Snafu Therapy Thread. *TRIGGER WARNINGS* This topic is under Mod protection

A Free And Independent Scotland.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: Snafu Therapy Thread.

Postby DaCrum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:21 am

I guess I don't think of it as self harm since the intent is not necessarily to cause pain to myself. I mean, this is not the first time I've done this to my knuckles, nor will it be the last. It is a typical occurrence during sparring training, especially when it had been as long as it has been since I had trained.

Will I tape a picture of myself to my punching bag again? Probably no. Will I punch it again? Well, it's called a punching bag for a reason.
Escape will make me God.
65124_134_12++[CMND PRAMA +49c2]

Postby Mir@k » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:22 am

Your jaw is not a punching bag.
24 Karat
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby DaCrum » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:23 am

Oh. Well that, yeah. I'm not doing that again.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Spoopy Princess » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:46 am

Wow, guys. Just wow.

Birdofterror, you're 100% welcome to post here, as long as you don't have ignorant posts*.

*See certain posts in here.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Spoopy Princess » Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:53 am

DaCrum wrote:I guess I don't think of it as self harm since the intent is not necessarily to cause pain to myself. I mean, this is not the first time I've done this to my knuckles, nor will it be the last. It is a typical occurrence during sparring training, especially when it had been as long as it has been since I had trained.

Will I tape a picture of myself to my punching bag again? Probably no. Will I punch it again? Well, it's called a punching bag for a reason.

Don't punch to the point where you're bleeding, you may not mean to cause harm to yourself, but you are. I saw your knuckles, I think you're an idiot for going that far, but I can't really judge you because I used to self harm. I don't care what other people's views of it are, they can judge or do whatever they want about it, but like I've said to you before "NO ONE knows what you are going through." I can relate on certain things, because I've been in similar situations, and we've talked about this before. But no one can ever know what you're going through, no matter how hard they try to understand. All I can do is try to suggest a better way for you to unleash your stress/anger/etc. Like I said, play games, you can punch your punching bag, but if you are bleeding? Stop. Do something else. Go run on a treadmill instead. Just don't cause harm to yourself.

Hell, even just jump onto Skype and talk to me. Just send me a message on FB, and I'll hop on as long as I'm not busy.
Tuor: You foolish fools, no one can tame the stuffaluffagus!
Whatbutt: She's got enough tea to throw into a harbor and start another revolution.
All Men Must Die
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Valhallen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:55 am

Or use tape / wrap / gloves.

Postby Rough Giraffe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:02 am

Or tape small woodland creatures to your hands.
A little bit Ruff around the edges

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:44 am

Well, I'm safe for now from getting kicked out of the house... For maybe a week or two...
"Cogito, ergo es eggo." A.K.A. "I think, therefore you are a waffle."
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:17 pm

I have no clue how to interact with my sister anymore. She's extremely irritable and sensitive pretty much all the time, especially with my mom and I'm at a loss.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:09 pm

It's really hard sometimes, I get you. Anything my brother sees as condescending that I say to him, and he'll be fuming about it for hours. Or if I tell him to do something, he'll put it off. Then when I remind him he'll get furious saying you're rushing him. Just yesterday, we went to eat something healthy, but he was complaining and acting snooty because earlier I cut him off when he was saying something. But then he doesn't let anyone get a word in edgewise, so it's hard to avoid. Someone will start saying something, then he'll start to do so at the same time and get agitated. It's just... very tiring to talk with him trying to tip toe through a conversation.

How old is your sister? Does that have to do with it? Or is she older?
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:15 pm

She's 16. It's not like I'm even telling her to do chores or anything like that. It's really noticeable with my mom, where she pretty much seems to take anything my mom says the wrong way and flips out about it, or else replies to questions my mom asks her in a really hostile, disrespectful tone.
"Suddenly Frodo noticed that a strange-looking weather-beaten man, sitting in the shadows near the wall, was also listening intently to the hobbit-talk. He had a tall tankard in front of him, and was smoking a long-stemmed pipe curiously carved. His legs were stretched out before him, showing high boots of supple leather that fitted him well, but had seen much wear and were now caked with mud. A travel-stained cloak of heavy dark-green cloth was drawn close about him, and in spite of the heat of the room he wore a hood that overshadowed his face; but the gleam of his eyes could be seen as he watched the hobbits."
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:21 pm

Yeah, sounds about right. It could be just the generic rebellious phase. Or do you know of any cause for her actions?
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:23 pm

I guess, it seems like more than that though.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Yog-Sothoth » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Nah. Every kid has a phase where they're hostile toward everyone. Your sister will be ok. If she does have trouble with something, though, all you can to do is be there to help her up when she falls down.

Good luck, dude.
Resident Old God

Postby Mr. Sefrol » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:31 pm

Oh, hey. Haven't seen you in a while, yog.

And yeah, that's pretty much it. Me and my brother started our hostile phases early. Hopefully he'll be over it in his early teens. As for you, Tuor, just be supportive, but don't let her walk over you if the situation arises.
An Optimist

Postby Tuor » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:34 pm

My siblings never have, and never will "walk all over me", my brother hasn't and my sister sure as hell wont, that's what being the oldest is all about.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Tuor » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:35 pm

I'm waiting for people to realize/remember something about my sister.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 am

I remember you had mentioned something about your sister but it's foggy. Was it self-harm related?

Postby Tuor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:01 am

Ding ding!
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby EagleMan » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 am

It could just be a combination of both things, a problem combined with normal teenage irritability. This is why it is difficult to discern issues with teenagers. They are already liable to mood swings so it makes it difficult to determine if there is an actual problem or not. However, given her history, you'd probably be on the safe side to try to learn what the problem is. Maybe she's purposefully trying to drive everyone away out of low self-esteem, rationalizing to herself that they're better off without her. Maybe she's having a hard time at school. Maybe it's just one of those things. Maybe it's any combination thereof.

But trying to pry into a person to learn what you need to know is often close to impossible, especially with a teenager. Maybe you could just say, hey sis, you've been acting different lately, is something up? She'll probably say she's fine or whatever. Then you just let her know you're there if anything's up she wants to talk about. If it's one of those phases she'll get along fine, but if there is a problem, she might tell you. But even as a brother this information may be difficult to get. She may only share such things with her friends. If she doesn't open up, and if the circumstances apply, try to get in contact with any of her friends to see if anything has changed in her life that she isn't telling you about.

Or you can try to ascertain if she's self-harming more surreptiously. Is there a pool or jacuzzi nearby you guys can use? Obviously it's Canada and approaching winter, but maybe someone can heat something up. If she demonstrates hostility to this idea, it may be because she doesn't want to dress down which would reveal more marks of self-harm. Or any other way you can get her to dress down in a socially acceptable way.

You can also suggest to your mom that she should make her go to a physical. She might only be able to trust a doctor who has no bearing on her life with information about herself. She might not feel safe opening up to friends, family etc., basically anyone involved in her life. If she goes in for a physical, she might be willing to share something pertinent to the doctor about her physical/mental health status. So then the doctor might be able to convince her to tell the family and get help, or she might be able to get treatment without having to open up to the family and be embarrassed, either way she gets help.

Postby Tuor » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:23 am

Well, she already wound up at the hospital a few months ago, so I already know about the self harming, and I know that it's quite extensive on her arms for sure. During the whole summer she wore hoodies.

I don't really know what else to comment on. We're not particularly close, so I'd feel like it would be really obvious what I was trying to do if I suddenly started talking to her. I don't know if she knows, that I know, she self-harms.
Rest Easy Ethan

Postby Musicmac » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:43 pm

late night advice is late

set up communications, do not ignore her during such phases as it may only serve to promote even more unsettling results and futures, try and understand her point of view, let her win from time to time and teach her stuff, share memories and bonding times if possible.

i repeat, DO NOT IGNORE THIS

getting angry or frustrated with her in such a state might come to you often as the best of reactions, but try and control it, which might just serve as the proper indicator for the message that if everyone else is currently chill enough to deal with stuff around them, she should at least be trying too

this post might sound somewhat gibber-ry by the time its read by someone else but my brain is currently to oatmealy to deal with proper typing and deeper details
Listen.

Postby DaCrum » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:19 pm

The awkward moment where your best friend started growing out her natural hair color and it looks good but you can't tell her because you're not talking because you abused her.
Escape will make me God.

Postby Senel » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:46 pm

That awkward moment a hot girl wants your dick but she has a boyfriend and having been cheated on you don't really want to do that to another guy.

Then being called gay by your friend.

Haha, this sucks.

Postby Panty Anarchy » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:29 pm

Friends suck.
I am thou... Thou art I... From the sea of thy soul, I come...
Soulchild: u thnk evry thng stupid.
DaCrum: Warbear, why did you suddenly become pretty cool? Stop it.
BR:love is just a boner everyone is looking to fart on warbear
Slutty Angel

PreviousNext

Return to Central Compton Botanical Gardens