So I'm getting a car...

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

CHOOSE

Hyundai Sonata
17%
Hyundai Tucson
6%
Ride a bike
11%
FUCK
67%

Total votes : 18

So I'm getting a car...

Postby Musicmac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:27 am

and I have no idea what should be involved in the equation here.
What the hell is mileage, why the hell would I want an SUV over a Sedan?
What the hell even qualifies as a Sedan?!

So I came in here and made this thread to choose between a Hyundai Sonata and Tucson.

Also because I'm too bored to do anything else.
Listen.

Re: So I'm getting a car...

Postby Riz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:29 am

you don't even know what mileage is? :\
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Mir@k » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:30 am

i have a qeustion about the fourth option

fuck who?
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Tuor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:34 am

gas mileage is how much you can drive the car without needing to refill it with gas. So probably a good thing in your case. Although, I honestly didn't think people really owned cars much in South-east asia. Sedan, basically your standard 4 door car. SUV stands for Sport Utility Vehicle, basically you'd want it if you plan on carrying more people/stuff, or driving off road a bit or something.

I'm surprised you can not know these things and be able to drive a car, haha
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mir@k » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:39 am

In his defense, i wouldn't know either because my native language's names for all these things are words that sound and write kinda different.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Riz » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:40 am

okay but, if he knows what it is in Malaysian then....oh whatever
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Musicmac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:43 am

Malaysia and Singapore have a higher number of cars and drivers than most places, since the place is a lot more driver-friendly than other countries like China and Hong Kong, where they're either experiencing high costs, a public transportation system that makes a driver's license redundant, or too little parking space.

@MIRAK: FUCK. Nah, Malaysia uses English as a main language for most things here such as maps, and reading material. I was vaguely aware what mileage is, but I actually assumed it was how much distance you could get before the car died out. Guess I was wrong.

@Riz: Malay, malaysian is a nationality.
Listen.

Postby Tuor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:50 am

Well, mileage period is just how many miles the car has on it.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Valhallen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:32 am

"Mileage" depends on context. In a used car, it's how far it's been driven. Gas mileage is how far the car can drive under typical conditions using a gallon of gas (usually expressed in miles per gallon or a metric equivalent like km per liter). Gas mileage is usually better on highways than in cities, and it depends on driving style and other factors, so your mileage may vary.

This is a different consideration from how far the car can go on a full tank of gas because different vehicles have different sizes of tank. Smaller vehicles usually have better mileage and smaller tanks, while larger vehicles usually have worse mileage and bigger tanks.

A sedan is a generic car. Technically, it's a passenger car with three compartments: one in the front (usually for the engine), one in the middle for passengers, and one in the back (usually for cargo). Most cars are sedans, and other kinds are usually called by their type, like station wagons or hatchbacks.

Compared to sedans, SUVs are usually more powerful, with better offroad capability and more passenger/cargo space. They are usually bigger and heavier, which can make them safer in certain kinds of crashes, but their height makes them more vulnerable to rolling over. They usually have relatively poor gas mileage but large enough tanks for decent travel ranges. They are usually more expensive to buy, operate, and insure. Which is right for you depends on what you need in a vehicle.

Postby Tuor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:34 am

la dee da
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Valhallen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:36 am

Postby Tuor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:42 am

Hmm? Car pics?

Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Asmodai » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 am

I'm gonna watch Redline again
Mephobiac

Postby Musicmac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:00 am

@Tuor: That's it, I'm turning this into a voting page for cars once this is all over and done with.
Listen.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 pm

What are you going to be using your car for? Are you just going to drive around or are you going out to do reacretion?

Postby Love.Dreamer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:38 pm

I googled What redline was and i saw boobs...
Hiroko: You monster.
Seriously a Lady.

Location: its none of your concern, you pig in human clothes.

Postby Hiryu » Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:39 pm

Makes sense. Cars and boobs.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Musicmac » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:57 am

The car will probably be used for driving around and car stuff, like all cars do.
Problem is, I can't get over deciding between a sleek car suited for college, or a friggin' bulldozer SUV for carrying all the shit I constantly accumulate.

That, and because the Sonata has Bluetooth.

And I hate the local radio.

I am also all down with the idea of FUCK recreation, depending on what it even means here.
Listen.

Postby Tuor » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:35 am

Recreation stuff would be like outdoorsy things, like camping or sports and whatnot. Honestly, I imagine the Sonata would be enough for what you seem to need to do
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Q.U. » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 am

First thing you should ask yourself should be: can you afford the gas and the insurance costs of a big car? If no, go for a smaller and more energy efficient one.

My car doesn't have much room for stuff in it. But it does it's job well. Though to be fair now that it's -10 degrees outside it's locked up on the parking lot and the car battery is right here at home with me, but you get the point. It's all about what you can afford and what you want it to do. Do keep in mind that you will probably be stuck with your choice for a while (unless you or your parents are wealthy), so do consider the long term issues.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Hiryu » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 am

Musicmac wrote:And I hate the local radio.
These work wonders.

ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Tuor wrote:Recreation stuff would be like outdoorsy things, like camping or sports and whatnot. Honestly, I imagine the Sonata would be enough for what you seem to need to do

This.

Postby NoHandlebarsAttached » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:13 pm

Mir@k wrote:i have a qeustion about the fourth option

fuck who?

ME.
Gib mir BENZIN!
Atheist Absol

Postby Sentios » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:01 pm

Wizard Status. 5 more years

Postby Musicmac » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Yes.
And by yes, I mean no.
I mean, you obviously upped the option for me to FUCK.

lol jk yes
Listen.

Next

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!