Anyone here has an ipad?

This forum can be a scary place, 'cause we got lax rules: let's see your war face. Take a breath, and roll the dice, you might find out we're really nice.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Anyone here has an ipad?

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:49 pm

I have a question.

My gf had hers stolen and she has since changed all her passwords.
However something creepy happens; The ipad has an email software by default called simply "mail".
She had her own email and her father business's email displayed there by default, with the passwords saved.

She has another email app in her cellphone; the same i use, by windows live.

In her cellphone, she keeps receiving emails despite having changed her account's password. The app is not asking her to renew her password, but it did ask ME to enter a new password when i changed my own email's password.

We suspected that her password change request had not passed, so we tried accessing her account via the windows live page, but it turns out her password DID change.

We have no idea why this is happening and i'm very concerned that this could be happening at her ipad's "mail" app too, that who stole the ipad might be receiving her new emails...

I need to know if someone here has one so that you could please change a password of any email and confirm if the app re-asks for it or if it doesn't, because if not then we have to delete constantly every email she receives, this whole situation is terrible.

Please, if anyone can help i'd be most grateful.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Re: Anyone here has an ipad?

Postby Yog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:54 am

Eh, I could help out.

I have a very old iPad from when a customer didn't have the money to pay for his weed.

I'm at work right now, so I can try my hand when I get back.

EDIT: I seem to have misunderstood.

But I know your problem.

You see, the iPad, when using the mail system, will automatically 'push' for data, using the password.

If the password becomes incorrect, it will simply be denied the data.

The way to fix it is simple. Go to your settings, and look for a portion labeled mail.

There, it should give you a listing of your mail accounts. Click on your gf's, and it should have a section on the next page labeled, 'incoming mail server'.

There should be a box for your password. Just delete what's there and type in your new password. Then Save.

Finally, go to your mail app, and press the refresh button.

Tada.

If you want it to automatically get mail again, that's also simple.

In the same mail section of settings, there should be a box labeled, 'Fetch New Data'.

Click it, and it gives you the options of how often you want it to check for mail.

There ya go.

Postby Yog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:13 am

i.e. It shouldn't actually ask unless you manually refresh the mail list.

Then it recognizes that the password is wrong and tells you.

The mail system for a cellphone and an iPad are different.

The iPad essentially has to 'reinput' the password each time, but silently.

Most cellphones, once logged in, stay logged in, no longer needing a password.

If the cell is an iPhone, than I assume it works the same way as the iPad.

My own iPad will not tell me if my password is wrong, it only does when I manually refresh the mailbox with a wrong password in my settings.

:P

I think I covered all the bases. I mean, I kinda still don't get your issue, but I hope I listed a solution/explanation in my long ass double post.

Tell me if there's anything else, or if I'm completely wrong. I'm open to help however I can.

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:32 am

Most of the instructions you gave me imply i have the ipad. It was stolen.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Yog » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:34 am

OOOOOOHHHHHH.

Well, if you don't have it, and you changed the password, then that should be the end of that.

The iPad that was stolen will be denied that mail.

Postby Riz » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:02 pm

Pretty sure Mir said the password was already changed. Basic reading comprehension skills, yog.
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah, i had already changed the password via the windows live website, i wanted confirmation if the ipad would ask for the new password, or if it would keep downloading the new emails without it.

I've looked around a few sites and it seems ipad does request a new password in case the old one doesn't work, so we're a bit more calm now. Also, her cellphone just asked her for the new password, so yeah.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:40 pm

I can't help but wonder what kind of top-secret confidential information your gf receives by email, that the prospect of a 3rd party reading through some of them fills you with such untold terror.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Tuor » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 pm

For the fear of a complete stranger reading personal emails is enough, not to mention the possibility of things like bank statements and the like
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:44 pm

Her personal email is a concern as big as her father's business email because i live in mexico and there's an alarming percentage of the population that makes a living off of other people's misery, my blackmail, threats, kidnapping, raping and torturing, and the information that you can get about a person simply by reading their personal emails is quite sufficient for fulfilling said purposes, not to mention like tuor said, bank account notifications, password recovery emails, detailed client information, files related to thesis and business data, etcétera. So yes, there is a good reason to be scared shitless, at least for us non-ivory-skinned people living in hell-like countries.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:45 pm

In any case that's that.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Return to Wham, Spam, Thank you, Ma'am!