My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:54 am

Magical Ponies that learn life changing lessons, and forget about them an episode or two later.

You're welcome bro.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 am

That's pretty much any cartoon show out there without a continuing plot.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:42 am

Actually, the only one who isn't consistent is Fluttershy. Applejack was willing to accept help from others after Applebuck Season. Rainbow Dash was seen reading books here and there after Read it and weep. Rarity can now toss aside her "lady" demeanor to have fun with her sister (latest episode). Twilight went from complete meltdown because of her imaginative tardy to being able to stay calm after getting defeated by Trixie. Fluttershy is just random.

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 am

Well yeah, MLP is one of those cartoons that is good with continuity, just like Adventure Time.

But they do forget a few things that could be done instead of what the script wants to to make a story/scene work, often involving Twilight having an answer spell to the situation from a prior episode that isn't utilized. Examples being fixing the dam with magic, but not the Main Hall roof or not catching Discorded Rainbow Dash with magic by the tail done so before. Another inconsistency is that even though everyone supposedly learned a lesson about boastfulness from season one with Trixie's first appearance, season 2's RD episode with her becoming a hero and becoming very cocky and a showoff sort of shows the opposite spectrum of what Twilight did in Boast Busters.
An Optimist

Postby Lady Haru » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:34 pm

ImageImage
Tumblr 1 // Tumblr 2 // Facebook // Dreadful Comics
Alopunk - Haru, you are 200% a cutie patootie
Your Queen Your God

Postby Marquis de Soth » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:38 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Magical Ponies that learn life changing lessons, and forget about them an episode or two later.

You're welcome bro.

Obviously they can't just remove a character flaw an episode. You would end up with a cast of Mary Sues and that would make for a very boring show.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:34 pm

we have G1-3 for that anyway.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Lady Haru » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:03 pm

ImageImage
Your Queen Your God

Postby Grieffon » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:30 pm

Let me get my holidays avatar.
Ok done.

Other that that, no, I'm not looking forward to Christmas this year. No point for that if I can't spend it with my family.

Anyway, here's a Christmas set from Crenair
Fluttershy
Rainbow Dash
Applejack
Rarity
Pinkie Pie
Twilight
Luna
Tia
Cadance

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:34 pm

I just saw that yesterday... I always loved those eyes he makes...
An Optimist

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:17 am

Xyro is not streaming this week, so I'll just post the episode link here. I will put my comments after watching.

1080p link
Last edited by Grieffon on Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:00 am

Another excellent episode.

It was great to see some familiar faces in the recruits.   
Marquis de Soth

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:16 am

Best Rainbow Dash episode so far.

Rainbow Dash didn't let competition get the best of her, and she, the most passionate out of the six about their dream, was actually willing to give it up. The academy is probably just preparation in case there's a spot open in the Wonderbolts, otherwise Rainbow Dash would be one by the next episode.

Drill sergeant Spitfire is understandable, but it would have been nice to show some continuity. She is not even remotely the same as the previous episodes, and she doesn't seem to remember Dash. Other than that, seeing Roid Rage and Cloud Kicker is nice, but speaking about that...   

The worst thing about the episode: No Derpy. It is likely that they have pulled her out completely. Quite a shame.

Postby J-Dude » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:49 pm

The one question left to my mind is... well, what now? They never really made it clear how far you needed to go to be a Wonderbolt. I mean, passing this bit of training can't be it.

Also, as much as I appreciate seeing characters like Cloud Kicker and Thunderlane show up again, (and Jesus, Roid Rage wasn't a one-time character?) I feel like they kinda cheapen the standards of becoming a Wonderbolt if even THEY could be accepted to the basic training, given the episode they appeared in outlined their prowess as pegasi. No wonder Dash didn't have the slightest doubt she'd get in...

But again I ask, now what? This feels like the sort of thing you'd follow up on in continuity, but unless you have episodes where her absence is explained by "she's at the academy for the day" I don't know how they'd do that. Interested to see, anyway.

That said, I really liked how they handled Rainbow in this episode. I expected her to get mean trying to compete with Lightning Dust, but the two of them got on GREAT up until her new wingmate started getting less "Maverick from Top Gun" and more "Maniac from the Wing Commander movie". Seeing her be the sportsman one and sticking to her principals was nice, and it showed a lot of growth for her since, say, Fall Weather Friends.   
Harry intentionally used the occlumantic link to see Voldemort's thoughts. He was flicking lit matches at Lucius Malfoy.
"Your pain bores me," said Darth Nonose. "Go fetch Severus. I have some death for him."
Wazit_Blade: "Gah! J-Dude just invaded the thread!"

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:50 pm

Grieffon wrote:Best Rainbow Dash episode so far.

Rainbow Dash didn't let competition get the best of her, and she, the most passionate out of the six about their dream, was actually willing to give it up. The academy is probably just preparation in case there's a spot open in the Wonderbolts, otherwise Rainbow Dash would be one by the next episode.

Drill sergeant Spitfire is understandable, but it would have been nice to show some continuity. She is not even remotely the same as the previous episodes, and she doesn't seem to remember Dash. Other than that, seeing Roid Rage and Cloud Kicker is nice, but speaking about that...   

The worst thing about the episode: No Derpy. It is likely that they have pulled her out completely. Quite a shame.

Probably, but not certainly. You have to remember that    there is one key difference between the group in this episode and that in the last. The group in the waterspout episode consisted of literally EVERY pegasus in Ponyville, they literally drafted EVERYONE to help get the water up. Whereas this group consisted of those who had been accepted for training from Ponyville (and presumably, other Equestrian cities). For Derpy to be in this episode, she'd have had to 1. apply to Wonderbolt, and 2. Be accepted. It's not like every pegasus is REQUIRED to apply to the Wonderbolts (if it was, you'd have expected Fluttershy to go as well). In fact, with her lazy eye, Derpy may not be acceptable for the Wonderbolts even if she DID want to join (to keep the military idiom going, Derpy may be 4-F) Though the Wonderbolts seem a bit liberal on that point, if Roid Rage got accpeted (he can fly, but we have seen he isn't exactly the fastest or most coordinated flyer). And we already know Ponyville has multiple postponys (if the argument is that she should have been the one to deliver the letter.) So all I am saying is, the fact Derpy wasn't there this time doesn't mean she is gone for good   
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:00 pm

My little pony, my little pony~

Linked due to being slightly spoilerific.

So yeah, watching this I am also displeased    Derpy didn't show up at all... again... I'm really scared now...   

But this still was a great episode for RD's development. She was way overdue for this.
Last edited by Mr. Sefrol on Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
An Optimist

Postby punzil504 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Might as well keep it all spoiled.

So many pegasi, and no Derpy. She didn't even have to be there for the academy. She's a background pony... she could have made an appearance anywhere.

I think my favorite part was Fluttershy falling to her doom... because she forgot she had wings. The "WTF" look her rescuer gives her is priceless.   
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:42 pm

@Mon
Derpy's appearance has never been based on logic. We have seen her coming out of a well, a chicken coop, and even inside a snow globe. She can appear just about anywhere.

Oh well, we still have the official comic for that: comic spoiler. And it doesn't even have to stay subtle like in the show.

Postby Lady Haru » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 pm

i really loved this episode!

from the moment i saw Lightening Dust, i thought that she looked and acted just like Rainbow Dash, which was cool....
then she became reckless and rude, not at all like our RD; honestly, she was kind of a b*tch, right?
i really like how she has a lightening bolt train behind her, though. this shows not only Rainbow Dash can leave a trail in the sky

i was surprised by Body Builder Pony indeed, but it was pretty funny that he got accepted with such tiny wings

also i really enjoyed the designs of alot the bg ponies we see, not just the trainees that are with RD, but like the ones when she first got there and such

overall, i REALLY love how they are developing Rainbow Dash's character, but don't we all?   
ImageImage
Your Queen Your God

Postby Marquis de Soth » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:24 pm

Personally, I'm glad that there was no Derpy. What made her charming was that she was a background character. I enjoyed the speaking role that she got last season but I think making her semi-regular rather than an easter egg lessens her somewhat.   
Marquis de Soth

Postby Mad-Mutt » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:29 pm

Random thoughts on this episode:

Holy sh(yay)t! Rainbow Dash    has become a wonderbolt    that's cool.

I would not be surprised if there was a jump in PinkiexDash fanfics after this one    through out the whole episode Pinkie seems really... close to Dash. I still say they're just friends though   

In time we'll see shipping fics between Dash and the newest character, its just common sense.

Yay Meat Head is back! Who do I refer to as Meat Head, watch the episode and take a guess. And if the fandom has already given him a name I was not aware of it.

Who I think of when I look at Spite Fire now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... TagU#t=14s
This video may be a minor spoiler... I think.

Now for my not so random thoughts on the ending:
   I don't want to seem like I'm disappointed that RD became a Wonderbolt because I'm glad she is, but the ending I thought they were going for was her quitting and moving on, which at the time I thought would be a mature and real feeling ending that she chose to turn her back on what she wanted when she saw it wasn't what she really wanted it to be. Sure we did get that when she confronted Spite Fire at the end and like I said it is cool she's a Wonderbolt, but dammit did I think it may had been better if she didn't become on provided they did it right and it didn't feel like a copout. Then again the fact that RD is a Wonderbolt now may make the series more interesting   
Bark

Postby True Order » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:31 pm

Sigh.

WHY AM I NOT ENJOYING THIS LIKE I USED TO?!

Anywho.
   Rainbow Dash being a boss yet not afraid to take a stand, brightly showing her element: kudos kudos.

Lightning Dust: A bitch indeed but she has quite a kick ass name.

Spitfire: Did her voice change? I feel like her voice changed...

Lack of Derpy: T_T You will be missed....

Abundance of ponies from Ponville: a'ight but seems weirdish, only about 3 of them were from elsewhere.

Mane 1 through 5 being saved by cloud without use of a cloud walking spell. Meh, Maybe it works since the clouds were squished together, perhaps giving it a lot more solidity. Whatevs, nobody is perfect. NOBODY!

Did ya notice that one pony when they first showed the academy? The darker colored one with the bright orange stripe in her mane. I think she might get some fan attention, maybe.

Overall nice episode though I yearn for an adventurous one.   
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

Postby Grieffon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:59 pm

@Mad-mutt
   Rainbow Dash hasn't become a Wonderbolt yet. It was a training camp that lasted for 1 week, there is no way becoming a Wonderbolt would be so simple. It was simply for choosing potential material, and then train them in case a spot is opened. Dash becoming a Wonderbolt, if ever happened, would be the last episode. She must have a goal to strive for throughout the series.   

About Spitfire, is really was a different VA.

And that pegasus appeared in the beginning has already been given an official name: Midnight Strike

(Those probably doesn't need spoiler right? They don't give out any content of the episode)

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:03 pm

Haruhi5 wrote:i was surprised by Body Builder Pony indeed, but it was pretty funny that he got accepted with such tiny wings

Affirmative action? Actually that could explain why Thunderlane got in as well (with his ganglier than normal build and spiky upright mane, I keep wondering if he may be part zebra   

Mad-Mutt wrote:Holy sh(yay)t! Rainbow Dash    has become a wonderbolt    that's cool.
Actually    she isn't not yet at least. She got promoted to lead pony on the team, but that isn't the same as actually being a fully graduated Wonderbolt. This was a week long training academy; there is no way that is all that is needed to be accepted into the Wonderbolt corps. Not to mention that her becoming an official one would be an episode in and of itself, as Pinkie would have to deal with RD being permanetly gone (being a Wonderbolt is a career, remember; she enters the corps, she leaves Ponyville for good.)   

Mad-Mutt wrote: Yay Meat Head is back! Who do I refer to as Meat Head, watch the episode and take a guess. And if the fandom has already given him a name I was not aware of it.

According to the MLP wiki, his official name is actually Snowflake
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Postby True Order » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Grieffon wrote:And that pegasus appeared in the beginning has already been given an official name: Midnight Strike

Ha! I knew it. God! I hate when groups I somewhat associate myself with become predictable, makes me feel out of place.

Thank goodness this isn't a purely gaming fandom otherwise I would have found the redundancy loop of time consumption by now. Not that I'm ever happy when I do find one.
"Finish what you started human!" - Kamaji from Spirited Away
Overthinker

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)