My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Dibullba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:08 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:... Wait wait wait wait... Kusang... You... You do stuff for them? You did that? What?

WHAT IS THIS THAT YOU SPEAK OF?!

Yeah, some time ago he mentioned starting as an animator for them back in season 2. Good on ya Kusang (^_^)/)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:10 am

SSHHHH not so loud. But yeah, I worked on the S3.

Now if you can do me a favor, just don't go around telling about this. That or just don't mention my username. *wink. My studio's don't take kindly to their people mingling with the internets. You know, some bad stuff might happen he he.

@Dibulba: Thanks, it was fun learning how to animate in flash when what you're animating is your favorite show. You don't get chances like these on a fly. I was pretty fortunate.
Last edited by Kusang_Manalo on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:12 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:SSHHHH not so loud. But yeah, I worked on the S3.

Now if you can do me a favor, just don't go around telling about this. That or just don't mention my username. *wink. My studio's don't take kindly on animators mingling with the internets. You know, some bad stuff happen he he.

Way ahead of you on that buddy. I already know with how Hasbro has been recently it could be risky and unprofessional to the point you could get in trouble. Not even my closest friends will know.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 am

TOO LATE! Already all over tumblr :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

No, I'm just kidding. But I did blog about that Derpy winking. Seriously though... Kusang... I have so much respect for you T-T

Also, here's a song :3

"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:20 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:No, I'm just kidding. But I did blog about that Derpy winking. Seriously though... Kusang... I have so much respect for you T-T

Let the lulz begin.

I appreciate the praise, but I'm just one member of the whole team. I've met really awesome animators and learned a few tricks in flash from them. Geez, when you see them work... You guys saw that sequence where Twi's in an ethereal plane, right? That's the work of one guy. Damn, I can't even understand how he did that.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:25 am

He worked some fancy magic on that one. I was just awestruck with it. We need more of that o vo

Are you going to be working on S4 as well? and don't spoil anything if you answer that... I want everything to be a surprise if you are~
An Optimist

Postby J-Dude » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:29 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:I... I'm just feeling mighty fine right now! And my heart burst 3 times this day...

One was from just having an awesome day regardless, celebrating a super belated birthday with my pops and getting a
wad of cash out of left field, and 2 more times FROM THIS EPISODE ALONE! Even though the amount of songs sort of offput me by the slightest bit at first    the second Twilight burst into light and was transported to some ethereal plain and Celestia started to sing I melted 1000 times over in my seat...    It was just beautiful :'D And then my heart just couldn't stop feeling so many feels all the way through from there. Everything just clicked well. I was in awe...

Also, for the last part I saw quite a lot of notable background ponies pop up that were pretty cool. Most of all was    Lrya. Seriously, on more than one occasion near the end she was acting beyond joyful over everyone else.    And seeing some crystal ponies show up was nice of them to add too.

I'm still reeling, this episode got me so bad.

I've gotta admit something... I just spent the past 45 minutes crying. And I mean bawling my goddamn eyes out into a pillow, because all of a sudden "True True Friend" played in my head as a rogue thought struck me. I literally couldn't stop for the better part of an hour.

This episode feels like it was originally intended to end the entire series, and I'm guessing it was. And if it were, I feel like it couldn't possibly have resonated stronger.

Daniel Ingram is a fucking genius, because his music gave me the honest to Celestia chills here. The entire scene from Twilight vanishing to her grand transformation was some of the most beautiful combination of music, visuals and story I've ever seen. Celestia's song carries all the weight it should feel, in that Twilight's entire life has been leading up to this moment, and by extension, every moment we as the audience have spent with her (oh god, I'm gonna trigger the fucking tears again). Growing as we learn those things that make life really worth being lived. And all the flashback images showing everything from her conquests to her first encounter with Celestia as a filly, I mean, god...

And then the music of her ascension as Celestia's song ends... god, it's haunting in how beautiful it is. I LOVE it, and yet I'm also weirdly afraid of it, because it stirs emotions so powerful.   

And I've had no outlet for this, I've had this feeling welling inside me all day, and then suddenly thinking of a music queue from the credits makes it all explode.

And I keep asking myself, why? You're a 25 year old man, bawling like a child because of children's cartoon.

How is it that this, a story about a unicorn learning how to be a friend, can inspire such heartfelt reactions? Why do I care about a purple unicorn named Twilight Sparkle? And not just care, but am INVESTED.

Somewhere, on some deep wavelength that has psychologists drooling, this show has hit something, and hit it HARD. I can only assume that there's a paucity of SOMETHING in our society, something that we adults need, but isn't obvious or even considered that we need it.

The closest thing I can call it, is that we miss joy. As we get older, we leave the simple and the tender for bigger and more complex things. We don't do it consciously, we do it because that stuff wasn't written with a weathered and cynical adult in mind, and we outgrow it.

We replace it, with COOL stuff, AWESOME stuff. We replace it with intricate stories with moral grey areas, that speak to the intelligent and cynical adult mind.

But what MLP brought us, was something that COULD withstand the cold nerve of the adult, and be endearing. It brought us something we crave, but forgot we even hungered for it: Simple joy.

People say things made to be of a light mood or a "feel-good" piece are low quality and cheap, and cliche.

We forgot that joy was something we COULD still have, that we COULD watch something just to be happy, and still find ourselves invested after it all.

I don't know, maybe I'm talking out my ass, but I just feel like there's a center to all of this that everybody missed when asking how this brony thing got off the ground. I feel like it has to be simpler than some might think.

I wait for Season 4 as I never have before: DESPERATE for more of the magical land and the ponies I love... :'(
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Dibullba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:55 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:You guys saw that sequence where Twi's in an ethereal plane, right? That's the work of one guy. Damn, I can't even understand how he did that.

Actually does not surprise me with it being a professional. I mean have you seen the stuff that normal people in the fandom make? MmmandarinOrange created a similar thing in his most popular video for an ethereal plane and the memories for S1.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:00 am

@Mr. Sefrol: Just accuracy's sake, he did the character animations of Twilight and Celestia. The visual effects are done by the post production guys. Pretty neat still.

If you're asking about S4... I wish I could work on it. I'm on a different series right now. Hopefully, they can pull me out then have me work on S4. :<
Not-an-animator

Postby dj1107 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:12 am

Season 4 wishlist.
-New unicom character

-More of Rainbow at the Wonderbolt academy.

-The Cutiemark crusaders Manehatten branch

-Cadence becomes pregnant

-More Discord

-Rule 63 episode (I WILL GET NPH TO VOICE ELUSIVE DAMNIT!!)
&

-Seaponies
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:17 am

No, not the seaponies!

Could have been worse.... we could have a demonic centaur.

Dibulba: The power of After Effects, my friend, the power of After Effects.
Not-an-animator

Postby dj1107 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:27 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:No, not the seaponies!

Could have been worse.... we could have a demonic centaur.

Dibulba: The power of After Effects, my friend, the power of After Effects.

We need Seaponies. We need some Shoo-be-doo!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:39 am

@ Kusang: Well okay then. I'll be looking forward to the news of your working on S4 then :3 How far in advance do they start making new episodes for a season exactly?

Also, I'd like to see that "Flutterdragon" and Rarity & Tavi duet that was mentioned at the beginning of S3.

P.S. I sometimes enter a room saying "Shoo-be-doo!" for some odd reason... It's stuck in my head...
An Optimist

Postby dj1107 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:13 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:@ Kusang: Well okay then. I'll be looking forward to the news of your working on S4 then :3 How far in advance do they start making new episodes for a season exactly?

Also, I'd like to see that "Flutterdragon" and Rarity & Tavi duet that was mentioned at the beginning of S3.

P.S. I sometimes enter a room saying "Shoo-be-doo!" for some odd reason... It's stuck in my head...

You know what also gets stuck in your head? THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKVkH8dtWs

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:10 am

Oh you dirty little...

Anywho, here's a funny pic.

An Optimist

Postby punzil504 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:52 pm

J-Dude wrote:   Then when Celestia swoops down and says Twilight's a Princess, Pinkie Pie takes a moment to drink a glass of water, JUST so she can do a spit-take... THAT is FUNNY...   

I laughed even harder at that considering it happened right after all of the media hoopla about Marco Rubio's awkward Poland Springs moment following the State of the Union address.

Oh, and Twilight    also ponified Lou Gehrig's Luckiest Man speech.   

If this episode is going to be Derpy's last appearance, then she certainly went out in style.

Now I just have to re-watch the episode in HD, since I was forced to watch it on my phone...

Is the Equestria Girl spinoff supposed to be replacing what could have been the other 12 episodes of Season 3, or is it not starting until the summer?
Last edited by punzil504 on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby J-Dude » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:03 pm

punzil504 wrote:
J-Dude wrote:   Then when Celestia swoops down and says Twilight's a Princess, Pinkie Pie takes a moment to drink a glass of water, JUST so she can do a spit-take... THAT is FUNNY...   

I laughed even harder at that considering it happened right after all of the media hoopla about Marco Rubio's awkward Poland Springs moment following the State of the Union address.

If this episode is going to be Derpy's last appearance, then she certainly went out in style.

Now I just have to re-watch the episode in HD, since I was forced to watch it on my phone...

Is the Equestria Girl spinoff supposed to be replacing what could have been the other 12 episodes of Season 3, or is it not starting until the summer?

I thought it was coming in Spring, but could be wrong.

It'd help the wait, if it doesn't completely suck anyway...

Seriously though, this Equestria Girls thing had better have some loose tie to the actual series, like there's something they need to do or find in the human world but they need to keep incognito, all the while getting used to human customs and having different bodies. I'd watch the SHIT out of it if they go that direction.

The colored friggin skin makes me worry BAD though, because that's not exactly something you shrug off. If they really just make it an alternate Universe that's humans instead of ponies and it's high school bullshit, I'm gonna be pissed. I'll be pissed at the sloppy and awkward animation those character models look like they'd perform, I'll be pissed at the traditional schoolyard bullshit, and I'll be pissed that Tara, Tabitha or anyone else wastes their vocal talent on poorly written lines. It's painful enough when the Hub uses them alongside recycled pony animation to have a "conversation" with Miss America where Pinkie says "I like her!"

Seriously Hasbro, if you fuck up their characters and make a mockery of FIM with this thing, I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU! I WILL STAB YOU IN THE BRAIN!
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."

Postby Hiroko » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:14 pm

dj1107 wrote:You know what also gets stuck in your head? THIS! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLKVkH8dtWs

Welp, that's never getting out of my head now, thanks. =u=;
The Sentimental One

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:49 pm

J-Dude wrote:Seriously Hasbro, if you fuck up their characters and make a mockery of FIM with this thing, I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU! I WILL STAB YOU IN THE BRAIN!

Hasbro's response:

(I was going to use a pony one for that, but that one had me laughing to hard)

All joking aside (at least I hope you were joking about the head stabbing J-Dude) I actually do sort of agree with this just being some lame spinoff about high school, I've said it before that if they do this then they should at least be adults doing adult things instead of teenagers doing whatever Hasbro THINKS teenagers do. This could be a very uninspired cash in on the popularity of the show. But like I told someone on Deviantart who was trying to spread around a hate journal, I honestly don't care about this spinoff. I don't. I don't even intend to watch it as it stands now. My opinion may change in time, but for now I just don't have any interest in it.
I still only view it as something that will rear its head for a bit then go back down. And as for it being tied in the show I don't know for sure if that would be a good thing. What if it actually does suck? Wouldn't it be better if Hasbro could just sweep it under the rug and pretend it never happened? Its pretty obvious that I have low expectations of the Equestria Girls spinoff and don't get me wrong I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong, but this is one of those rare moments when my cynicism is popping up. Maybe me and other parts of the fandom are too quick to judge this and we should wait to see a trailer or something, but for now I'm not interested in it. I don't think its a great idea and we could do without it, but Hasbro is a company and their main goal is to make money and stuff like this is unavoidable sometimes. Hasbro has made some odd decisions in the past and this might be one of the ones that is doomed to fail from the start.
Again, I wouldn't mind to be proven wrong. Maybe this will actually be good. But I doubt it.

Anyways here's something cool:

Derpy knows just how to calm the angry Godzilla.
Bark

Postby J-Dude » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:47 pm

Nah, I was just aping something Spoony once said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... c4#t=1417s

And yeah, if this does suck, I'd rather it were easily ignored in the canon. I'm just saying for this show to even INTEREST me, it would have to be the actual ponies coming to another world and having human adventures. Elsewise, it just looks like a colossal waste of time, because I don't CARE about THESE in-name-only characters, I care about the ponies I've been with from the beginning. Sweeping all of that under the rug and transplanting these personalities into dull human personas so they can do dull human high school things is something I couldn't POSSIBLY be less interested.

It's the "Human in Equestria" angle that perks my ear, and what I'm hoping this is. Because I LOVE culture shock. I love time travel movies where people from WAY in the past get zapped into present day and marvel at high technology. I love the Avengers to DEATH for the fact that we have poor displaced Steve Rogers acclimating to 70 years of being out of the loop. Jesus, when we discovered that one isolated tribe that had never seen anything outside of their tiny village in the jungle, that footage had me freaking out, because it was a REAL example of what I loved to see in movies.

Hell, I WROTE a human in Equestria piece because the clash of our two worlds sounds endlessly fascinating.

So I'm cautiously hoping it becomes what I'd love to see, because this kind of thing doesn't typically happen, y'know? So if Hasbro squanders this chance, Ima be fuckin pissed off.

Postby Grieffon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:48 pm

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:23 pm

J-Dude wrote:And yeah, if this does suck, I'd rather it were easily ignored in the canon. I'm just saying for this show to even INTEREST me, it would have to be the actual ponies coming to another world and having human adventures. Elsewise, it just looks like a colossal waste of time, because I don't CARE about THESE in-name-only characters, I care about the ponies I've been with from the beginning. Sweeping all of that under the rug and transplanting these personalities into dull human personas so they can do dull human high school things is something I couldn't POSSIBLY be less interested.

It's the "Human in Equestria" angle that perks my ear, and what I'm hoping this is. Because I LOVE culture shock. I love time travel movies where people from WAY in the past get zapped into present day and marvel at high technology. I love the Avengers to DEATH for the fact that we have poor displaced Steve Rogers acclimating to 70 years of being out of the loop. Jesus, when we discovered that one isolated tribe that had never seen anything outside of their tiny village in the jungle, that footage had me freaking out, because it was a REAL example of what I loved to see in movies.

Hell, I WROTE a human in Equestria piece because the clash of our two worlds sounds endlessly fascinating.

So I'm cautiously hoping it becomes what I'd love to see, because this kind of thing doesn't typically happen, y'know? So if Hasbro squanders this chance, Ima be fuckin pissed off.

Pretty much everything you said here J-Dude. That's very much the reason I love HiE stories despite the reputation the genre has. I love the serious first contact stories like Article 2 and Thessalonica. I love they way stories like What Separates and the Conversion Bureau series, explore all the different facets of equestrian society and it's workings and how they compare to human society. I even love the way some brony in equestria stories like Why Am I Pinkie Pie and Brony International Guard explore those sorts of reactions. It can be so very damn delicious if done well.

I would love to see Equestria Girls go that route and take it's time letting the Mane Six get used to lives as humans and the differences in their respective societies. A whole damn arc could be devoted to just the girls dealing with the fact that humans don't have have cutie marks and that their special talents aren't just made plain to them as soon as they realize what it is.

I also realize that the spin off won't go there for the same reasons the show proper won't go into the deal behind AJ's parents, or Scootaloo not being able to fly. We can hope for grand adventure, but what sort of real adventure can you have in the modern human world? If they go with a more fantasyesque human world that's one thing but we can't be sure either way at this point.

At this point I am cautiously optimistic about the spin off. I'm not expecting much but hey, if it's good, it's good. If it's not, oh well. If it does end up bad I'll be a bit pissed off to, but for different reasons. From what I've been hearing the funding for what was supposed to be the second thirteen episodes of season 3 was shifted over to the production of this here spin off movie. Take that as you will.

In other news something totally awesome is going on with the Crisis team. We've been approached about turning the fic into a fill on radio play. Naturally we're all excited over here. :mrgreen:

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:45 pm

I CAN'T RESIST POSTING THIS!

An Optimist

Postby True Order » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 pm

Meh.

Also despite the hype prevalent in this thread I hold onto my previous opinion of whichFimFlam agrees with me on.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:57 pm

True Order wrote:Meh.

Also despite the hype prevalent in this thread I hold onto my previous opinion of whichFimFlam agrees with me on.

"I will summon the King in Yellow into your left ear"

Looks like I have a new threat to use!'

the video does bring up an interesting point; presumably, one of the early S4 episodes will have to be someone (probably Rainbow Dash) having to teach Twilight how to fly. It's a learned skill, so she wouldn't already know how. And I'm not sure how good a teacher Celestia, Luna, or Cadence would be, as they don't seem to actually use thier wings much (actually, I'm having difficulty remembering any examples of any of them flying under thier own power. I'm sure there are some, but none are coming to mind. Twilight probably has some experiance from the butterfly wing spell, but probably this is different.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)