And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVIII!

Enter At Your Own Risk (Shit Gets Cray Cray).

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: And the good lord sayeth: Come forth The Talk Thread XVI

Postby Yog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:27 am

It's depressing.

I actually was excited for Dishonored, which looked amazing.

And it was amazing. But not to the degree that I wanted it to be.

On the other hand, I like when games break my misconceptions, or shoot through my low standards.

Black Ops 2 was surprisingly good for me.

Not as good as most games, but definitely one of the best COD games in recent history.

The Darkness was a game that I saw and thought, lame, but than played. My jaw fell off that day.

I have a bit of a workaround, though, for our issue. Do not look at a game, as a game, now. Look it as a story.

It helps me defeat that sort of rut that I was trapped in along with you guys.
Resident Old God

Postby Love.Dreamer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 am

I always enjoy games regardless...
Hiroko: You monster.
Seriously a Lady.

Location: its none of your concern, you pig in human clothes.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:40 am

Tuor wrote:Hmmm, so is it the games that are coming out are not as exciting, or is it just the age that we're at?

Whatis6times9 wrote:I think we have become jaded because I think we actually have another era of really good games but have lived through so many good games and games that redefined and expanded what we expect a game can do that we aren't awestruck by anything.

Agreed. We've set high expectations for games because we've all had a few that we hold dear to our hearts.

That, or we get too nit-picky about games. I've been noticing that a little bit.

You could also argue that games these days mostly have a 2 or a 3 or a 4 attached to them, and fall into that triligoy problem were nothing will ever be as good as the first.

Postby Yog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:52 am

Don't forget 4. For Halo 4, derp.

How is that game, anyway? I know that critics are giving it sloppy bjs, but I seriously can't tell if it's good or not.
Resident Old God

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:03 am

I don't think the first is always the best, it tends to vary with the series which is the best.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby EagleMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:50 am

Yog wrote:Don't forget 4. For Halo 4, derp.

How is that game, anyway? I know that critics are giving it sloppy bjs, but I seriously can't tell if it's good or not.

People are saying the multiplayer is good but I still find it a little barebones. The DMR is the go-to weapon so it's a little overpowered compared to the other weapons, vehicles are squishy (which you may or may not like), and I haven't really found the customization to be that deep or good.

It also lacked a crucial feature like being able to coop with other random online players.

Plus there's only two decent maps that always get voted up, Exile and Ragnarok. Though the gauss rifle Warthog on Exile is pretty overpowered so blue team (it only spawns on their side) usually has the advantage unless people are idiots about it (I've had the vehicle destroyed several times because people were mad they didn't get on it).

I don't see enough in it to keep me coming back for long, though I've never been hardcore on the FPS genre either.

The Cortana/Chief storyline in the campaign was compelling but I found the overall story with the enemy lackluster and the enemies limited and repetitive.

So overall the multiplayer does tend to get stale quickly as most of the time the DMR (or Battle Rifle) is the only weapon worth playing with (besides weapon pickups).

Postby Yog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:02 am

That's what I thought.

Thanks, EM.

I've been playing Borderlands 2 by myself, using the Mechromancer class. It's pretty fun, but I don't recommend playing alone. It's a game that's MEANT to be played co op.

I think it's good. But it can get a teeny bit repetitive. They compensate by the funny as hell dialogue, and the legions upon legions of enemies sort of put you into this state of desperation, where it's not too hard, not too easy.

I'm enjoying it so far.
Resident Old God

Postby Love.Dreamer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:15 am

The iron and hemoglobin levels in my blood are low.
Hiroko: You monster.
Seriously a Lady.

Location: its none of your concern, you pig in human clothes.

Postby EagleMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:25 am

If you played the other Halos a lot then Halo 4 should do you fine otherwise I don't think it'll keep you enthralled for as long as other games could.

Postby Tuor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:27 am

Hmm, I played Halo 2 a LOT, but I didn't play 3 that much
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:33 am

Did you play 2 a lot with friends? I find Xbox multiplayer isn't as good for me anymore since a lot of my friends don't play anymore and I'm not going to be making friends with the young teens. If you've got a few good friends or just a lot of friends playing any shooter game like that it tends to be a pretty good experience regardless due to the social aspect.

Postby NeoWarrior7 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:38 am

Is it just me, or is our error 500 a lot nicer these days?
For the Greater Good

Postby Tuor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:49 am

EagleMan wrote:Did you play 2 a lot with friends? I find Xbox multiplayer isn't as good for me anymore since a lot of my friends don't play anymore and I'm not going to be making friends with the young teens. If you've got a few good friends or just a lot of friends playing any shooter game like that it tends to be a pretty good experience regardless due to the social aspect.

I did play the multiplayer a lot with friends, but I also quite enjoyed the campaign and would often play through it by myself. Something about 3's campaign was not as captivating.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:52 am

I don't know why, but I still get the biggest kick out of games. Not as much as I did when I was half my age, but it's still pretty darn close. But I think I don't play as many games because of the internet, and the fact I don't look forward to playing games after a long day like I used to because I'm in control of my life now. I can do it whenever I want. So... it kind of eliminates that need to do it when I can because I can any time.

Does that make sense?

P.S. Anyone any good at fighting games? I'm feeling pretty down on my skills.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:08 am

It does make sense, things obviously get less fun when you can do them whenever you want. Me, I'm still usually busy with school and school work, so I love when I can have time to just play games for several hours.

I dislike fighting games a lot. Probably because a couple of my friends are really good at them, and I could never catch up to their level, so I never had a good time, and eventually just gave up trying to play them. I mean, I'm ok at Super Smash Bros, but that's about it.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:23 am

I'm pretty good at SSB ever since the first one. It was simple enough to get things down (Fuck yeah, Kirby). But games like the MvC series or Street Fighter I can never get super good. I just end up mashing buttons in a pinch and that's not how you play... With MvC2 and Darkstalkers 3, I've played them for years and I can do decently... but for current games that I'd want to go to a tournament with friends I just choke up.
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Hiryu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:27 am

Dunno about you people, but I still get way too excited about games I get.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 am

i bought the humble bundle, i already had darksiders. The key only works for me right? I can't gift that specific game to anybody.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:43 am

I don't mind though. I just wanted metro 2033
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:47 am

I think you can use the keys on steamgifts, there's loads of copies of Saints Row there right now.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Mir@k » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:51 am

You only get one key though, and it redeems all games at the same time.
Well, two keys (one for saints row) cuz if you pay more than the average thing and shit.

I have a buttload of games that i'll never play.

I'm very tempted to pay full price for lego lord of the rings, but i think i'll wait till the xmas sale begins to see if they do a discount on it.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Hiryu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:04 am

Only games I have that I haven't played are from bundles.
Got Home and MacGuffin's Curse along with Sam and Max, haven't played it. Gratuitous Space Battles, Shatter, Space Pirates and Zombies, Jamestown along with Dustforce, Wizorb, Vessel and Rochard, only played these last 4.
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Yog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:36 am

I loved Marvel vs Capcom.

I used to kick complete and total ass with Shub-Niggurath.

I also used Anubis and Red Riding Hood. Sort of the reason why I like Red in EverAfter.
Resident Old God

Postby Hiryu » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:39 am

There was a new Blackadder sketch last night.
http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2012/11/2 ... dders_back
ImageImageImage
GET A LOAD OF THIS
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Yog » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:16 am

Christ.

2 days nights without sleep.

Somehow I'm still functioning.
Resident Old God

PreviousNext

Return to BeeAre's Undesirables