And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:23 am

Hmm, have you not read Salinger? Or did you not like any of his stuff?
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 am

I tried reading Catcher in the Rye and just couldn't get into it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 am

Did you hate Holden, or was it a stylistic problem?

Try Slaughterhouse-five
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:29 am

I can't even remember, I think it was just the hype surrounding it.

I haven't read any Vonnegut, I got a copy of Slaughterhouse-Five a few years, lent it to my sister and she promptly lost it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:31 am

I think it'd be something you'd like. Vonnegut that is. As for Salinger, you could try reading something else of his that isn't as hyped, or else just give Catcher another try. If you're gonna read something else you could try Nine Stories
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:56 am

Yeah, I've just been compiling a list of things i should read or should have read by this point, the problem is I can barely remember what I read in high school both for fun and for classes.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:59 am

In highschool we barely read any of the books that people stereotypically read.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:07 am

I remember reading the TIme Machine, The Pearl by John Steinbeck, Black Boy and Native Son by Richard Wright, The Crucible by Arthur Miller, a few things of Shakespeare and a bunch of books I can't be arsed to remember plus a bunch of short stories.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Riz » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:12 am

Scarlet Letter?
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:12 am

Out of all those, the only thing we read was a Shakespeare play each year. I didn't read the Crucible until college english.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:13 am

Riz wrote:Scarlet Letter?

Never read it, most of out reading was Great Depression or later.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:16 am

Riz wrote:Scarlet Letter?

Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Princess » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 am

ha
Tuor: Stuff is our resident, hot mess, alcoholic.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:17 am

I can't remember all of what I read because it is between 5 and 9 years ago.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:21 am

I remember a long time ago getting into The Dresden Files. Only read the first book however, despite plenty of people saying it was a good series.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:22 am

Never heard of it
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 am

It's like this magical detective in Chicago. They made a tv series about it too back in 07.
An Optimist

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:27 am

The show sucked and the series has run into the double digits for number of books, that's a sign I don't like.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 am

Guess it's just one of those series that just stay around for way too long.
An Optimist

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:38 am

I wouldn't know, but the problem is if a book series is planned to be that long it feels like the characters are waiting around for something to happen, if it's not planned then the writer seems to run out of ideas.

I remember I also read the Metamorphosis.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Musicmac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:57 am

Hello, moved in to a new house, how's everyone here?
Listen.

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:10 am

Meh, aight
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:31 am

Making plans for the weekend for my birthday. Today I celebrated with my mom's side, but on Saturday I'm planning on spending time with dad and my younger sister.
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:35 am

Happy b-day, bro
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Q.U. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:41 am

Whatis6times9 wrote:I remember I also read the Metamorphosis.

Ahh, good old Kafka. Yes, I remember that.

Do you like Patricia Cornwell? She has a nice set of little crime/thriller like books.

Though to be honest, the book I've had the most fun reading so far, purely on the literary level at least, would have had to be Cinnamon Shops, by Bruno Shulz. But it's not a book that most would enjoy reading.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

PreviousNext

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!