The Tom and Jerry Show *return of T&J*

The forum for Bleedman fans! Feel free to discuss other comics and cartoons, as well.

Moderator: Mod Squad

The Tom and Jerry Show *return of T&J*

Postby Glacial Expanse » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:45 am

http://mediatogo.thewb.com/news/2012/10 ... n-network/

One of the world’s most beloved cartoon duos returns to television in The Tom and Jerry Show, a fresh take on the classic frenemies coming soon to Cartoon Network. Comprised of two 11-minute shorts, each episode will feature Tom the cat and Jerry the mouse plotting against each other—with Tom’s determination matched only by Jerry’s own cleverness in evading capture. But this time the cartoon mayhem will not be limited to only Tom and Jerry’s traditional suburban setting. In The Tom and Jerry Show, the title characters’ nonstop game of cat and mouse will expand to also include more fantastic worlds, from a medieval castle to a mad scientist’s lab.

Preserving the look, core characters and sensibility of the original theatrical shorts, The Tom and Jerry Show shines a brightly colored, high-definition lens on a never-ending battle that has set the standard for cartoon rivalries. After all, with a setup as elementary as a determined cat chasing a resourceful and mischievous mouse, the possibilities (and laughs) are endless!

Sam Register (The Looney Tunes Show, MAD, Teen Titans) serves as executive producer on The Tom and Jerry Show. The series is being produced by Warner Bros. Animation in conjunction with producers Darrell Van Citters and Ashley Postlewaite at Renegade Animation.

“Tom and Jerry are two of the most iconic characters on the planet,” said Sam Register, executive vice president, creative affairs, Warner Bros. Animation. “While it’s important we honor their great legacy, we don’t want to keep them in the archives. We want to introduce them to a new generation of fans. As we have done with The Looney Tunes Show, The Tom and Jerry Show will bring Tom and Jerry into a contemporary environment and tell hilarious stories that kids and adults will love.”

Warner Bros. Animation (WBA) is one of the leading producers of animation in the entertainment industry, with an innovative and talent-rich roster boasting some of the most accomplished writers, producers and artists working today. The studio is on the cutting edge of animation technology and has both CG and traditionally animated projects in current production and development. For TV, WBA produces series such as Green Lantern: The Animated Series, The Looney Tunes Show, MAD, Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated and Young Justice: Invasion, as well as the forthcoming Beware The Batman and Teen Titans Go! for Cartoon Network. WBA also produces series and additional original content — including animated shorts — for Cartoon Network’s multiplatform branded DC Nation programming block. In addition to TV programming, WBA produces theatrically released CG cartoon shorts featuring iconic Looney Tunes characters, rendered in stereoscopic 3D. WBA also creates the highly successful series of DC Universe Original Animated Movies for DVD. Producing for multiple platforms including TV, digital and home entertainment both domestically and internationally, WBA is highly respected for its creative and technical excellence, as well as for maintaining the Studio’s rich cartoon heritage. It is also the home of the iconic animated characters from the DC Comics, Hanna-Barbera, MGM and Looney Tunes libraries. One of the most-honored animation studios in history, WBA has been honored with six Academy Awards®, 35 Emmy® Awards, the George Foster Peabody Award, an Environmental Media Award, a Parents’ Choice Award, the HUMANITAS Prize, two Prism Awards and 20 Annie Awards (honoring excellence in animation).

Cartoon Network (CartoonNetwork.com) is the #1 U.S. television network among boys 6-11. Currently seen in 99 million U.S. homes and 178 countries around the world, Cartoon Network is Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.’s ad-supported cable service now available in HD offering the best in original, acquired and classic entertainment for kids and families. In addition to Emmy-winning original programming and industry-leading digital apps and online games, Cartoon Network embraces key social issues affecting families with solution-oriented initiatives such as Stop Bullying: Speak Up and the Move It Movement.

Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner company, creates and programs branded news, entertainment, animation and young adult media environments on television and other platforms for consumers around the world.

The one thing I wish that these people could do is to make the episodes have that same quality that the old show had. I never found anything after the old show as enjoyable. This is one reason why I'm not fond of this announcement. However, I like what Sam Register has been doing with MAD and I liked his production on Teen Titans.
"Nostalgia and border line depression is not a good combination. Looking back at the 90's and early 2000's brings back good memories, but it's also torture cause we're all older now and just realize that life was just simple at one time." ~ comeonman89, Nelly Furtado - I'm Like a Bird - YouTube
Previous Quote

Wulfespinndel

Re: The Tom and Jerry Show *return of T&J*

Postby Dibullba » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:57 am

Still find it questionable to be honest. The thing with Sam Register is that in each cartoon he has had involvement with, he tends to stray from core points of source material. Teen Titans having a comic book, he strayed pretty heavily from that in terms of characters and story though I can admit that I enjoyed the cartoon thoroughly. The Looney Toons Show is like what would happen if you made them more realistic which quickly turned me off from it. MAD is better fit for him simply because he can construe all the details he wants in humorous ways.

Essentially my fear is that he will make it overly themed in each episode with not much variance in the slap stick or a lack of story elements such as a girl Tom is interested and as per usual Jerry gets in the way. Tom and Jerry have been used in numerous skits being in different places and times while keeping the slap stick fresh and cartoony. Hopefully he will research through the episodes to not stray too far from the formula. I would be shocked if he somehow managed to come up with something fresh for the new series without ruining the formula.

Postby Grieffon » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:46 am

from a medieval castle to a mad scientist’s lab.

Wasn't there already a medieval castle episode from the original?

I really hope he does research and stick with the original.

Postby Dibullba » Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:21 pm

They did the medieval theme in Medieval Menace from Tom and Jerry Tales which would probably be considered like G3 for them since I count Tom and Jerry Kids as G2. The mad scientist theme has been done in two episodes from the original I believe with different themes. One being Jerry creating a concoction that makes him stronger in Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Mouse; and the other with the complete package in Switchin' Kitten.

Postby punzil504 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:31 pm

They also did a French medieval castle theme in the one where Jerry and Nibbles were "Mousketeers" (All for one, one for all -- not Mickey)

IIRC the Tex Avery T&J shorts were better than the Chuck Jones ones.

The big thing is keeping the two non-verbal, or at least as non-verbal as the Coyote, Road Runner, and Silent Bob.

You know... maybe the occasional "Don't You Believe It!" nightmare fuel.

Postby Dibullba » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:38 pm

I had considered the the French escapades with Nibbles, but I think those are something of there own section.

Postby Mon-Kitsune » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:50 pm

Dibullba wrote:I had considered the the French escapades with Nibbles, but I think those are something of there own section.

Isn't that the one where Tom gets gilloutined at the end? That one's seriosly creepy (sort of on the level of the one where Jerry tries to convince tom he is attempting suicide every time he falls asleep, or the one where he actually IS attempting suicide and Jerry winds up joining him)

punzil504 wrote:They also did a French medieval castle theme in the one where Jerry and Nibbles were "Mousketeers" (All for one, one for all -- not Mickey)

IIRC the Tex Avery T&J shorts were better than the Chuck Jones ones.

The big thing is keeping the two non-verbal, or at least as non-verbal as the Coyote, Road Runner, and Silent Bob.

You know... maybe the occasional "Don't You Believe It!" nightmare fuel.

Well, Tom did talk in some of the carttons (at least he sang) but I agree it shold stay as pantomime as possible. For Tom to talk on a regular basis would seem as odd as having the Pink Panther do it (though there are two PP cartoons where he does talk)
"For I have heard the Song of War, and to me, it sounds just like "Please, Mister Custer.""

Cogito Ergot Sum, "I think there is something wrong with this rye bread." (Aplogies to Seafrol.)

Return to Bleed Forum (Comics and Animation)