RWBY July 24th

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

RWBY July 24th

Postby rac7d » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 pm

Has anyone here checked out the teaser trailers for the new animated web series Rwby. It looked awesome

I liked the teaser for white better, I love the elgant girl
Last edited by rac7d on Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Re: RWBY

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Can't wait for Black and Yellow

CAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS.
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:27 pm

That was actually some pretty well done cell shading and it was visually stunning to look at, especially in the opening of the first trailer with the red hood flowing the way it did and how great its color looked against the background. Its animation like this that compels me to get into an animation college so I can make something as well done as this.
This was a trailer that was really easy on the eyes and fun to watch.
I have little to no idea what they're doing with the story from this alone with the exception of the obvious Grim stories inspiration that's everywhere these days, but I'm not complaining. If the writing can match the pretty well done animation then this might get a good fallowing.
Bark

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:28 pm

I like Red better. RvB really caught my interest when they hired the guy that did Master Chief vs Samus to do the action scenes. Made them really neat, and I think this is the same guy.

Rosso Rose wrote:Can't wait for Black and Yellow

CAUSE YOU KNOW WHAT IT IS.

I got a version of it called Book of Mormon by OTM.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Dibullba » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:21 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:That was actually some pretty well done cell shading and it was visually stunning to look at, especially in the opening of the first trailer with the red hood flowing the way it did and how great its color looked against the background. Its animation like this that compels me to get into an animation college so I can make something as well done as this.
This was a trailer that was really easy on the eyes and fun to watch.
I have little to no idea what they're doing with the story from this alone with the exception of the obvious Grim stories inspiration that's everywhere these days, but I'm not complaining. If the writing can match the pretty well done animation then this might get a good fallowing.

The writers behind RvB with Monty Oum as a story adviser guarantees that it will likely be a great story. The story itself as Monty has stated will be the greater focus of the series even though the trailers may be misleading in this sense. Also to correct another thing, it is not cell shading. He did not go into depth of what it is, but essentially he said he applied a few filters to create the visual appearance. The animation to this would probably be more stunning in the time taken to do that compared to the appearance.

Postby Jasthn » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:13 am

I liked the Red trailer a lot as well. White was great as well, but I like the idea of a rifle scythe than a rapier. However, White's rapier raises a question for me. Given she can switch the "colors" of her sword, does that mean she can access every color of the rainbow, and if so, does this mean anything for Red, Black and Yellow?

I really want to see Yellow, though.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby Dibullba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Jasthn wrote:I liked the Red trailer a lot as well. White was great as well, but I like the idea of a rifle scythe than a rapier. However, White's rapier raises a question for me. Given she can switch the "colors" of her sword, does that mean she can access every color of the rainbow, and if so, does this mean anything for Red, Black and Yellow?

I really want to see Yellow, though.

Also keep in mind that Weiss can use rune magic by the looks of it in order to create a solid surface. So taking from that we can tell Ruby is a very physical and skilled fighter whereas Weiss is likely more of a magic user. With magic, she does not need to be as physical as Ruby. I will be interested in seeing what abilities the other two will have.

Postby Grieffon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 pm

I prefer White, the fight was more interesting.

It's probably just a coincedence, but when the rapier switched to red, the power was physical strength, which is apparently Ruby's (that's her name right?) skill. Perhaps Weiss can access the others' power, though to a lesser extent?

I never watched RvB. Is there something I should know to watch this?

Postby BeeAre » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:44 pm

Pronouncing it Rue-Bee. Almost Ruby, but with a heavy emphasis on the Rue.

I always liked that Oum guy.

Red is good and simple, and frankly I like any combination of rifle in a scythe. My personal favorite is the Anti-Vehicle Ammunition Scnyther Rifle. But this whole, jointed machine thing that lets the blade flex in a very robot-y way is nice. I was a bit hesitant when the first thing that happened was a rose petal flying by because I was about to go "oh what" wryly at the raw symbolism, but then I saw the interesting interposition of the petals being emanated from her cloak while observing a grave.

White seems to offer a lot of depth, though, especially with the whole mirror metaphor. The colors seemed crammed in there, like, there were too many on the wheel of the rapier guard in turning it. Points for consistency, and appreciate the simply ability to create a standing position in mid-air via whatever magic psychokinesis or technology is employing the maneuverability. Hits home that this character is very well-grounded, pulls you back to the mirror metaphor. The knight is strange. Very Fullmetal Alchemist.

The overall combination of ideas suggests a few things: Red Yellow Black White are the "Jesus Loves The Little Children", meant to encompass all humanity.

More obviously, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Red employed a very to-the-point attitude despite her completely impractical movements - an obviously intentional paradox to suggest that she is conflicted or off-balance, given her presence before a grave.

White approached things strictly from strategy, rather than being reliable in her tactics, and employed simpler movement but more careful selection when the movement was carried out, following the theme of poise, very important when fencing.

Black and Yellow predictions. I prophesy more expressive, with different movements. One will be completely erratic and uncontrolled, taking injury or at least making mistakes without care, the other will be lacking in forward thinking unintentionally, unlike the other. Weapons, at least ONE is going to dual-wield, that's obvious enough. Wondering if they'll do all the weapons as variations on the gunblade theme (though White's "gun" is move likened to a magic staff, you can just say she has different ammunition rounds to call upon). If they go all gunblade I will be disappointed. I am hoping for a weapon that relies on pounding and crushing. A big ole' wonkin' hammer, some of those short stick things, an actual staff of some sort, a mace, nun-chucks, something like that.

Looking forward to finding out whatever the fuck it ends up being, hope whatever it turns out to be is good.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Dibullba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:51 pm

Grieffon wrote:I prefer White, the fight was more interesting.

It's probably just a coincedence, but when the rapier switched to red, the power was physical strength, which is apparently Ruby's (that's her name right?) skill. Perhaps Weiss can access the others' power, though to a lesser extent?

I never watched RvB. Is there something I should know to watch this?

Only continuity thing you need to know is that it takes inspiration from the Grimm Brothers fairy tails. It has no connection to RvB. Red's name is indeed Ruby which is actually how you pronounce the series name (RWBY=Ruby). When the rapier used a red spell, it was not actually physical, but more of a barrier. Ruby does not actually have physical strength per say. She is definitely strong enough to carry the scythe, but she uses the recoil from the gun when putting it into motion. Also another interesting fact with White's full name being Weiss Schnee. Translated from German, it is White Snow.

BeeAre wrote:Black and Yellow predictions. I prophesy more expressive, with different movements. One will be completely erratic and uncontrolled, taking injury or at least making mistakes without care, the other will be lacking in forward thinking unintentionally, unlike the other. Weapons, at least ONE is going to dual-wield, that's obvious enough. Wondering if they'll do all the weapons as variations on the gunblade theme (though White's "gun" is move likened to a magic staff, you can just say she has different ammunition rounds to call upon). If they go all gunblade I will be disappointed. I am hoping for a weapon that relies on pounding and crushing. A big ole' wonkin' hammer, some of those short stick things, an actual staff of some sort, a mace, nun-chucks, something like that.

If you look at this image you can see it shows Ruby with the pole to her scythe and Weiss with her rapier at the bottom left. Black will obviously be using a whip which you would wonder what kind of ability she has with it. If I had to guess, she will likely be a beast tamer or summoner of sorts. Yellow however is completely shrouded in mystery as to what weapon, if any, she will have. I get the sense that she will be a fist fighter with like golden knuckles XD.

Edit: Here are the lyrics to the song in Ruby's preview. Which can further help with speculation to Black and Yellow (you know what it is.... god damn it)
Red like roses fills my dreams and brings me to the place you rest
White is cold and always yearning burdened by a royal test
Black the beast descends from shadows
Yellow beauty burns gold

Postby Jasthn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:17 am

It's probably just a coincedence, but when the rapier switched to red, the power was physical strength, which is apparently Ruby's

This is what I was trying to get at before. This is interesting to me, because now I wonder, "does she has easy access to yellow and black, or a variation of their powers"?

More obviously, the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

This makes a ton of sense, actually. I never thought about that.

Black and Yellow predictions. I prophesy more expressive, with different movements. One will be completely erratic and uncontrolled, taking injury or at least making mistakes without care, the other will be lacking in forward thinking unintentionally, unlike the other. Weapons, at least ONE is going to dual-wield, that's obvious enough. Wondering if they'll do all the weapons as variations on the gunblade theme (though White's "gun" is move likened to a magic staff, you can just say she has different ammunition rounds to call upon). If they go all gunblade I will be disappointed. I am hoping for a weapon that relies on pounding and crushing. A big ole' wonkin' hammer, some of those short stick things, an actual staff of some sort, a mace, nun-chucks, something like that.

I imagine Black will be the rampant one, after all she is referred to as a "beast" in the Red trailer.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.

That guy.

Postby rac7d » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:07 pm

I really like the analysis Beeare gave I feel like you already figured this whole thing out. I assuming the next chracter reveal will be in two months then again the. The premiere is July 4th. Hopefully they add a story trailer soon so we can have a guess of what's goin on in the world to. The beast theme for black has been a general accepted theory from the fans. I think she might be ae cat girl/ tamer be ukase of her whip and costume. Yellow is the most mysterious but she is believed to be the brawler of the group.

What I would like to figure out is the fairy tale connection for the last two girls.

Postby punzil504 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 pm

rac7d wrote:What I would like to figure out is the fairy tale connection for the last two girls.

Yellow could be Goldilocks and Black could be the Raven.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Grieffon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:42 pm

Jasthn wrote:
It's probably just a coincedence, but when the rapier switched to red, the power was physical strength, which is apparently Ruby's

This is what I was trying to get at before. This is interesting to me, because now I wonder, "does she has easy access to yellow and black, or a variation of their powers"?

Now I looked at it again, as Dilbulba said, it was more of a barrier than strength, though red is quite an odd color for that.

Her rapier seems to have the seven spectrum of light, as I'm sure there are at least red, yellow, blue, green and violet. At the end, all the color slots lighted up, the sword becomes white (light).

Postby Jasthn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:35 pm

I kind of imagined Black as Goldie Lockes, though I doubt that she would be a representation of her.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.

That guy.

Postby Witch Haru » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

the RWBY Wiki says many people believe Black is Belle of Beauty and The Beast and Yellow is Aurora of Sleeping Beauty

this makes a lot of sense really when you think about the song in the 1st trailer:
"Black the beast descends from shadows
Yellow beauty burns gold"
Art // Literature // Tumblr // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Tuor - Black lipstick must be messy
Yog - Stay strong, Haru
That chick from that place

Postby Slendy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:46 pm

Apparently Monty Oum stated that they have no connection whatsoever with any fairy tales, but I'm calling bull shit on that one. I think he's trying to say that this isn't Red Riding Hood and Snow White, they're different girls with different names. However, it's very obvious that he at least took inspiration from those two fairy tales for the character design here. That being said, it is possible that black and yellow could be completely original with no elements borrowed from a fairy tale. But given the trend with Ruby and Weiss, I highly doubt it.

So far, the two revealed characters have been based off of a character with the respective color in their name, Red Riding Hood and Snow White. This is why many people believe Goldilocks will be the basis for yellow. Something interesting I read though was that black could possibly be Cinderella, since cinders are like ashes and burnt things, which have a black color to them. Other than the name connection, though, I haven't seen any other compelling argument for Cinderella being the basis for black. Are there any other fairy tale characters we can think of that have a reference to the color black in their name?
Denizen of Darkness

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:31 am

That doesn't look like snow white to me.
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:44 am

Blood Lord wrote:That doesn't look like snow white to me.

No, but people make the connections between Snow WHITE and take that as the inspiration. When I first saw this I really didn't put it past me that it could be a connection. I mean, when you see Ruby, she does look similar to Red Riding Hood (Red being the key word), Snow White (again, White), so I imagined that if that was the possible pattern, Belle would be the next connection and Goldy Locks being the last. I really don't believe in this idea much, but it's fun to make the connections. Similar to LoZ, it's interesting to see what theories/ideas can be formed with the information at hand. Well, before Hyrule Historia that is.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.

That guy.

Postby Grieffon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 am

Those two are definitely references to fairy tales. Ruby wasn't just wearing a red hood, she was also fighting wolves (werewolves to be exact). Weiss' name can be translated into "White Snow", and her song "Mirror" is a reference to the "mirror mirror" line in Snow White.

Postby Dibullba » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:34 am

With the information we know based on the trend.
Black: Beauty and the Beast
Yellow: Rapunzel

Have to keep in mind that Monty is drawing inspiration from the Grimm Brothers and not something like Disney movies. That is why Rapunzel could be easily skipped.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:13 am

Jasthn wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:That doesn't look like snow white to me.

No, but people make the connections between Snow WHITE and take that as the inspiration. When I first saw this I really didn't put it past me that it could be a connection. I mean, when you see Ruby, she does look similar to Red Riding Hood (Red being the key word), Snow White (again, White), so I imagined that if that was the possible pattern, Belle would be the next connection and Goldy Locks being the last. I really don't believe in this idea much, but it's fun to make the connections. Similar to LoZ, it's interesting to see what theories/ideas can be formed with the information at hand. Well, before Hyrule Historia that is.

Indeed, but if you are going after their color being in their name, the Belle strikes out of that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:24 am

Which ends up being the problem. However, Belle's connection to a beast still brings up an idea. Like I said, though, it's not like I'm a firm believer of this idea. Personally, I just like hearing about the different ideas.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.

That guy.

Postby punzil504 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:23 pm

punzil504 wrote:Yellow could be Goldilocks and Black could be the Raven.

The Raven that I was alluding to is the Grimm Fairy tale, not the Teen Titan or Poe Poem. Rather obscure compared to the other three, but it gives you your black haired princess.

Cinderella as black could be interesting, too. From the ashes...
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Jasthn wrote:Which ends up being the problem. However, Belle's connection to a beast still brings up an idea. Like I said, though, it's not like I'm a firm believer of this idea. Personally, I just like hearing about the different ideas.

Agreed.

punzil504 wrote:The Raven that I was alluding to is the Grimm Fairy tale, not the Teen Titan or Poe Poem. Rather obscure compared to the other three, but it gives you your black haired princess.

Cinderella as black could be interesting, too. From the ashes...

Nevermore.

I think the Grimm Brother's is a better source of identifying who and/or what source of inspiration than Disney. If you can catch what I did there, I will be impressed.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)