General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Valhallen » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:20 am

Grey wrote:at least we can all agree that being drunk is better when you drink tasty things
And since reasonable social situations don't involve enough alcohol to get me drunk, I usually just go for tasty things, alcoholic or not.

Mr. Froggy wrote:Doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo. Doo, doo, doo doo, doo, doo, doo. Doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo. Doo doo doo, doooooooooooo doo. Doo doo doo, dooooooooooooooooo doo. Doo doo doo, dooooooooooooooooo doo. Doo doo doo, doo doo doo, doo. TEQUILA!
I can play that on trumpet.
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:34 am
Location: The Rotunda of Seclusion
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:42 am

Valhallen wrote:
Grey wrote:at least we can all agree that being drunk is better when you drink tasty things
And since reasonable social situations don't involve enough alcohol to get me drunk, I usually just go for tasty things, alcoholic or not.

Over here, if you're at a party and don't drink alcohol you're considered impolite. Unless you have some medical condition. lol
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12861
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Mathias » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:19 am

So glad I don't live there.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11862
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Fire up chips.
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Vegedus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:26 pm

Rival wrote:
Valhallen wrote:
Grey wrote:at least we can all agree that being drunk is better when you drink tasty things
And since reasonable social situations don't involve enough alcohol to get me drunk, I usually just go for tasty things, alcoholic or not.

Over here, if you're at a party and don't drink alcohol you're considered impolite. Unless you have some medical condition. lol

Heh, yeah, I don't get what "reasonable" means in this context at all.
Image
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10248
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: Denmark, at world's end
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:25 pm

On a different note, my free week is over. I'll start hating writing on the PC pretty soon.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12861
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby EagleMan » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 am

Mathias wrote:So glad I don't live there.

If you were raised there you probably wouldn't think that.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 13880
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:24 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Valhallen » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:43 am

Vegedus wrote:
Rival wrote:
Valhallen wrote:And since reasonable social situations don't involve enough alcohol to get me drunk, I usually just go for tasty things, alcoholic or not.
Over here, if you're at a party and don't drink alcohol you're considered impolite. Unless you have some medical condition. lol
Heh, yeah, I don't get what "reasonable" means in this context at all.
I've never noticed any effects at all from less than twenty units of alcohol / standard drinks, which is more than I'd expect to encounter outside a dangerously excessive frat party. Most social drinking I've seen typically involved more like two to five units unless people were intentionally seeking out or avoiding alcohol.
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2720
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:34 am
Location: The Rotunda of Seclusion
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm

Yeah 3-5 units can be considered normal here, too.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12861
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:04 am

So I've got most of the Zombie Game's rules done except for creating fortifications/safehouses and weapon modification rules in detail. Anyone still interested? It glosses over some aspects so it kind of assumes you know enough about P&P games to fill in the blanks.

Anyone know of a good, stable place to upload a PDF or something?
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:37 am

Yoshi wrote:Anyone know of a good, stable place to upload a PDF or something?

Dropbox.com and sendspace.com

Some people claim "mega" is awesome, but I think that's hype.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12861
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Mathias » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:41 am

EagleMan wrote:
Mathias wrote:So glad I don't live there.

If you were raised there you probably wouldn't think that.

So I would not hate the taste of alcohol?
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11862
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Fire up chips.
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:21 pm

that's like saying you hate the taste of meat

it's all different

plus you would've been acclimatised to it at an earlier age and no, you wouldn't hate the taste of alcohol
Image
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11168
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Vegedus » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:22 pm

Yoshi wrote:So I've got most of the Zombie Game's rules done except for creating fortifications/safehouses and weapon modification rules in detail. Anyone still interested? It glosses over some aspects so it kind of assumes you know enough about P&P games to fill in the blanks.

Anyone know of a good, stable place to upload a PDF or something?

Does it have any rules or structure that relates to "actual" roleplaying? You know, talking in character and such? Like, something that deals with creating a good story flow or interesting characters or whatever. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me.
Image
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10248
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: Denmark, at world's end
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Jasthn » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:51 pm

Vegedus wrote:
Yoshi wrote:So I've got most of the Zombie Game's rules done except for creating fortifications/safehouses and weapon modification rules in detail. Anyone still interested? It glosses over some aspects so it kind of assumes you know enough about P&P games to fill in the blanks.

Anyone know of a good, stable place to upload a PDF or something?

Does it have any rules or structure that relates to "actual" roleplaying? You know, talking in character and such? Like, something that deals with creating a good story flow or interesting characters or whatever. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me.


What is this all, exactly? A zombie game?
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4292
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 pm

Vegedus wrote:Does it have any rules or structure that relates to "actual" roleplaying? You know, talking in character and such? Like, something that deals with creating a good story flow or interesting characters or whatever. It's pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Haha nope. These are all strictly mechanical rules. It's designed, mechanically, as "baby's first RPG" basically. It assumes the GM will create the story and flesh out the bits. I tried, deliberately, to not write down how you should play it, because no two groups play a game the same way. I've been in groups where everything you say needs to be in character, unless you specifically pardon yourself. My usual group is the opposite, where you have to actually state you're speaking in character, otherwise heroes have a penchant for dick jokes.

I have written a scenario to go with it (Which my players completed with no casualties, but were damn close to wiping a few times) but it's very sparse in terms of specifics. It says stuff like (And remember, it's for the GM) "the players have been called to the camp leader for a mission of <x>" and it's up to the GM and players how fleshed out it is.

So I dunno, if you want something where every interaction is detailed in the handbook and there are rules on how stories should be made you should probably look elsewhere. The game itself was developed as a sandboxy, almost-no-story game. Short shit like "you need to get to the safe zone on the other side of the city!" then you throw in some NPCs (Some good, some useless) to spice it up, add a fort of looters blocking the final path, item management (There are rules for eating and the like). You know, whatever you want.

So yeah, specifically it's open ended as crap because I didn't want to tell anyone "THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY GAMES". It will be fleshed out with ideas or whatever, but it's never going to cover everything. Simple is the answer.

TL;DR NOPE

Oh, I am working on a more detailed sci-fi game that uses the same base system with more advanced rules and scenarios. So I dunno, check out Keep Calm and see if you like the mechanics?

Jasthn wrote:What is this all, exactly? A zombie game?

It's a pen and paper RPG system I've been working on. Mechanically it's simple as crap. Roll percentile dice to shoot/hit something, roll a d6 (Normal die) otherwise. Add modifiers as required. That's the whole gist of the game.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:48 pm

Double post! Links to the Player's Handbook and first Scenario are now live!

Player's Handbook
Scenario 1

Now, these are very rough at the moment. But I appreciate any feedback as long as it doesn't break the one rule I have: Keep the game simple. So I probably won't read a long essay about how I need to implement a mechanic that requires the use of anti-derivatives or something like that :P Anything else is fine though!

It'd be cool if someone else ran a game, possibly with the same scenario, to see how consistent the mechanics are.

On my to-do list:
- Finish fortification items and rules
- Flesh out the sandbox mode in terms of roll charts and the like
- ???
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Vegedus » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:38 am

Yoshi wrote:So yeah, specifically it's open ended as crap because I didn't want to tell anyone "THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY GAMES". It will be fleshed out with ideas or whatever, but it's never going to cover everything. Simple is the answer.

TL;DR NOPE

Fair enough. I'd argue though, that ever rule or mechanic you make is telling people "how you play games", or at the very least, this game. Mechanics tell how people play games, that's their purpose. I don't mean that just in overly literal, punditry manner either. Like, if you, say, have a rule that give out XP per zombie killed, then you're telling the players should kill lots of zombies. With that rule alone, you're saying a lot about how people should play the game. That can be as constricting as a rule that says you have to be in-character at all times.

But, anyway, you don't want that, cool cool. A different question, then: What makes your game fun? If the system doesn't mess with any standards of roleplaying, what does it do? Does it have any fun tactical play, or something like that? I couldn't really spot any when reading through it. It seems like you just make lots of checks, for all sorts stuff, which isn't especially exciting. I get that you want to make it simple, but I think for instance combat could have more options without adding much to the complexity, if done right. I get the sense that it's a rather boring case of "roll to attack, roll to attack" ad nauseam, like so many other systems. As someone who's played a decent lot of board games, I'd say you can make something tactically and fun, while being very simple, if you're smart about it.
Image
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10248
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: Denmark, at world's end
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:44 am

Vegedus wrote:But, anyway, you don't want that, cool cool. A different question, then: What makes your game fun? If the system doesn't mess with any standards of roleplaying, what does it do? Does it have any fun tactical play, or something like that? I couldn't really spot any when reading through it. It seems like you just make lots of checks, for all sorts stuff, which isn't especially exciting. I get that you want to make it simple, but I think for instance combat could have more options without adding much to the complexity, if done right. I get the sense that it's a rather boring case of "roll to attack, roll to attack" ad nauseam, like so many other systems. As someone who's played a decent lot of board games, I'd say you can make something tactically and fun, while being very simple, if you're smart about it.


Nah that's cool. It's not a serious project or anything so I'm good with questions and people ripping it apart.

The game itself is just a neat little zombie apocalypse simulator, or it was when it started. So it is (Was?) all about resource management and yeah, somewhat tactical combat. It's not especially deep because it wasn't designed as a full-on game. It's more something with used to wind down after a D&D session. The way my group plays is that we usually have a set of goals or objectives to achieve in a session, whether GM set or player set. This is just something we bust out when we're done but don't want to go home yet.

Like I said, originally it was a zombie simulator, and will be again. The rules are just for combat at the moment and the scenario provided is purely to introduce people to the mechanics without going all sandboxy. I originally had (Scrapped due to mechanics changing) a city map with zones marked out for looter and zombie severity which morphed over game time to show a "shift" in movement.

It basically boiled down to having a goal (create a community or escape to a certain area, or survive for <x> weeks) and seeing how well players survived in that approach. Combat is designed so players are pretty much rubbish to start, and even with a tonne of training still stand a chance to die very easily. Resource management is the name of the game, with bullets, bandages and rations being very sparse (They were originally rolled on an item chart). So there was the whole "we can avoid this area and save ammo and stuff, but it might have food in there... decisions".

The rules are very sparse, because I wrote them with my players in mind, and they're very used to doing stupid shit. It's not in the rules but one of my players found a grenade, promptly got the group to go to a workshop and found nails a sticky tape to turn it into a shrapnel grenade, which I ruled as doing damage to creatures in a wider burst. Shit like that.

In general, there's nothing special about this game. I'm not going to sit here and tell you that this game revolutionises RPGs, 'cause it doesn't. It's just a fun, stupid little simulator that I spent a couple days working on (Five minutes here, ten there sort of thing) and a few sessions testing out to make sure the numbers weren't stupid out. So uh, don't bother with it if you're expecting the next big thing to play.

It's better than Rifts though :P
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:04 am

Grey wrote:that's like saying you hate the taste of meat

it's all different

On that note, I love most poultry meat, and I dislike beef.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12861
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Rival wrote:
Grey wrote:that's like saying you hate the taste of meat

it's all different

On that note, I love most poultry meat, and I dislike beef.

I go with that a little, meaning I'd take chicken over beef.

I hate fish and sea food in general. I believe its because I've never had good seafood.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 19018
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 am

Blood Lord wrote:I go with that a little, meaning I'd take chicken over beef.

I hate fish and sea food in general. I believe its because I've never had good seafood.

I dislike most fish dishes too. Though herrings can be nice, especially around Christmas.

I almost never ate any other seafood, seafood other than fish is very uncommon in Eastern European cuisine, I only had the opportunity to try shrimps twice, and liked it. Lobster is so hyped I'd like to try it one day.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12861
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Mathias » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:06 am

Grey wrote:that's like saying you hate the taste of meat

it's all different

plus you would've been acclimatised to it at an earlier age and no, you wouldn't hate the taste of alcohol

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Alcohol is the same taste in every beverage, it's what they mix to complement it that gives it flavor. With every beverage I've had, I can only taste the awful alcohol and want to spit it out. The only drinks I can ingest are certain cinnamon schnapps with very low alcohol content.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11862
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Fire up chips.
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Jasthn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:27 pm

Yoshi wrote:Double post! Links to the Player's Handbook and first Scenario are now live!

Player's Handbook
Scenario 1


This seems pretty cool, actually. I assume the style of play is similar to that of Dungeons and Dragons? I've never personally played it, though I have seriously wanted to try it.

Onto the game itself, I'm on a time crunch (college student studying for several exams) and just read the beginning of both links, then skimmed the rest. The game itself seems, as you said, very simple. Easy to work with and easy to get going. I could only speculate that would make things more fun as people can start the game without too much of a problem. The scenarios seem to be well made as well. I'd actually like to try this out soon, to be honest.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 4292
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm
Location: Michigan
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:51 am

Jasthn wrote:This seems pretty cool, actually. I assume the style of play is similar to that of Dungeons and Dragons? I've never personally played it, though I have seriously wanted to try it.

Onto the game itself, I'm on a time crunch (college student studying for several exams) and just read the beginning of both links, then skimmed the rest. The game itself seems, as you said, very simple. Easy to work with and easy to get going. I could only speculate that would make things more fun as people can start the game without too much of a problem. The scenarios seem to be well made as well. I'd actually like to try this out soon, to be honest.

Thanks man! Yeah, it's pretty straight forward because it's designed to cope with a large amount of people playing without becoming like D&D where one person's turn can take twenty odd minutes. Most of the time comes from people trying to decide what to do, whether for their benefit or the team's. Once a plan is in motion the players take about ten seconds to enact their role. So yeah, pretty quick.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Joker-Undead » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm

I would to pose a question for you guys. What was the inspiration for your user-names?
The Bringer of the next Undead-War!!
Image
"Why so Serious?"
The Ultimate Undead-kaijin.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 am
Location: The Nullvoid
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest