take it down. At least that's the impression I got from him. He was basically talking about how Hasbro needs to go which makes me wonder what will happen to the show its self if the company who makes it goes away, I don't think that guy really thought this out that much. Either that or he's a troll.
If youtube has taught me one thing its to stay away from those kinds of comment boxes because if there's even the slightest misunderstanding people will start screaming at their computer screen like lava is being injected into their rear entrance.

Here's a link to the journal I heard this rumor from, but for now its not much more than a rumor so don't expect much more than speculation. That's why I came here to ask you guys if you've heard anything about it.:
http://mordetwi.deviantart.com/journal/ ... -361880051

On the upside the journal also has a link to where you can preorder an MLP DVD apparently.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:32 pm

S4 is scheduled for this winter, which should be December. Here's the official source.

Gratz to the mane6 team, I thought they wouldn't make it.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Well, that's nice to know. To bad no one who read that journal entry may know that for a while. Yeah, this is why I never trust rumors.

As for the stuff with the Mane6, personally there was never any doubt in my mind that they would make it.
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 pm

Oh wow, well I lost the bet there then. I had this doubt that they wouldn't make it. Four days ago, it 500-something-k then it shot up to 789K? Yeah, damn, son. Bravo to the contributors!

"You're not a wonderbolt, you a... brony plaything!" - some guy in dA.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:02 am

This.... just.... ALL OF MY WANT!!!!

Also this:

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:12 pm

I draw a lot and sometimes I kinda need something in the background to help me focus while I'm working. So I'm actually glad there are things like this around. I've never drawn for ten hours straight, but I have drawn for a good long amount of time. I've never really keep track of how long I draw per-day now that I think about so... you know what forget I've said anything, here's the video.

For those of you who don't want to spend 10 hours here's a pictures of Octavia looking cool:

I really like the pencil stokes in this, it has a softness to it that I really like to see in traditional art.
Bark

Postby TheLivingCouch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:29 pm

So guys I'm on bit of a mission at the moment. I'm trying to find an early song in the fandom's history that I really like but it's been eluding me. I don't remember the exact title of the song but it was a celebration song for Luna. It was just a guy singing along with an acoustic guitar and at the end he signed off giving the date and year. I'll roll it around but the only lyric I remember is "we're singing for you." I know it's terribly generic but it's all I have right now. I thought it appeared in an early toastbeard but I can't find it there. Anyway any help in tracking it down again would be appreciated.

Postby Grieffon » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:44 pm

TheLivingCouch wrote:So guys I'm on bit of a mission at the moment. I'm trying to find an early song in the fandom's history that I really like but it's been eluding me. I don't remember the exact title of the song but it was a celebration song for Luna. It was just a guy singing along with an acoustic guitar and at the end he signed off giving the date and year. I'll roll it around but the only lyric I remember is "we're singing for you." I know it's terribly generic but it's all I have right now. I thought it appeared in an early toastbeard but I can't find it there. Anyway any help in tracking it down again would be appreciated.

Do you remember when it came out? Even the year would help. Was it on EQD?

Postby Dibullba » Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:27 pm

I have no idea what that song actually is, but perhaps you could try checking out Mandopony's songs since he is the only brony I know that does acoustic guitar.

Postby TheLivingCouch » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:35 pm

A ha! I found it. Don't know if it was on EqD at all, but the song is called Lunar Song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aqnCCJVdt8

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 am

The Journey of the Spark team is recruiting animators and Legend of Equestria is also recruiting animators and artists for anyone who may be interested.

Postby Grivous » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:27 am

Oh. My. GOD.

That picture where the artist Jiayri resumes all the Season 1 was(and still is) amazing but... but...

THIS IS JUST!

Ties of Friendship

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:46 pm

HOLY SHIT!!!

How have I never seen this guy's work before...

In other news I was on Derpibooru just a while ago and found that one of my much older and traditional drawings had been posted there a while ago. It wasn't done with my permission, but I don't mind, they give me credit with a link to my gallery. I noticed an interesting tag under my drawing as well.

The tag read: Mamma Twilight.

I was curious so I clicked on it and found some very interesting stuff. Some of it made me laugh, some of it made me feel like I had something stuck in my eye, but most of it made me go, Dawww.

Here's some of my favorite images I found.

First off here's the picture that I drew myself. Its an older drawing, but I still like it and I still think its adorable:

Now here's a cute thing someone else made:

Cuteness Part 3:

And I'm a little sorry about this one, but dammit, this made me laugh:

Cuteness Part 4:

And here's my favorite. Its a comic and its a long one so I'm going to put it as a link, but click on it. Its adorable:
http://derpicdn.net/media/W1siZiIsIjIwM ... fe.png.png
Last edited by Mad-Mutt on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bark

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:56 pm

Ok so I finally got off my ass and finished the final few chapters of Background Pony. I also realize now why I was avoiding it for the longest time. First let me say Background Pony is an amazing fic that really should be read. I must also say that the ending is the saddest ending to anything that I have ever read. If you thought MLD, or Bubbles, or Final Dreams of a Filly were sad, they are nothing in comparison. Background Pony's ending is not only sad, it is soul crushingly depressing.

Just as a refresher, Background Pony is the story of Lyra and a terrible curse. She is cursed to be forgotten by anypony she ever meets mere moments after leaving their side. She cannot make a mark on anypony, leave any sort of trace of her own existence, or even leave Ponyville, the site of her curse. The only thing she has is the music in her head that she believes holds the key to setting herself free from the curse.

Massive ending spoilers ahead.

In the end Lyra has discovered all the movements to the grand symphony in her head, helped a great many ponies, and even played a role in stopping Discord's return in Return of Harmony. She battled crushing loneliness, the chilling cold of her curse, constant memory loss, and fought against fate to the bitter end. When her goal of ending the curse was in sight however she found the true cost of her freedom. To be free from the curse meant that all the things she managed to change while cursed would be lost. History would be rewritten so that she was never cursed to begin with. This not only meant the loss of several ponies' happiness, but the death of Scootaloo and the unstoppable wrath of Discord on top of that. It was a cost that she could not bear. The alternative was being chained away forever in the Unsung realm forever singing Princess Aria's song. In the end she chose neither. She chose to live her remaining days away in Ponyville, not only that but without her love of music, the one thing that drove her as far and as hard as she did. Live there she did, as a ghost. Months went by at a time the poor mare's memory so full of holes because of the curse. The curse was just so heavy handed and Lyra's final fate so hard to watch. I understand her decision in the end but damn it all if she didn't deserve so much more than she got. So so very sad.   

Any way, great fic but depressing as all hell. Finally time to move onto something else now I suppose.

Postby Grivous » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:45 pm

Double Rainboom Released!

Time to talk in spoilers about it!

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Me: Watching it and thinking the animation is pretty good. Its kind of different, but it pretty good... Hold on... is that... WHAT THE F%$#!?

Blossom, Bubbles and Buttercup show up and my reaction is somewhere between joy and confusion. I honestly didn't know what the hell to think at that point. Look, PPG is my favorite show of all time. No really I love that show. I can't even express how much I actually like the show. It was a lot of fun to see them again, but also just weird even if it was a fan made project. My initial reaction though was, "They can get Bubble's voice to sound almost right, but not Blossom and Buttercups!? I also don't think they would've chased Dash through the city streets like that. Their superheroes, that means they wouldn't harass an innocent person even if it was a talking pony. The would've asked what was up and tried to see if they could help her get home.

... Okay, turning into a bit of a critic there which is something I don't like doing, but I guess I just really, really like PPG.

Seeing RD with the PPG was just surreal and strange. I haven't look at a screen in such confusion since I got to the final boss of Metal Gear Rising. This was... interesting. Another word for it is weird.

I haven't even decided if I'm excited for the up coming PPG special and this drops out of the sky and lands on my head sending me into a confused state before recovering and wondering just what the hell hit me. I'm still not sure if I liked it or not..

That was just... huh?

Oh, look its Bloo.   

After reading the comment of Double Rainboom I got to say. There are at lot of people who are turning into critics. It almost wants me to take back what I said earlier about    the PPG being OOC    not because I changed my mind, but because of the weird amount of negativity and everyone suddenly turning into a critic. I didn't think it was that bad over all even if it is kind of weird, but its a fan project. I look at these because I expect weirdness (sometimes) I guess in this case people didn't come for weirdness they came to watch an MLP episode made by a fan. I just thought it was alright, I didn't dislike it and the people did do a lot of work on it.

Anyways if you liked this little fan project I wouldn't recommend reading the comments because it might deflate your good mood. Then again, this IS youtube so people being asses to each other is to be expected. Also this is just a first look at the comment section so things might improve in favor of the fan animation.

Either way from what I've seen, its seem like things are off to a rocky start for Double Rainboom.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:49 pm

The animation was great and it was fun to watch, but that's it. Too much time was used on references, in-jokes and scenes that just look good; there was almost nothing to the story. I can't say that it gave me any impression, good or bad. Perhaps a bit disappointed.

@Couch
I am planning to read that, but while going through some art of it some damn comments ruined the ending for me. Now I know what happens to Lyra in the end...

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:13 pm

Then you will be better prepared than I for when the fic straight punches you in the gut. I mean that in the best possible way of course but damn that ending man.

As for Double Rainboom, I enjoyed it. Was it everything it was hyped up to be? No. That still doesn't mean it wasn't pretty damn awesome.    The whole crossover aspect through me for a total loop but for what it was I thought they did well with it. Still would have preferred if they just stuck to the pony universe. That being said I to thought the the PPG were just a little OOC chasing Dash around like that and beating the tar out of that monster after it apologized.   

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Read this.

Something official to compare Double Rainboom with.

Maybe I'm a little too critical about it. It's still our first fan episode ever, and a lot of time and effort was put into it, all for the fandom with no profit involved. It deserves more praises.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)