General Chat Thread

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:12 am

So in a few days I've scheduled another playtest of the zombie game. The rules are basically in place, though they might need some tweaking. So I'm going to open a thread once that happens.

In other news someone should totally open a thread on wine. I love me some wine. Shotgun not it.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:56 am

ale > spirits > lager > wine
Image
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Guardian » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:17 am

I don't even drink, but I have to agree to that from what I've heard.
“Salvation comes with a cost. Judge us not by our methods, but by what we seek to accomplish.”

"To punish and enslave..."
Semper Vigilans
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18999
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 pm
Location: Right behind you.
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Whatis6times9 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 am

I can't agree with Ale>Lager because there's some really amazing beer types that come out of the Lager family and some shitty ones on the Ale side.
Image
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8976
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:34 am

Grey wrote:ale > spirits > lager > wine

That's just, like, your opinion, maaaan.

But seriously, I don't like beer, lagers, ales or whatever else. They just don't jive with me. Cider's good, I like that a lot. Spirits I like. Especially gin. Love me some gin. Wine, natch. Liqueurs, sure. Just not the beer family.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Tuor » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:40 am

I don't like wine. Errything else is a-ok with me.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18440
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:48 am

keep in mind these things are only slightly above eachother in the pecking order. there are no wide gaps.

and you only hate beer because you haven't had the right one, yoshi
Image
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:19 pm

Grey wrote:keep in mind these things are only slightly above eachother in the pecking order. there are no wide gaps.

and you only hate beer because you haven't had the right one, yoshi

Oh man, I've heard this so much. Believe me, I've tried every beer I've come across and that's a lot. I've never gone "I don't like this, but maybe if it was slightly less bitter and more malty..."

Every time I go over to someone's place someone offers me a beer and when I say I don't drink beer they say exactly that. "Oh, try this one, it's better!" Inevitably I have some and don't like it. I've tried many brands, from fancy European and American imports to local Aussie brands to dark beers from the motherland.

The explanation I usually give is that, okay, take gin. I love gin, but a lot of people hate gin. It'd be like me telling someone that they may like gin if they just tried the right one, so they go out and try a bunch of gins and they still don't like it at all. Not that they wished it was slightly different, they just straight up hate it.

I don't get why going "Oh, I don't like <insert spirit here>" is okay but saying "I don't like beer" always gets "You just haven't tried the right one!"

Anyway, not a personal attack Grey, you're always cool in my books and I respect your opinion!
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:52 am

The key difference is that beers run the gamut for flavor profiles, it would be like saying you dislike all spirits because you dislike vodka. Now I can see the whole sale dismissal of a type of spirit because most types have a very similar if not outright codified flavor profile.
Image
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8976
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Mir@k » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 am

I've tried lots of beer and they all taste bitter and have a lot of gas. I always feel like a helium balloon after i've drank a couple. :c
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1312
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Tuor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:16 am

your body might not like the yeast/hops
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18440
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:47 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:The key difference is that beers run the gamut for flavor profiles, it would be like saying you dislike all spirits because you dislike vodka. Now I can see the whole sale dismissal of a type of spirit because most types have a very similar if not outright codified flavor profile.

You say this but the fact is that while beer tastes different type to type they all still taste like beer. There's no getting around that fact. Wine tastes completely different but people still say they don't like wine. Tuor said so in this very thread. I'm not telling him he should keep buying every different brand and type of wine forever until he likes one, like people seem to do with beer.

"Oh try this one? Don't like it? Try that one. Keep trying until you like it!"

It's bullshit. People write off every kind of spirit or wine in general and that's okay apparently. But beer is special and different so there's no way someone doesn't like beer! They must have found the wrong one!

Beer is beer. I haven't dismissed it because I had one bad bottle. I have tried a fuck-tonne of beer. I just don't like beer.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Vegedus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:09 am

To me, beer is an acquired taste. I didn't like it all in the beginning, took years before I could reasonably tolerate the taste and only now, 10 years later, am I actually beginning to enjoy the taste. I stuck with it, though, because the alternative is ciders, making me both poor and a girl.

Though, it could also be that I still don't like beer, just alcohol. Or it's an age thing, like veggies.
Image
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10243
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: Denmark, at world's end
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:13 pm

But the problem for you is most people who say they don't like beer haven't sampled more than whatever mass market swill their friends or family drink, so most people have the reaction of "you haven't found one you like". I personally didn't really like beer until I started hanging out with friends whose beer of choice was Guinness and then I started experimenting from there finding what I like and dislike. I haven't written anything off besides unflavored vodka because I don't like the flavor(or lack thereof) and vodka is highly codified in the lack of flavor. For wine, I won't write it off but I will say I haven't found one I like, but that might be because all my wine drinking friends are the drinking by the bottle/box type.
Image
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8976
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Tuor » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm

There is wine that I think is fine, and will drink if everyone else drinking it, like at a family dinner or something. I never really choose to drink wine, though. Given the choice between it and another drink I'll pretty much always choose the alternative.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18440
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Princess » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:51 pm

I, personally, love wine. If I can't decide what to buy at the liquor store, I go for the red wine.
Image
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8714
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:33 am
Location: My throne.
Gender: Female

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:19 pm

at least we can all agree that being drunk is better when you drink tasty things
Image
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Yoshi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:51 am

Grey wrote:at least we can all agree that being drunk is better when you drink tasty things

Now this is something I can agree with.

Also, drinking a tasty South Australian Riesling right now. It's pretty good.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin
Moderator

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12585
Joined: Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:38 am
Location: In A Tree Gathering My Nuts
Gender: None specified

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Image

i got to take a couple of these glasses home from work because we got new styled ones in to replace them

feel mad fancy drinkin my beer with it
Image
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:58 am

I like spirits and wine, don't like beer at all.

Martini is my favorite drink, though in most bars over here you have to settle for Gin or Vodka.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:19 am

if you haven't already, go vote for me as most likeable mod of 2012. thread's at the top.
Image
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Grey wrote:if you haven't already, go vote for me as most likeable mod of 2012. thread's at the top.

Already voted for Val yesterday. :)

You would've been my 3rd choice, if it's any consolation. :P
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Mr. Froggy » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:28 pm

Doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo. Doo, doo, doo doo, doo, doo, doo. Doo doo, doo doo doo doo, doo doo. Doo doo doo, doooooooooooo doo. Doo doo doo, dooooooooooooooooo doo. Doo doo doo, dooooooooooooooooo doo. Doo doo doo, doo doo doo, doo. TEQUILA!
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1852
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:01 am
Location: Norfolk, VA.
Gender: Male

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Grey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:17 pm

Rival wrote:
Grey wrote:if you haven't already, go vote for me as most likeable mod of 2012. thread's at the top.

Already voted for Val yesterday. :)

You would've been my 3rd choice, if it's any consolation. :P
third?
THIRD?

u r ded 2 me, kami
Image
I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11159
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: General Chat Thread

Postby Rival » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:43 am

Grey wrote:third?
THIRD?

u r ded 2 me, kami

Image
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12784
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests