My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Hey folks, cut out the gender/yoshi conversation. This isn't the appropriate place for that.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Because things don't quite feel like the holidays around here:
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:43 pm

(I won't spoiler this since I thinks it's barely related to what the episode was about, but feel free to edit me if it is not so)

I saw this interesting theory regarding Applejack

1. Applejack subtly implying that it’ll be Granny Smith who’s absent from the next family reunion.
2. The exact timing of WHEN you see the two shooting stars, compared to what Applejack was saying.
3. I feel like Applejack’s behavior during the episode arose from her not being over her parents’ deaths, as well as her anxiety towards the approaching inevitability of Granny Smith’s death.
4. Actually I think this might be behind Applejack’s workaholic attitude as a whole.
5. Granny Smith and Applebloom are close to their cousins. Applejack doesn’t seem to like Braeburn very much.
6. Of the three siblings, Applebloom is the most talkative. She’s also the only one that wouldn’t remember her parents.
7. The lack of photos of Applejack’s parents — Nayuki confirmed that the portrait on the wall wasn’t them.
My new headcanon is that Applejack NEVER got over her parents’ deaths, and couldn’t even cope with it. She buries herself in her work to hide her feelings, and while she is affectionate and protective of her family, she’s also emotionally distant.

Applejack has never had a mental breakdown scene because she’s ALWAYS broken down, mentally.

That is quite depressing, but it certainly clicks with what is shown so far.

Now that Applejack's parents are confirmed dead, I have a theory about Rainbow Dash's parents. It's very strange that her parents hasn't been mentioned so far. They weren't there when she entered the best young flier competition. When she was hospitalized, they didn't visit or even send a get well card. On Dash's side, she care a lot of about getting attention, and seem to have a fear of being alone (Mare Do Well, May the Best Pet Win). Because of that, I believe Rainbow Dash's parents are either dead, or very neglecting.

Actually, with Fluttershy and especially Scootaloo's parents have also not been shown, it is possible that pegasus possess bird-like behaviour, which means as soon as the foal reach the fledging age, they are on their own (not all bird species behave like this, but it seems to be common).

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:30 pm

When its put that way I can see how people can see it that way, but I still prefer to think that with her parents gone AJ is trying to be as mature as possible and keep herself together since her and her brother are the basically the main care givers who have to take care of Apple Bloom and maybe on occasion Granny Smith even though they're quite young themselves. Assuming the main 6 are adults AJ still has to have just become a full grown mare and taking care of a family at such a young age can take a toll on someone, but she still takes it in strides and handles things very well I think.

As for the theory of RD's and Scoot's lack of visible parents I still just assume they just haven't appeared or been mentioned. It hasn't stopped some people from making fan art and fics of Scoot being an orphan and I once heard a rumor that RD might have been adopted, but I could be wrong. The only reason I haven't tried writing stuff like that myself is because I'm still practicing writing.

On a side note what is it about RD and Scoot that makes us want to come up with these kind's of backstories. Sure the other characters aren't immune to this, but RD and Scoot seem to have the intense stuff happen to them the most. They're two of the most popular characters in the show and yet we show our love for them in this way. I don't know.

Now to take your mind off of this talk about RD and Scoot possibly being orphans and AJ's dead parents here's a picture of a cute little Twilight:
Awww.
Bark

Postby Grieffon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:28 am

Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash often fall into the subject of orphan because among the main characters, they are the only ones without any kind of family shown (for Fluttershy's case, the animals can be considered her family). Sadness is the easiest way to draw out emotions, so they are usually the target of grimdark work.

I manage to dig up this ancient video, Code Geass ending theme with pony (testing video embedding)

He also recently made this, but not quite as good: Shakugan no Shana ending with pony

And here's a random video with rather cute animation.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:34 am

I found some really lovely videos about the fandom.

Official Trailer - Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony

really looking forward to seeing this next month.

And Bronies - 2012
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:04 am

Grieffon wrote:Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash often fall into the subject of orphan because among the main characters, they are the only ones without any kind of family shown (for Fluttershy's case, the animals can be considered her family). Sadness is the easiest way to draw out emotions, so they are usually the target of grimdark work.

And here's a random video with rather cute animation.

Well, since we are spouting theories about what happened to AJ's parents, allow me to present my own.

My thoery is that maybe AJ's parents are not the ONLY ones who passed on. While there are a lot of clan members around Sweet Apple acres (though it is possible that only AJ, Applebloom, and Big Mac are permanent residents, and all of the others we see live elsewhere and simply come by frequently) there don't seem to be all that many ones that look all that much older than AJ herself. Based on the way she looks and acts, AJ seems to be about her early to mid 20's (human years). Even Big Mac doesn't act all that much older (30, tops) In fact the only two really legtiamately older Apple clan members we have seen (or at least seen since the current episode, where we saw Clan members from over the whole of Equestria) are Granny Smith and Apple Strudel (who are both old enough that they'd have to be Grandparents of any of the one's we've seen not parents). So my theory is as follows, at some point in the past (after Applebloom was born, but not much) there was a massivean incredible rainstorm, that swelled the resevior and threatend to burst the dam and destroy Ponyville. The older memembers of the Apple clan managed to cut a channel to divert the water away from Ponyville (Ponyville was after all created by Celestia's charter to them, so they probably feel keeping it in once piece is thier responsability). They saved the town, but were unable to get out of the way when the dam actually did burst, and all drowned. In otherwords, AJ didn't just lose her parents, the Apple clan lost a whole generation.
And as for the others, I tend to think that Fluttershy does have parents, but they basically disowned her when they disovered she was such a weak flyer. It would fit with her personality, the extreme passivity and the overwhelming desire to never cause anyone else pain almost screams of a childhood marked with not just bullying by peers, but abuse at home. This also manifests in her love and kindess to animals, the love they showed her when she got her mark is probably practically the first real, unconditional love she ever experianced. And those occasional bursts of real rock hard toughness (the old "I was hurt so bad I will be damned if I EVER let ANYONE be hurt in my sight again")
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:16 am

Mr. Sefrol wrote:I found some really lovely videos about the fandom.

Official Trailer - Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony

Oh god, wow~ Seriously? Nothing describes my amazement!

Mr. Sefrol wrote:And Bronies - 2012

Bronies - 2013 please
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Witch Haru » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:09 pm

Mr. Sefrol wrote:Official Trailer - Bronies: The Extremely Unexpected Adult Fans of My Little Pony

ok this is BEYOND amazing! i must see this ♥

so merry christmas eve guys

here's a bunch of links now~
The herd is ever expanding, isn't it?
Best sisters
Little Villians
In the night
Five second rule
Art // Literature // Tumblr // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Tuor - Black lipstick must be messy
Yog - Stay strong, Haru
That chick from that place

Postby Grieffon » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:05 pm

Christmas set from Tuyla

Vinyl
Octavia
Twilight
Dr Whooves

It's Christmas, and also my birthday! Merry Christmas!

Postby Mad-Mutt » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:58 pm

For Grieffon:

Wow, if having a birthday this time of years isn't a blessing then I don't know what is.

Here's the cutest Christmas Pony I could find that hasn't already been posted:

Bark

Postby Marquis de Soth » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:46 pm

I knew keeping Woonastuck followed even after it finished would pay off eventually.

Marquis de Soth

Postby Grieffon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:43 am

@Mad-mutt
Thank you, I really like this date as my birthday. My brother also has a special birthday, Oct 31st :D.

I just read the episode 11 synopsis, it sounds like the most insane and also the most interesting idea in FiM so far. Spoilers synopsis + my theory

Princess Celestia tasks the ponies with reforming Discord, a mischievous spirit of disharmony, but Fluttershy is the only one who is willing to give him a chance   

Now this sounds like a good Fluttershy episode. It focuses on what she is truly is, kindness, instead of what she tries to be - assertiveness. In Return of Harmony, Fluttershy was the only whom Discord had to directly "reverse", and combines with her element, she is the only one suitable for the job.

Discord can't be imprisoned forever, and the next time he is free, he will no longer underestimate the elements wielders. Had he been serious, the mane 6 wouldn't have had the chance to beat him, so dealing with him once and for all is probably the best thing to do. Similar to how the elements didn't work when the mane 6 no longer resembled their elements, I suspect Discord will also lose all of his chaos power (otherwise, who can stand up to the protagonist with Discord's power on their side?). This also raise another theory: Discord is perhaps Starswirl the Bearded. At the end of The Crystal Empire, a book with a starswirl symbol was shown, and that is supposed to be Twilight's next level of study. Who would be better to teach Twilight that book other than Starswirl himself?   
Last edited by Grieffon on Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby J-Dude » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:46 am

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2012/12/keep-calm-and-flutter-on-synopsis.html   

Holy fuck...

Holy fuck...

HOLY FUCK!!!

Merry Christmas, bronies all! I do believe this is about as satisfying a gift as the FIM staff could have provided...

EDIT
God damnit Grieffon, you ninja'd me!
Last edited by J-Dude on Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Grieffon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:56 am

@J-dude
Put spoiler warning on your link, and please read my theory if you please. This is getting me excited, and I want some discussion.

Also here's how the youtube tag work: [youtube] (RGn1TlBLm0w) [/youtube] (remove the space and brackets).

Postby J-Dude » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:55 am

Grieffon wrote:@J-dude
Put spoiler warning on your link, and please read my theory if you please. This is getting me excited, and I want some discussion.

Also here's how the youtube tag work: [youtube] (RGn1TlBLm0w) [/youtube] (remove the space and brackets).

Ulgh... Fine, spoilered the link as a precaution, but I don't for the life of me know why. The link URL doesn't exactly give anything away...

Anyway...

Not sure how I'd feel about Discord actually being Starswirl. I'm not even sure it makes sense, because I seem to recall Celestia saying that Discord and his chaos pretty much ruled the world until they came into the picture. That seems to imply that he's existed for a VERY long time, even by alicorn standards.

I'm not sure how it would fit in with my fic's canon, since I only JUST addressed the whole Starswirl, Luna, Celestia thing in the most recent chapter, and it would SUCK to be caught in a lie like that. There's only so much an alternate timeline premise can fix...

Still, I'm going to assume that Fluttershy succeeds, since that sort of thing is kinda how this show rolls. And... well... I worry.

I like Discord. Hell, I LOVE the guy, he's a great character. I'm just afraid that in being reformed, he'll lose the part of him that made him so compelling.

I'm sure none of the writers are fool enough to make him less than he is. Hopefully he'll be an agent of chaos still, just more of a mischief maker than someone who makes everyone's lives unlivable.

I just wonder how it'll be handled. I watched one animatic someone did where he was only PARTLY freed from stone so Celestia could make a deal with him. I mean, you've got to have some manner of CONTROLLING him if you're going to set him loose.

And my last worry... Discord, well... he's kinda omnipotent. I mean, if he's a good guy, he's like the ultimate weapon. I'm not so much worried that he'll be a Deus Ex Machina in the show, but I do worry at how enthusiastic fanfic writers will end up including him in their stories and have to make up reasons that he can't just snap his fingers and save the day.

It's like Genie from the Aladdin movies and TV show after the first one. He's this big silly GOD BEING who can basically do whatever the hell he WANTS, and the only real way to sideline his usefulness is with bullshit reasons that will come of contrived writing. Oh, he's off in THIS place and we can't get a hold of him! Oh, the villain is using a so-and-so spell, and it's neutralized his powers somehow!

It's like, what the hell does Celestia need TWILIGHT for if she's got this guy working for the winning team now?

The ONLY damn way to reconcile this is to keep Discord as a sort of "chaotic-neutral" or "chaotic-good," like Q, helping out when he feels like it, but remiss to spoil the fun by ending the show. He's more inclined to help than to hurt, but he's also a fan of fair play and drama. Oh why should I untie you from this train track? Then I couldn't see how you'll pull off your escape!

And of course, while I expect better from the devs, I get the feeling we'll see at least ONE major "Han Solo blows up Vader in the Falcon" moment out of this.   

So yeah, excited, but this is the sort of thing that needs kid gloves.
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mad-Mutt » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:13 am

Hold on..

Discord is coming back, already!? Holy shit! I'm really hoping they don't turn him into a good guy. I prefer him as a villain.   
Bark

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:32 am

Is this legit? Where did they get the info?
"Screw the social dogma of the intended demographic. If the show is for little girls then that makes me a bitch." - PanPizza
Not-an-animator

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:21 am

My thoughts
   In favor of the "Discord is Starswirl" Theory is the fact that, on Nightmare night, Luna INSTANTLY reconginized Twilights costume as being Starswirl when literally no other pony did. Given how important Starswirl was (beyond being the greatest wizard, he was after all advisor to the Unicorn kingdom at the time of Equestria's founding, and hence pony most ponies should sort of know (from all those Hearth's Warming Eve's pageants). This seems to indicate to me that Luna may have known Starswirl personally i.e. Starswirl was still alive when Luna was born (that was a long time ago, but the founding of Equestria was even LONGER) There are other explanations (there are portaits of Starswirl somewhere in the palace (actually there'd sort of have to be, for Twilight to know what he looked like) or someone used the time travel spell (since Luna and Celestia are more powerful magic users, maybe they can make the spell last longer)
And I think the Fluttershy thing is interesting in that she is actually the one who has the greatest risk in trying to help Discord. As you mentioned, Discord had to magically "force" Fluttershy to reverse. Because of that, I sort of think the reversal didn't wasnt exactly as complete as some of the others. Reversed AJ didn't just turn into a pony who lied now and then, she turned into a pathological liar. Rarity went almost insane with greed. Pinkie Pie went almost suicidially depressed. And Fluttershy......turned into a bid of a bully. That isn't nice but it's not really the reverse of being near pure kindness. She said some mean things, but we know from later episodes that, when she goes down the wrong path, she can do that anyway. So I think part of the tension in the episode is that, if Flutter Fails, Discord could re-whammy her and this time get it right, so that we have not Fluttershy the bully but Fluttershy the Sadistic, willing to hurt others physically as well as emotionally (Yes, yes I know they couldn't actually show Fluttershy beating up other ponies and stomping her animals to a bloody pulp, I'm just saying that that kind of darkenss is the TRUE face of a cruel Fluttershy would be)   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Grieffon » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:58 pm

Kusang_Manalo wrote:Is this legit? Where did they get the info?

I thought you would know if it's legit. Episode synopsis from Zap2it has always been correct since season 1, so I think it is the same this time.

Double Rainboom promo + trailer. Due to the spoiler shown, I wouldn't recommend watching the trailer part though.

Postby Kusang_Manalo » Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:26 pm

They could have at least when episode 10 aired. But that's just me being picky. :/

@Mon-kitsune: About fluttershy being a "sadistic" bully, it's one of those circumstances where even the kindest person can be the most horrible person you'd ever meet. We all know that she's a doormat, being bullied even as a filly. It's only a matter of time Shy kicks back. Discord just happens to speed up the process.
Not-an-animator

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:59 am

Kusang_Manalo wrote:They could have at least when episode 10 aired. But that's just me being picky. :/

@Mon-kitsune: About fluttershy being a "sadistic" bully, it's one of those circumstances where even the kindest person can be the most horrible person you'd ever meet. We all know that she's a doormat, being bullied even as a filly. It's only a matter of time Shy kicks back. Discord just happens to speed up the process.

No argument from me. My only point was the "Bad" Fluttershy was not, in my opinion, as "bad" as she probably should have been under Discord's spell; the writers tempered her to make her still acceptable to be shown. Though now that I think of it if they HAD totally flipped any of the ponies, they couldn't be used on the show either (Imagine a Pinkie so depressed that she was actually actively suicidal). Actually, I suppose that given that all Discord flipped was her kindness (not her passiveness) she should have turned passive-agressive, or developed a martyr complex. Actually that might be a Flutter episode down the road, all of the being trod on causes Flutter to begin to develop a moral masochist mentality (i.e. since everyone takes advantage of her (and they do) she starts to wonder if she deserves to be abused, and the whole episode revolves around the rest of the case trying to convince her she is valued).

Postby Grieffon » Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:24 pm

From Wonderbolt Academy's script. I know the time for each episode is limited, but they really should have put this in.

Postby Dibullba » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:07 am

Grieffon wrote:https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A_E48PyCEAAC93h.jpg
From Wonderbolt Academy's script. I know the time for each episode is limited, but they really should have put this in.

I fully agree. That one slight detail at the end just destroyed the episode for me and made me realize a lot more flaws with Merriweather's writing.

Postby dj1107 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:11 am

Pizza mozzarella, Pizza mozzarella, rella rella.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)