Disney buys Star Wars

Primary discussion forum. Also, feel free this use as a hangout for fans of the funny non-story based comics.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Disney buys Star Wars

Postby GridsNaranek » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Big news on the webz is that Disney's bought Lucasfilms and intends to release Star Wars eps 7, 8 and 9 starting from 2015.

I'm no major Warsie and I reckon the newer trilogy was already rather Disneyfied, but are there any hardcore SW fans in here who have heard this news? What are your thoughts?

I await Star Wars on Ice.
Bloodsguar Studios member

WE ARE ALL GRIDS

Re: Disney buys Star Wars

Postby Tuor » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:39 pm

Personally, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm cautiously optimistic, considering The Avengers.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Senel » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:54 am

Early rumors are placing Star Wars 7 possibly thousands of years past the Skywalker clan.

This could possibly be great.

Postby WiNg0o » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:50 am

Or Disney could realize that they can save the franchise with one character:
Last edited by WiNg0o on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Killed the Boss

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:44 pm

I'm interested to see what will happen. Its not like they can screw it up worse the Lucas already did.
Stufflikehearts - He is a Sith Lord. I love Blood Lord :3
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby achthenuts » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:44 pm

Rovio got the copyright, now Disney got copyright......

:\
Last edited by achthenuts on Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I heard you don't accept god
I don't accept fandom/shipping/mary-sue
This is not EVERY users.

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:36 pm

Seriously, what is the worst thing they could do?
Jeffffey - Blood, you look at the information someone says, look over what really happened, and reply in a way that makes them realize what they were really thinking.
Light10s - Blood Lord! Your avatars are becoming more epic. You make me feel like getting on all fours and submitting my loyalty and obedience to you.
Fievel - Numerous campaigns and conquests, countless bodies decaying after the abandonment of victorious battlefields. Such is the life of Blood Lord.
Dusk_Imp - Blood Lord is like a celebrity here. Everything he does is pure awesome. ALL HAIL BLOOD LORD
Doctress Who - Why couldn't there be a Blood Lord in every forum? It would make life so much easier.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Marquis de Soth » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:07 pm

I've still got my old VHS of the original release of the first trilogy and those will always be the true Star Wars movies in my heart. I'm going to treat this new trilogy like I treated the last one; it will be a summer blockbuster to just turn my brain off while watching and enjoy the pretty lights. If it turns out to be really good, well hey, that's just gravy.
Marquis de Soth

Postby Saint Soul » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:08 pm

I*'m with holding my opinions for now.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Spoopy Princess » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:22 pm

Tuor wrote:Personally, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan, but I'm cautiously optimistic, considering The Avengers.

THANK YOU.

God dammit, so many people are freaking the fuck out. No one can fuck Star Wars up anymore than Lucas already has. Calm yo' tits, bitches.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Whatis6times9 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:37 pm

I actually think putting a team in charge who loves the franchise would be better than letting Lucas stay at the helm and do whatever he wants with no one to filter out bad ideas.
ButtStuff: I love you, too.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DaCrum » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:55 pm

"The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years."

The last part is important.
I've got good faith in Disney to actually do a good trilogy of films, but if that is supposed to mean that they are going to indefinitely release Star Wars films every 2-3 years... Well I think that's a bad idea.

Update:
George Lucas is going to be a creative consultant on the new films, so he won't have any major parts such as writer, director, or producer. I think this is a good thing, personally. so woo. The executive producer is to be Kathleen Kennedy who has a fairly reputable repertoire of produced films under her belt, but also has some... bad decisions as well. So personally I am optimistic about it right now. I really want to wait and see who the director is because that can probably be the biggest turning point in the film, next to the casting call.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Grey » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:01 pm

as has been stated: the dancing on star war's grave has already done all the potential damage to the legacy of the originals that could ever be done

i can only be pleasantly surprised because i have no optimism toward this
Suave Brit

Sexiness: Godlike

Postby Yog-Sothoth » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:34 am

Wow.

I just learned about this.

Well, I really used to like Star Wars, til George Lucas screwed it into oblivion.

So, even Disney is a healthier alternative at this point. Besides, I enjoyed The Avengers. And I usually hate Disney, so for me to actually begin enjoying their productions must mean that something changed. A step in the right direction.

So, if Star Wars is part of Disney's journey to become better than they are, than I approve.

As long as they don't screw up.

I wonder what other major things have happened in the last two months.
Resident Old God

Postby Yoshi » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:02 am

I am honestly excited about this. One, can't be worse than Episode 1. Two, Disney is actually very good at not ruining established things.
"Worst case scenario I'll get arrested for public nudity.
Best case scenerio I'll get arrested for public nudity with a boner. It's win win.
" ~ Dave
"Also Yoshi is the most important person in all of Australia." ~ Zepherin

Postby Numa430 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:28 am

Under the bed

Postby Rival » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 am

Numa Katzroy wrote:Good news!

More like old news mate. It's been known since January 25th:
http://starwars.com/news/star-wars-is-b ... e-vii.html

Even your news item is January 26th. And I don't know, I'm pretty neutral on Abrams, he did some fun movies, but none of his stuff ever wowed me. His Star Trek got much acclaim, but I didn't think it was very memorable, seemed to me he just took an already popular(at least in North America) setting and action-flicked it. That's not a way to revitalize SW since most people complained the prequels focused only on visuals and ridiculously choreographed action.

Plus, on top of the new trilogy, Disney's supposedly planning to make a Han Solo movie and a Boba Fett movie, both released in-between the trilogy:
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/05/s ... fs-disney/
http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/02/06/s ... boba-fett/

Sounds like overkill and market oversaturation in the making, to me. I know it worked for Marvel(so far), but I don't think SW can support as many movies without people getting sick of the setting.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:15 pm

I disagree with that.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Rival » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Blood Lord wrote:I disagree with that.

With 3 Star Wars movies causing people to sour on the setting for a time or about Abrams?

If it's the former, the health of the franchise might look different in North America. If the Boba Fett movie does great worldwide, that'll prove me wrong for sure, since that character is far more popular in North America than the rest of the world.

If it's about Abrams, then, you know, opinions.
Stanisław Lem wrote:I hadn't known there were so many idiots in the world until I started using the Internet.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:21 am

I should have been specific.

Rival wrote:If it's about Abrams, then, you know, opinions.

Yeah, there is really nothing you can do about that. I expect him to do well, since I thought he did well with Star Trek. But there have been director's that I am pleased with that utterly destroy the stuff I like, such as M. Night Shyamalan with Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I think its funny that William Shatner is calling foul on Abrams for doing both the Star Trek and Star Wars movies.

Rival wrote:With 3 Star Wars movies causing people to sour on the setting for a time or about Abrams?

If it's the former, the health of the franchise might look different in North America. If the Boba Fett movie does great worldwide, that'll prove me wrong for sure, since that character is far more popular in North America than the rest of the world.

It was this. I think if they do a Boba Fett movie and a Han Solo movie, that they will do quite well. I think the fan base is hungry enough, at least here in North America. However, I would suppose that those movies depend entirely on the success of episode 7. Disney has a good track record with franchise-to-movie projects and I have a difficult time seeing it getting any worse than it is whenever George Lucas is behind the wheel.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Saint Soul » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:40 pm

theres always Micheal Bay.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Ohh hells no. I hate his directing, like that shaky camera crap in Transformers. I couldn't tell what was the ground, sky, Megan Fox's boob, or megaton's hand.

Besides, bro is directing Transformers 4.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Saint Soul » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:23 pm

thats still not good for me cuz thats my main show and he's killing it.

Postby Rival » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:32 pm

Blood Lord wrote:Besides, bro is directing Transformers 4.

Well, technically Abrams will be doing some more Star Trek in the future too, I'm sure. Didn't stop him from doing SW.

But yeah, I agree Bay is unlikely to have been in the running. Disney clearly wanted someone considered "classy" for a lack of better word.

Postby Blood Lord » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:35 pm

Yeah, not some whose too cheap to buy stabilizers for his camera.

Yes, I am aware of the purpose of the shaky camera shit, but that isn't going to stop me from making fun of it.
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Next

Return to Snafu General Discussion