Blood Studios - Eyeballing some coloring ideas

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Blood Studios - Eyeballing some coloring ideas

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:47 pm

Welcome to Blood Studios, where work is made through blood.
Believe it or not, I actually do draw! Here is the first of many, Blood Studios.

Here is my DA page for right now: http://blordy.deviantart.com/

Index:
Traditional

Cowgirl Gunner: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3354426#p3354426
Signs: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3364026#p3364026
Dragon Age: Battle of Redcliffe Banner: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3411894#p3411894
Sigment Kurosai (Outline): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3419277#p3419277
Valmyria Windstrider (Outline): viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3420977#p3420977
Grim Tales from the Surface Above: Minnie: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3448049#p3448049
Hand Work: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&start=25#p3465512
A Rarity in Practice: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&start=25#p3489295
Head Studies 1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3512319#p3512319

Digital
Coloring ideas/practice 1: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53757&p=3515830#p3515830
Last edited by Blood Lord on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Blood Studios: UNDER-CONSTRUCTION

Postby Morpheus » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:53 am

Good to see you in art.
Your facial anatomy is kind wonky but I do like the clothing design.
Something I can suggest is some book by Loomis.
His books sell for around 35 through 40 dollars but you can get them in PDF format for free.
Hope to see more from you.

Postby Saint Soul » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:00 pm

same here. and dont leave or stop.
"Small muscles, big brain, the heart of a lion."
—Anthony DiNozzo on Timothy McGee
User formaly known as Soulchild

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:26 pm

I haven't. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to transfer my drawings into the internet. Camera, or scanner?

Also, I have some questions about Photoshop, and tablets. I want to get into drawing with the computer, but don't know anything about that field.

Also, looking into several different ways to advance my skills. I am already working out of "An Idiot's Guide to drawing Manga", looking to get a couple of more books, and searching around the internet. I will take any advise that I can get.

Postby Hiroko » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:59 pm

It really depends, I think. Personally, if the drawing is small enough to fit into the scanner, and if the scanner is pretty good at not utterly killing the colors or shading or whatever of your drawing in the process, I would go with that option.

Otherwise, if it's too big, or if it's framed or something, then I guess you could try taking a photo of it--preferably with a good camera (perhaps in HD?), and preferably framed within the camera so that the drawing is properly presented in the photo to the best of your abilities.

Presentation is everything; you could have an amazing drawing, but if it isn't presented right, it'll take away from the drawing. Way too many times do I see muddy, dark, or crooked-looking photos whenever people go that route to show their drawings--heck, I certainly wasn't perfect with a camera myself, as shown here with the 'frame' around my drawing ending up crooked, but I did my best.

I don't have to deal with these extra issues of properly presenting the drawing and all that if I just scan the drawing in, although there will be some times when you'll need to digitally edit a picture--perhaps to crop out some empty space to place more focus on the drawing itself, or to fix some scanning errors that might occur (like the aforementioned "killing the coloring or shading" bit). It certainly looks weird, for example, if you post a picture of a drawing that takes up only a corner of the page, and you leave in all of that extra white space.

I don't know much about Photoshop, only having dabbled in it a few times while on a school computer, but as for tablets, I tend to hear people say good things about Wacom tablets (they're basically a standard). Cintiqs in specific are the ones people are looking into nowadays, since they have screens that you draw directly on, as opposed to having the little tablet beside your computer and drawing in this awkward position where you're staring at your computer screen instead of down on the tablet, like you probably would if you were drawing on paper and all. Cintiqs are pretty expensive, though. A regular Wacom tablet (as in, the ones without the draw-on screen) should be just fine and be more within your budget.

Um...I don't really have much advice with regards to how to go about improving your skills, except for the usual; use references, use your own body as a reference (practicing poses in a mirror or staring/studying your hand, to figure out what looks right and natural, I guess?), and, as always, just keep churning out drawings. The more you draw, the more you'll improve, even if it's just a bit at a time.

So...hope that helps? ^^;
The Sentimental One

Postby G-O » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:11 pm

A tablet is just a tool, it won't make your art better so don't purchase it if you don't really need it. It does have it's merits but many people I've met at cons think it's going to make drawing easier but forget that it's only a tool no different than a pencil or paintbrush with less the mess. With that said, I would suggest purchasing a small wacom graphire tablet if you want to proceed to become a digital artist. They're pretty cheap (around $24) and they'll be a great wa to start off and get some serious practice in. If money is not an issue then an Bamboo or Intuos tablet would be great.

As far as Photoshop goes, You can do just fine without needing a tablet for that. There are plenty of tutorials out there you can use and you'd be surprised how many do not require any kind of tablet. Now the advantage of having a tablet is that you have pressure settings so it'll feel more natural but you can get similar effects from just lowering opacity settings on your brush.

And Never use a how to draw manga book. And I mean never. I made the mistake of doing so for years and found my art very limited. Manga drawing books have a very limited methods and ussually stick to manga style art alone. That's fine and all but it means your work will be limited to simple manga style art. If you seriously want to improve your skills then you need to learn about Anatomy, perspective, forshortening, shading, values, mass, thinking in volume, etc.

Now I'm not saying for you to learn all at once ( that would destroy your brain). But start out learning the basics and continue forward. I recommend using these artists below.

NOTE: The following links are full books in PDF format

http://floobynooby.com/FAD/Burne%20Hogarth%20-%20Drawing%20Dynamic%20Hands.pdf
http://floobynooby.com/FAD/Burne%20Hogarth%20-%20Drawing%20The%20Human%20Head.pdf

http://floobynooby.com/FAD/Burne%20Hogarth%20-%20Dynamic%20Figure%20Drawing.pdf
http://floobynooby.com/FAD/Andrew%20Loomis%20-%20Drawing%20Heads%20And%20Hands.pdf

If you are a beginner then I recommend looking online for an artist called Glenn Vilppu, he has various tutorial in youtube

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:29 pm

Sweet. thank you so much for your help. I'll give those a look when I can.

So I am going to update here soon with a few of my more recent drawings, and possible, if I can get them done, some art that belongs in a future RPG and in some of my stories.

Re: Blood Studios: Cowgirl Gunner

Postby Blood Lord » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:03 pm

Update! I found out how to use the scanner!

This is my Cowgirl gunner. The drawing book I am currently using, has you draw a cowboy. Well, I wanted to keep practicing, so I thought of making a cowgirl. For one, it sucks to draw women. Its the curves. Ladies, I love your curves, don't get me wrong. But I also hate them because its hard for me to get them to look close to being right. Damn you and your sexiness.

Anyway, she isn't my newest, and I almost have my studio set up. another day or so and I should be able to get back to drawing again.

Postby Morpheus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:26 am

Your body looks ok and you put good detail into the gun but your hands need work and your face could use some more attention.
Remember your hands should be about the same size of the head and the basic shape should be blocked out then drawn.
And for the head take a look at the basic head proportions to get a better feel of where the features should be pla

Postby Blood Lord » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:28 pm

I do block them out...

Postby Morpheus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:57 pm

Then just take it as a reminder.
It's still a good picture though so keep up the good work.

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:53 pm

No they aren't that cool, but I thought I would throw them in here. Its some sign work that took me like five minutes.

Blood Studios Sign:
This is the second official title for Blood Studios. The first is somewhere in my art binder.

What I wanted was the official, bold "Studio" with "Blood" splattered above it. the one I really want to do is going to involve the same basic look, but with a anime styled school girl in a black and red out fit, and holding a katana. Not quite there yet.

Blood Studios is name I have given to my creative center, where work is made through blood.

Dragon Age Divided Kingdom RPG:
This was for the people that joined my RPG here at Snafu. I wanted to commemorate the event so I put this together.

Blood Studios Literature Division (BSLD) sign:
A cool thing for all of my written works.

Re: Blood Studios: Custom signs.

Postby BossyGirl » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:57 pm

People talk about proportions all the time but with anime there's really no borderline. Practice. Practice. Practice. Draw at every free time, even a doodle or sketch. As for how to draw books, I honestly have never used them and I think they are a waste of money. One way that some people use is the tracing effect, but never post or sell those ever, they're just exercises to help your hand move. Also I don't think the method of teaching someone to draw in their style works, you have to create your own style, whatever makes you comfortable. With that said, don't look for criticism unless you're actually 100% ready for progression. Art critiques are vicious. :grin:
~ count them forsaken ~
Obsessed with the mess that's America

Postby not rockwell » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:36 pm

draw alot draw everything.
The ledgend.

Postby Blood Lord » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:27 pm

Well. All Io got to show is another "custom" sign piece for the Dragon Age RP. The guys there have been great and patient with me as I worked through school. So I made this to highlight the current chapter that the RPG is in. It's made using some Harry Potter 7 poster, or something like that. I lost interest in Harry Potter around the 5th or 6th movie. The font was from a online font generator and is designed to be from God of War. the goal was to make this look epic, and perhaps cause some fear too if you are on the wrong side of the RP.

So, sorry. It's not a drawn thing. I haven't gotten to touch my art stuff for a while, well with the exception of doodles all over my binders and notes. Hopefully I will have sometime to get down and dirty with some honest-to-God drawing. I need to make the art I was going to do for Jasthn and now Sig as well.

Hmm, I'm a little annoyed because it looks rather good on my DA, not so much here. You can see the white border edge and a few more of my edits with the font then I had thought.

Re: Blood Studios: BoR Banner

Postby Sigment » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Beautiful, and it's gives the players something to work with in terms of scenery.
"Stick around... I'm full of bad ideas." -Isaac Clarke
"You've chosen your Answer. Now see it through." -Serene Haze
Gizmo - You're always awesome Sig. DON'T 4get that.

Check out my literary comic: Kurosai Chronicles!
The Resident Smartass

Postby Asmodai » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Hmm, the reflection in the water is too clean, considering the water is rather rough. You might also want to play around with the text color, the "The ba-" part kinda disappears against the bright background
Mephobiac

Postby MyGFsDog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:59 pm

That's an awesome image but yeah, the text needs some work. It's really pixelated and the color doesn't quite fit with the warmth of the image.

Getting back to an earlier discussion in this thread about scanners, the single best investment I've ever made for illustrating (besides my desk and my computer) is my full format mustek scanner. You probably don't need to worry about full format 11x17" stuff for the time being, but if you're still doing a lot of illustrating in the future you may want to consider it. They're only like, $100 or less. It is soooo much better than scanning in two halfs of a large page and then stitching them together on the computer. When the time comes....

Postby Blood Lord » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Sigment Kurosai (Outline):
Blordy's DA account wrote:Alright, bout time I posted some good art and not a bunch of signs that took me five minutes. So this is for a good friend on Snafu-Comics, Sigment. The guy is named after his character and has his own story going with it. Pretty Awesome, imho. You can check it out here: vie

So about this piece, A lot of the requested design elements that Sig wanted didn't make it in. I really abused the artistic license on this one. The original design would have had a long black coat. Most of what he wore is black, so that would have been a mess with shading. So instead, I decided to go with a sleeveless coat with big buttons. I couldn't decide how I wanted the collar to look, so I did both ideas, and I thought it came out good. The shirt, it needed something so I went with a interesting pinstripe design. If you could see the full design, it takes on the design of a dragon. Kinda hard to tell from here. The boots were taken from a dirt bike boot design.

It came together better than I thought. I had so many problems going on with school, work, by Xbox distracting me, and then his pants. normally clothing folds aren't difficult for me. I practiced them a lot when I started drawing, but lately its just sucked.

So this is the outline, there will be a shaded completed version as well as a few attempts at coloring including Sig's original color scheme and my own.

http://blordy.deviantart.com/art/Sigmen ... -390219296

Re: Blood Studios: Sigment Kurosai (Outline)

Postby Brax4 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:48 pm

That looks pretty damn nice. Good posing, realistic muscles. Yeah, pretty much all good. Now you gotta' color it. lol

It's nice to see some actual art from you Blord. Hope to see more in the future.
[ LVL 131 ]

Postby Mad-Mutt » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:48 pm

Your guy looks pretty cool. He's got an eye patch a long flowing coat and a sword. He's also pretty well drawn. Nice job.
Bark

Postby Sigment » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Mad-Mutt wrote:He's got an eye patch a long flowing coat and a sword.

It's an anime trifecta. Although, it's actually a bandana, not an eye patch.

The Resident Smartass

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:36 pm

Brax4 wrote:It's nice to see some actual art from you Blord. Hope to see more in the future.

Yeah. It feels good to use a pencil and make some actual stuff instead of those signs. Got a update right now as a matter of fact.

I shall curse my scanner and notebook until the day either breaks. I just don't want to rip things out of my sketch book so you get this dark spot if I'm not careful with the placement of the image. I usually have enough room to cut it out, but this time I didn't and had to use some contrast editing.

Blood Lord on his DA wrote:I give you Valmyria Windstrider. Currently she is in my Dragon Age RP as the GM character. Typically though she is a Elven Ranger and a variation of her appears in nearly every single fantasy RPG that I play. I don't know why...

It is another WIP, I was working on this one while also doing the Sigment one. It actually started first. I don't know how I quite feel about this one. To be honest, I am... disappointed with how it turned out. When I was drawing this thing I had the female body down to a perfection (Yes it is a woman). I kid thee not, every line and curve was placed brilliantly. The proportions were great and I was so happy that despite my long time of not drawing, that I still retained a impressive amount of my skill.

But then I got stupid. I started adding in too many things and allowed too many sources to influence the design. For example, despite not being one, she could kinda pass for a Warcraft Elf with those ears. The emblem on the breast plate is suppose to be the High Elven emblem, again from Warcraft. The top half of the armor was inspired by some anime and Dragon Age armors. Arm armor was split into two for ease in combat; the more armored arm would be the defense arm while the lighter armored side would be the sword arm. The lower portion is a nod towards the Assassin Creed franchise, particularly the Brotherhood robes. I feel like I screwed it up because I had this great outline, perfect female body shape and then I screwed that up by covering the legs with the Assassin Robes, and ruined the top half because I made the breastplate way too "Busy". Until I got the face done you couldn't tell it was female and by that point it was too late for me to change anything back to what it should be.

But at the same time I really love the Assassin Robes and have always been partial to the "half/armored" design of characters. Seems stupid to me to run into battle wearing your leathers and normal clothes, and utterly pointless to go hiking in the woods wearing full armor. So if you merge the two you can still kinda fake the protected look and stay nimble. Sounds good in theory. I should have gone with the AC2 robe designs instead and made the back and front a little longer.

TL;DR - Not thrilled with what happened, but I learned somethings from it.

Re: Blood Studios: Valmyria Windstrider (Outline)

Postby Sigment » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:27 pm

Interesting. Very interesting. So much for the hand on the hip, huh? Still, holding the arrow's a good alternative.

The Resident Smartass

Re: Blood Studios: Valmyria Windstrider (Outline)

Postby Blood Lord » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:04 pm

The hand was not looking right. It was like she was trying to stick her hand in her pocket when she doesn't have any... I drew the arm too low, so I thought I'd just attempt to do the arrow thing instead.

Next

Return to Art