Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Grey » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:55 am

i'm not surprised at all, because i read the exact same thing at the bottom of the last page
Image
Suave Brit

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11165
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:08 pm
Gender: Male
Sexiness: Godlike

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Creppy Eggy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:06 am

We get it Joker-Undead, Super-Sentai and Kamen-Rider supervillians are your favorite!
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.


Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: City of Angels
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:26 am

He reminds me of whats-his-damn-name. The one that feels smug as hell because Bleed used his monster in PpGD, and felt as if he was part of the team because of it. He was obsessed with that Kamen-Rider stuff. He was pretty damn annoying as I think about it.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18979
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Mathias » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Blood Lord wrote:He reminds me of whats-his-damn-name. The one that feels smug as hell because Bleed used his monster in PpGD, and felt as if he was part of the team because of it. He was obsessed with that Kamen-Rider stuff. He was pretty damn annoying as I think about it.

He is that guy. Kainsword17.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 11861
Joined: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm
Location: Fire up chips.
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Whatis6times9 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 pm

THE MIGHTY MONARCH!
Image
ButtStuff: I love you, too.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 8977
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:10 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:45 pm

Mathias wrote:
Blood Lord wrote:He reminds me of whats-his-damn-name. The one that feels smug as hell because Bleed used his monster in PpGD, and felt as if he was part of the team because of it. He was obsessed with that Kamen-Rider stuff. He was pretty damn annoying as I think about it.

He is that guy. Kainsword17.

Ahh... I didn't know he changed his name. That explains the fascination then.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 18979
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:21 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Creppy Eggy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:14 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:THE MIGHTY MONARCH!

Haha Venture Bros. is awesome.
As I saw the creature, I was as white as an egg. I was so scared I might crack from fear. As the humanoid began to lunge after me, I was walking on egg shells from how scared I was. It grabbed me, took me to its station, and cracked me open. The last thing I saw were my yellow insides cooked on a pan. Human nature is as evil as a rotten egg.


Stuff: Exodis is funnier than people give him credit for.
The Intergalactic Huevo
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 pm
Location: City of Angels
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Joker-Undead » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:46 am

Exodis6 wrote:We get it Joker-Undead, Super-Sentai and Kamen-Rider supervillians are your favorite!

Sorry, I got a little carried away again. No harm, no foul as they say.

Any way, I have a non-toku villain I like, The Major (from Hellsing Ultimate) for one simple reason, he's an insane, cyborg, vampire nazi. I mean, damn!!
The Bringer of the next Undead-War!!
Image
"Why so Serious?"
The Ultimate Undead-kaijin.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1140
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:34 am
Location: The Nullvoid
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Vegedus » Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:11 am

I like Anderson a lot better, but it's up for debate if he's a villain.
Image
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10249
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: Denmark, at world's end
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Jacobaa » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:38 am

Image

I had always thought of Bullseye as being kind of a lame supervillain. That is, until I got a hold of the Punisher MAX: Bullseye comic/graphic novel. Overnight, I became a HUGE fan of Bullseye.
Hunter's first choice archery accessories
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:29 am
Location: USA
Gender: None specified

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Saint Soul » Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:22 pm

Deathstroke, Cobra commander, Joker.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1170
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:33 pm
Location: in the TARDIS
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Rival » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:43 pm

BobSagat wrote:Joker is a shit choice because he's a villain that only succeeds because of the stupidity of others. He's not really good at anything other than being crazy and even then he's outdone by plenty of other characters.

Griffith because he's such the perfect white knight even after making his deal with the devil. The deadliest thing about Griffith isn't even his own power, but his ability to inspire others to follow him. That and as an antagonist, he brings out the best most interesting qualities of the protagonist.

I agree that it's a problem with the character, I recently read a few issues of the current "Death of the Family" DC event and while Scott Snyder's aim is clearly to write a story where the Joker is a super terrifying genius, the only impression I get is that the Gotham PD and to a lesser extent Batman and his "family" are brain dead morons. It really stretches the willing suspension of disbelief, how pretty much everyone acts exactly how the Joker is predicting it, as a part of a scheme that'd require months of preparations logistics-wise. And appaarently no police guy would bother attempting to shoot a killer clown cause Gordon doesn't want him dead... right.

But that's a problem with supervillains and pop-culture villains in general. BL mentioned (well posted a pic of) Darth Vader and it reminded me how Palpatine is written to be this super-intelligent schemer in the prequels, but it's done by making all protagonists complete morons:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 8K8#t=158s

And I mean I love Griffith as much as the next guy, but it's not like the Crimson Behelith thing isn't ridiculously convenient to write, too. All his talents and manipulation are irrelevant, since once he obtained the Behelith he was destined to become a Godhand and after he became one he faces only opponents he overpowers while a Pope gets brainwashed via dreams to hail him as a Prophet to all of humanity, if he hadn't had the Behelith he would've ended up as a cripple for banging the King's daughter. To me "villain is awesome and succeeds because the will of the entire universe wants him to" is exactly as lazy as "villain is awesome and succeeds because the protagonists act like morons".

Blood Lord wrote:The Joker... I find myself tipping my hat more to the people who played him, then the character himself.

That kinda proves he's an interesting character at his core though. If a character is badly designed and/or badly written even the best actor won't squeeze out anything enthralling out of him.

Tim Curry also played a murderous clown (or well, alien monster masquerading as a murderous clown, same difference) in "IT", and I think we can all agree he's a great actor, but the portrayal isn't exactly anything as timeless and interesting as Hamill's, Ledger's or even Nicholson's Joker, because the Pennywise character has a goofy design and corny lines.

I remember 5 years ago, pretty much every geek on the Internet who was into comics or their adaptations liked the Joker, then TDK came and since now almost every impressionable obnoxious teen at a major con cosplays as the Ledger Joker, I've noticed a lot people are souring to the character and I understand that, and I know a lot of you frequent cons.

The Joker is overrated and currently the character is being oversaturated in pop-culture(same as Batman), but he is a very entertaining and versatile villain even without great actors potraying him.

He can be scary: http://i.imgur.com/8GXWZWu.jpg

He can be funny: http://i.imgur.com/JuKAWXB.jpg

Or both at the same time(that's my favorite Joker design btw. Marshall Rogers did some great art): http://i.imgur.com/dqidkGr.jpg

Plus, as a kid, I remember I found the idea of Joker Venom scarier than any of the stuff Scarecrow pulled, when I was 9 I watched the Batman TAS adaptation of the Laughing Fish story, and the episode had a long and detailed depiction of the Francis character suffering under its effects with the guy laughing hysterically and grinning, all the while becoming more and more pale and chocking from unbearable pain, watching that as a kid was fucking creepy. And you know, a murderous villain should be terrifying.
Tuor wrote:Too mainstream.

Here's an obscure guy
Image

But this is why I don't like most "favorite X" type threads on the Internet, it often devolves into proving what a unique snowflake you are, while trying not to come across as hipsterish, so people try to pick something not too obvious, but also not too obscure to be unique and not get called pretensious.

Not to say this forum is like that, but if I just typed Arkady Ivanovich Svidrigaïlov (and I want to mention him later) you guys would probably think I'm trying to make an impression, even though Crime and Punishment is read as widely in Eastern Europe, as the Great Gatsby is in the US.

Anyway on-topic, can't bring it down to one

If it's just "super"villains: Lex Luthor especially his versions from Justice League Unlimited and Young Justice ( "the Return" is my favorite Justice League Unlimited episode solely because of Luthor's role and dialogue in it)
The Joker is also pretty high up there as should be evident already though I think I like Luthor more
Chrollo Lucifer from HxH
Griffith from Berserk
Solf J. Kimblee from FMA
Mayor from Hellsing got mentioned, he's pretty cool too

If supervillain protagonists also count:
the Comedian from Watchmen
V from V like Vendetta comic version
Hisoka from HxH
Kurotsuchi Mayuri from Bleach

If we ignore the "super" part and just name villains(hey Grey posted Vince Mcmahon, so I'm not the first):
Anton Chigurh from No Country for Old Men
Hans Landa from Inglourious Basterds
Arkady Ivanovich Svidrigaïlov from Crime and Punishment
Mephres from Pharaoh
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12803
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby BobSagat » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:40 pm

Rival wrote:I agree that it's a problem with the character, I recently read a few issues of the current "Death of the Family" DC event and while Scott Snyder's aim is clearly to write a story where the Joker is a super terrifying genius, the only impression I get is that the Gotham PD and to a lesser extent Batman and his "family" are brain dead morons.


Yeah, it's pretty awful, but it does well to highlight why I can't take Joker as a character seriously anymore. Make him too much of a joke and not of a threat and then no one can take him seriously. Make him too much of a threat, but refuse to give him any sense of mortality and again no one can take him seriously. It's more of an indication of how broken the comics industry in the States are then anything else. Characters are no longer characters, but brands meant to be kept alive for as long as they're profitable (then dramatically killed off to reignite interest for a later revival).

This is not to say that American comics are doomed to have uninteresting characters. I've enjoyed Joker in plenty of standalone stories and in general, PunisherMAX is one of my favorite comic series.

That said, having too many cooks spoils the broth and Joker has had a lot of cooks. His character has been so diluted and polluted that Joker no longer holds any weight as a character. He is a brandname and logo and knowing that he is functionally immortal for as long as DC is in business hurts his character in any story he's in.

And I mean I love Griffith as much as the next guy, but it's not like the Crimson Behelith thing isn't ridiculously convenient to write, too. All his talents and manipulation are irrelevant, since once he obtained the Behelith he was destined to become a Godhand and after he became one he faces only opponents he overpowers while a Pope gets brainwashed via dreams to hail him as a Prophet to all of humanity, if he hadn't had the Behelith he would've ended up as a cripple for banging the King's daughter. To me "villain is awesome and succeeds because the will of the entire universe wants him to" is exactly as lazy as "villain is awesome and succeeds because the protagonists act like morons".


You've made a few misunderstandings/oversimplifications here about Berserk.

Simply having a Behelith is not enough. Guts carried one for a long time without ever falling to temptation the way Griffith did. And that's an important part of Griffith character, when temptation arrived he is given a glimpse of his future where he is only a cripple and for anyone else, it would have been a content, if uneventful life, but for Griffith it wasn't enough. Griffith made his choice and what he's done and become is a reflection of that. Unlike a character like Joker who is constantly recycled and reused, Griffith's (and 90% of most other characters) actions carry more weight because this is likely the only story in which he'll ever appear.

Destiny, determinism, causality, etc. are all things that ensured Griffith got to where he did. But even so, Griffith was told he's always been free to make the choice himself because he is after all, "the chosen one".
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:02 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Vegedus » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:52 am

Yeah, I agree with that. The important part of the "Raping of Casca" arc (much better name than whatever the real one was, I'm sure) was the "falling to temptation" bit. What makes Griffith a good villain is that he willingly choose to become one, rather than accept a lower fate. Still not on my list, tho.
Image
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10249
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2005 4:46 pm
Location: Denmark, at world's end
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Rival » Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:33 am

BobSagat wrote:You've made a few misunderstandings/oversimplifications here about Berserk.

Simply having a Behelith is not enough. Guts carried one for a long time without ever falling to temptation the way Griffith did. And that's an important part of Griffith character, when temptation arrived he is given a glimpse of his future where he is only a cripple and for anyone else, it would have been a content, if uneventful life, but for Griffith it wasn't enough. Griffith made his choice and what he's done and become is a reflection of that. Unlike a character like Joker who is constantly recycled and reused, Griffith's (and 90% of most other characters) actions carry more weight because this is likely the only story in which he'll ever appear.

Destiny, determinism, causality, etc. are all things that ensured Griffith got to where he did. But even so, Griffith was told he's always been free to make the choice himself because he is after all, "the chosen one".

I see your point, though I don't know if I agree with the assertion that the glimpse of a cripple life offered "would have been a content, if uneventful life" for anyone else, since he wouldn't be able to lift a thing by himself and would have to rely on the health and well being of the single person taking care of him. If anything, most people would fear such a future even more than he did. But the glimpse wasn't a real vison of his future anyway, since it featured Casca, and she would've ditched him with Guts, it would've probably been Judeau who would take care of him.

But of course none of that impacts the main point you were making, that Griffith is a product of all his past decisions, and that his fate has more of an impact on the reader, since he only appears in one story.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 12803
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:54 pm
Location: Poland
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Mir@k » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:22 pm

I had understood that the behelit guts has was different from Griffith's.
I read what you guys said, but if i'm not tripping and both behelits were indeed different, then guts does have the choice to avoid temptation if said behelit is discarded because it was the "common" behelit that transformed you into an apostle, unlike Griffith, whose crimson behelit was said to stick to those people who are guaranteed to become a godhand.

Sure, griffith "chose" to sacrifice everyone by himself, but void kept babbling about the powers that be having already chosen Griffith for that. So... Isn't Rival's point still strong?
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:00 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby BobSagat » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:54 am

The choice is still there is the point and that's what makes the character. That said, destiny is an odd thing in Berserk.

Guts and Casca were never meant to survive or at least that's what all the seemingly omnipotent characters say, so who the fuck knows.
ImageImageImageImageImage
2pro
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 10921
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:02 pm
Gender: None specified

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby NoHandlebarsAttached » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 am

Does Adolf Hitler count?
Image
Gib mir BENZIN!
Atheist Absol
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Tuor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:37 am

Mmm, I wouldn't think so, he doesn't really have any super power or anything fantastical about him. This is the second time you've posted in an old thread, try to be more aware of that, dude.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
online
 
Posts: 18437
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby NoHandlebarsAttached » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:45 am

I had something to say about this topic, and creating a new thread would have simply created clutter in the forum.
Image
Gib mir BENZIN!
Atheist Absol
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Riz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:53 am

Because it was a very necessary bit of input :/ .......
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby NoHandlebarsAttached » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:05 am

I didn't realize all input had to be life-changing.
Well, I think Hitler's leadership ability alone would qualify him as a supervillain, were he a fictional character. He took a broken nation, rallied its people behind him, and took over nation after nation.
Last edited by NoHandlebarsAttached on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Gib mir BENZIN!
Atheist Absol
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Tuor » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:08 am

Would Napoleon be a super villain as well then?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan
Moderator

User avatar
online
 
Posts: 18437
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2005 2:22 am
Gender: Male

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby Riz » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:10 am

Stalin fo' sho'
Image
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 15647
Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:09 pm
Location: no.
Gender: Female

Re: Who's you favourite Supervillain?

Postby NoHandlebarsAttached » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:14 am

I was thinking about Stalin. Definitely an evil bastard.
Napoleon? He's not a figure that's viewed by most as evil.
Certainly power-hungry, though. Maybe he would be. Hard to say.

Since I managed to get us talking about evil historical figures, how about Mao Zedong?
Image
Gib mir BENZIN!
Atheist Absol
User avatar
offline
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm
Location: Kokomo, Indiana
Gender: Male

PreviousNext

Return to Snafu General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests