A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

If the world was a village of a 100 people

Postby Asmodai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 am

Mephobiac

Re: If the world was a village of a 100 people

Postby Tuor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:41 am

I've seen this a couple times, but it's always nifty to see
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sentios » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 am

Asmodai wrote:Image

Depends what you mean by computer, some parts of the world people are starving but they still manage to have cell phones.
Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Vegedus » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:15 am

I guess "100 people in a village" is more... Exciting... than just stating it as percent of the world population?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Asmodai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 am

If the world were a village of 100 people, how would the composition be? This set of 20 posters is built on statistics about the spread of population around the world under various classifications. The numbers are turned into graphics to give another sense a touch – Look, this is the world we are living in.

red dot award: communication design 2009
Graphic Design In China Awards 2009
International Design Awards 2009
HOW International Design Awards 2010
HKDA Global Design Awards 2011

It's a designing thing. And yeah, I find it more interesting to imagine each percentage as a person, rather than a number.
Mephobiac

Postby Sentios » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:32 pm

But you needed to be told that? This is hand holding to the extreme.

Postby Asmodai » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:37 pm

Well... yeah. I dont go out looking for statistics like this, so having them be presented like this is far more interesting than a boring pie chart show me that 7% of the world population has a computer and 93% doesn't. Again, this is all about design.
Mephobiac

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:46 pm

Well to be fair, cell phones have caught on in africa because they were never wired up with phone lines or cable like developed nations, so while developed nations look at cell phones as a luxury compared to a house phone, the view is reversed in Africa.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Sentios wrote:Depends what you mean by computer, some parts of the world people are starving but they still manage to have cell phones.

Cell phones = Computers?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:25 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:Well to be fair, cell phones have caught on in africa because they were never wired up with phone lines or cable like developed nations, so while developed nations look at cell phones as a luxury compared to a house phone, the view is reversed in Africa.

Hmm, that is interesting.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Sentios » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Asmodai wrote:Well... yeah. I dont go out looking for statistics like this, so having them be presented like this is far more interesting than a boring pie chart show me that 7% of the world population has a computer and 93% doesn't. Again, this is all about design.

Whether it's 7% or 7 out of 100 it's the same fucking thing though.

Blood Lord wrote:Cell phones = Computers?

1980s computer = computer?

It's not really about capabilities.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:28 pm

Sentios wrote:
Asmodai wrote:Well... yeah. I dont go out looking for statistics like this, so having them be presented like this is far more interesting than a boring pie chart show me that 7% of the world population has a computer and 93% doesn't. Again, this is all about design.

Some people like being told they're getting a dozen eggs, other people prefer twelve. Its about preference and relation to the individual.

Sentios wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:Cell phones = Computers?

1980s computer = computer?

It's not really about capabilities.

That's a computer though, I'm trying to figure out your train of thought here when you made the statement... A cell phone isn't a computer. The smart phones can be considered close to it in that it can they can do nearly the same number of things, but as you said "It's not really about capabilities".
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Riz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:22 pm

A phone is a computer. A very simple computer. A calculator is also a very simple computer. (It's literally a computer.)
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:23 pm

So 93% of the world doesn't even have a calculator?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Riz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:26 pm

With so many people living in poverty in third world countries why would you be surprised

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:29 pm

Its just a hard number to believe when you see the sales of so much electronic equipment.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Riz » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:30 pm

Did you know there's a computer in your car? Wonder how they get the monitor and keyboard in there
(I'm just teasing)

Postby Asmodai » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:31 am

Sentios wrote:

Design, motherfucker, do you know it?

You know, art, pretty pictures, making information more visually appealing?
Mephobiac

Postby Riz » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:39 am

artists are so misunderstood

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am

Whenever I see these posters, I just imagine what would these 100 people be like if all of them were applied at the same time? Just these 100 people living with these characteristics all at once instead of spread out between billions of people.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Rival » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Asmodai wrote:Again, this is all about design.

Look Mr. design fetishist, the problem with these is that at best they're simplified hand-holding and at worst they spread misinformation while presenting them as facts. I will only talk about the two things I wrote papers about but:

1. The whole 52 women and 48 men thing, is almost ceirtainly outdated and untrue. China is the most populous country in the world and PRC'S one child policy significantly increased the number of abortions when the pregnancy is a girl, cases of female infanticide are widespread in rural areas, too.

In India most illegal abortions are caused by the pregnancy being confirmed as a girl, too. So if the two countries that have billion+ populations have more (in China's case vastly more) boys being born, then assuming a 52%-48% girl-boy ration worldwide is insane. There is in fact data that suggests more pregnacies turn out to be girls than boys, yes. But that doesn't translate to more women actually living on Earth.

2. The number of homosexuals is completely unverifiable too, because most of humanity lives in places where outing yourself as gay is dangerous. So there was one famous study in the 90's that concluded that it could be around 10%. But analysis of countries where tolerance towards gays is at a very high level (Sweden, Norway, Denmark) shows that the actual number is between 3,5%-5%. The studies that give numbers in the 10% range usually have very broad definitions of homosexuality like "anyone who's had a single homosexual experience" doesn't even have to be intercourse.

Just for the record I'm in favor of gay rights, I just think that overestimating the number of gay people is doing nobody a favor.

I can't link you any sources because most of the ones I used in my papers were either books and/or in Polish, but if you google "one child policy" and "demographics of sexual orientation" you'll get some data I'm sure.

BUT
Asmodai wrote:Well... yeah. I dont go out looking for statistics like this

That's why this annoys Sentios. This is showing dodgey statistics from a single study to lazy people and presenting them as undeniable facts with zero background info on criteria. Like the computer thing, we don't know what "computers" are meant. Anything that calculates? Only PC'S? We have to guess. Is "design" worth it that I can't even be sure what information I just learned and that I have to make, possibly wrong, assumptions? Or the freedom thing, how did they count that? Are all people in China automatically considered not free? Cause the top-brass is pretty fucking free to do whatever they want.

So you like the design, ok. But Sentios' point was that this is a bad way of educating anybody. It patronizes and misinforms. With the plague of "infotainment" running rampant: http://www.cgpgrey.com/blog/why-tv-news ... on-dollars I share his sentiment.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Mir@k » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:51 pm

I TAKE AN ULTRA JUICY SHIT ON THAT FOLD OF YOUR SKIN THAT YOU MAKE IN YOUR FOREHEAD WHEN YOU ARC YOUR EYEBROWS IN SURPRISE AT ME TAKING A MASSIVE JUICY DUMP ON YOUR FOREHEAD AND ON THIS CHILLY WEATHER YOU CAN ALSO COUNT IT AS STEAMY
DeviantArt | Tumblr | Twitter

"Bang and Abscond"
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:04 am

Mir@k wrote:I TAKE AN ULTRA JUICY SHIT ON THAT FOLD OF YOUR SKIN THAT YOU MAKE IN YOUR FOREHEAD WHEN YOU ARC YOUR EYEBROWS IN SURPRISE AT ME TAKING A MASSIVE JUICY DUMP ON YOUR FOREHEAD AND ON THIS CHILLY WEATHER YOU CAN ALSO COUNT IT AS STEAMY

Fucking artistic.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby Exodis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:26 am

Mir@k wrote:I TAKE AN ULTRA JUICY SHIT ON THAT FOLD OF YOUR SKIN THAT YOU MAKE IN YOUR FOREHEAD WHEN YOU ARC YOUR EYEBROWS IN SURPRISE AT ME TAKING A MASSIVE JUICY DUMP ON YOUR FOREHEAD AND ON THIS CHILLY WEATHER YOU CAN ALSO COUNT IT AS STEAMY

I agree.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Greatest Post To Ever Grace This Forum
Hail to the Savior

Postby Sentios » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:17 am

Asmodai wrote:Design, motherfucker, do you know it?

You know, art, pretty pictures, making information more visually appealing?

I don't have a problem with the designs, it's the that you said 7 out of 100 is more real than 7%, which is dumb.

Blood Archon wrote:So 93% of the world doesn't even have a calculator?

It means they thought too inside the box when they were running through their statistics. Perhaps 7% of the population has desktop computers/laptops but there are computers all over the world. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8194241.stm

Next

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens