My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:18 pm

Stuff like that is to be expected when something gets really popular. Companies try to cash in on it with varying results. I doubt this will last long as well and it may not be much more than a simple one shot.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:27 pm

@mad-mutt
In the magazine it said it will be a series.

They have Trixie too.

Postby J-Dude » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:44 pm

Huh...

I'll admit, not sure what I think of the designs, mainly because the colored skin feels weird...

What DOES interest me is that this might be the first example of official art telling anyone how big humans are to ponies. If this image is the be believed, it's pretty much what I've been going off of, so cool :-)

As to the show itself... Hmm... I really hope it doesn't put them all in high school, or at least acknowledges the maturity of the characters enough to have them in COLLEGE.

Will admit, I'd at LEAST watch the first few episodes to learn how it happens and see all the human/pony culture shock. I'm glad it's being treated as an alternate series and doesn't necessarily have anything to do with FIM, because it has the potential to immediately buttfuck every HiE premise EVER. Being able to safely disregard it would be useful to those who wouldn't necessarily accept it, and offer still more avenues of fanfiction for those who DO.

But if it just ends up being a silly "humanverse" where the characters get "humorously" swapped in without any real mention of ponies, then i call LAME.

For now, I'll just say I'll give it it's due opportunity and hope it doesn't take away from the creators being able to make FIM as good as it is.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Grieffon wrote:So this has been floating around for a few days

Rumored to be the coming MLP movie that is "aimed for teenage girls". While there's no legitimate source for it, it does look believable, especially with Hasbro's recent achievement of the "Equestria Girls" trademark, which will be used for dolls and doll clothing.

What do you all think? Personally I don't care that much since this will likely have no effect on the current MLP series, but I still think it will not perform well.

I already see one major break with the canon that may cause problems; they appear to have made all of the girls the same age. In the series it is fairly obvios they are not; Rarity is probably way older than say pinkie In fact, if you translate out pony ages to human ages, I actually doubt the mane 6 could even BE in high school together at the same time, I think the differnce in ages between the oldest (probably Rarity) and the youngest (probably Pinkie) is more than 4 years (so, barring someone being left back, someone would have graduated by the time the youngest entered as a freshman) And since a pretty significant part of what makes Rarity Rarity IS the fact she actually has a job, taking that away would alter the character a lot, too much probably.On the other hand Trixie (who is probably roughly the same age as Twilight, maybe a little older, looks old enough to be a teacher. I also have some issues with the designs, I think it looks odd they all have those high boots except maybe Twilight (who may simply have big baggy Japanese schoolgirl socks). AJ makes sense, she'd had cowboy boots in pretty much every humanization done, but Raimbow Dash? those things don't even look like she could run in them (in fact they look like something designed for a wrestling team) In short, this looks less like "MLP tranlated into the human world and more like "Humans with MLP window dressing put on to capatalize on the shows popularity, but devoid of any real meaningful connection to the orginal show, in plot OR in spirit."
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby True Order » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:02 pm

If they do this fo rizzle than I swear upon Celestia and Luna's kid-friendly human animated bosoms that there had better be a humanized Roseluck at least SEEN at some point, the other background ponies would be awesome as well.

HA! I just pictured King Sombra in this setting, he's that trashy kid who secretly smokes in the parking lot and tries to get other kids to do it. The scummiest of scum.

Also I think it's either High school, junior high or middle because last I checked colleges don't have many lockers.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:07 pm

Believe it or not, since they are actually going to go through with this I'd to actually like to see them NOT be high schoolers and if any of them are in college then have be focused on very little. I know they look young enough in the drawings to possibly be high schoolers, but you can never tell with cartoon characters.
Maybe I'm just sick of the whole going to school plots out there, but one thing I liked about MLP: FIM is that the characters felt like adults who had adult responsibilities. Twilight is practically Spike's mother and AJ has a family she has to help support with her brother.
I'd rather see that then a show about teenagers doing whatever it is the developers THINK teenagers do.

The common thought among the community is either "Why?" or "This won't last long, but I'll give it a chance."
I'm not sure what category I'm in and I can't help but view this as a way to cash in on the show's popularity. Maybe I'm just being cynical though. Aliens: CM came out today can you blame me?
In the end its like I always say, "It depends on the writing."
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:57 am

Couch and J dude already pointed out the flaws of the latest episode, so I want to mention one think that I think was good about the episode: Rainbow Dash. We got another glimpse of her hate for failure, as a filly and carried to the present. RD was definitely a lot of more emotional comparing to the beginning of the series: tearing up when remember the disappointment when Cloudsdale didn't get the game, or that grief when she saw the crystal filly. Though with a bit a personal motive, she was really enthusiastic to help, and when things didn't end up well, she took the blame on herself. I dare say that she is the most well-developed character of season 3, even more than Twilight (though the last episode might change that).

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:33 am

RD did get quite the boost in development this season, I do agree. Her affection for Tank, her willingness to quit trying to be a Wonderbolt, the latest episode for what was just said, and so-forth.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:41 am

Oh please tell me that they are not going with those designs. I have seen so many other designs from artists in the brony fandom that would be more appropriate for humanizing them. I mean it does not have to be perfect and can remain simple, but those look like they will be incredibly stiff when animated.

Postby dj1107 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 am

Is it to early to start my Best/Worst episodes of S3?
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Dibullba » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:46 am

Feel free to if you want. I am still curious with the last episode coming. As it stands though for now:
Best- Sleepless in Ponyville (everything done right with characters and plot)
Worst- Wonderbolt Academy (do I even need to rant about the ending again?)

Postby dj1107 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:55 am

Ok then -cracks neck- lets begin

Best: A tie between Keep calm & Flutter on, Too many Pinkie Pies & Sleepless night in Ponyville.
The reasons are this: KC&FO was Magic Duel done right a fan favorite returns & they in the end become good. The reason why it's handled better comes down to 2 things 1. It's Discord he's actually about 12 time more important to the series then that bitch Trixie. 2. His reason for turning good was actually better then Trixie's. TMPP is simple it's a half hour of Issac Newton spinning in his grave. SNIP is also simple as well we finally got a Scootaloo episode & Luna is secretly Morpheus from Sandman.

Worst: Magic Duel. Where do I begin with why I hate this episode that I haven't already said? Trixie return wasn't needed, 5 of the main 7 characters acted stupid throughout the episode, & a bullshit ending that pandered to the fanbase of Trixie. Worst of it did the one thing this show has never done to me it got me frustrated. Hasbro please avoid doing shit like this again

Postby True Order » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 am

Best- One Bad Apple (My favorite song of the season yet and a pretty cool CMC episode overall with a new cute Apple family relative.)

Worst- Apple Family Reunion ( =I Racist barn, lack of true meaning to raising barn, repetitive song and stereotypical mane character naivety to cause a conflict, though I did like the fruit bats.)
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Saint Soul » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:49 pm

"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Grieffon » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Here to build up more hype:
Princess Coronation event wrote:Keeping it spoiler-free, I did enjoy the episode much more than I thought I would. It was cleverly executed, had multiple catchy songs (including one sung by    Celestia! No, seriously, guys, we get Celestia singing   ), and was overall very fun to watch.

As for the Equestria Girls spinoff, I agree that the characters design can use some improvements, maybe something like this

Postby Dibullba » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:28 am

All for those designs.
Anyways, if you have 30 minutes to kill this is worth a look just because of how hilarious the medium is. Also helps to have a commentator commentating it!

Postby dj1107 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:53 am

runner-up for best: Crystal Empire The bad apple, Apple family reunion, Only for Sidekicks, & Wonderbolts Academy.

runner-up for worst: Spike at your Service, & Games Ponies Play.

Postby Dibullba » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:03 am

Runner-up for best: One Bad Apple as well as Keep Calm and Flutter On
Runner-up for worst: Apple Family Reunion (nothing bad about the ep in particular, just nothing to make it stand out.... aside from baby AJ sending me to the hospital)

Postby dj1107 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:26 am

Reason why Spike at your service is a runner-up worse boils down to one thing: non-consistent character traits. Spike acts like a goddamn klutz whenever he tries to help Applejack yet he's quite compitant when ever he helps out Twilight. There are too things that save the episode though 1. Pinkiestache & 2. Timber wolves.

Games ponies play suffered from the same problem Magic Duel suffered from The characters acted stupid. It's saving grace though are Rainbow Dad & The pony they confuse for the announcer.

Hell this season is the first season to actually have a terrible episode there were alot of close calls in the last 2 season (S2 had Mysterious Mare-Do-Well & S1 had the Appleloosa episode) but I finally manage to find one that was crap.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

Grieffon wrote:As for the Equestria Girls spinoff, I agree that the characters design can use some improvements, maybe something like this

I don't see the difference... other than the plain taste for clothing. We might as well get something like THIS. But that's waaay over the top. He he.

I think they got their reference from the fact that all humanoid fanart (gijinkas) of ponies are anime-looking. Most of them.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:17 pm

Okay, I know that the MLP comics have been around for a while, but I've never read them. I just haven't, but then a buddy showed me these panels telling me that this actually happens in the comics.
http://horsepower.emeraldcoastcomics.ne ... icbook.jpg

Holy shit! Chrysalis is one cold hearted evil bitch. I saw that and I no I don't support the abuse of animals, but damn am I amazed that they got away with that.
I draw grimdark stuff by the way and some people gave me shit about a certain drawing I made of Scootaloo getting really mad about those damn chicken jokes and going Kruger on some poor bastard and if those same people saw this they'd shit bricks.
And they shut down Fighting is Magic because they're worried its too violent?

I'm tempted to write a letter to the makers of the comics telling them how glad I am that those of us like me who actually enjoy the occasional grimdark material that they had the balls to put bunny squashing in an MLP comic and maybe traumatize the living hell out of the CMC. I don't know if that's a real bunny or not but that doesn't take away the fact that Queenie just turned it into a smear on the wall.

Maybe I should be reading these comics since now half the dark material I've made and my friends have made seems a lot less far fetched in that universe now. I don't usually get this overly excited about something based off of a few panel shots, but damn.

And no I haven't posted any of my grimdark drawings on this thread or plan to mainly because I have a sick sense of humor and I don't know if you guys would find an old traditional art picture I drew of Pinkie Pie slitting the throat of her evil internet counterpart to be as funny as I do. Don't worry, I drew it in a way so it looks more like it was in self defense than just some wanton act of murder.
It is one of my most viewed drawings though and some of the reactions people have to it are really interesting to read. They're all either really happy I drew it or are comically freaked out by it. One guy commented saying and I quote, "Yay someone with sense in the community."

I didn't say anything back, but I could not believe that someone had said that to me after I had drawn that.
My point is that people can be really funny sometimes without meaning to.
I wanted to reply to the guy saying something like, "Dude, are we looking at the same drawing?" but I didn't want to seem like I was insulting the guy for liking something I drew.
I know I'm the one who drew it, but even I'm aware that it should be an at least somewhat scary image.
Bark

Postby punzil504 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:37 am

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20130215

Apparently, Pete Abrams is a Brony.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby dj1107 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:05 am

Basically this is how The Myserious Mare-do-well is far from a good episode
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikjD7lR-bY

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:18 am

punzil504 wrote:http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/20130215

Apparently, Pete Abrams is a Brony.

And/or a Tolkien buff (the Prancing Pony was the name of the inn in Bree in The Lord of the Rings )
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)