RuneScape 2007: The Revival

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

RuneScape 2007: The Revival

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:18 pm

The Article:
http://services.runescape.com/m=news/20 ... e-you-vote
The Poll (members only):
http://services.runescape.com/m=poll/rs2007-server

Go ahead. Spit at me, tease me, for liking RuneScape. But when I was a kid still, I was first introduced to this game and just looking at it I thought it was interesting. But I didn't know anything in the game that would define the word 'interesting'. It's just that as I played through it I began to experience myself being in an open world for the first time. As a matter of fact, this was the first MMO game I've ever played, not WoW, RuneScape. People may tease you today for playing it but damn, I was one of many kids of the RuneScape generation up to 2007 that played this version of the game and I have more love for this than the main RuneScape.

But recently, it was announced by Mod Gerhard that they actually managed to recover the game, a snapshot of it from August 2007. And I mean everything. Why am I making this thread? It's not just because of my love for RuneScape, it's my love for THIS RuneScape. There was something about the new RuneScape that didn't feel right to me. The same goes for many games of the current generation. I don't feel that love I had for games like RuneScape towards the newer games made today; I don't have as much games as you guys have, and because of that, I can't even join in on discussions about Saints Row or GTA; those also aren't my types of games but I acknowledge GTA. There's probably also DarkSiders or any other game I've probably forgot about, but really, I just don't have love for the new games made today. Hell even DmC Devil May Cry doesn't get that kind of love either, it may be a good reboot, although not the best, but like many games of their own respective franchises, it can't match up to the quality of the games that preceded it.

The same goes for the main RuneScape; to me, it can't match up to the quality of it's predecessor, which labeled at the time as "RuneScape 2" since previously, the game, now known as "RuneScape Classic", looked a whole lot different and played different too. This main RuneScape plays on a newer version of the RuneTek engine it plays on; many things have changed on it but that's not the point I'm trying to make. When I play the main RuneScape, it felt like a let down. Everything about it looked good, but it didn't play as good. Hell, If you ask me, I'd rather watch all the cutscenes and gameplay for Halo 4's Spartan Ops than actually buy the game. Forge was a letdown in that one too.

So yeah, that's all I have to share. I'm am quite dissatisfied with developers today, and especially disappointed...I find the Gaming Industry to be nothing but a monopoly; you got Nexon cash cowing their games, RuneScape being bought and thus their quality going down just because of the desire for money...what else...oh yeah, Crapcom's games and that on-disc DLC scandal that happened before, gosh this is really disappointing...by the way, this is a bit off topic, but is there anyone in Snafu who makes games? And what's your perspective on video games today?
"Where we are, there’s daggers in men’s smiles."
KR Series Finished: Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, OOO, Fourze, Wizard
Reset. Recalibrate.

Re: RuneScape 2007: The Revival

Postby Creppy Eggy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:34 pm

Man, I haven't played Runescape in ages. I think the last time I played was in 2011... or 2010. Man was it fun.

Edit: So I just logged in to my account. Nostalgia has finally initiated!I'm a level 57, and I'm a non-membership player, which explains why i quitted playing: just leveling up, with no quests to do... got boring over time. Yeah, I'm not playin' this... I'm gonna get addicted to it again.
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:33 pm

Ah, so it's addiction you're concerned about. I played around 2011 because of the Dungeoneering feature. I haven't had that much fun playing it in forever.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Guardian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:52 am

I play Runescape in waves. There will be a time when I'm dying to play it and will, and another when I could care less. I started playing it back in... I think 2002 or 2003. Can't remember, but I was in middle school, 6th grade I think.

Did it change when I wasn't looking or something? Because I'm always down for better looking graphics.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans

Postby Creppy Eggy » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:51 am

The first time I played it was in '07! It's been that long...
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.

Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo

Postby nobody » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:47 am

Well I played around 2006 and I played a lot if but the game was really really restricted till the level of pain when I looked at the payed stuff, though I left when I got the top level gear at the time and then got hacked and lost it all
Nowhere man please listen.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:36 pm

Wow, I'm really sorry nobody.

Blood Lord wrote:Did it change when I wasn't looking or something? Because I'm always down for better looking graphics.

Well, it still looks watered down, but the RuneTek engine has done wonders to the game's looks. Although I don't support the new direction the art is going, I'm hoping that it doesn't hinder too many players because of the graphics. They have a DirectX, OpenGL and Software graphics feature now so the water is great, a texture feature where many details are added to the landscape, fullscreen for members, a revised interface, smoother animations, loading screens...oh shit the combat system changed.

Ooh, also they implemented voice acting for the first time in one of their members quests a few months back. I thought it was excellent.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Guardian » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:53 pm

Wow. Talk about a pain in the ass to recover your account.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

Semper Vigilans

Postby Jasthn » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:03 am

I heard about this yesterday, actually. As Blood said before, I also play in waves. But if they do RuneScape classic, I'd buy a one month membership for sure and play it for the nostalgic effect.

Hell, maybe I'll just play it for the fun when Summer break comes around.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby Slendy » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:20 am

I've been playing RuneScape since 2004 when I was in middle school. I played it quite frequently up until college, and then I've been through on and off times. I actually became a player moderator in the game for a few years, but I had my account hijacked last June (logged into the game on an unsecure wifi... oops) and Jagex took my mod powers away because it was considered a breach in security. :unsure: Most of my friends quit playing long ago, though, so it can get pretty lonely.

As for the old school servers, I'm glad they'll be coming back. I voted and I'm hoping it gets over 500k votes so I don't have to pay additional membership fees, otherwise I doubt I'll play them. The main allure for them is the old style of pvp and the huge wars with clans. Other than the simpler combat and nostalgia factor, though, I'll prefer to play on the 2013 game (and RuneScape 3 when that comes out) than the old school servers. It's like going back and playing GoldenEye 007 for N64. You'll get some nice nostalgia from it but pretty soon you'll miss the hd graphics and smoother controls that you're used to in games today.
Denizen of Darkness

Postby Guardian » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Ahh, GoldenEye for the N64. the Halo before there was a Halo. I remember spending weeks on it with my cousin, so much fun. We tried playing it for old times sake a few months ago, and neither of us could remember how to function the joystick and movements correctly. We'd gotten too use to the double sticks of the current platforms.

Semper Vigilans

Postby Wulfespinndel » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:52 pm

I just use the C buttons to move and the joystick to look around. I didn't like Honey so I used Solitaire instead.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Postby Maru » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:59 pm

So in short, it's better looking? Hm. I'll have to check it out sometime. I remember trying to up my magic last I played..
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Manly Crust Breather

Postby Jasthn » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:34 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Ahh, GoldenEye for the N64. the Halo before there was a Halo. I remember spending weeks on it with my cousin, so much fun. We tried playing it for old times sake a few months ago, and neither of us could remember how to function the joystick and movements correctly. We'd gotten too use to the double sticks of the current platforms.

Sicne I brought my N64 to college with me, my buddies and I have just been playing that. My roommate brought in Golden Eye and we've been having a blast. I remember we had a karate chopping match, giving everyone the old one-two. I miss the classics.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby Wulfespinndel » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:16 am

Ok guys given the fact that voting is ending this Friday exactly at midnight, and the votes have settled at 250K+ votes, it looks like we'll be getting an additional $5 membership fee, basic maintenance, and anti-bot and gold farm possibilities.

This wasn't very overwhelming of a demand, but I love that there are still players out there that have been sticking with Jagex to the end right up to the creation of this poll. It may be two days early to determine the outcome, but I doubt there will be anyone else that will be voting anymore now that things have settled down.

So currently, players who have voted in the poll had early access a few days ago. By Friday, it seems that it may be a members-exclusive game from what I've read from the site.
Reset. Recalibrate.

Return to Snafu Gaming