The Artist's Corner

Artists! Show your work, tips, tricks, requests, and challenges. This forum includes visual art, music, 3D, animation, abstract art, graphic design, sculpture, EVERYTHING.

Moderator: Mod Squad

Re: The art discussion thread.

Postby Morpheus » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:50 pm

It's like paying for music.

Postby sam1027 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:40 pm

Morpheus wrote:People still pay for programs?

Well, payment is necessary, still; otherwise those who created the programs cannot live by giving programs for free~~~ The free ones were probably built for quick convenience, but the better drawing programs were supposed to be paid because lots of people were involved to make out one software~~
Just always look out for my art fourm~~
DONT WANNA BE AlONE IN MY THREAD teehee~

Snafu: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46720
Devian Art: http://sam1027.deviantart.com/

Postby sam1027 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:43 pm

Morpheus wrote:It's like paying for music.

Again, music artists can't get living if we dont buy music, thou~~
We download songs and it's prohibited by laws for sure, yet people just won't tell it so that everyone can own the songs for free~~~
Just always look out for my art fourm~~
DONT WANNA BE AlONE IN MY THREAD teehee~

Snafu: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=46720
Devian Art: http://sam1027.deviantart.com/

Postby Alopunk » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:24 pm

Recently started using sumopaint.com. I'm still messing around with it, but so far I prefer this over GIMP. Just putting it out there in case anyone wants to give it a try. This happens rarely, but when i use the program, the image that i was working on deletes itself. ;_; So it's best to constantly save your work, just in case.
Lord Soth: ^ That one does have a fascination in making people more sparkly.
Sable: And here I thought the sparkles you added to everything was cocaine.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Not much of a punk.

Postby Maru » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:01 am

...Alo, are those new sparkles? Pretty lass! ^^

By the way, I'm looking into getting one of those tablet things where you draw on the pad and it shows up on the computer screen. However, I still plan on staying faithful to good ol' pencil, Bic pens and paper.
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Merry Christmas Bitch

Postby Memphis » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:40 am

yes, i love art in most forms
paintings, which is possibly the most obvious answer... but none of this modern art that could easily be replicated by a 4 year old... i like it to look at, but i don't think the artist, in most case, deserves the credit they get for it, all they're really doing is coming up with some fancy fandango about what it represents, ha ha anyway...
other art forms...
-dancing, that counts right? i love dancing, mainly watching it, as i might as well have two left feet when it comes to dancing :P
but what i love most about art is when people are really creative, such as using materials that are different or hard to work with, they deserve more credit than some of the 'modern art' artists...
When you're shopping for Mountain Bike Tires
Women Christian Dior Handbags

Postby Coos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:05 pm

maru-shadow wrote:By the way, I'm looking into getting one of those tablet things where you draw on the pad and it shows up on the computer screen. However, I still plan on staying faithful to good ol' pencil, Bic pens and paper.

You can always draw on paper, scan, then use the tablet for lineart/color/the junk. A good amount of people do that sometimes instead of doing one or the other.

Postby Morpheus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:15 pm

So do you guys think anime is too overused?

Postby Vegedus » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:03 pm

The style? Yes, definitely. I think it's cool that people take some of the elements of the eastern style and mix it into their own to create really unique mixes of western and eastern comic styles. Empowered for instance, and various webcomics. I try to do something along those lines, though I'm unsure how anime-ish my stuff is perceived to be by others.

However, it almost makes me mad to see some people who downright specializes in ripping off various anime and manga styles. Like deviantart users who are hella good at drawing exactly like Masashi Kishimoto (the author of Naruto), who isn't even that great an artist. It especially misses the point because such styles are made for expediency, not great detail, so it's entirely unsuited for quality art. Like, I think cellshading is an interesting type of shading that can be used for to great effect, but for the most part, people just place a block of shadow under the characters chin, because that's what they do in anime. Nevermind that that is for budget reasons, not artistic.
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby Mimeme » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:18 pm

It has been saturating the market and industry for a long while now. It disturbs me how a lot of non-Japanese animation series try to imitate its style (and jokes) and fail at it... but it is here to stay.

I think it's fine if a lot of creative folks prefer to go 'anime'; But it would definitely be worth more if they develop their own style and evolve it into their own unique signature.

Postby yoshira » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:20 pm

Can someone make an epic Gaz(invader zim) Wallpaper :o im making a shirt but there's no good pictures. I'm trying to look for the Gaz in this website but @.@ hellpppp please D: or i will explode!!!!!!!! :'( :'( :'(

Postby Morpheus » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:03 pm

Should artist work for free?

Postby Asmodai » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:50 pm

Define "work". Are we talking industrial work here (cartoon, printing, etc), or something else?

Vegedus wrote:Like, I think cellshading is an interesting type of shading that can be used for to great effect, but for the most part, people just place a block of shadow under the characters chin, because that's what they do in anime. Nevermind that that is for budget reasons, not artistic.

Yeah!

Oh, wait
Mephobiac

Postby Maru » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Oh, this tablet frickin' rules...

But should artists work for free? Maybe... Depends on the venue, I think.
My DA
My Soundcloud (WARNING: May contain flat Japanese singing)
Feathers: hiatus'd
Merry Christmas Bitch

Postby Mimeme » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:59 am

For free? It depends on the artist really. I usually say "Yes!" to charity and when I am giving out personal gifts.

In the end, bills need to be paid, bellies need to be filled, and materials need to be replenished/software need to be legalized... A wonderful side income if you don't mind working into your free time.

Postby Morpheus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:31 am

Usually it would be for practice.
But I have too many people who want 10-15 hour pictures for free.

Postby Asmodai » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:36 pm

Screw that, ask commissions! Unless you like that person/idea enough to invest such amounts of time
Mephobiac

Postby Vegedus » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:36 pm

Asmodai wrote:Define "work". Are we talking industrial work here (cartoon, printing, etc), or something else?

Vegedus wrote:Like, I think cellshading is an interesting type of shading that can be used for to great effect, but for the most part, people just place a block of shadow under the characters chin, because that's what they do in anime. Nevermind that that is for budget reasons, not artistic.

Yeah!

Oh, wait

MOAR SHADING! MOAR SHADES OF SHADING! GO!
Will make apocalypse themed fiction for food

Postby hasunn » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:09 am

I am also a big fan of Photoshop and i guess a lot of people who does art have used Photoshop one way or another. I guess it has a wide user base because it is very user friendly and a lot of people can even learn to use it in an instant unlike other programs although there are other programs that offer more functions but then it takes quite some experience or expertise to go about the program making it more difficult to newbies to use.

Re: w00t Welcome to the Art Forum! [+Jibba Jabba]

Postby Belwicket » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 pm

Hello, people. I'm new to the art section of the forum (having been entirely in the RP section) and I thought it's about time I spread out and find some new friends.

I do have one request, though. I have some characters I'd like drawn for a project my brother is working on. If anyone would like to take a shot, please send me a PM.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Innuendo Squad's Resident Lesbian
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Morpheus » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:35 pm

If you want a request then post it in the request thread.
Also, if you want it done put whether or not you're going to pay for it and if so how much.
I hope you find your start in art better than in RP.

Postby Belwicket » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:32 pm

Thank you, Morpheus.
They taped over your mouth, scribbled out the truth with their lies, you little spies - You will release your life, joining with the god-damned world of the dead and the lonely. - Я сошла с ума, Mне нужна она
Mother of darkness, mother of light, earth beneath us, soul in flight, songs of love and love of life, guide us to our heart.
We all come from the Goddess and to her we shall return like a drop of rain flowing to the ocean.
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Belwicket » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:56 pm

Could someone give me a link or the name of the thread in which I should post my request?
High Queen Dovahkiin

Postby Morpheus » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:03 pm

That would be this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=13094
To be honest we don't have the amount of artist we once had but you can still give it a go.

Postby G-O » Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Mimeme wrote:It has been saturating the market and industry for a long while now. It disturbs me how a lot of non-Japanese animation series try to imitate its style (and jokes) and fail at it... but it is here to stay.

I think it's fine if a lot of creative folks prefer to go 'anime'; But it would definitely be worth more if they develop their own style and evolve it into their own unique signature.

I imagine it has to do a lot with budgets and time. An average amount of today's movies tend to imitate what is already considered successful. Battleship is transformers Jr. Every other TV show seems to be about vampires, wolves, etc. an imitate Twilight. Every now and then you will get a person who makes something unique and amazing. When that happens, others will imitate that, and so on and so on.

I imagine it's somewhat of the same for Animation, Japanese Anime at one point was imitating the early Disney Cartoons and slowly as they mastered their craft , anime in general became an almost modern example of what is considered good animation ( with a few exceptions of course). They experiment with a lot of different styles and techniques often.

So it's natural that companies want to base their work on an already successful form of animation. After all, they're a business so making money is very important to them (you have people to pay after all). Also, as far as style goes, the more complex a character's art style is, the longer it takes to animate so obviously more money and time are required.

Anime is just currently the most popular art style at the time but just 20 years ago I remember everyone was trying to imitate shows like the x-men cartoon and about 10 years ago it was the Bruce Timm simplified look that just about every other cartoon seemed to have going on. Eventually something will replace the anime format.

Oh wow, I kinda ranted more than I needed to

PreviousNext

Return to Art