Black mesa.

100% GAMES! Use this forum to discuss any game in any context and to organize get-togethers, guilds, and tournaments with your fellow Snafu posters.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Black mesa.

Postby MQuinny1234 » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:44 pm

http://release.blackmesasource.com/

I don't know much about the half-life universe, and although I have the orange box, I'lve always been unwilling to start the half life episodes as I never played half-life 1.

Is this a remake of half-life 1?
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Re: Black mesa.

Postby Dark Dragon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:56 am

It's a mod developed by a group of fans who were very disappointed in the release of Half-Life Source. When Half-Life source was announced, a lot of people had hoped it was a reboot of the original game, but it was simply a re-release of the same old game on a different engine. No new content, sounds, or textures.

This mod is supposed to be a very close reboot of Half-Life using modern resources and the Source engine. In all honesty, if you're going to play Half-Life 2 you should play Half-Life. If you don't all ready own it and don't want to buy it, then just go for Black Mesa. Apparently Black Mesa is still incomplete, it's missing the very last part of the original game. It should be completed some time, I'm not sure how soon though since this mod has been under development for YEARS.

Postby Asmodai » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:46 pm

I'm thoroughly enjoying this game so far, it has that nice old school Half Life feeling to it

I especially love what the modders did with the zombies. I always hated the way they looked in Half Life 2. In Black Mesa, they look absolutely terrifying.
Mephobiac

Postby MQuinny1234 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 6:28 pm

Can't bloody jump right.

I miss having a controller.
Image=
-"I'm sophisticated, charming, suave, and debonair, Professor. But I have never claimed to be civilized."
Reluctant Nailbiter

Postby Dark Dragon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:03 am

It's been awhile since I played either game. Now that I actually look at it, HL2's zombies seem like really dumbed down versions of the originals. The "standard" or "common" zombies, anyway.

Postby Dark Dragon » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:04 am

I kept getting shot at that first part when you reach the surface. The one where the epic music starts screaming and you can see airstrikes coming down. I decided to go full retard and leeroy their asses. I surprisingly made it passed. :I

Postby Asmodai » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:50 pm

Good lord in heaven, this game is difficult... The military parts that is. And I'm loving it, because this is how it should feel like to fight a trained military force.

The only thing I hate, is the fact that the moments with the epic music are often the hardest parts. So when the music starts I'm all "Aw yeah, lets kill some sons of bitche- oh wait, I'm dead."

Oh, and you can download the soundtrack for free
Mephobiac

Postby Dark Dragon » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:06 pm

Currently listening to the soundtrack, actually. I thought I was just having difficulty with my trackball, since this is the first shooter I've played since I bought it. Fuck this military clean up, I'm glad I finally got to "Forget about Freeman".

Postby Glahardt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:20 am

Download almost done.... HHHNGNHNGHNGHNGH

Postby Dark Dragon » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:19 am

I finished it. Am sad now. :(

Return to Snafu Gaming