Sugar Bits Question

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Sugar Bits Question

Postby Rane » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:58 am

Haha! I will cut you off at the pass sirs. No, this isn't a question pertaining to when the next page will come out or about a character in particular. Rather, this is another manner of dreaded question to the people that can grant permission.

I've been a fan of Sugar Bits since the beginning and honestly I've felt that it should have gotten tremendous amounts more love than it has. What with the eighty year battle and what not. Anyway digressing now!

Here is what brought me to asking this question which I have as of yet gotten to. Everyone points out things that coulda, woulda, shoulda, been done. I'd like to actually try my hand at a fanfiction of Sugar Bits that is functionally a reboot as far as the relevance of fanfictions go (absolutely none) just for fun. Maybe it'll entertain some people far as the story itself, or by my sub par writing abilities. Either way I'd really love to have a crack at writing Sugar Bits the way I would've handled it if I'd been on the writing team or had half the talent Bleed does with art work. Not in some weird ego driven way but- okay look. I'm bored, lonely, talk to a yellow rubber ducky about my deepest darkest fears, live in a tiny apartment and generally not all that sane by this point. It'd be something to do and at least another diversion for people looking to kill some time with some reading.

Re: Sugar Bits Question

Postby Dibullba » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:08 am

1. I see no question (take no offense my humor is horrible at times)

2. As far as fanfiction would go, nothing stopping you from doing it. I have no idea if Sugar Bits is even a copyrighted thing, but even if it were fanfiction is protected by fair use.

3. Are you insinuating something further than just writing the fanfiction? I know that Sugar Bits in terms of pacing was horrible, but I would not say the story was bad. Merely the potential it had with fresh characters, it could have been something much greater than it was.

Postby Rane » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:55 am

Ahh, well the question was asking for permission to write a fanfiction. I tend to ramble a bit and it got lost in the typing. I'm not insinuating anything other than writing a fanfiction. Just in terms of human perspective from person to person everyone sees things that they take an interest in, in different ways.

I was merely saying that I'd like to do a bit of show and tell on how I would've told the story. There is no criticizing the established story aside from the prolonged battle with Bleedhart and what seemed to be an odd pacing to it. Going from a bright shiny kingdom to an abruptly dark one. It just all seemed so.. rushed I guess would be the way I'd put it. As said before I've been a fan of Sugar Bits from the beginning, I just want to share my own personal interpretation of the events with everyone who would care to see it.

Postby Birdofterror » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:17 am

Rane wrote:Going from a bright shiny kingdom to an abruptly dark one. It just all seemed so.. rushed I guess would be the way I'd put it.
I think this was going to be a continuous thing, the changing of scenery that is. The world Sugar Bits takes/took place in was one of deep mystery, though predominately run by happy go lucky floating animal Romans with space age technology, I think they were trying to imply that there are many different sides of this universe.

From Happiness, to Sadness, to Anger and so on. In a perfect world with sublime pacing, we could explore all of the aspects of the Sugar Bits world and everything within it. If you want to make a fanfiction on what could have been, try to find and hit up one of the writers for the story and get an inside scoop.

If that doesn't work, just go with your gut. That's what I do with my Fanfiction.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby punzil504 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 am

While I've seen plenty of PPGD and Grim Tales fanfictions, a Sugar Bits fanfic would be refreshing if you can pull it off. I encourage you to try.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Valhallen » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:09 am

You generally don't need permission to write fanfiction so long as you don't profit from it, but asking is polite, I suppose. If you want to write a fanfiction here, do so in the Literature forum after checking out how things work there.

Copyright is awarded automatically on the creation of an applicable work, but as Dibullba pointed out, the fair use exception allows fanfiction (if it is non-profit).

Postby BeeAre » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:56 pm

While - to no discredit to you personally, but merely on a practical matter of getting him to do things in a reasonable fashion (and if he read this he might be rather cross with me, but I am sick, so balls to it) like say, not work on GT so much - I am afraid that Bleedman might like it too much and actually make it, there's no (other) threat (treat?) to be had from making fanfiction, if you'd like.

I certainly have no qualms about it, and a doujinshi, as you might be aware, is a business THING in Japan, and that is for what the D in PpGD stands; I don't think Bleedman would be offended in the least. Fire away. We are closing up shop on it at least for a time being rather soon, to try to expand... In a new direction. Let this be my first indication of something rather well done by the writing staff in general, and to take extra credit for it, because I am KING OF THREADS.
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Etherian » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:14 pm

BeeAre wrote:We are closing up shop on it at least for a time being rather soon, to try to expand... In a new direction. Let this be my first indication of something rather well done by the writing staff in general, and to take extra credit for it, because I am KING OF THREADS.

Now that does sound promising. I wonder in which direction this expansion will occur.

It's a pity that Sugar Bits is ending (for now at least); I always thought Sugar Bits had much more to offer than the current plotline displays.

Postby Misery Chord » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:27 am

This is a slight diversion, but...

Does the fair use defense actually permit fan fiction? I'm not a copyright expert, but my impression of fair use was an affirmative defense which only applied if the copyright holder took action against the offender, who would be the writer of the fan fiction. I don't recall any major ruling on non-profit fan fiction to classify it as a protected category.

Also, I thought that the creators of a franchise were legally advised against explicitly endorsing fan fiction for the nightmare scenario that someone could write a fan fiction of the franchise, and then if enough specific elements of that fan fiction make it into the actual product, the fan fiction author would have a strong case that his or her work was used without permission or compensation.

Postby Valhallen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:33 am

Pretty much on both points, but fair use has multiple considerations, an important one being monetary motives. As a practical consideration, copyright holders usually only go after fanfiction writers if they try to make money off it.

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)