My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Maru » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:04 pm

Oh my god this is so much better than I thought originally. Hope it doesn't nosedive too much. Wait this might not even be official...

But still. Aww, young Twilight in the low left corner~
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Manly Crust Breather

Postby J-Dude » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:39 pm

Wow :eek:

If that's what Equestria Girls ends up looking like, I might give it a chance again! That's WORLDS better than anything we've seen thus far.

And sorry to derail that thought, but I have something to push :D

...My animated teaser-trailer for Black Equinox 8)

Easily the biggest and most involved thing I've done since the PPGD video. Also the first thing that was made just for video since then either, given I've been doing game stuff for so long.

And yes, that IS Rina-Chan providing the voices. Took a while to get her, and in future I might find someone a bit easier to get hold of, but I wanted this sumbitch to have the star treatment.

That forest segment took 17...HOURS... to render. That's about an hour per thousand trees in that scene. Yeah.

And like I discussed before, I actually wanted to add texture to the trees. In fact, I HAD textures for the trees. Made them up and everything. However, THAT pretty much dumped ten additional minutes per frame to renders that themselves were already 2-minutes long. So yeah, that got cut.

In future I'll probably develop an LOD system for distant trees that reduces them to low-res clusters instead of individual models. It's not like FIM draws individual trees in its backgrounds, it draws big flat-color shapes in layers.

But hey, it's an attention getter, seeing a fanwork with that kind of dense forest being rendered in one massive effects sequence.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 pm

Maru wrote:Oh my god this is so much better than I thought originally. Hope it doesn't nosedive too much. Wait this might not even be official...

Still peaks my interest. A lot more than I care for it too, but it still is. I hope they keep the same voice actors if they decide to carry this plan forth.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:22 am

Amazingly well done J-Dude. I agree though that it does not need to be overdone with the textures. Unless it is something you are planning to commit to as a yearly project sort of thing, then probably better to make adjustments where needed. I anticipate the release of it and undoubtedly that trailer will probably end up on EQD if not just a roundup.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:44 am

Is Black Equinox going to be an animated series?

Mad-Mutt wrote:These sketches look a little better. It has more rounded and softer features that doesn't go against the art style of the original show and its less cringe worthy. Also, is it just me or is AJ making a rude hand jester. I'm not sure what that means outside of my city, but in my town that jester she's making means, "F-you"

Is this official art work or just something you drew for fun? I kind of puts me in the mind of a Scott Pilgrim comic.
*Notices the little Scott at the bottom of your post*

One more thing: Is that Twilight dressed as Raven?

They're sketches I did for fun. :D

And no, AJ's not giving the FU. It's that "You can do it" gesture.

Didn't know that gesture was an FU. ha ha

No one recognizes Ingrid anymore :<
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:50 am

Mad-Mutt wrote: Also, is it just me or is AJ making a rude hand jester. I'm not sure what that means outside of my city, but in my town that jester she's making means, "F-you"

It's possible that that is the gesture AJ is making (I giggled a little at what you wrote, sounds like a Yu-gi-oh card ("I summon my Rude Hand Jester!") However that is also a gesture a lot of people use to say "my arms are strong" I sort of depends on whether AJ put her hand on her arm and then took it off quicky (the rude one) or kept it there (the "I'm flexing my muscles") which of course, we can't really tell from a static picture. Or Kusang could be right.
Maru wrote:Oh my god this is so much better than I thought originally. Hope it doesn't nosedive too much. Wait this might not even be official...

That's young Twilight? I thought it was Ingrid Third (From Fillmore! )
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:21 am

Good going, Mon. Man, I sort of miss Fillmore... It was a good Disney show. At least the creator is still doing good work (The Walking Dead currently).
Kusang_Manalo wrote:And no, AJ's not giving the FU. It's that "You can do it" gesture.

What I remember is that the Japanese use that gesture as their "F U". But if they were the ones that originally started using it in that manner or if they just picked it up from another culture isn't known to me.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:31 am

Almost done with Filmore. I miss cartoons like these. Looking for a decent Weekenders too :]
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby punzil504 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:01 am

Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby True Order » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 am

Did somebody say Pi day?!

"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 pm

Reply for: Kusang_Manalo

I hope the official look does look or feel something like this. The amount of energy and fun the characters seem to give off makes it look like something I would actually give a chance and watch. These look like characters I would actually want to spend time with.

Someone show Hasbro these sketches, as far as I'm concerned this is a step in the right direction.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm

Mr. Sefrol wrote:Good going, Mon. Man, I sort of miss Fillmore... It was a good Disney show. At least the creator is still doing good work (The Walking Dead currently).
Kusang_Manalo wrote:And no, AJ's not giving the FU. It's that "You can do it" gesture.

What I remember is that the Japanese use that gesture as their "F U". But if they were the ones that originally started using it in that manner or if they just picked it up from another culture isn't known to me.

Indecent hand gestures are a cloudy thing' pretty much every culture has a different one. Brazil uses the OK sign I thnk. Some parts of england use a reversed peace sign (palm towards you) this one actually resulted in some funny mistakes; the "normal" peace sign was the V for Victory used by Churchill and there are documented cases where he was innatentive (or drunk, we are talking about Churchill) and managed to give the wrong one. A lot of the Medterrenian uses the fica "fig" a fist with the thumb stuck between the first two fingers, though this is also sometimes used as a good luck sign against the evil eye (in fact a lot of people in the middle east wear little glass ficas on bracelets. I used to know a person whose family came from Jablonec in the Czech republic whose family worked at the glass bead factory that made them.) In parts of Russia they use a gesture where you put out one hand and pull back the index finger with the other (it's called something like "looking under the cat's tail.")
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:54 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:Reply for: Kusang_Manalo

I hope the official look does look or feel something like this. The amount of energy and fun the characters seem to give off makes it look like something I would actually give a chance and watch. These look like characters I would actually want to spend time with.

Someone show Hasbro these sketches, as far as I'm concerned this is a step in the right direction.

I appreciate the kind words. If you like these sketches, I'm pretty sure you'll love the animation for Equestria Girls. It's still as good as you've seen so far in the FiM series.

@Mon: Yeah, It's a warning for me to watch my gestures when I'm in a different continent. Else, I'll end up not getting hired at all ha ha!
Not-an-animator

Postby Grieffon » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:35 pm

@J-Dude
Woa, that's some good stuff. I need to find time for long fics.

Got my HotS copy today.

Postby Dibullba » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:02 am

Grats on EQD Nightly Roundup post J-Dude

Postby J-Dude » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:34 pm

@Dibulba: Thanks on both counts! Yeah, feel it got the shorter end of the stick, plugged in with a nightly roundup (which I almost never read, myself) instead of getting its own post, or put in with other animations, but the video view count went from 60 to 600 views in twelve hours, so I can't complain too much...

@Kusang: No, I'm not falling into THAT trap again, lol. This will strictly be select scenes from the fic that will be animated, and ultimately my biggest goal is to produce a proper full-length story trailer. Doing so will require MAJOR environmental modeling jobs, crowd scenes and money-shot style effects renders, but the great thing about making this all look toony is that the shaders are cheap on the renderer, lol. Mostly I'll have to worry about modelling a bunch of things to look decent when they explode or get ripped to pieces, or melt under a heat-beam. Y'know, stuff to justify using an actual 3D animation package and not just freaking Source Filmmaker.

@Grieffon: Thanks :-)

Yeah, definitely made this with the hopes that it would attract more readers. I never thought my synopsis was very good, and I never saw how to improve it. This teaser however? It does EXACTLY what I wanted it to do. It establishes a mood and an air of mystery and intrigue. It hints upon important events in the fic without giving much away.

Best of all though, I think that people just tend to take fanfiction with accompanying art and animation more seriously than without. Like, "Oh man, this has all kinds of artwork for the chapters, and even an animated trailer! This thing must be serious!"
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby Grivous » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:29 pm

New stuff from "Behind of Scenes" that Lauren and Cindy Morrow dropped on Twitter.

Link

Like: This should be for Ganon's interests:

Luna Eclipsed had a scene with Rarity making a pink princess costume for Luna

And the most random thing:

Pinkie Pie used to have a "Sugard Rush" power when she ate too much candy. She would plow through doors, and the Cakes had to replace theirs on a weekly basis

Grivous.
Grivous

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:33 pm

My favorite one of those was the one that said Scootaloo was basically beating the shit out of the other kids because they were making fun of how she couldn't fly.

I kind of want to make a comic now of Scootaloo making Silver Spoon bite the curve now.

Congrats if you know where that's from.

Edit: One of my watchers posted this in his journal. Its a decent PMV.

Bark

Postby TheLivingCouch » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:08 pm

J-Dude wrote:
...My animated teaser-trailer for Black Equinox 8)

Ayup. That's some Grade A awesome stuff there J-Dude. I saw it here before I saw it here before I saw it in the round up but I check the round up everyday so I would have come across it one way or another. It was well worth grabbing Rina for this. She did an excellent job. I didn't even pick her out until the credits rolled. Her voice is so distinctive that usually you can tell when she's voicing something. Not here though. That being said I really do need to get caught up on your fic J-Dude. What I've read so far has been rather good, but time is against me lately. Ah well.

Postby J-Dude » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 am

Holy shit!

I can't complain about the roundup NOW... The views on that video just jumped to about 1600 :eek:

That's a HELL of a lot more than the pair of animations that came out today in an animation post on EQD, which now average about 300 hits. I think I underestimated how much people pay attention to the nightly roundup. Not to mention, my animation was the first thing on the roundup post...

@Couch: Thanks dude :-)

Yeah, Rina did a stellar job. I think it helped that I have her some context to the lines, so she definitely made sure Twilight sounded a bit more subdued and downplayed. Her performance gelled well with the music and the overall tone that was set. Would you believe her line readings were actually something I considered only a little while into production? Man, how different, confusing and nebulous would this have been without the vocals? You'd have had to just take my word for it that it had anything to do with MLP, unless you recognized the cartoony shapes of the clouds.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:37 am

I kinda expected you to be on board that series thing... ah well. But doing this teaser thing will certainly hype up your FiM fic. Gets more attention that way, I suppose.

If ever you decide to do a series/ mini-series, would you consider using the models done in SFM?
Not-an-animator

Postby J-Dude » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:23 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:I kinda expected you to be on board that series thing... ah well. But doing this teaser thing will certainly hype up your FiM fic. Gets more attention that way, I suppose.

If ever you decide to do a series/ mini-series, would you consider using the models done in SFM?

Well, I'm already trying to do certain SCENES in 3D. Actually, at this very moment I'm working to patch Nahka's upgraded SFM models so they'll work in Max.

Problem is, he modeled the facial expressions using modeled busts of three different heads, and each head has expressions the others don't for some reason.

See, in Source, I guess the in-game morpher is good at approximating or something, so it all worked when he ported it to the engine.

In Max though? Your vertices all get specific numbers in a model, and those get matched to the same number in a facial expression clone. No approximating. If I port in the different head models (Fluttershy and Rarity, because their eyes are slightly different) even if I got the vertex count correct, the morph would match the wrong vertices and create an unusable mess.

So right now, I'm going through the other facial expressions, and using a tedious-as-fuck method of vertex snapping to match the original model to the other facial expressions. Which means, yes, I'm selecting individual vertices in a DETAIL DENSE model, and moving them to the right spot with snapping. And let me tell you, I HATE the corner of the mouth, because it's always where the polys bunch up and overlap, and then I can't see shit.

Literally, I'm doing a single expression an hour, if I'm lucky. Tell me I'm not fucking dedicated...

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:14 am

That's intense. Your dedication will pay off soon enough. Looking forward to next vid! :D

Is anyone here planning to attend San Diego Comi-Con? I have this nagging feeling they will reveal Equestria Girls there. When's SDCC?
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:37 am

I'm wanting to go to EQLA. I know Ganon is going, but... is anyone else thinking of it?
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:45 pm

@Kusang
SDCC is Jul 18-21. I wanted to go, but it sold out so fast :/

@Sefrol
I will go again this year, as it's the only con I can go. You might want to decide soon, it may be sold out any moment.

Galacon promo by Jan aka ask the crusaders

More from Mixermike

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)