My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Grieffon » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:46 pm

According to the show schedule (spoiler synopsis):

Episode 9: Spike episode
Episode 10: Fluttershy episode
Episode 11: Another Spike episode

I think it was confirmed somewhere that the last two are a two-part, so no Rarity this season, while Spike get 2 (3 if you consider Crystal Empire pt 2).

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:54 pm

Because the one who defeated Sombre was Spike. F-- yeah~!
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:00 am

What I hope to see in the next two Spike episodes:

I'd actually like to see an episode that focuses on the relationship between Twilight and Spike. I'm in to that kind of thing and I've even drawn fanart for it. I don't know why, but I like the idea of Twilight pretty much adopting a dragon and raising him like its her son or brother. The show doesn't go into stuff about Dragons much and I'd like to see more of it. And I'll say it again. Twilight is never going to send Spike away its cannon so buck that sad comic.

I may be getting a bit into my over active imagination here, but I'd like to see another episode where Spike goes Godzilla again. He could fight with an Ursa Major and Twilight could be riding on his back and it would be awesome and they could get a lot of Kaiju references in it. I doubt it will happen, but I dare to dream. I think the first one is more likely.

I just noticed that both these ideas have Twilight mentioned somewhere in them and not Rarity. I guess I link the family dynamic between Spike and Twilight more than I like the lovey dovey stuff between him and Rarity.

And here's a thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnK0IFyiAts
Bark

Postby Dibullba » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:46 am

The Spike and Rarity thing will never work out obviously. Though I do agree that an episode that delves into the nostalgia for Spike and Twilight would make for an interesting episode. Heck, throw Shining Armor in being the big bro that he is rather than the current fails at protection to make it perfect.

Also had an interesting idea for Rainbow Dash since only Fluttershy and her have yet to reveal parents/family. Essentially the premise is that Rainbow being the brash character that she is does not get along well with her parents. Applejack being a pony with strong morals feels obligated to try and make RD more appreciative of family. It would really play to the characters strengths and potentially give some good laughs.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:53 am

There also might be the potential for an interesting Spike/Scootaloo episode.    If they ever decide to make the rumor(that Scootaloo will never learn to fly) canon, it could be Spike who helps her deal with it since he may be in the same boat. He isnt only an dragon without any wings, he is so far the ONLY dragon without wings (well, the only land dragon) we have seen, and if the greed induced changes are an accurate representation of his future maturity, he does not seem to be destined to get them. So he may be the one in the best position to help her, emotionally   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:21 am

For Mon-Kitsune:

I'd be fine with that. A Spike and Scoot shipping would make more since than him and Rarity who's an adult while he's still a child.
Bark

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:40 am

I think the problem is a little deeper. It's not just that Rarity is an adult, it's that Rarity is an adult who knows she can basically manipulate Spike into anything she wants. She simply has to bat her false eyelashes and give out a few kisses, and Spike is in the cup of her hoof. Spike isn't in love with Rarity, he is obsessed with her, she's his goddess, and Rarity is a belle dame sans merci. That relationship never ends well. I was actually thinking an interaction between Spike and Scoot that was less amor than caritas, but I can sort of see what you are getting at as well.
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:15 am

t's that Rarity is an adult who knows she can basically manipulate Spike into anything she wants

I can already imagine an episode on this... I'm not fond of the idea.
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Dibullba » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:29 pm

Postby Grieffon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:19 pm

Beautiful animation for a future tumblr:

Makes me remember those old but high quality anime movies.

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:50 pm

How you said it reminds you of anime and the music in it puts me in the mind of a Miyasaki animated movie. Not just the music, but it features both a flight scene and young love which is something Miyasaki likes to put in his movies. The director once mentioned that he simply adores flights scenes. Even though its an unfinished work is still quite stunning, I love how the pencil look and how the characters look in flight.
Bark

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Holy crap, that was amazing o_o Positively stunning. And that's just a little taste. I'm wondering how well this new tumblr will do with such an opening like this.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 am

No sign of leaks from itunes yet, hopefully it will stay that way.
Already happened. Darn it itunes.

HD stream link

Postby J-Dude » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:48 am

Saw the leak.

Yeah, sorry guys, but I frequent derpibooru a lot, and I don't do well with skirting spoiler pics, so watching the leak as soon as possible is the best thing for me to do, even if the vid quality isn't what I'd like it to be. Plus, I have work in the morning.

Neat episode, lots of good stuff.

The writing was particularly interesting in this one. Rarity, Rainbow and Applejack all got some nice facetime with each other. The scene in Rarity's house was great.

Pinkie SHINED in this episode for the tiniest bit that she was in it. One fantastic random moment, and an adorable moment where she demonstrates that she's a terrible actress with no poker face to speak of. Plus, I might be wrong, but it's probably the first real interaction Spike's had with Apple Bloom, outside scolding the Crusaders for messing up the Library in S1.

I don't particularly feel the episode is fair to Spike. Maybe it's just that he's not familiar with a lot of tasks beyond the library, but he's never really shown to be "bumbling" the way he's portrayed here. It really feels like he's suddenly becoming a Derpy-level hazard when all past evidence has shown him to be a diligent and effective assistant.

More worldbuilding in the "Dragon Code," both in outlining dragon behavior, and in the fact that evidently Spike uses his tele-flame to do more with documents than send them to Celestia.

Also worldbuilding in expanding upon Timber Wolves. Looks like they're some kind of golem comprised of tree matter, perhaps a living representation of the forest's own malevolence. Seems that "killing" them doesn't mean much. Still, quite the anticlimax, the timber wolves reforming into a super-wolf and being beaten by Spike tossing a rock into its mouth... LAME...

Also lame... *sigh* The 3D animation used for the wolves. It's not that it's particularly bad, it's that it feels INCREDIBLY out of place. The wolves are cel-shaded with big black finalToon sort outlines, and as we know, FIM is not the kind of show that generally uses thick black outlines in its art-style. Outlines are always done with a darker variation of the object's color-scheme. It wouldn't even have been THAT hard to accomplish with the method they used. I must say son, I am disappoint.

Still, benefit of the doubt, maybe they decided to give the CGI a shot, the colored outlines looked undesirable or indistinct, so they went with black because they ran out of time. Hopefully, any further use of 3D elements will be better applied, using this as a learning experience.   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:09 am

Not gonna watch it early like I did last time (be it was only an hour or two early), so I'm just gonna wait it out.

Also, found a comic with an irregular parody.

Anyone know what it's from? Anyone? Guesses?
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:59 am

Haha, brohoof at the end.   
Marquis de Soth

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:15 am

Intersting episode, especially considering what I said earlier (about Rarity knowing she could get Spike to do whatever she wanted if she but asked. One could almost imagine exacty that situatution ocurring here. All that would have been neccecary was for AJ to simply say that it would help her if Spike did whatever Rarity needed doing (say pretend that she had promised Rarity that she'd give her a hand that day) Of course that would go against her own moral code (actually now that I think of it, this episode is the closest "nomal" AJ has ever had to get to lying. Maybe the time under Discord's spell has some lasting pyschological effects). In some ways this episode was the classic "Immovable object versus the irrestiable force" dilemma.   

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:21 am

J-Dude wrote:Also lame... *sigh* The 3D animation used   for the wolves. It's not that it's particularly bad, it's that it feels INCREDIBLY out of place. The wolves are cel-shaded with big black finalToon sort outlines, and as we know, FIM is not the kind of show that generally uses thick black outlines in its art-style. Outlines are always done with a darker variation of the object's color-scheme. It wouldn't even have been THAT hard to accomplish with the method they used. I must say son, I am disappoint.   

I think the animators mean to make them look out of place, to emphasize the fact that they come from the most unnatural place of Equestria. In fact, there's one show that utilized out-of-place 3D perfectly

Image THE MAN IN GAUZE! THE MAN IN GAUZE!

So I have no complaints about the 3D. It's a clever thing actually.    Though choking the wolf does feel a bit lame   , it fits the funny atmosphere of the episode.    And at least they didn't go with the cliche idea that Spike will not recognize the fake wolf.   

Anyway, episode link: 1080p
Alternate link, since I heard the itunes one have some audio issues: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GBmNp-VlVY&hd=1

Postby Biostar » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:07 pm

Darn, I was hoping we would see some development of Spike's fire-breathing ability. Perfect defense against the timber wolves.

Speaking of them, I'm thinking that they're the spirits of wolves that were enchanted by the forest. Very nice element to consider.   

Postby Saint Soul » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:21 pm

DID NOT LIKE THE EPISODE.

1. NO CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
2. very boring and standard plot.
3. nothing to really learn from this.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:07 pm

Thoughts on the episode:

1: Holy shit! Did    AJ just kill those timber wolves!? Oh wait, no she didn't   

2: RD and AJ are writing novels?

3: So Spike can    take care of things at Twi's library, but put him on a farm and he's just... that. I guess we can now add him to Ponyville's list of living weapons, right along side Dash and Sweetiebele.   

4: Twilight's OC shows up in regards to misaligned ink holders.

5: That    Timber wolf trick was funny as hell, the moment I saw that thing come out of the bushes I was laughing even harder than Dash, who by the way does a really good roar. She also got to smash up rocks which didn't leave a scratch on her, left her loopy though. I guess after you take down a giant robot things like that come easy.   

6: At least we got some Twi and Spike fluff, but no Spikezilla, sad face.    The ending was just begging for a giant monster fight.   

7: Holy shit!    Did AJ just kill those timber wolves!? Oh wait, no... Dammit.   

8: Oh look Twilight    Teleported. Now why doesn't she used like a magic cannon or something to fuck up the timber wolves? Your little dragon brother is in danger girl stop running away in terror and kick some ass.   

9: Hold on...    Did Spike just touch AJ's butt! (the "back rub") You sly little bastard.   

10:    Giant Timber Wolf!   

11: Holy shit! Did Spike    just kill that giant timber wolf!? No really did he, because those things have come back from the dead twice now.   

12: I'd also like to talk about the animation in this episode. I noticed that they seemed to have a bigger budget for this one and they were trying out a new things and is it just me or did those timber wolves look digital. The did a lot with Spike's expressions an movement. In fact there hardly isn't a scene where the characters are not moving. It a very lively episode that has a kind of energy to it. I found it enjoyable to look at from how slightly different it was. And I agree with what Grieffon said about the timber wolves it does give them an out of place and supernatural feel to them. And thanks a lot for getting that song stuck in my head again.

On a side note: Sir Soulchild, has there been any episode you did like? You don't seem to like anything lately. Not giving you shit for your personal tastes, but I would like to know what episodes you did like.
Bark

Postby Saint Soul » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:54 pm

that up there is for Plot A. i dont have any opinions of side plots. i dont give opinions on that.

Most of the episode were good. some less spectacular. dont feel like divulging. i save that type of divulgence for when im reviewing the entire season as a whole.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:08 pm

"I have an opinion but I'm not going to give it"

Come on dude, if you're going to post, actually contribute something.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Saint Soul » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:32 pm

Postby Dibullba » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm

Three comics this time:
Ponyclopaedia
WMD: Weapons of Mass D'aww
I Died Laughing at this One

Edit: Welp, just found myself a new screensaver

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)