My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:55 am

A comic dealing with inconsistencies

Linked since it might slow down some people.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 am

This episode was actually written back more than a year ago, when Lauren Faust was still on the show. In other words,   Twilight becoming a princess was planned from the beginning (having a crown for the element instead of a necklace), the only change is that she becomes an alicorn in the process   , so there shouldn't be any problem in the quality of the episode. In fact, they have planned even further than that.

With that said, enjoy the episode

Stream link

Postby Dibullba » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:02 am

The hatred is strong in this vid

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:53 am

I-I can't... I can't--

Has anyone seen this?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby punzil504 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

punzil504 wrote:On the wiki, it mentions that one of the storyboard editors "used what little power she had" to make sure her favorite background pony would make an appearance in Episode 13.

Considering the broken base over potential events in that episode, perhaps they were able to throw the bronies a bone and have an honest to goodness Derpy sighting in the finale. The ones this season were questionable.

It looks like her favorite background pony turned out to be    DJ PON3   , but I'm 99% positive that I spotted Derpy in the crowd near the end.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:12 am

punzil504 wrote:
punzil504 wrote:On the wiki, it mentions that one of the storyboard editors "used what little power she had" to make sure her favorite background pony would make an appearance in Episode 13.

Considering the broken base over potential events in that episode, perhaps they were able to throw the bronies a bone and have an honest to goodness Derpy sighting in the finale. The ones this season were questionable.

It looks like her favorite background pony turned out to be    DJ PON3   , but I'm 99% positive that I spotted Derpy in the crowd near the end.

Eeyup

I'M SO MUCH IN AWE WITH THE EPISODE.

Postby Maru » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:44 am

I missed the first part, but I think this was pretty nice... Seriously not what I expected...

Especially not the Goddess of the Sun SINGING Twilight into princess-hood. And the song before that felt good too (except Pinkie's talent fix was pretty lame; it felt like, Element of Laughter: THE RIDE!). The whole chorus of 'IT'S FINE, IT'S FINE' was just dumb to me, though...   
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Manly Crust Breather

Postby Biostar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I, for one, welcome our new alicorn overlord. Hopefully the writing staff will know how to play it off next season.

This certainly was a musical. Celestia finally got a song. And with that, I got bingo!

That last song felt like it was tempting fate with the "everything is fine!", that I was expecting some kind of villain reveal at the end but nope.

Pacing felt a bit quick but given the comment from McCarthy, it'll probably be an arc.

Just hope the wait isn't too long.   

Postby Grieffon » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:32 pm

Postby J-Dude » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:18 pm

Oooh!!!~

Oh, the feels! The friggin feels!

Wow, stuck with 22 minutes and they somehow give us one of the most packed and momentous episodes ever.

The musical nature of the episode was amazing, and while not ALL hits, there were plenty of great ones.

The cure was a little fast to figure out, but time constraints, what can you do. They still got the points across well.

Haha, I love when the Elements beam Twilight, and for that moment she sits there and closes her eyes in defeat like she's going to be vaporized. And then of course, she's gone with just a black smudge on the Library floor, and Fluttershy lets out the most appropriate horrified scream XD

And then... my face went slack. Twilight finds herself in this ethereal plane surrounded by motes of light, and the music has gone soft and reverent. The beauty of it struck me instantly.

And then Celestia arrives in the void, saying how proud she is, and a piano melody gently begins. Images of Twilight's past crop up in an astral highway, and Celestia sings a gentle and tear-inducing song about how far she's come, and how she'll finally achieve her destiny.

And then, still rather confused, Twilight is taken up by a ribbon of magic and vanishes, reappearing outside the Library in Ponyville, transformed at last.

For all this buildup, and such a MAJOR character moment, this was the kind of thematic payoff I was hoping for. The mood, the music, the visuals! It's striking and gorgeous.

The rest of the episode is basically just the coronation and stuff. Celestia doesn't explain much about her role as a Princess, just that they can leave that for another time, and... fair enough, leave some stuff for this 2nd and 3rd part we've been told about.

For the 2nd finale in a row we get to see proud Mama and Papa Sparkle crying with pride as one of their children ascends to royalty, lol. Third time and they'll probably get a free Sundae...

Rarity reacts to the initial transformation by canonizing the word "alicorn" in terms more specific than Trixie's amulet, just before Pinkie swings by (somehow) declaring "ALICORN PARTY!"

Then when Celestia swoops down and says Twilight's a Princess, Pinkie takes a moment to drink a glass of water, JUST so she can do a spit-take... THAT is FUNNY...

And we get a speech from Twilight that ensures what should be obvious, that her friends are to thank for her coming to what she is now, and that they'll never part. I especially like that Twilight rides that royal cart at first, but when she reaches her friends further down, she hops off and joins them parading down the street. Fuck yeah, solidarity!

And it ends on a somewhat lame note, with a zoomout from Canterlot, and Twilight giving a final line as she barrel rolls through the sky and dive-bombs the camera into the credits... That bit is a tad conventional, and is also the first time we see her flying, which begs the question of whether it took her ANY tips or adjustments to learn how to fly.

Still, this was a MARVEL of an episode that could have gone wrong in so many ways. It exceeded my expectations, and for the first time, I'm PAINFULL hyped for the next season, what with the TV movie in the works (acting as the 2nd and 3rd part?) and a full season ahead of us in which to explore what all of this means for Twilight and her friends.

Plus, I get the feeling we're getting a new intro ;-)

My only fear at this juncture is that the backlash from the inevitable whiners will be so extreme that Hasbro or the creators will opt to retcon the entire thing. Here's hoping that our beloved writers stand by their decisions, and that Hasbro is determinedly greedy enough to ignore it. Rarely is THAT a saving grace.   

AHHHH fuck, I need to blow off all this excitement!
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby sinistra-sundown » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:27 pm

This episode made me shed liquid pride!

Aside from that, I can't wait to see the first two episodes of season 4, which supposedly are kind of a continue of this episode, as far as I undrstood that.

I hope I won't die of impatience till then. D:

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:42 pm

Random thoughts on the episode:

First off with no hate at all directed at it I thought it was kind of underwhelming and the over abundance of songs felt like padding. They say its going to be a three parter, but at least give us something. I never thought I would be complaining about a lack of a cliffhanger ending. I get the feeling they weren't even expecting to have a 4th season so they thought to end the series here, but look at that they just got funding for another season! But they already got a lot of the animation done so... lets work with what we got.

Twilights say things will be fine a lot in this episode... Armed with the knowledge that this is really a three parter I was expecting some evil s.o.b to show up in the end. Well... since Twilight is an    Alicron    now where can the show go from here? How about an apocalyptic demon come from the deepest depths of Tartarus to bring about the end of the world as we know it!? ... It could happen. Considering our main character is now possibly OP as buck it could work.

My thoughts on the    Character Cutie Mark Crossover:   
(Keep in mind I'm kind of joking here so if I say something that seems weird or ranty don't freak out)
Rainbow Dash: She can take down Starscream, face down a dragon and all manner of creatures, but put her up against a    hord of cute woodland critters and now we got a problem.   

Also Celestia's plan was    to mismatch the wielder of the most power weapons known to pony kind cutie mark and possibly bring about the end of days to teach Twilight a lesson? Are you kidding me you psycho OP deus ex machina nut job!? And no I'm not kidding they would have destroyed Ponyville, apparently without Pinkie around the residents were a hair away from a riot, Rarity was bringing on chaotic weather, Fluttershy is the only thing keeping the animals from going on a hunger induced rampage, Pinkie Pie would have brought on an apple famine, and no one would buy from AJ's store and the ponies would all run around naked all the time... okay, never mind that last one. I got to say its a good thing Twiliht is a new Alicorn because if Celestia is all they got then Equestria is screwed.    Celestia probably turned Twilight into an    Alicorn    so she could get out of doing even more of her duties, not that she ever did anything in the first place. Her plan to get rid of a dragon is to send a group of young adults with no official combat training (with the exception of Rainbow Dash because as we know, she is a black belt) to go ask it to leave when we all know she could just teleport it away. But I digress...

Pinkie pie: You know what, I did a whole pony rant comic about Pinkie talking about the hair down/Pinkamena thing so I'm not even gonna do any of those jokes.

Also real quick this image is definitely going to be taken out of context: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... -40#t=676s

A part I found funny for the wrong reason was when Twilight fixed everything an the elements    zapped her and sent her to that trippy outer space place    all I could think of while Celestia was singing was the Spike and the girls back in the real world going,    "OH MY GOD! We killed her! We killed her! We're so screwed! Oh Twilight why! No it can't be like this!" and then she shows back up and they're all relieved as shit.   

And then we have this:
Applejack says: "I've never seen anything like this," unless you count Celestia, Luna, and Cadence. AJ, you've seen this before. Its okay though, I won't hold it against you.

As for the episode in general:
Again it was underwhelming.    They just turned the main character into an Alicorn    and they treated it like it was a filler episode. The other two parts to this better be really good. They like to introduce new villains at the beginning of each season and sometimes at the end so lets hope that one badass mother bucker shows up.
Lets see some epic story lines now, the show has the perfect setting for that and it has some of the best world building, the only other new show that comes close to its world building is Adventure Time and even though that Jake the Dad episode was a total fucking copout, they still bring out the occasional epic. Lets see something big happen in the next season. You can still do a few slice of life episodes, but come on and show us what you can really do with this IP.
And no, creating epic adventures will not get in the way of this being a show that girls can relate to. Girls are allowed to go on epic adventures in media and kick ass.
The stories don't have to be complicated, the Advengers had a basic "Ass-hole wants to take over the world" plot and it was a great movie.
Bring on the awesome MLP: FIM team.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Few minor notes of my own

1. Looks like whoever said the elements change form with the ponies who wear them was right. I'm not 100% sure but I think for a short time when the Element of Honesty went around AJ's neck, the apple was pink/purple, not orange (i.e. closer to pinkies color than AJ's

On the Subject of AJ and clothes, was I the only one who saw her coronation outfit and though "bicentennial" (actually just centennial, since it looked more like an 1876 interpretation of patriotic colonialisn than a 1976 one) Red white and blue (as opposed to the red green and brown she normally has gotten in fancy clothes) lots of stripes and (I think) stars, a friggin' tricorn hat with a plume (fun thought, since it's a big feather, and a white one, wouldn't it be amusing if it was actually one of Celestia's herself (she presumably sheds them from time to time, so it might be. Though probably not, it does look more ostrich-y" looked pretty good on her, but I wonder if it is exactly appropriate for a celebration of a friend ascending to the ranks of royalty   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:02 pm

Here's a petirip animation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWIJPe912ic

People say that this is actually better than the season finally and even though I do like petirip's and friend's animations I'm aware that they're basically a parody of the show itself and their fan made so we expect less from them.
That being said, the My Little Dashie parody was a masterpiece.
I will fight with you that it was better than Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla (but secretly its Rainbow Factory).

Another thing I find kind of funny was after they finished My Little Dashie EQD was praising them for it when they had to fight that hard to get even one of their animations on the site which is why Captain Hook the Biker Gorilla got its name. Weird how popularity can change someone's opinion of you isn't it. I did like how they took a very obvious stab at EQD at the beginning of that video though.
Bark

Postby Saint Soul » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 pm

This episode was amazing.

I got liquid joy too.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby J-Dude » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:46 pm

So now that I've had time to kinda bask and think, I've been pondering a few things.

I agree, the things that ultimately triggers Twilight's alicorn preparedness is her finishing Starswirl's ever unresolved masterpieces in a bolt of friendship-derived inspiration.

And sure, she's created new magic, proven she's got what it takes, but... what does the spell do? Transport her to the ethereal plane? We know it's a big deal, but we never get told what she just did for sure. Maybe that will be explained?

Also, is Twilight really such a friendship prodigy that she could figure this out when Starswirl couldn't? I mean, Starswirl was a FAMED unicorn, the Merlin of Equestria. If friendship is magic, wouldn't he be an expert?

And for that matter, Starswirl created NUMEROUS spells in his time. Was he a Prince too? Was he a ruler in his time alongside Princess Platinum, and we've just never been told that? His costume certainly doesn't look like royal wear, even for THAT time. I know we've seen two Princes by now, and neither of them are alicorns. Could it just be that all alicorns are female? It'd certainly mesh with the matriarchal taco-fest Equestria tends to be as a rule. Not sure how PC that would be in terms of what it tells little girls though.

Well, there's certainly room for these things to be explained, with a careful hand. Undoubtedly as Twilight learns to perform and actively performs her royal duties, we'll finally see some insight into alicorn-ness. Maybe that spell Twilight perfected will have some immediate use outside of launching her to the space between spaces to join the Equestria Princess Country Club.

Oh shit, I just had a thought. Maybe that spell opens a gateway to other worlds? Maybe this is how they'll kick off the Equestria Girls thing? If they don't fuck it up of course...   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Dibullba » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:11 pm

Having watched the episode, it is easy to say what is positive and negative about the episode.
   It had a lot of songs which is always welcome. Ingram does not disappoint in this aspect. The negative to this is do to the length of the episodes, I am sure the full potential of the songs had been cut to meet the limitation. This would have been much better as a two parter with Twilight being blasted to oblivion as a cliffhanger. Despite that fact, they packed this single episode with as much of the best things they could have with the time constraint. So the stand out problem with the episode is simply time constraint and fast pace.   

So with that said, this episode has helped me to understand the approach of S3. I have this habit to analyze things further than probably necessary, but each season has some sort of group approach. S1 was of course introductory in getting to know the characters and basic points to friendship. S2 expands on S1 by delving into personal character flaws to overcome (such as Twilight's scheduling and ocd, Luna's capability to interact with others, and Fluttershy finding a balance in confidence and assertiveness). So S3 in a way is the end to this "book" so to speak. It aimed to tie up loose ends that was brought about in the prior two seasons. Cadance is now princess of the crystal kingdom, Trixie returned and in the end made amends, Scootaloo is now technically RD's sister, RD has officially progressed to training to be a Wonderbolt, Applejack's parents revealed to be dead and got a song, Discord converted to good to not be completely dropped as a favorite character, an episode set up to create a possible focus point in season 4 with the Equestria Games, and lastly    Twilight finally progressing to an alicorn to create a different approach in learning friendship   .

I am quite eager to see what S4 will bring since this will be a new beginning to the series.

Postby dj1107 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:35 pm

There was 2 things wrong with this episode. 1. They seem to forget how Rarity's & RD's cutiemarks work. & 2. it was abit rushed. Other then that good season finale not as awesome as Royal wedding & not as funny as GGG. Overall season 3 was just mixed for me we had an ok premiere & an ok finale, we had some good episodes few mediocre ones & 1 god awful one. The overall feel of the season was "change" with generally alot of things that'll have a permanent stay in the show. Sure season 2 had some of those but they were few & far inbetween. In terms of character development the ones who got it the most were Twilight, Fluttershy, & Rainbow Dash. Now I must return to my Odinsleep until season 4 comes out. At least we have the comics to keep us company.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:16 pm

Dibullba wrote:   Twilight finally progressing to an alicorn to create a different approach in learning friendship   .

I am quite eager to see what S4 will bring since this will be a new beginning to the series.

Your comment actually brings up an interesting possibility That    Twilight's challenge of S4 won't so much be to learn new lessons of friendship but to avoid UNLEARNING the ones she learned up to now.   . Up till now    Twilight has been more or less an equal to the other ponies (whether or not she was nobility, she never acted like she was). Now however, with her crowning and alicornation, she outranks the rest of the mane six by a great deal (along with nearly all of the rest of Equestria). Heck Celestia herself, said that now they ponies (including herself) will be learning lessons from her as much as she is from them. How long will the lessons she has learned up till now hold under all that power. Will she be able to hold who she is in the face of suddenly being able to literally tell everyone what to do and get away with it.m Power can corrupt even Alicorns, Luna is walking evidence of that.   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:16 am

It did feel rushed, like every episode, but less rushed than others. The details were amazing, and so were the animation. The Twilight Zone scene was beautiful.

The story was surprisingly well done. You can feel the emotions of each character, the disappointment of the mane 6, Twilight's regret for messing up their destinies, and their feeling of belonging in the right place when everything is fixed. Ironically, contrary to speculations, the alicorn bit was the part that felt natural, while the princess coronation was the part that seemed forced.

The songs and the music was just amazing, especially the third song (what genre is it supposed to be called?). This is the first musical episode, and yet each song told the story perfectly, and aided the emotions from the story and animation.

As a bonus, we got the best Derpy scene since The Last Roundup

Yes, she was winking at the audience. We really need to thank Sibsy for that.

Visuals: 10/10
Music: 15/10
Story: 8/10
Fan service: 11/10

For 22 minutes, there couldn't be a better episode.

Postby Dibullba » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:51 am

Grieffon wrote:For 22 minutes, there couldn't be a better episode.

Lesson Zero >.> what do I win?

Postby dj1107 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:59 am

Now I wonder if they'll introduce a new unicom character to help balance out the pony-types in the show. If it's Trixie I'm quitting the show all together. The reason is simple we don't need some other boastful & dramatic unicom thats what Rarity is for. Now introducing a new main character may hurt but she'll/he'll gell within a few episodes.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:07 am

I... I'm just feeling mighty fine right now! And my heart burst 3 times this day...

One was from just having an awesome day regardless, celebrating a super belated birthday with my pops and getting a
wad of cash out of left field, and 2 more times FROM THIS EPISODE ALONE! Even though the amount of songs sort of offput me by the slightest bit at first    the second Twilight burst into light and was transported to some ethereal plain and Celestia started to sing I melted 1000 times over in my seat...    It was just beautiful :'D And then my heart just couldn't stop feeling so many feels all the way through from there. Everything just clicked well. I was in awe...

Also, for the last part I saw quite a lot of notable background ponies pop up that were pretty cool. Most of all was    Lrya. Seriously, on more than one occasion near the end she was acting beyond joyful over everyone else.    And seeing some crystal ponies show up was nice of them to add too.
An Optimist

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:23 am

Grieffon wrote:
As a bonus, we got the best Derpy scene since The Last Roundup

Yes, she was winking at the audience. We really need to thank Sibsy for that.

Maaaan, I thought I hid that pretty well. Props for spotting that one. :D

For the record, Sibsy does not indicate the easter eggs in her storyboards. Some animators are just too stubborn. *wink *wink.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:54 am

... Wait wait wait wait... Kusang... You... You do stuff for them? You did that? What?

WHAT IS THIS THAT YOU SPEAK OF?!
An Optimist

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)