The Walking Dead

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Walking Dead

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:51 pm

Anyone else have played this? If not, you should, it's fucking great. It's sorta an adventure game, but to much larger degree, it's a roleplaying, in the bioware sense of it. No number crunching or levels, but lots of freaking grueling choices and interesting dialogues. This game touches my feels like nothing else, especially horror and empathy.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Re: The Walking Dead

Postby Hiryu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:36 pm

Isn't it done by Telltale Games? 'Cause I've honestly never been disappointed by them, they've delivered great games.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Senel » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm

It is Hiryu.

It's a great game. Played through three times doing what I could differently.

Very disappointing some people were impossible to save no matter what.
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 am

Senel wrote:Very disappointing some people were impossible to save no matter what.

If there was ever a single reason to legitimately dislike this game, it's there. For a game that prides itself on moral choices that effect the flow of the story, an appalling amount of the decisions made have no impact on the entire story in general.

But if you can break out those finite limitations, you can find a great story that a lot of people poured their hearts into. That one negative is very outweighed by the positives.

Not to mention if you don't like it, each episode is only like five bucks, so you can choose not to continue if you want. I give it a Thumbs up.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Glahardt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:58 am

Hiryu wrote:Isn't it done by Telltale Games? 'Cause I've honestly never been disappointed by them, they've delivered great games.
Except Jurassic Park. It was total shite.
Birdofterror wrote:For a game that prides itself on moral choices that effect the flow of the story
Moral choices? You must be confused. There are no "moral" choices in The Walking Dead.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:25 pm

I agree with Zero Punctuation on this game.

Postby Millo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:38 pm

Played it , loved it. Can't wait for season two.
And for those who are criticizing the fact that you can't save everybody, this isn't a make your own story RPG. Some things have to happen and I believe characters dying no matter what is what the walking dead is all bout.
Have you tried turn it off and on again?
QU:You look sad and frightened.
Stricken:i know this probably isn't the time or place now, but god damn millo is a hunk
Resident Illustrator

Postby Vegedus » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Got done with Episode 5. All the feeeeels.

Ultimately, choices in games is a pipe-dream. Unless games find inventive ways to use other players in ways similar to what tabletop does (I tried one one time that was turn based and had a sort of GM that reacted to your action), or make use of AI that won't be available until the singularity, it just isn't feasible. Every character that you could save or not would mean a ton of voice acting, cutscenes and animation work that wouldn't even be seen by most players. If they had to make truly branching storylines, rather than the collapsing, bioware-esque ones they did, the season couldn't have been longer than the first episode.

For my part, I'm satisfied with the effort they put in. With every inevitable death, there was choices connected too them, which at the very least affected your relationship with the other characters, which is a lot of what the series was about to me. And yeah, I don't think The Walking Dead was a game about being able to save everyone, it was about gut wrenching decisions, regardless of what those decisions actually lead to.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Senel » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:09 pm

I'm wonder how the next season will work.

Will we play as Clem or one of the other two? Maybe even a whole new character.   
Pelvic Sorcery

Postby Jazzy Blitz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:50 am

pretty good game...
Jazzy C. Blitz
The only thing that stand between me and stupid people is this sentence.

Return to Snafu Gaming