Powerpuff Girls Return? Edit: False Edit2: True?

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Powerpuff Girls Return? Edit: False

Postby punzil504 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:12 am

Clumsy Smurf's accent could have been considered controversial.

Rosso Rose wrote:The point of the discussion was that popular shows such as PPG and MLP could go downhill with the re-occuring appearances of a popular but non-major character like Derp as well as a character who was only meant to appear for one episode like Bunny. Both of these weren't even intended to even be so popular among fans in the first place, and one of them was partly due to an internet meme and in that case was so unintentional.

I find fandom either way to be dangerous and harmful to a show's success overall based on the discussion.

The Rowdyruffs are an example of one episode characters who were brought back... YMMV on how successfully it was done.

And I suggested Transformers because of the sheer number of times it keeps getting rebooted. G1, G2, Beast Wars, Shia LaBeouf, Armada, Animated... I mean, the only constant between reboots seems to be that Optimus Prime dies at least once. Talk about a broken base.
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby Wulfespinndel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:43 pm

There are some fans of Transformers that also believed that the series was ruined due partly to the death of Optimus too. It is unfortunate that a plot point like that has become a re-occuring event in Transformers reboots. I wish that Transformers could get rid of that for once and instead do an actual passing of the torch between Autobots. And this time, Hot Rod better be trained to be a leader rather than just be given the matrix all of a sudden. I would have loved to see Ultra Magnus come out of his shell as a City Commander to becoming the Autobot Leader. He was a Peterbilt truck too.
"Give yourself permission to immediately walk away from anything that gives you bad vibes. There is no need to explain or make sense of it. Just trust the little inner voice when it talks to you." ~ unknown
Previous Quote
This too shall pass.

Postby punzil504 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:34 am

Rosso Rose wrote:There are some fans of Transformers that also believed that the series was ruined due partly to the death of Optimus too.

I was six when the movie came out... it was traumatizing enough for me that I refused to watch the movie for years after that. Then I find out that it was an excuse for Hasbro to replace most of the cast with new toys, and (if that weren't enough) that they did the same thing with Duke in G.I.Joe, but sue to the Optimus Prime backlash they quickly retconned it similar to Sven's "death" in Voltron.

I hated Rodimus Prime... the fact that the matrix has handed over to him because it was his "destiny" was way too Sword in the Stone for me.

But now we've kind of skewed the topic a bit too far off course, so I need a PPG comparison...

A reboot where Blossom was KIA, Bubbles replaces her as the leader and Bunny is somehow reformed to replace her? Nah, too Charmed. And we already did the PPG Beyond scenarios...
Still preoccupied with 1985

Postby TheLivingCouch » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:02 pm

Well for those of you guys hoping, this may not be so dead after all. I was listening to a Q&A session at a pony convention in California earlier today, EQLA to be exact. Believe it or not, a question came up about the rumors going around that PPG is supposed to be returning. Imagine my surprise when I heard this as her response. "I know a little bit about that, but I can't tell you anything at the moment."

If that isn't confirmation of at least something going on I don't know what is. Will post a link to a video as soon as I get one.

Postby Grieffon » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:43 am

I was at EQLA and yes, that sounded as if she is not working on it right now, but it may be a future project.

Postby TheLivingCouch » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm

And here it is not that the interview is up. The PPG question and the answer from Faust.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... K4#t=2137s

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:07 pm

Am I the only one that doesn't care about this?

Lets look at this, this means nothing until we see pics or previews.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby TheLivingCouch » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:11 pm

True, in the grand scheme of things it means very little. Until we actually see something concrete speculation is just that, speculation. Still, comments like this however provide reason enough to hold out hope. It means there are at the very least talks going on to bring it back so we have that.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:42 am

On the other hand as well, just to keep playing devils advocate, how old are we all again? I was like six or something when PpGD cam out or whatever, and I'm 21 now. Isn't time to move on with life and watch better things then childish cartoons?

Yes they are great, I loved Dexter's Lab and other shows like that and have a very fond memory of them, and of course still get the occasional kick out of something my sister might be watching (Don't you dare go after me and the Avatar series). But when given the choice between this, and say, a new episode of NCIS or House, I'm going with the more grown up thing because it appeals more to my life now then Grim Adventures. I think therre will always be an honor and respect for the series. Indeed that same respect is what piped my interest here because cartoons that I loved were taken a few years into the future into crossovers and "What If" situations. Not to mention they have an more adult theme.

Bottom line, don't you think its time to move on to a little bit more grown up stuff?
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:04 am

what about enjoying both? cuz i damn well do.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:59 am

Of course there is that, but you failed to answer my question(s).

I wish to again point out that I'm just playing devil's advocate. Personally, I don't care what you watch. Others though, would share the view point that I have expressed.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:59 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Others though, would share the view point that I have expressed.
Wow, Blood. I never thought I'd say this but you are completely right... and I do mean completely. Though to you this probably means very little coming from me, I'll say it anyway.

I've always had a hard time fully justifying watching children's cartoons, to the point of me simply not doing it. It's not that I think they are bad, that is just about the opposite. I mean, look where I am. Look what I am posting- look at my fan-fiction for Pete's sake.

But there has always been a little something that nags me away from it. Since then I've gotten into enjoying House, Dexter, Weeds and recently; Homeland- thought I hear some people want me to start on Doctor Who. (Cough)

And while the shows that have inspired me will always be held dear in my heart, I know that simply watching them over and over is kind of... eh, for lack of a better term; a waste of time. The only bigger waste of time I could think of is watching 'new age' kid's cartoon shows. Currently- I do neither, unless it involves my little brother forcing me to watch something 'funny' on his show.

I respect the writing and satire of Gumball and the characters as well as the world of MLP, but I don't think they should be considered a respectable pass-time for adults... under any circumstances other than amusing/humoring younger siblings or children.

Also Blood, I don't remember exactly when you went on your religious journey or whatever, but since you've been gone there has been an explosion of Kid's shows dominating the internet- if you couldn't tell already. It has led me into more than a few pointless fights on the internet arguing the point of it all... but it seems like I am somehow the minority.

I don't know when this happened, but I'm almost intimidated by it. If it's this now, what could it possibly be in five years? I'd love to discuss this more, but there is a time and a place for every wall of text, and this one is running Its course.

If you want to speak more on this subject that I am incredibly interested in, hit me up... sure, I won't be holding my breath here but it would be interesting to hear your side of this to say the least.
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Saint Soul » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:45 pm

heres a question: why do you need to justify watching cartoons? is it bad, do you feel ashamed?
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:57 pm

Sir Soulchild wrote:heres a question: why do you need to justify watching cartoons? is it bad, do you feel ashamed?
Honestly? Yes. I'll say it, Yes.

There are cultural weights that hold me down and prevent me from even enjoying them anymore. I'm sure people have other reasons for what they do to either justify or not watch at all, but that's mine.

Shallow, yes. Two dimensional, yes. Predictable, Fuck yes- but there it is, and just because it's obvious and shallow doesn't make it any less omnipresent in my opinion.

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:26 pm

I can't find my House Avatar. I Am. PISSED.
All well, this will just have to work.

Birdofterror wrote:Though to you this probably means very little coming from me, I'll say it anyway.

Actually it means a lot to me. I have no problem with you Bird. whatever happened in the past has happened, lets move on and be friends.

Birdofterror wrote:Since then I've gotten into enjoying House, Dexter, Weeds and recently; Homeland- thought I hear some people want me to start on Doctor Who. (Cough)

Look into Elementary. That's a good one too.

Birdofterror wrote:Also Blood, I don't remember exactly when you went on your religious journey or whatever,

Two years ago.

Birdofterror wrote: I'd love to discuss this more, but there is a time and a place for every wall of text, and this one is running Its course.

If you want to speak more on this subject that I am incredibly interested in, hit me up... sure, I won't be holding my breath here but it would be interesting to hear your side of this to say the least.

I would venture that this could be an appropriate place to do so. The topic of discussion is cartoons.

Reading what you have posted, I agree with it. I have noticed the explosion in cartoon's lately, I think that is just a fire-back response to all of the live action kids shows that are storming the toon channels everywhere. There is a level of cultural weights that hold this topic down. I think a lot of them find release by watching animes. They are still cartoons, but more grown up. I also very it as a waste of time. Hell, I should be working on a Dragon Age RPG right now instead of this.

Sir Soulchild wrote:heres a question: why do you need to justify watching cartoons? is it bad, do you feel ashamed?

No, you are doing this wrong. You are to answer my question first before you can continue your exploration into the side I represent in this matter. Simply because there is no other response of defense on the supportive side of more mature individuals watching remade cartoons intended for little kids, I cannot continue to justify my position while yours remains undefended. I will be more then happy to answer your questions as soon as you reply to mine.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:55 am

Blood Lord wrote:Bottom line, don't you think its time to move on to a little bit more grown up stuff?

Well, here's my personal view. This probably sounds weird, but I don't watch cartoons as an adult, I watch them as a kid. With all the things happening in life, I quite enjoy living as a child for 30 minutes a week watching MLP. I can say that the childish joy it brought back help me live a bit happier.

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:40 pm

And that is a just way to "wind down" towards the end of the day, or whenever you need to use stress relief.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:31 pm

I'd love to say that I wouldn't have a problem with Moderation at this point, but then I'd have to draw the line all over the place and I wouldn't be able to keep track of myself.

I don't know... my personal gripes against people who do that shouldn't be spat out in hate to prevent people from enjoying the ends of their days... but-
Grieffon wrote:I can say that the childish joy it brought back help me live a bit happier.
I don't want to be the person to be blowing the horn in random directions, but isn't that the very definition of Escapism? Finding comfort in the past instead of the present or future? Especially if it is implied that you are generally set on 'unhappy' and MLP sets you to 'happy?'
Blood Lord wrote:Actually it means a lot to me. I have no problem with you Bird. whatever happened in the past has happened, lets move on and be friends.
You're gonna make me blush, haha.

Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:53 pm

I don't want to be the person to be blowing the horn in random directions, but isn't that the very definition of Escapism? Finding comfort in the past instead of the present or future? Especially if it is implied that you are generally set on 'unhappy' and MLP sets you to 'happy?'

Hmm. Yes. Yes it does.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Grieffon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:09 pm

Birdofterror wrote:I don't want to be the person to be blowing the horn in random directions, but isn't that the very definition of Escapism? Finding comfort in the past instead of the present or future? Especially if it is implied that you are generally set on 'unhappy' and MLP sets you to 'happy?'.

No, when I said "with all the things happening in life", mean that I sometimes they make me tired, kinda like "ugh", but in no way I am unhappy. I guess you can say that it's escapism, but my life is not so bad that I'm generally "unhappy" and need MLP to get "happy". It just makes me happiER.

Postby BeeAre » Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:42 pm

All fiction is escapism, but good fiction is escapism with a relevant point of opinion being communicated by the author to their audience. That opinion, the overall arching theme of the fiction, is the thing we enjoy when we indulge in it.

I also personally argue that non-fiction is escapism, too. Any story you hear about but are not directly involved in makes you consider yourself in relation to that story idea, even as if it had or is actually happening, in order to further justify your own values to yourself.

Frankly, escapism to me is just another word for preoccupation, specifically with a task that has absolutely no bearing on the basic survival of the individual.

All hobbies. All TV. All news. All games.

All there to pointedly relate an emotional state through specific circumstances. Some of them good, some of them bad, all of them instructive and more information with which to add to your brain for the betterment of your intellect so as to help your basic survival.

Thus the discovery of things through playing, experimenting, and observing, and then modifying these things to make them more personal to us.

I consider the mature ego to be one that wants to help others in order to fulfill its desire: wanting to help people because it makes you feel good. There is no avoiding the solipsism of the goal being the driving factor for you doing what you do in life: you do things that you want to do because you think they will be better for you. This is not RATIONAL self-interest, by the way. This is impulsive irrationality, that leads to linking paths of rationality to get to where you can manifest reason for the purposes of making yourself feel better.

This irrationality is predictable, having patterns that arise despite the originally irrational decision, and thus can be aimed and directed usefully. In the case of some people who find comfort in the concept of a cartoon, they invest some of their emotional joy in that particular medium of a story with its specific emotional contexts.

That's why some people watch cartoons, even when they grow up. I wasn't sure what questions you were asking, Blordy, but I decided to give a pretty thorough lowdown of my thoughts on the subject.

The subject being thoughts on subjects, thus irresistible to me: my post is metaphysical. I love me some meta-posting. :0)
Snafu Comics' Forum Alpha Bro, Staff Writer, Editor, Image, and Keeper of the Jar Brain of Secret President. RIP Ku Ku Ku \(-^.^-)/ U Wuz A REAL N***A!!!!!!!
"We're quite aware of this. BR is no happy rainbow face man. He is simply our neighborhood best fucking poster." ~ Warbear
最後の撃は。。。切ない。Puff Most Epic.
Ladies and Gentlemen, The:
BR

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Eh, for the same logic that could be said that makes everything secondary to survival escapism could be said to disprove the very meaning of the word escapism itself.

I don't think people here are unhappy because their survival is threatened though. The things that caused us to feel unhappy was probably due to taking away or altering something that made us happy in the first place.

Superfluous reasons to 'Escape' from something else superfluous- another 'Escape.'

Using that logic, money could be escapism. Human interaction not directly correlating to procreation could be escapism. Drinking to forget or dull these escapes could be escapism. Go deep enough and just about everything we do to identify ourselves as individuals could be escapism.

Being a sapient, sentient being could be escapism. By that logic the word escapism when cutting that deep would be more meaningless than the time it takes to type the word escapism.

:?

Bird oft Error

Postby Blood Lord » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:27 pm

BeeAre wrote:I wasn't sure what questions you were asking, Blordy, but I decided to give a pretty thorough lowdown of my thoughts on the subject.

You nailed them. I was just curious as to why some choose to still watch cartoons meant for kids, while they are adults. I thought it would be interesting and so far it is.

I see no problem in needing to escape from things. Though question peoples choice of escape. We all need periods of time when we step back from our life, entertain ourselves, and then go back to doing whatever we do. Its a good thing. Sometimes we do it by ourselves, sometimes we do it with others and go see a movie or go on a vacation. It recharges the batteries so to speak. For some it is collecting stamps, for others its reading history, or watching MLP, or doing lawn work.

To a degree it does bother me a little bit that people do things to inject more happiness in their unhappy life. I don't like unhappy people. For instance, lets say that a job makes a person unhappy and their escapism could be watching MLP, or hunting, or fishing, or making bricks. I think the person should spend more time resolving the situation bring in unhappiness, then finding an outlet. More of a priority thing maybe.

I don't think very many people can do the same thing for an extended period of time, and be expected to maintain decent performance. Eventually, quality suffers. I think having an outlet, or a period of rest where you are still doing something ,but not that thing, is a good thing...

I hope I'm making sense here...
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Numa430 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHKDwWGpptY&feature=plcp

Proof that Powerpuff Girls is getting a reboot.
Under the bed

Postby Grieffon » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:38 am

An even more definite proof: read the first 2 comments.

PreviousNext

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)