A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Puns, Jokes, and other what-not

Postby Riz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 am

it's a scam
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Valhallen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 am

Riz wrote:I'm pretty sure I read that molecules don't like to touch each other so we are not actually touching anything ever. so if we sit we are not actually touching the chair we're being repelled by the molecules of the chair, so in effect we're floating on a quantum level.
That mostly depends on the specific definition used for "touching", but yeah, that relates to the "various field effects" I mentioned before. Van der Waals effects and exchange interactions in particular. And it's also more complex than molecules not wanting to touch each other. At molecular scales, electron orbitals near each other attract and repel each other due to electrostatic polarization (both from asymmetrical bonds and induced fluctuations in symmetrical bonds). This (Van der Waals) is responsible for things like surface tension, and the particulars of how molecules interact like this are why water mixes with alcohol but not oil, and why Teflon (coated with uniformly highly polarized fluorine atoms) doesn't mix with much of anything. But the Pauli Exclusion Principle also comes into play. It is the reason why electrons form different orbitals, and it also means that two of the same kind of orbital in different atoms can't occupy the same location. When atoms get very close, to the point where the orbitals would start to overlap, exchange interactions act to push them apart, so that the orbitals act a bit like springy rubber balls that bounce off each other. This is what makes solids and liquids relatively incompressible, though large pressures (as found inside planets and stars) can noticeably compress them anyway. Extreme pressure can cause the orbitals to collapse and form degenerate matter supported by a stronger exclusion effect. So like I said, it kind of depends on whether or not that counts as touching.

Postby Vegedus » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:57 am

Anyone know if quantum entanglement allows 'teleportation' - of matter or information. I've heard a lot of conflicting things about it. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, neither matter nor information can move faster than the speed of light, but the "update" happening when entangled atoms are observed happens instantaneous, regardless of distance. But apparently information isn't actually transmitted, or it is, or something.

Point being: Lag free multiplayer with people in Australia, yes/no?
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Q.U. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:38 am

Einstein's theory of relativity, neither matter nor information can move faster than the speed of light

According to Einstein's theory information CAN travel faster than light. Matter, and information energy cannot. For example, the group velocity of a superposition of waves can easily be faster than light.
Signal velocity is usually equal to group velocity (the speed of a short "pulse" or of a wave-packet's middle or "envelope"). However, in a few special cases (e.g., media designed to amplify the front-most parts of a pulse and then attenuate the back section of the pulse), group velocity can exceed the speed of light in vacuum, while the signal velocity will still be less than or equal to the speed of light in vacuum.

Riz wrote:I'm pretty sure I read that molecules don't like to touch each other so we are not actually touching anything ever. so if we sit we are not actually touching the chair we're being repelled by the molecules of the chair, so in effect we're floating on a quantum level.

You mean this?

Exodis6 wrote:Since this has turned into the Science Thread, WHERE THE HELL IS BILL NYE THE FUCKING SCIENCE GUY??

Also, science.
Grey wrote:HEY OTHER WESTERNERS, DOESN'T THAT FUCK WITH HOW YOU THOUGHT SEASONS WORKED?

It did, back when I was 15 and I found out how it really worked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJ4M7tyLRE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX96xng7sAE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84aWtseb2-4

Also, for those interested in untangling the complexity of Grey, here's part one of the science of Grey:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVZQapdkwLo

And part two while I'm at it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNu8XDBSn10

And part three:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrObZ_HZZUc

And even four:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1ROpIKZe-c

I want to see Grey cosplay as The Right Honourable, The Lord Mayor of London.
This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Grey » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 am

I'm NORML and I VOTE
Soul Silver Friend Code: 0260-2900-0828
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby DaCrum » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:05 pm

I'M TOO LAZY TO READ THIS THREAD BUT I WANNA KNOW WHAT THAT BIG OBJECT SCIENTISTS FOUND IS

BECAUSE I'M LIKE 90% SURE IT'S YO MAMA
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Riz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:06 pm

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
with a heart colder than a welldiggers nutsack

Postby Tuor » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:33 pm

YO MAMA'S SO FAT THAT WHEN SHE FELL INTO THE ROAD AND I TRIED TO SWERVE AROUND HER I RAN OUT OF GAS.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Q.U. » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm

This post is intended for information only. Please do not reply to this message as responses cannot be read or acknowledged due to the stupidity of the user.

Postby Valhallen » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:50 am

Vegedus wrote:Anyone know if quantum entanglement allows 'teleportation' - of matter or information. I've heard a lot of conflicting things about it. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, neither matter nor information can move faster than the speed of light, but the "update" happening when entangled atoms are observed happens instantaneous, regardless of distance. But apparently information isn't actually transmitted, or it is, or something.
It allows teleportation of quantum states, which is kind of like teleportation of matter and information but different in rather important ways. You can read about it here, but the gist of what relates to your question is that matter does not move from Location A to Location B, and the reproduction of quantum states from Location A at Location B requires a classical information (lightspeed max) communication channel between the places involved. As far as Location B is concerned, entanglement-based spooky action at a distance isn't apparent until the classical signal from Location A arrives with information about the entangled partner. With that information, the entangled partner at Location B can be given the same quantum state as a particle at Location A, so while the particle hasn't moved from A to B, it's functionally like it has. This isn't useful for a Star-Trek style teleporter, but it is useful for quantum computation.

Vegedus wrote:Point being: Lag free multiplayer with people in Australia, yes/no?
No. Also, the bit Q.U. mentioned about special wave propagation setups isn't useful for transmitting normal communication, and is unrelated to quantum teleportation.

Postby Mir@k » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:48 am

is there any way for things to teleport?
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Q.U. » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:17 am

Difficult to say. Technically it would be possible to scan an object, then destroy it, send the information of it's composition elsewhere and reconstitute it in the same manner. Would it be the same object though? It would have been made of different bits of matter, although of the same kind. Would "teleporting" you like that still re-create YOU on the other end, or would that be someone else is more of a philosophical question than a physical one.

Postby Yog » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:31 pm

All that's required is the digitization of the consciousness, and the brain's contents.

Then, you transfer to new body, and bingo.

There ya go.
Resident Old God

Postby Valhallen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 am

Mir@k wrote:is there any way for things to teleport?
Not really, at least in the Star Trek sense. Real physics has logistical and metaphysical problems, as Q.U. pointed out. The teleporter was put in the show to save money and effort by not requiring people to go around in shuttles all the time, but for it to work the way it does, it should be one of the most powerful weapons/tools in the ST universe if not constrained by the needs of the plot (e.g. who needs antimatter or fusion when matter can be converted to energy so easily?). The energy and control involved in macroscopic quantum-level rearrangement of matter is enormous, and a civilization that can do that should look more like the Culture.

Previous

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens