My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:15 am

You could give it to her there too.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Mercypostle

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:21 am

Ain't this the most adorable thing? Oh yeah, It's for sale.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:28 am

Those pony paintings are always too expensive.

Pinkie Pie's Japanese dub. It fits her really well.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 am

I didn't know Andrea is part-Japanese! Somepony gimme the torrent of this baby!

Good voice acting right there.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:43 am

I want this torrent as well... Even while distorted, it was just wonderful. That bubbly voice :D
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:11 am

I MADE AN ARTS!

For a friend of mine that I thought would be cute.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:52 am

Huh clever.

Reminds of my favorite hi-tech car series...

VIPER.
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:30 pm

My reaction to the Japanese Pinkie was this:

"Holy crap they actually managed to make her cuter."
Bark

Postby Grivous » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Gah! Japanese Pinkie it's too much cute! My teeth!

TORRENTS! MUST!

By the way...

My Little Pony Z! (with English subs)

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:17 pm

I don't know why I find this so hilarious, but I do:

And here's something cute for the people who're creeped out by the last picture:

And here's another cute thing for the hell of it:
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:35 pm

I really like Celery (the OC with the poking gif earlier). The blog does not try to be cool and epic, just simple stuff.

A bit unrelated, but I finished Gravity Falls and started on Adventure Times. I'm surprised with the things they can get away with, especially AT's sex jokes. If only MLP was more loose as well.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:29 pm

I think MLP being innocent innocent as it is is a good thing.

Some of the stuff they do in the comics (that I finally got around to reading) would be fun to see though.
An Optimist

Postby Ganon » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:14 am

I will remind everyone that Celery is our Curacao :3
CRISIS: Equestria (Chapters 1-33)
Current Work-in-Progress: CRISIS: Equestria - Chapter 34/35 - Status - 34: 99% done; 35 - 33% Done
Revision Progress: Chapter 16 - NOT YET STARTED
Author

Postby J-Dude » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 am

Hehehe, yeah!

This little number is a test of the various functions I required to make the Source-Filmmaker/Garrysmod models work in 3D Studio Max.

Getting the eyes working was also an interesting task, since the game models depend on a sort of texture alignment in-game, and not physically spinning eyeballs. I managed that with look-at constraints and FFD lattice deformers, but still had to render the eyes seperately and matte them in, inside Adobe Premiere, since the eyeballs would penetrate the eyelids when she blinked. Works great now, though :-)

Set up a simple IK rig, but if the short gesture she does with her foreleg is any indicator, I'll need to add in a redundant skeleton for IK/FK switching to allow me more control. Also, her mane doesn't move here like it will when I figure out how to automate the secondary animation properly. Her tail currently uses a splineIK system with a flex modifier, but it's a bit erratic and jerky-looking.

Anyway, enough Star Trek technobabble about multi-modal reflection sorting, this is a decent example of what to expect from my animation in-future. Hope you like it =D

Also, this currently uses a cel-shading effect to make her look cartoony. Hopefully this doesn' creep anyone out, and if possible, I can add SOME shading to flesh-out the details a bit more. Also, I'm aware the lines aren't as thick as in the show. If they were, then her mouth would look pretty awful, and I don't have much of an effective way to change the size of the lines in specific areas. So teeny-thin lines are what we get. Take it as artistic license ;-)
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:31 am

Grieffon wrote:Pinkie Pie's Japanese dub. It fits her really well.

No question. If anyone ever finds a clip of whoever does the Japanese AJ, please post it, as I am ITCHING to know if they filpped the trope for the Japanese version and made her speak Osaka dialect.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:

No question. If anyone ever finds a clip of whoever does the Japanese AJ, please post it, as I am ITCHING to know if they filpped the trope for the Japanese version and made her speak Osaka dialect.

You mean like the reverse of what they did with the English dub of Azumanga Daioh?
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:51 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:
Mon-Kitsune wrote:

You mean like the reverse of what they did with the English dub of Azumanga Daioh?

Haven't seen a lot of Azumanga Diaoh but probably. They actually do that for a lot of series, I know they did it for some of the Burst Angel (one of them is paricualry funny, since it is Don Sabat doing it, and he's doing his Piccolo voice ON TOP of the Southern Accent) There's a few in Ghost in the Shell as well, I think.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:40 pm

J-Dude... That was some awesome animation. Great work. *applauds*

I watched Azumanga Diaoh, both in Japanese and English, but it's been so long I totally forgot they did that for the English dub. But with the Japanese dub, the "Osaka" accent didn't all too much stand out to me. It just all sounded Japanese to me. It took me a little rewatching to actually hear the difference.
An Optimist

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:51 pm

I didn't really watch a lot of the Azumanga anime myself because I had that big ass omnibus that had all the comics. The anime is suppose to be based off of the comics so I doubt I'm missing anything. I think its funnier in comic form personally, but that's just me.
My first reaction to Osaka's English dub voice was a very surprised, "What the F&#$!?"
I didn't dislike, but it took me a while before I decided if I did like or not. I guess it did make a little since to give her some sort of an accent because in the comic they do a lot jokes based off of Osaka's southern heritage.

Now here's some crossover pictures:

Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:42 pm

That Mabel pony sure got me in the mood for Gravity Falls x MLP crossover pics.

LOOK AT HOW ADORABLE THEY ARE!
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:55 am

J-Dude wrote:

Good job on this one, JD. Animation looks good. One thing though, what's with the jitter after she said, "I was the ponyville librarian." And about Twi's nose... is there a way to have an outline of the snout in 3/4 view? It looks awkward without any contour visible. Thanks!
Not-an-animator

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:53 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:J-Dude... That was some awesome animation. Great work. *applauds*

I watched Azumanga Diaoh, both in Japanese and English, but it's been so long I totally forgot they did that for the English dub. But with the Japanese dub, the "Osaka" accent didn't all too much stand out to me. It just all sounded Japanese to me. It took me a little rewatching to actually hear the difference.

Yes it's a bit subtle at first, probably because there's no real pronociation difference; what makes the Osaka dialect notable is that it's spoken somewhat slower. Which I suppose, means that, when they dub they should really just ask the voice actors to speak a bit slower than they normally would, though that would probably sound odd (I have a mental image of dozens of actors all of whom sound like they are doing Emo Phillips impressions).

Postby J-Dude » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:47 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Good job on this one, JD. Animation looks good. One thing though, what's with the jitter after she said, "I was the ponyville librarian." And about Twi's nose... is there a way to have an outline of the snout in 3/4 view? It looks awkward without any contour visible. Thanks!

That gesture was her shaking herself out of a funk she's been in since a pretty damn traumatic series of events in the beginning of the story. The librarian thing was a sudden reminder, and she had to snap herself out of it, given they had serious business at hand and she couldn't afford to be overladen with melancholy.

As to the snout, the best I can think of is to fake a little line at the tip of the nose, and figure out how to make that vanish as it goes into a side-view. After all, all that defines the snout from the front are a pair of nostrils and a little line over them where the tip should be.

If you mean the profile of the snout from the side, not much I can do. It's not my model, but I've run into this issue before in character modeling. Well defined nose from the side, both eyes visible from any front or 3/4 view, and you can't have the bridge of the nose blocking the other eye too early. The original modeler looks to have found the ideal solution, maintaining the essential profile of the side view while keeping the features of the face as visible as possible. It does, however, mean a lack of any sharp profile of the bridge of the nose in the 3/4 view.

And just to be sure, I've got the model open right now. Yeah, it's just how the model works. The snout is as thick as we see from the front, and you don't really see the profile of the snout until most of the furthest eye can no longer be seen. To get a result that would even matter, it'd require a radical and likely ill-advised change in the overall facial structure. I don't honestly think it would be worth it, or that my result would be better.

The ponies have obviously translated about as well as you could hope for in 3D, given how good these models look overall, but traditional animation is still built upon visual tricks and inconsistencies, and you're not going to get everything you want :\
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:27 pm

Fellow Bronies, I'm not even going to try to describe how awesome this is, to do so may very well be impossible. This is just... it just is...

Bark

Postby Dibullba » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:48 am

Warning: Viewing this picture of something sweet in your sugary treat will result in comatose. You have been warned!!!

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)