Critique My Model of Grim Jr.

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Critique My Model of Grim Jr.

Postby Etherian » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Note: I would have put this in the Art forum, but the rules suggest artists should create a single thread for all their work and I'm only interested in posting this single piece. Please move at your discretion.

I'm personally very happy about registration reopening. I've been wanting to share my model of Bleedman's Grim Jr. for a while and now that the rough draft is finished, I thought it would be a good time.

I don't have a place to host images yet, so I'm using dA's Sta.sh service:
http://sta.sh/01j3bpci5wm7
http://sta.sh/01jdbzklyqjw
http://sta.sh/0z0ol7yaje
(These images are likely to be removed when I actually submit some renders to dA.)

I'd like you guys to assess my Junior model like only Bleedman fans can. I'm new to the art, so there's plenty wrong with it. Still, be cruel - it's the only way I'll learn. Please, mention anything that you think doesn't look right, particularly things that don't match your idea of Junior - yall would know better than anyone else. I'm especially unhappy with his face shape, shoes, shading, and hoodie. Junior's head is surprisingly complex; right now he looks like Michael Jackson. I would like the shading to look as much like Bleedman's as possible, but I'm not sure how. If anyone knows about that sort of thing, I'd appreciate the help.

If anyone is interested, I created the model with Blender using Bleedman's many drawings of Junior.

Thank you for any tip or comment you give. Every one will help me become a better artist.

P.S. What's Bleedman's full name? All I can find is his first name, Vinz.

edit: added left and quarter left shots
Last edited by Etherian on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Critique My Model of Grim Jr.

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:13 pm

Vinson Ngo

Welcome to the forum!
I'd like to critique your model honestly, but i'd like to see more angles of the model rather than just the front view pls. c:
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Marquis de Soth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:18 pm

Since this is related to Bleed, I'm fine with allowing your thread to stay in this subforum. However, you would probably get more useful responses in the Art subforum rather than here.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:13 am

Meh. I would like to see it at more angels. The sides at least.

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:01 pm

It might just be the picture, but you could try lighting him up a bit. Unless if you attempt to make the other characters and they're all also dark like that.

The arms look alittle long though.

But regardless, I want him for my MMD :P
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Etherian » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:02 pm

I took two more shots of Junior. I'll also add them to the first post:
http://sta.sh/01jdbzklyqjw
http://sta.sh/0z0ol7yaje

I also realized my lighting setup was not conducive to seeing details, so I switched to a simple three-point one. Tell me if you would like me to redo the first render or make any others. I would have made a render of Junior's right side, but I couldn't get his hair to shine properly. I'll probably need to make a light just for getting his hair to shine right.

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:It might just be the picture, but you could try lighting him up a bit. Unless if you attempt to make the other characters and they're all also dark like that.

The arms look alittle long though.

But regardless, I want him for my MMD :P

Yes, he is somewhat dark. Even more so in the new pictures, though that's due to lighting. I was trying to copy Bleedman's shading, but maybe that's not best, at least for right now? I was also thinking of making him a little more colorful. For some reason he seems a little bland right now.

I don't know what MMD is, but if you tell me I'll see what I can do. :-)

As far as switching to the Art forum, would they be against a single topic post like this one?

Postby Mir@k » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:36 pm

There is no one in the art forum. I do not understand why they want to send you there, but yeah there's no problem about threads like this as long as it's not one per day.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:34 am

Etherian wrote:As far as switching to the Art forum, would they be against a single topic post like this one?

It'd end up being a placeholder if you ever changed your mind and wanted a personal art thread.
Marquis de Soth

Postby GrimlyLoveGunner » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:23 pm

Etherian wrote:
I don't know what MMD is, but if you tell me I'll see what I can do. :-)

Do you know Hatsune Miku? MMD is a program where you can make 3D models move around and do music videos and shiz. I don't know what programs you would need to convert a regular 3D model to be usable on MMD, but if you wanna try I can link you to the program. Free download.
~My Art thread with picture & info on my Fairly Odd Parents Doujinshi!~
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55061
Iwannabeyourtldrbitch

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:32 pm

So out of curiosity. Why did you decide to do a model of Jr?

Postby Havoc » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 am

It's not bad. But if you want my opinion, you should make the eyes more rounded, and less almond shaped.
I also think you should shorten the arms, and make the finger a little thicker. But that's just me.
User No. 24602
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Etherian » Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:36 pm

GrimlyLoveGunner wrote:
Etherian wrote:I don't know what MMD is, but if you tell me I'll see what I can do. :-)

Do you know Hatsune Miku? MMD is a program where you can make 3D models move around and do music videos and shiz. I don't know what programs you would need to convert a regular 3D model to be usable on MMD, but if you wanna try I can link you to the program. Free download.

I have recently heard of Vocaloids and Hatsune Miku. MikuMikuDance definitely looks worth checking out, but it will be some time before my Junior can be used in it. That would involve articulating him which I'm not capable of yet.

Blood Lord wrote:So out of curiosity. Why did you decide to do a model of Jr?

I want to learn how to create 3D models and animations. The best way to learn is to practice, so I tried to think of a character that I would enjoy making. Junior was an easy choice due to my love of GT and his interesting, relatively simple design. I also hope to animate him and create settings or props, though those goals are tenuous. If all goes well, I may even try other characters like Minnie or Mimi.

Havoc751 wrote:It's not bad. But if you want my opinion, you should make the eyes more rounded, and less almond shaped.
I also think you should shorten the arms, and make the finger a little thicker. But that's just me.

So that's two votes for shortening the arms; I'll go ahead and do that. I was thinking of rounding the eyes as well - the nergal iris at the least - but there are many times when Junior's eyes are very oblong. I might round them some and will likely eventually make their almond-ness controllable. Looking at them again, the fingers are quite thin; I'll fix that as well. Thanks for the help!

Postby Etherian » Wed May 29, 2013 8:32 pm

I thought I'd post an update on my model for whomever is interested. I haven't had much time to work on it, but I've made a few improvements.

http://sta.sh/02f4v7trcpep

Junior now has a full skeleton except for his feet. I stole the pelvis from another model because I know when I've been defeated by a piece of anatomy. I also shortened his arms slightly and altered the eyes.

Next, I think I'll convert his hair to a mesh. (You can't tell, but right now his hair is actually made out of thousands of separate strands.) Then I can add an armature, which means I will finally be able to pose him! At some point, he'll also get less ugly shoes and some cool details from Chapter 8's title page, "Next".

Once again, any comments you have, feel free.

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)