My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:41 pm

Well, after seeing the bit of RD hate coming from True Order and Dibulla I almost feel a little hesitant to share this other picture of Rainbow Dash I finished a while ago...
Oh screw it here's something I drew.

Rainbow Dash: You Can't Take the Sky From Me:

Yes those are Firefly lyrics.
I wanted this drawing to look... beautiful... and its hard for me to draw beautiful things, I've always considered my usual style to be a little ugly.
What this was meant to be is something like a love letter from Dash to the sky. People argue and joke about what she prefers, mares or stallions, but we all know that Dash's one true love is the sky and no one can take that away from her.

Now if there's one thing the internet has taught me its pointless to try and change someone's opinion about anything so I'm not even going to try and I'm not going to give anyone shit for disliking something I like, but I am going to come to its defense. Lets just avoid any fights, I'm not in the mood to bang my head against anyone else I just want to stick up for my favorite character. You can think what you want because in the end it all comes down to personal taste.

Now in defense of Rainbow Dash:
Where as some people call her a coward because of Read it and Weep I still see the pony who will charge in head first at a manticore or something even bigger to protect the lives of her friends. I still see the pony who gave us some street cred when she handed Starscream's metal ass to him on Death Battle. And I see a loyal friend who in some ways reminds me of the friends who kept me sane over the years.
I would go as far as saying that if it wasn't for RD I wouldn't have even started watching the series. She was the only character who jumped out at me. I saw this confident and carefree character and I was suddenly amazed and even a little jealous. I was a real bastard in High School and I'm not afraid to admit it. I only had a few friends and the ones I did have were a bit like RD, not all of them though. Most of them were more like Fluttershy.
I saw this confident and daring character who wasn't afraid to speak her mind and stand up to anyone and anything and in a weird way it made me want to better myself.
I've read a lot of stuff in the beginning of joining the fandom about people who were bastards like me and this show helped them find a new positive look out on life. Most of the time it was because of a certain character. For me it was RD. She was the type of person (or in this case pony) who made me smile. She had this coolness to her and she got along with all the other characters (even though it did take a while with Pinkie) and she helped me enjoy the other characters more and I started watching the show for them as well as her.
I know it might sound weird to be this attached to a fictional character (maybe as much as it is to really hate one) but I know I'm not the only person who feels this way about one of the characters. I wouldn't call Rainbow Dash a life savor for me, but she did help me get into the series and the series has helped me become a more positive person and I've met a lot of cool people, like you guys.
You can say all you want about RD, but to me she's a blue coated angel.

Edit: .... Son of a bitch that got really sappy.

Edit Again!:
Also, I just found a Spitfirelicious and I have no idea if its been posted here or not. If it has sorry.
So here's Spitefirelicious:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkZThN2c-Q
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:22 am

OMG, THE AMOUNT OF ADORBS, HIROKO! Didn't forget WB was a brony, but it's bee a while since I've seen it show. Hiro's style is really blossoming.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:59 am

If it helps Mad-Mutt, I do not hate Rainbow Dash. Just the episodes she gets are not fully suited for her aside from Sleepless in Ponyville which shows more of Rainbow Dash's real side. She probably has the most potential in being a growing character, but very rarely has her episodes really shined to create these progressions. As much as I hate to say it, Wonderbolts Acadamy may have shown the most realistic Rainbow Dash with character development behind her.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:02 am

I really enjoyed that episode.

I think that Discord's redemption was well handled without making him seem out of character.   
Marquis de Soth

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:28 am

This episode will have a lot of contradicting opinions. And a lot of hate.

Discord was portrayed very well. Even though he didn't do much evil during the episode, he still retained his chaotic behavior. After looking like he was touched by Fluttershy's kindness, he still flipped right afterwards.

Fluttershy was perfect in this episode. It didn't force on what she tries to be (assertiveness), but focused on what she is (kindness). Definitely the best Fluttershy characterization so far.

And that ending is definitely well-played. I would have seen it coming, but somehow the episode made me not.   

Episode link: Keep Calm and Flutter on

When it's up, download it before it gets taken down by youtube

Postby J-Dude » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm glad it at least made a semblance of sense. Guy's never exactly been on anyone's good side (cept' maybe Pinkie) and having an actual friend is territory he's never really explored.

It felt abrupt, but I DID like Discord's epiphany. He finally drops the charade and is all like, "fuck you, I'm Discord, I do what I want! I don't care that I'm betraying the trust of my only friend for thousands of yea— Jesus, THAT sounded a fuck of a lot less sad in my head..." o.O

And oh, by the way? I love how royally some of them fucked-up in this episode.

Celestia: "Oh, don't worry! I've somehow enchanted the already obscenely enchanted objects that can defeat Discord with spells that keep the omnipotent godbeast with no limitations from doing anything with them! It's not like he's beaten any OTHER surefire safeguards I've put up, like that door to the chest of Elements that only I could unlo— OH WAIT!"

And okay, if anyone could "enchant" the Elements of Harmony it would be Celestia, but come on. That was some of the biggest and most obvious handwaving I've seen in a while.

And then she just leaves! "Sorry girls, got a summit to go to! I'll just leave you alone to free and reform the disgustingly powerful agent of chaos.

Oh, and then they all leave so Fluttershy can look after him by herself...

Oh, and then Fluttershy needs to run errands, so she leaves him alone and to his own devices, completely unsupervised... HELLO?!?!?!!

I did like Fluttershy's little reveal that she isn't ACTUALLY being as naive as she seems to be. "Do you all think I'm a silly, gullible fool?!"

XD And then of course Rarity pipes up and goes "Well, only in the sense of being 'silly' and 'gullbible'." Ha ha ha, wow...

Hope this is the canon beginning of several Discord cameos in the series. Like I said before though, I just hope they don't do things like "conveniently" say Discord is on vacation while the next big villain is in town wrecking shit. Now, if he's like Q, in the sense that he might help if he FEELS like it, but also feels like watching things play out, then fine. Or hell, maybe one of these days he'll actually TRY to take on one of the big-bads and actually gets owned in the attempt.

Anyway, fun stuff.

Oh, and screw the two jokers on Youtube that posted 22-minute Rick-Roll videos today just to trick people into thinking they'd posted the episode...   

Oh! And one last thing!

Ponies have GRAVY??? What the fuck! Isn't gravy basically MEAT JUICE???   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:44 pm

I spy you in the stream Grieffon.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:01 pm

We have video liftoff! I repeat, we have liftoff. Go click on Grieffon's link before it's too late.
Marquis de Soth

Postby punzil504 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:13 pm

I agree with the assessment of Fluttershy and Discord being in character. That was done well. Fluttershy's rotating house actually made me a bit dizzy just watching it. Discord vs. Angel Bunny was amusing as well for the schadenfreude.

I am a bit surprised that Discord didn't use the excuse of "I've already tried turning you against each other. That was so last season" excuse to handwave some of that stuff away. I mean, it would make sense for the agent of chaos to never try the same trick twice...

The whole thing just seemed too easy, though, because it had to be crammed into a 20 minute episode (not counting commercial time).

Oh, and from the sound of things, episode 11 is yet another Spike episode.

If (bif if) the "Princess Coronation Season Finale" is everything it is being hyped up to be by the Hub, what are the chances of it being a huge cliffhanger as well?   
Last edited by punzil504 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:22 pm

J-Dude wrote:   Ponies have GRAVY??? What the fuck! Isn't gravy basically MEAT JUICE???   

My thoughts exactly. Though I suppose that there probably IS such a thing as vegitarian/ vegan gravy. Actually, as the series has progressed, the diet of the Ponies seems to be getting less and less "horse-like". In the early episodes, we had things like Twilight making a daisy sandwich (or was it clover, I forgot) now what's on thier plates looks almost like what a human would eat, and I'm not neccecarily talking about a vegitarian human. And this is on top of the fact that by now, not only has it been shown the ponies DO use eggs and dairy products, they seem to use them quite often incuding probably in todays episode ie. the mashed potatoes. I'm sure there is a vegan way around it, but most mashed potato recipies I know of call for a LOT of cream and butter. Escoffier's famous mousse du pomme du terre recipie is about 25% butter and cream, and by the standards of a lot of high end chefs that is pretty skimpy, mashed potatoe recipes that are 50% or even 75% are not at all uncommon (part of the reason is that the Escoffier recipie only really works with La Ratte potatoes, which were a bit hard to come by until the surge in heirloom gardening). This is actually becoming a bit of an issue with me as I watch the show. On one level I KNOW that there are work arounds for most of the "they had to use animal products to make that" but the sheer number of the things is getting a little ridiculous. By now I have to assume that the ponies have vegetable equivalents for lard (the pie crusts, and the grease for the fritter frying) rennet (to make the cheese we saw pinkie eat) parchment (parchment is actually animal skin) leather (AJ's gala boots don't look like they could be cloth, and the ponies don't look like they know how to make vinyl yet) and so on. I'm almost afraid that one episode I will see ponies eating shitakke mushrooms (since this might indicate they they are fond of meat-like tastes), or what Fluttershy feeds those pets of her that are carnivores (actually wasn't there an episode where Fluttershy actually DID feed fish to an eagle or something like that?)   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:26 pm

If you really have to have a reason for it, consider the idea that Equestria is NOT Earth and the characters on the show, while called "ponies" are not horses at all but rather their own thing. Applying real world constraints to them will always fall flat.

Personally, I prefer the MST3K way. It's a cartoon about cute ponies, I don't need to think very hard about it.   
Marquis de Soth

Postby Biostar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:34 pm

Must say I was quite anxious about this episode. Discord is my favorite villain so a redemption story could have an awful effect on his character which would have been a shame. But I think they handled it very well. I didn't cringe as much as I thought I would and it got a few laughs out of me.

This is probably my favorite characterization of Fluttershy so far. She was so balanced between her gentleness and developed assertiveness.

Now we have confirmation on the "Conscious for thousands of years as a rock" theory. Makes Discord's desire for a friend all more reasonable.

I do wish his development was more drawn out though. Times where he would show a little regret after being a jerk to Fluttershy or more times realizing a benefit to having a friend. But I guess that's the disadvantage of a 22-minute time frame. I hope they still keep him as a trickster for any appearances he has later on. Sow a little chaos here and there for a laugh or as plot for an episode.   

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:51 pm

And once again I grace you all with my random thoughts on the episode and my over all opinion:

Well we lost a villain, at least he's still funny. I think this would've been better if this season didn't have a 13 episode limit unlike the last two, then we could of had a two parter where his sudden heel/face turn seemed less rushed. Now instead of just two living deus ex machinas on the side of good we have three. Four if you count Cadence, but I don't because I doubt she's as OP as the others. So yeah, Discord's a good guy. The one thing I didn't want to happen... I don't want to say I'm disappointed about the episode because I'm not. I will give it this, it does say "Fuck you!" to the status quo, in the since that things will have to be a little different now that the deity of chaos is out and about.

Now for some random thoughts.

1: Ha, he's eating paper that's so random and funny... OH, wait there was a reason for that. That's still funny, but now its also clever.

2: Twilight said, "He ate them!"
Don't worry Twilight, you'll get them back in a few hours or so.

3: Come on AJ, just kick the damn beaver!

4: So this episode ISN'T going to be like Birds of a Feather (Batman: TAS) and Discord is actually going to be good...

5: I'd get sick living in a house that spins like that.

6: Discord seems to really like to play dress up does he?   

And lastly, I know this topic has been run into the ground here (I think). But I do have something to add about Twilight possibly turning into an Alicorn. I found that a lot of people who dislike the idea with a passion also dislike Alicorn OCs with a passion.

And I'm going to say this right now. I'm one of those guys who's head cannon is that Screwball might somehow be Discords chaotic off spring and this episode did not ruin it for me. I can still make a handful of excuses as to why she hadn't popped up in this episode. People with head cannons are stubborn like that.

Edit: Spiderman goes to Ponyville: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqyRy92c61A
My three favorite parts:
1: When a tomato hits Trixi in the face. I laughed way to hard at that.
2: When Rarity freaked out at the mention of a human.
3: The ending credits. Its no secret by now that I really like that song and the animation it comes from, hell I even made fanart for it.
Bark

Postby True Order » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:54 pm

Not bad.

J-Dude covered all of the quips I had with the episode. I've stopped thinking critically about the show on my own because the writers don't seem too. Ex. Twilight's last minute brother, the Mary Sues needing to be distracted or disarmed in order for conflict to be true and the fact that ponies can pull Deus Ex Machina out of their asses, see season 2 finale. Pfft.   
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby dj1107 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:26 pm

Remember my issue of stating that Magic duel was a crap episode & You all think I'm insane. Yeah this episode was Magic duel except done a million times more better then that crap episode.
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Another great episode. Well played hasbro, well played. Now we just need to get through the next few episodes and the    Coronation Event    and hope    Alicorn Twilight doesn't come to pass or is temporary at the very least.    Then we're set.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:24 pm

I'm going to throw this out there, one of only ways I can sorta see Twilight as an Alicorn work in a cannon environment is if they remove an Alicorn from the situation. (Probably won't happen)
By that I mean Celestia might have to (Insert euphemism for dying here).

There was a fanfiction someone mentioned a few posts back that has Celestia dying and Twilight becoming an Alicorn in her place. The BIG problem I have with that is I THINK (because I haven't read it) Celestia just dies of a disease or something. That's no way for a character like her to go. I know its a fanfiction and doing something like that would take a shit load of time. But I'm a firm believer that if you're going to kill off a big and important character then you better make damn sure its their Finest Hour.

The show could pull another deity of destruction out of the air or better yet use one of the villains they already have. (All two of them). Something happens that a villain does that is going to destroy all of Ponyville or Twilight and her friends are in danger and the only way Celestia can stop it is by blowing up the bastard along with herself in a last resort. After Celestia is gone a new Alicorn has to take her place to restore balance to the force or whatever and since Twilight is her student, she's first in line.
(That sounds more like a fanfiction plot than an actual episode. But then again people say the same thing about Lesson Zero and I thought the same thing when I saw the description of Keep Calm and Flutter on. No really I think the latest episode sounds like a fanfiction plot. Not that, that is a bad thing of course. There are some pretty good fanfics out there.)

I'm not too bothered by the idea of Twilight being and Alicorn and I think its really just a product of the fandom having an overactive imagination, but one too many Alicorns can being a bit bothersome. There might be a lack of conflict the next time they want to do a villain episode.

Rarity: "There's an ancient god of destruction attacking Ponyville! What are we going to do!?"

*Alicorn Twilight uses magic nuke missile*. The end.

At least if Celestia wasn't around Twilight would have to take her place while also having to learn how to control and use her new powers. Sort of like how Luna took more than a whole season to even be strong enough to appear on screen.

Anyways I'm rambling now, this is what happens when you lack the ability to shut off the part of your brain that thinks up random stuff.
Bark

Postby dj1107 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:16 pm

I'm just going to throw this joke out there because it goes as so well with ep 13

Megatron: Coronation Twilight Sparkle? This is bad comedy.

that is all
Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:I'm going to throw this out there, one of only ways I can sorta see Twilight as an Alicorn work in a cannon environment is if they remove an Alicorn from the situation. (Probably won't happen)
By that I mean Celestia might have to (Insert euphemism for dying here).

There was a fanfiction someone mentioned a few posts back that has Celestia dying and Twilight becoming an Alicorn in her place. The BIG problem I have with that is I THINK (because I haven't read it) Celestia just dies of a disease or something. That's no way for a character like her to go. I know its a fanfiction and doing something like that would take a shit load of time. But I'm a firm believer that if you're going to kill off a big and important character then you better make damn sure its their Finest Hour.

The show could pull another deity of destruction out of the air or better yet use one of the villains they already have. (All two of them). Something happens that a villain does that is going to destroy all of Ponyville or Twilight and her friends are in danger and the only way Celestia can stop it is by blowing up the bastard along with herself in a last resort. After Celestia is gone a new Alicorn has to take her place to restore balance to the force or whatever and since Twilight is her student, she's first in line.
(That sounds more like a fanfiction plot than an actual episode. But then again people say the same thing about Lesson Zero and I thought the same thing when I saw the description of Keep Calm and Flutter on. No really I think the latest episode sounds like a fanfiction plot. Not that, that is a bad thing of course. There are some pretty good fanfics out there.)

I'm not too bothered by the idea of Twilight being and Alicorn and I think its really just a product of the fandom having an overactive imagination, but one too many Alicorns can being a bit bothersome. There might be a lack of conflict the next time they want to do a villain episode.

Rarity: "There's an ancient god of destruction attacking Ponyville! What are we going to do!?"

*Alicorn Twilight uses magic nuke missile*. The end.

At least if Celestia wasn't around Twilight would have to take her place while also having to learn how to control and use her new powers. Sort of like how Luna took more than a whole season to even be strong enough to appear on screen.

Anyways I'm rambling now, this is what happens when you lack the ability to shut off the part of your brain that thinks up random stuff.

The one big problem I can see with a plot like that is Luna. Having Twilight take over for Celestia would put her in a very awkward position. She IS Celestia's sister so tecnhically she would be next to the throne should anything happen to Celestia. So having Twilight take over would mean she would have to spend her time training a pony who was basically in her terms a usurper. Even if she doesn't want the throne anymore there would be tension, as she'd have to question the righness of not taking over every time a screwup of Twilight caused Equestria to suffer. While this could be compelling for an episode or two (especially if the tension causes her to begin to turn back into Nightmare Moon, it would probably not be stable as a plot point, at least not one if they want to keep the tone of the show more or less the same. Having something happed to BOTH Celestia and Luna is also a no go, at that point the power vaccum probably becomes too great for someone as inexperianced as Twilight to handle.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:03 pm

Mon-Kitsune wrote:what Fluttershy feeds those pets of her that are carnivores (actually wasn't there an episode where Fluttershy actually DID feed fish to an eagle or something like that?)

Yes, she did feed fish to some ferrets, even though she was feeding the fish just 2 episodes before that. It is also worth noting that in the IDW comic, Fluttershy's backyard is a zoo, and there were a lion and a tiger (though whether they had been replaced by changelings, or there were none to begin with is up to debate).

And there is such a thing as vegetarian gravy, so don't be bothered too much.

Now as for episode 13, its synopsis has been revealed:

Season 3 Episode 13
Magical Mystery Cure
Aired Date: February 16, 2013
Synopsis: When Twilight casts a spell that switches the Cutie Marks and destinies, the only way to reverse the spell is by writing her own magic.   

Now this just threw everything off.    I don't see how this is related to "Princess Coronation", unless she needs to become an alicorn so that she has enough power to reverse the spell, and after achieving such a feat, she is crowned "The princess of Magic".   

Postby Dibullba » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:41 pm

This comic is so simple and yet it nearly killed me from laughter.

Postby Grieffon » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:31 am

Anyone catch the reference for this one?

Image Image

Postby Dibullba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:38 am

Lilo and Stitch. Sort of makes sense since Discord did reference like two Disney Movies in this ep.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:43 am

Its certainly no Equestria Daily, but I'm honored they added to their art threads.
There's this place call Discord's Domain which is kind of like EQD, only not as fricking huge or a stiffler for perfection. A new watcher of mine told me they saw a drawing I did on that site and I was a little blown away that it was up there. I saw a few drawing that some of my buddies on DA did there as well. The person who brought this to my attention said this might be good enough to be on EQD, but I'm not going to submit it for a while because what with the new episodes there's going to be a flood of fanart and a relatively unknown like me will just get lost in the shuffle.

Here's the picture I made that they added to their version of the Drawfriends. I didn't even have to submit it to them and it was added like a day after I submitted it.

And here's the art thread it was in, I'm number 54:
http://eqmegathreads.blogspot.ru/2013/01/artsy-138.html

Also here's a drawing a guy I talk to sometimes on DA did. I'm showing it off for him because I don't want this just to be about me and Clem from the Walking Dead Game is adorable as a pony. This was in the art thread to.

He said he was trying to capture the game's art style and I think he did a good job.

And last one I promise. This one was done by a really good buddy of mine on DA. He's number 64.
Bark

Postby Saint Soul » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:35 am

What a waist of a perfect villan. The plot was great but for it to be done on discord and how easy it was. I don't think I have any hopes left for and real villain potential in this show.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)