It's not a Majora's Mask remake like the fans wanted.

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: It's not a Majora's Mask remake like the fans wanted.

Postby Zelosse » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:56 pm

I dunno bear of war, I was promised open world fantasy and I got it. I was promised epic fights with dragons and I was not given it. When you can stunlock a dragon with fireballs your game has lost it's power.

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:29 pm

skyrim bored me sooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

Wow, this is so apples to oranges and thread derailing I dont even
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby BeeAre » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:36 pm

shut your butt >:X there's a ton of thematic relationships via the exploration it is just the priority of exploration that goes by

Fallout 3 and Windwaker are similar, all the Elder Scrolls games are similar, they use a massive grid system of navigation, it's just the scale and precision by what you want to find.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:44 pm

but br it is so repetitive as fuck what do you have to say about explaining that to me huh
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:57 pm

Mir@k wrote:skyrim bored me sooo muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch

Yes I agree, the complete lack of variety in the enemies, and missions made the game lose it's shine very quickly.
I liked Oblivion better.

As far as the exploration goes, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with the way you travel and explore in wind waker, but give the choice, I prefer solid ground open world compared to sea travel. In other words I wish some of the Islands were a bit bigger in ww.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:03 pm

Bigger islands would have felt better, yes, but one of the things i loved the most about wind waker was just how truly open the sea felt. It was a very different experience. Tedious for some maybe, but i can't be the only motherfucker on earth who thought the day to night transitions and the starry sky above you while the sound of the sea was the only thing in the background for ten minutes was fucking beautiful. Also while you rotated the camera looking at how fucking pretty everything looked despite the graphics being cell shaded. Sailing on that game at night felt so relaxing for me. Specially when you spent the following six hours at some island unraveling all of it's mysteries or spending it underground on the very long dungeons and then coming back to open sea again. Awesome.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Izanagi » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:01 am

okay what, no. Wind Waker and any Bethesda game aren't similar. I'm talking gameplay here not, like, exploration.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Wild Card

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:12 am

Ey! Dont contradict the br you fgt.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:48 pm

Warbear wrote:okay what, no. Wind Waker and any Bethesda game aren't similar. I'm talking gameplay here not, like, exploration.

exploration is a method by which they employ their gameplay, which I admit freely that the styles of gameplay are VERY different.

Windwaker's ocean feels huge and makes it hard for me to play it because I have an irrational fear of large bodies of water :(

In a similar but less phobic way for me, Fallout 3, Oblivion, and Skyrim have these absolutely colossal expanses of terrain.

I just can't ignore that sense of exploration as it applies itself to the gameplay, thus I without direct intent find myself comparing them, because of the power of the theme in exploration. That's the similarity. :X
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:55 pm

But you could say most open world games have that same theme.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:58 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:But you could say most open world games have that same theme.

i think that IS what i am saying :x
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:13 pm

But exploring is the onus of the player because even the best designers can't use the entirety of a map. Like with GTA4, there were areas that I didn't know existed until I played the DLC because they weren't used. Also some people hate the forced travel that happens in those games, I love just spectating on a well crafted world like Red Dead Redemption but I know some people who hated traveling through big open expanses of nothingness(I even had those moments).
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby BeeAre » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:21 pm

Whatis6times9 wrote:But exploring is the onus of the player because even the best designers can't use the entirety of a map. Like with GTA4, there were areas that I didn't know existed until I played the DLC because they weren't used. Also some people hate the forced travel that happens in those games, I love just spectating on a well crafted world like Red Dead Redemption but I know some people who hated traveling through big open expanses of nothingness(I even had those moments).

Designers intentionally leave portions of some of the map blank - or more accurately devoid of places of interest - to promote the sense of exploration--getting out of a place with nothing to go to a place with something. Your remark doesn't deviate from my proposition, it enforces it. :x

And if people don't like exploring, well, they shouldn't be playing games that usually market their world being big as a feature. :B
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Whatis6times9 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:33 pm

But if you avoided open world games you'd be dismissing some of the best and most notorious games of the past two generations.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Havoc » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:53 pm

The way I look at open world exploring, there's good, and bad open world.

Good: a world filled with lots of fun places, hidden secrets and, exciting and interesting things to do.

Bad: an empty, over sized, world filled with little to nothing to do. A world/sandbox where you travel joylessly for place to place.

But that's just my opinion.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 pm

A good sandbox needs elements of both
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Birdofterror » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:07 pm

BeeAre wrote:Designers intentionally leave portions of some of the map blank - or more accurately devoid of places of interest - to promote the sense of exploration
Isn't that the opposite of exploration? Finding nothing? Well, not in 'real' life of course, but in the gaming universe, there is never a 'need' for nothing.

Unlike real life, in place of nothing you can literally make something. Why have nothing when you can have something? If people actually think nothing is a good idea, I think I need to get out more. Kind of seems like modern art, but in a philosophical format.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:11 pm

What
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:26 pm

I think the point is Fallout is best forever.

I want 4 now.
For the Greater Good

Postby BeeAre » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:28 pm

For the moment the world sucks, so I am not explaining much more beyond the simple idea that if everything is cramped, you have information overload. Some games want in their design. However, in a big world, you want lots of time to think about what you're going to do when you get there--that's part of why speeches and messengers were given overly long and complicated ideas to be sent to people back in the day In The Real World. Instant transport of information around the world like we have now wasn't even a fever dream in a mad inventor's brain. In a big world, you consider a lot as you move, and game designers want that from huge explore-able world. In Fallout, it's even exaggerated with VATS. That's the connection. Anyone who doesn't get that from hereon is beyond my interest to save them in my current state. I'll discuss more maybe when I feel less like poopcrap.
Puff Most Epic.
BR

Postby Kkeellaacc » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:37 pm

Signature Under Construction

Postby Jasthn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:15 am

I saw this earlier this afternoon, and I have to say, the design for the 3DS and Wii looks very nice. If a Wii U looked like that I would buy it just for the design and Majora's Mask.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

Postby Havoc » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:17 am

Speaking of fan made Zelda things, what ever happened to the fan remakes of Zelda 64 [beta Oot], and Ura Zelda?
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Jasthn » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:31 am

I didn't hear of a fan remake. I know OoT came out for the 3DS, if that's what you meant. also, Ura Zelda was just OoT but with some extra features, not an entirely new game.
I GOT 'DEM HUMPS.
Doctress Who:You can be my Brony bitch ;D
Droctress Who:Jas, would you like me to make you a sandwich?
JesusChrist: Well if you insist Jasthn I'll use it with you. Spread them cheeks

Tragedy_and_Comedy: Jas is about as dangerous as a kitten.
Blood Lord:I hit your dog with mah truck. :3
Lenore Celestalis:*jumps on your back* weee~
That guy.

PreviousNext

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!