My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Joker-Undead » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:22 pm

I've seen episodes on Youtube for a couple of years now, but it's only recently I've started to really enjoy it. When I first saw it years ago, I thought it was going to be too girly, but boy was I wrong, as the series went on, I've started to like it a little more. It's a series in which anyone can enjoy, girls or boys. You guys know what I mean.
The Bringer of the next Undead-War!!
"Why so Serious?"
The Ultimate Undead-kaijin.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm

Their eating him!
Now their going to eat me!
OH MY GOOOOOOOOOD!

Sorry, I had to do that joke.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:27 pm

Most of me thinks this picture is really cute. The bit that doesn't actually thinks it's a little cruel on AJ. BM's hooves are not exactly like hands, he does walk on them, so they probably have a lot of mud on them (or less savory substances, this is a farm, and while we know ponies are toilet trained, we don't know about other animals) I'm sure he washes his hooves when he comes in, but you can never really get hooves completely clean. On top of that, there is the matter of BM's Horshoes, which are probably quite rough,(I tend to assume that, due to the kind of work they do, most of the SWA ponies wear horshose that are quite heavy duty (the equestrian equvalent of work boots). They'd sort of have to, to do things like buck trees, they're hooves would crack otherwise). with large protruding nails (for better traction when hauling) So what is happening to AJ is sort of like someone giving you a noogie with thier feet, while wearing work boots with hobnailed soles. Probably rather painful.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Since we now seem to be on the topic of discomfort I have a question:

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a little like Discord might be about to hurt Fluttershy in this picture? Everyone seems to think this is innocent enough, but there's something about it that makes me think his intentions aren't very pure here. Maybe its just the shading, but for some reason, Discord seems a little threatening here, like he's going to ring her neck. Or maybe I haven't gotten the whole "Discord is a villain thing" out of my head.

Also I found this little PMV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exhhhe2Q ... ig&index=3
(Warning the lyrics have naughty words in them)
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:16 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:Since we now seem to be on the topic of discomfort I have a question:

Am I the only one who thinks this looks a little like Discord might be about to hurt Fluttershy in this picture? Everyone seems to think this is innocent enough, but there's something about it that makes me think his intentions aren't very pure here. Maybe its just the shading, but for some reason, Discord seems a little threatening here, like he's going to ring her neck. Or maybe I haven't gotten the whole "Discord is a villain thing" out of my head.

http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/f/2013/019/0/a/discord_is_my_friend_by_johnjoseco-d5s08v3.jpg

Also I found this little PMV:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exhhhe2Q ... ig&index=3
(Warning the lyrics have naughty words in them)

Yes, I can definitely see it. The key bit is Fluttershy's expression, her eyes are completely empty except for some white highlights (which look suspiciously like what they use in anime to indicate someone is about to cry). It's the face of somone paralyzed with terror and helplessness. It isn't just that it looks like Dischord is about to hurt Flutter, It's that it looks like he ALREADY has hurt her, hurt her bad. If it wasn't for the fact I know they wouldn't do it, it almost looks like what you would expect if Flutter was a battered filly, or even if Dischord had literally mind-raped her.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:20 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:Am I the only one who thinks this looks a little like Discord might be about to hurt Fluttershy in this picture?
Mon-Kitsune wrote:It isn't just that it looks like Dischord is about to hurt Flutter, It's that it looks like he ALREADY has hurt her, hurt her bad. If it wasn't for the fact I know they wouldn't do it, it almost looks like what you would expect if Flutter was a battered filly, or even if Dischord had literally mind-raped her.

I just see it as Discord playing Fluttershy like a helpless gullible fool everyone thought she was. Each person view it differently I guess.

Tank finally appears again in tomorrow's episode, and he got a good scene with Rainbow Dash in the preview.   

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:34 am

Postby punzil504 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:33 am

Comments on Episode 311...

The Mane 6 really carried the idiot ball for the majority of the episode. Spike's really not all that good at manipulation.

Most of my personal favorite moments involved Tank. Including the "dawwwww" moment with Dash. Actually, giving the "sidekicks" a group day in the limelight was nice.

Also the giant hairdryer.

What, no anvilicious letter to the Princess about the lesson Spike learned? Oh, wait, he should have already known that. Lampshaded by Zecora.

Rarity's list of things for Opal was the largest, but of course she gave the smallest jewel.

I just didn't find the running gag about Spike eating the jewels before they went on the cake very funny the first time... and since it was a running gag, they ran it into the ground, and even brought it back at the end with a Big No.

It almost seems like the writers couldn't decide whether they wanted it to be a CMC episode or a Spike episode, so they crashed their Peanut Butter truck into a Chocolate truck and said let's do both. Without a single dollop of whipped cream...

Maybe I'll change my mind the next time I watch it and pay more attention to little details instead of the plot.   
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:03 pm

@punzil
   That little gem was traded for the most valuable item. Previous episodes already showed that different gems have different rarity and value, like the baby blue sapphires in Sisterhooves social were said to be extremely rare, and the fire ruby seem like a one-of-a-kind.   

As for little details, I think this is the highlight of the episode:

Last edited by Grieffon on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Just for Sidekicks 1080p is up

Grab it in case it goes down.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Grieffon wrote:@punzil
   That little gem was traded for the most valuable item. Previous episodes already showed that different gems have different rarity and value, like the baby blue sapphires in Sisterhooves social were said to be extremely rare, and the fire ruby seem like a one-of-a-kind.   

Actually, given how gem mad Spike got, I was half expecting him to let his hunger get the better of him and go after Opal Essence's Collar. I imagine opals are ultra rare in Equestria; I think the collar one is the only one we've seen PERIOD (assuming even it is real, it almost looks more like a Slocum stone (an old opal simulant made of glass)   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 pm

Random and disjointed thoughts on the episode:

First off the next episode is Games that Ponies Play and I wander if this episode will link in with the next one.

Damn Spike, do you ever stop eating?

Hey its Tank, nice to see him again... Wait! Did, did he just give Rainbow Dash a kiss!? DAWWWWWWW!

Look its Barking Mad and... she seems like she's getting better. Not very funny, but still good for her. Its nice to see that she's not as crazy.

Big Mac and Cheerlie? Are, are they dating? Hmm.

So... I guess we're not going to get to see Peewee again since Spike apparently returned him.

And we have another DAWWW moment between RD and Tank while Pinkie has one of her episodes with Gummy.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Angel Bunny's a dick!
But he was just missing Fluttershy this time so even though he's a dick, it was understandable this time... He's still a dick though.

Now for some real talk:

Spike episodes are always a little interesting to me. For one the show is mostly made up of female character and an episode through a male's perspective is rather rare. But we all know that this is mostly a filler episode. It was fun filler though, but filler none the less. Its okay to have episodes like this were we spend time with character other than the mains to break things up and the episode managed to be a little funny and if they're going to link it in with episode 12 I'm kind of interested to see what will go where and if we'll see the train station through the Mane Six's point of view.   
Bark

Postby J-Dude » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:00 pm

Episode certainly went places.

Glad to see what's become of the Crystal Empire. Looks like it's not having any issues with trade and tourism.

I had to pause the video for like, two minutes when the CMC mentioned using that tiny piece of ruby to pay for that giant fuck-off hair dryer. I'm convinced it's a rental, because damn!

In fact, this episode is no doubt going to be picked-over to worldbuild on how Equestria's economy works and what the value of jewels is. I mean, it makes sense for the girls to pay Spike off with jewels, but some of them just happened to already have a jewel on them when he spontaneously offered to take care of their pets. It says something, y'know? I can only assume that jewels can be used in trade like you'd use a ten-dollar bill instead of ten one-dollar bills.

But naturally, jewels aren't equal in value, depending on the size and type.

The ruby makes sense, because technically I think rubies these days are more valuable than even diamonds, though we didn't see a diamond in this episode, I don't think.

But then we have Fluttershy's massive green gem. Emeralds aren't AS valued as diamonds, but they're more valued than sapphires, and we saw one of those in Spike's measuring cup from Pinkie or Applejack. I'd guess it was just a huge garnet, unless Fluttershy really IS just that determined to keep Angel well cared for (which isn't out of the question).

Still, that damn ruby rented out a massive hair dryer. What must that translate to, 50 bucks a day? An hour? More? Less? Either way, quite a bit for something like pet-sitting.

So, some insight, perhaps, into how much more common and less valuable gems are in Equestria as opposed to real life? I mean, they sound less common now than I'd speculated before, but then, they DO tend to be friggin' enormous compared to IRL gems of a fraction of their size, while still being affordable to layman... er, laymares...

Ich... I'm starting to think we're overthinking a lot of the elements in this show...   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:40 pm

J-Dude wrote:   In fact, this episode is no doubt going to be picked-over to worldbuild on how Equestria's economy works and what the value of jewels is. I mean, it makes sense for the girls to pay Spike off with jewels, but some of them just happened to already have a jewel on them when he spontaneously offered to take care of their pets. It says something, y'know? I can only assume that jewels can be used in trade like you'd use a ten-dollar bill instead of ten one-dollar bills.

But naturally, jewels aren't equal in value, depending on the size and type.

The ruby makes sense, because technically I think rubies these days are more valuable than even diamonds, though we didn't see a diamond in this episode, I don't think.

But then we have Fluttershy's massive green gem. Emeralds aren't AS valued as diamonds, but they're more valued than sapphires, and we saw one of those in Spike's measuring cup from Pinkie or Applejack. I'd guess it was just a huge garnet, unless Fluttershy really IS just that determined to keep Angel well cared for (which isn't out of the question).

Still, that damn ruby rented out a massive hair dryer. What must that translate to, 50 bucks a day? An hour? More? Less? Either way, quite a bit for something like pet-sitting.

So, some insight, perhaps, into how much more common and less valuable gems are in Equestria as opposed to real life? I mean, they sound less common now than I'd speculated before, but then, they DO tend to be friggin' enormous compared to IRL gems of a fraction of their size, while still being affordable to layman... er, laymares...

Ich... I'm starting to think we're overthinking a lot of the elements in this show...   

There's one big problem with your guess about Fluttershy, by and large, garnets are RED or orangy. There ARE such things as green garnets (in fact garnets come in every color except blue) such as Dematoid and Tsavorite, but those tend to be pretty expensive (I actually own one in my "savings hoard" that cost me about $10, but I got that from someone who was liquidating and selling at only about 5% of market value) and are not found in a size like what Flutter had. Peridot is a possiblity, but again they don't usually show up that size. If you want something green that would be that size IRL, you'd probably be some sort of tourmaline.
Though I agree that that gem may be a bit excessive. It isn't just that that stone, if an emerald is enormous (stones that size havent really been seen since the coffers of the Mugal princes on India were all liquidated and the massive number of stones they had bought from the Spanish over the previos 3-4 centuries began to liquidate (The Mugals loved emeralds for religios resons (they were Muslim, and the Koran describes emeralds as being the same color as the grass in paradise)) it's that for a stone like that to be eye clear is basically unheard of (eye clear emeralds are almost uheard of anyway).
Also, sappires aren't neccecarily all that expensive. I've got 5-6 of them and I think the most I paid for one was about $50, and that was a 3-4 carat one of a very unusual color (actually all of the sapphires I bought are pretty ununsual colors, since I tend to go for non-blue ones, I have a purple, a green, two orangy (one of which is red enough it techically counts as a ruby) and the one I mentioned is cantaloupe). A lot of the "expense" in jewelry jewels is actually the markup for the setting; loose the gems are usually pretty affordable (unless very rare or very large).
Though we do have an explantion of how they all have stones. We know Rarity's "knack" is finding gems, and her element is generosity. I'm sure she gives the occasional stone out to her friends. That could for example explain where AJ got hers (remember her family is fairly poor, so gems have to be avaliable to even the lowest income bracket from time to time. Maybe she occasionally hands out leftovers from her work, which could explain why Flutters and Twilights stones were actually cut.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:24 pm

Rule 63 (or whatever) King Somber:

Okay guys, I just got back from ghosting (a term I use when I read stuff without replying. Don't know if that's the right term, but that's what I call it) in an anon thread on a pony site and it was some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.
People are such ass-holes when you just take away any chance of repercussions. I kind of doubt that most of them were really pony fans and just wanted to troll, but whatever. Every so often there would be a nice little thing of someone preaching peace and love, but it would be fallowed by some of the most ignorant shit imaginable.
I would say it made me loose faith in humanity, but that happened a long time ago even before I spent this much time on the internet.

After seeing this parade of some of the most vial and disgusting yet (amusing to me at least) things people can come up with to say to each other, I found something out about my self. The internet has done little to change me. I'm still the same person I was before I discovered the internet as I am now. The internet has had zero effect on me.

Its kinda disgusting when you think about it.

Am I alone in this or is there someone out there who's old self was killed by the internet?

Anyways, story of self discovery over here's some more ponies:

In the new episode some of my favorite parts was the love that RD showed Tank. They looked so cute together:

Bark

Postby Biostar » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:46 pm

Okay episode. I found the most enjoyment I got from it was the little details like the interactions between some of the characters.   

Also:

Grieffon wrote:As for little details, I think this is the highlight of the episode:

http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/thumbs/800/600/2 ... 78.png.png

I laughed when the nurse stopped and looked back when Winona started barking.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:07 pm

Biostar wrote:   Okay episode. I found the most enjoyment I got from it was the little details like the interactions between some of the characters.   

Also:

Grieffon wrote:As for little details, I think this is the highlight of the episode:

http://cdn.derpiboo.ru/thumbs/800/600/2 ... 78.png.png

I laughed when the nurse stopped and looked back when Winona started barking.   

Nice to see that it looks like Barking Mad is getting better though.
Bark

Postby J-Dude » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:20 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:   There's one big problem with your guess about Fluttershy, by and large, garnets are RED or orangy. There ARE such things as green garnets (in fact garnets come in every color except blue) such as Dematoid and Tsavorite, but those tend to be pretty expensive (I actually own one in my "savings hoard" that cost me about $10, but I got that from someone who was liquidating and selling at only about 5% of market value) and are not found in a size like what Flutter had. Peridot is a possiblity, but again they don't usually show up that size. If you want something green that would be that size IRL, you'd probably be some sort of tourmaline.
Though I agree that that gem may be a bit excessive. It isn't just that that stone, if an emerald is enormous (stones that size havent really been seen since the coffers of the Mugal princes on India were all liquidated and the massive number of stones they had bought from the Spanish over the previos 3-4 centuries began to liquidate (The Mugals loved emeralds for religios resons (they were Muslim, and the Koran describes emeralds as being the same color as the grass in paradise)) it's that for a stone like that to be eye clear is basically unheard of (eye clear emeralds are almost uheard of anyway).
Also, sappires aren't neccecarily all that expensive. I've got 5-6 of them and I think the most I paid for one was about $50, and that was a 3-4 carat one of a very unusual color (actually all of the sapphires I bought are pretty ununsual colors, since I tend to go for non-blue ones, I have a purple, a green, two orangy (one of which is red enough it techically counts as a ruby) and the one I mentioned is cantaloupe). A lot of the "expense" in jewelry jewels is actually the markup for the setting; loose the gems are usually pretty affordable (unless very rare or very large).
Though we do have an explantion of how they all have stones. We know Rarity's "knack" is finding gems, and her element is generosity. I'm sure she gives the occasional stone out to her friends. That could for example explain where AJ got hers (remember her family is fairly poor, so gems have to be avaliable to even the lowest income bracket from time to time. Maybe she occasionally hands out leftovers from her work, which could explain why Flutters and Twilights stones were actually cut.   

I guess I'll defer to your judgement on gemstones, since you have actual experience with them.

Though I'm pretty sure when we've seen Rarity go unearth gems in the past, they've come out of the ground pre-cut. It doesn't make logical sense for them to be like that, but hey, it's canon.

Also, clearly Equestria's standards as to the size and number of gemstones you find is deeply skewed in the favor of numeration and general largeness. I mean, that tiny ruby we saw in this episode was probably the smallest gem we've seen in the entire show as of yet. Clearly the stuff we consider standard IRL would be the mere runoff of jewels cut in Equestria (if they even need to be cut at all).   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:53 pm

Actually, were probably on less than firm ground assuming that was a ruby in the first place. Not every stone that is a sappire is blue (sapphires belong to the mineral group corundrum. If corundrum is red, it's a ruby, if it's white it's called a papadrasha (or somethinglike that) if it's ANY OTHER COLOR, it's a sapphire). Similarly not every stone that is red is a ruby, there are a lot of others. Most of these are lesser stones like spinels, but a few are more expensive than rubies like bixibite a.k.a red beryl (green beryl is emerald, blue green is aquamarine).
Actually Equestria is an odd case. In a lot of cartoons gems seem to still be graded by the pre-mineral standards where color was how you assigned stones, or why the "Black Prince's Ruby" in the crown jewels is actually a spinel (in fact, ALL of the majorly famous large sized rubies in europe, when tested proved to be either spinels or garnets). This also explains the "come out of the ground cut" thing that's actually pretty common cartoons (sort of the reverse of how jewels actually would have been in the pre-industrial age. Those were usually set uncut, as the tech to cut them didn't exist yet). But Spike has actually described gems in terms of thier mineral nature (his "what gems are good for what meals" speech") so I have to assume they DO know minerals.    So maybe that "ruby" was something like a red diamond (yes those exist)   

Postby True Order » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:42 pm

Wow Mon, you REALLY know your stuff.

I feel like I might as well share my own personal theory about the "cut gems from the ground" thing, though I don't have geological know-how to back it.

So my own theory suggests the Diamond Dogs to be responsible for the abundance of cut gems in the ground. It's already suggested that they are hoarders from the show, so tie that with the standard dog's known habit of burying stuff they want to keep safe and I'd say it makes a lot of sense. The diamond dogs come off as greedy, conniving bastards so I imagine they hide their hoards from one another and never really use them for anything other than to satisfy that instinct. I don't know, it makes sense to me.

*pony shrug*
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Zelosse » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:08 pm

Y'know, with all the crazy spoilers everywhere this thread kinda looks like a big government coverup but with ponies thrown in to confuse any spies into thinking it useless information.

Postby Dibullba » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:12 pm

Zelosse wrote:Y'know, with all the crazy spoilers everywhere this thread kinda looks like a big government coverup but with ponies thrown in to confuse any spies into thinking it useless information.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:20 pm

AW! Dibullba!
You beat me to it!

Oh well, here's a cool thing I found:

Bark

Postby punzil504 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 pm

I saw a good one of those with Fluttershy portraying the Hulk... I'll see if I can find it again.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Grieffon » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:10 pm

Art dump.

King Sombra 2.0
Rose luck
Reading by moonlight
Fall
No wings no problem
Heaven for Scootaloo
Dunno
Fun in the clouds
The classy mare
Life of the party
Moonwatching
Sun
King of the Wendigo
Clouds of Chaos
REALLY
Blitzstar and Celestia
Country pony visits big city
So many wonders
Celuna vs Discord
I quit
Fears

punzil504 wrote:I saw a good one of those with Fluttershy portraying the Hulk... I'll see if I can find it again.

One of these?

My Little Avengers
Destruction is magic

Mad-Mutt wrote:Nice to see that it looks like Barking Mad is getting better though.

People call her Screwloose, as her cutie mark is a screw and "have a screw loose" refers to being crazy.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)