RolePlay - Idea Board

As the title suggests, feel free to RP it up.

Moderators: RP Mod Squad, Mod Squad

Re: RolePlay - Idea Board

Postby Zelosse » Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:29 am

+1

Postby Ro Wong » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:45 am

Thanks guys, I'll have it up soon.
Demon of Elru

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Dang, this side of the forum goes quite slow eh? Don't let my post count fool you, I've visited this site every day for almost 3 years now. I only post when it is necessary or when it is called for.

I have, however, been getting quite bored and the RP forum seems like a good wholesome time-sink. I don't know where to start however...

This seems like a good a thread as any to post my candidacy for being an RP-er. I have experience in forum based RP threads, but that was a long time ago. About 2007.

Not sure if there are any special rules, maybe should I jump into an RP thread, or make my own? I have a pretty good one in mind. But something tells me my newbishness to this side of the forums would dissuade people from joining it.

So the question I have to ask is... where is a good place to start with the RP forums?
"It's such a fine line between clever and stupid."

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby BG07 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:49 pm

One of the best things to do first is to jump into the OOC threads of some of the RPs around here, check them out, then apply to the ones that you're interested in. Taking part in a few RPs first will give you an idea of how stuff works around here.

Also, if you feel like you have a good RP idea and are confident enough to GM it, you'd need to submit it into this thread for approval. Once you get enough votes from other RPers on the forum you can then make your own OOC and IC threads.

I do suggest that you should flesh out your RP idea as much as possible so that you can sell it to the other RPers and get it voted in.

OH, also I think there are rules around here somewhere... meh...

Postby Birdofterror » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:32 pm

BG07 wrote:One of the best things to do first is to jump into the OOC threads of some of the RPs around here, check them out, then apply to the ones that you're interested in. Taking part in a few RPs first will give you an idea of how stuff works around here.

I would, but most of the OOC's are a couple pages in progress. If I am to re-do the RP side of myself I need to find a fresh one.

Also I don't know what OOC even stands for... I want to say 'original concept' but there is an additional 'O' to it.
BG07 wrote:Also, if you feel like you have a good RP idea and are confident enough to GM it, you'd need to submit it into this thread for approval. Once you get enough votes from other RPers on the forum you can then make your own OOC and IC threads.
Well I can post the giant thing later. It is basically 'Fallout,' for anyone already familiar with the series. Takes place on the east coast. Thought about it for a while and decided on Cape-Cod Massachusetts as a good area, yet naturally small so we can't divulge too far from the main topic even if we tried. Keep in mind if we head too far west we would end up in Boston, which would be the staging ground for Fallout 4, so I'll try to keep us away from it so that contradicting information doesn't arise.
BG07 wrote:I do suggest that you should flesh out your RP idea as much as possible so that you can sell it to the other RPers and get it voted in.
I'll do that. I might need to double post however, I don't feel like 'fleshing it out' in the same post I use to talk about the rules of the forum itself. Speaking of;
BG07 wrote:OH, also I think there are rules around here somewhere... meh...
Yeah I found the RP rules section and caught myself up to speed. Need to get approval by at least 4 people. Sounds easy enough- I can get that much on concept alone I believe. Need to make sure that any inspirations are properly credited, and anything I talk about if it has already been done before to provide adequate links. Also got to obey the basic forum rules all together, so no pointless profanity, advertising and stuff like that.

I'm sure it would do well, I'll whip up a draft later. Out of curiosity, would you be interested in a Fallout RP, given the GM is well versed in the series itself?

The Chronometal Wars, a fan-fiction taking place in the PPGD Universe. Catastrophe is the only certainty.
Bird oft Error

Postby Archrival » Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:56 am

OOC stands for Out Of Character (Yeah I know the 'of' should not be included but meh that's how it's always been. Those threads don't really matter if a few pages have been done as long as their IC thread has not been put up as that means it has started but even then you could still join I'd imagine most would be quite willing since you are a decent member. As for the Fallout RP idea I say go for it, I'd definately participate that Idea if done properly and fleshed out very well and I know a few others who would probs join *Eyes Fummo*.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Timer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:03 am

I'd be intrested (again if it was done properly) and maybe set somewhere else?

Back in the day Me and Nyvyan tried to start a UK set one, but i think seeing other countries would give you a greater scope for what you can do without clashing with previously established monsters/settings/places.... etc

Postby Archrival » Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:10 am

Yeah it gives you more freedom to play with without affecting the canon.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Ro Wong » Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:49 am

If you wanna discuss the rules or other parts of the RPs Bird, Weirdness is our general discussion thread. We try to keep this reserved for purely idea discussions.

On the topic of your idea, then: Fallout has enough established lore and information that you don't need to create too much on your own aside from plot, so it could be a good idea for a first attempt. Give it a try and we'll see if enough people want to play it out.
Demon of Elru

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Timer wrote:I'd be intrested (again if it was done properly) and maybe set somewhere else?

Back in the day Me and Nyvyan tried to start a UK set one, but i think seeing other countries would give you a greater scope for what you can do without clashing with previously established monsters/settings/places.... etc
Well, according to Fallout 'lore,' if you can even call it that: Only America had Vault technology, courtesy of Vault-Tec, a capitalist organization sold to the highest bidder. Several places on Earth weren't that effected by nuclear arms however. Africa I believe was almost completely spared of them. But Africa would make a poor location for 'Fallout' I believe.

So in conclusion, the UK didn't actually HAVE vaults in the first place so the survivors- (If there were any) are now mostly ghouls... super mutants... or dead. Sorry to break it to you, mate. I chose Cape Cod because of how naturally small and condensed it actually is, not to mention it has a military base on it. Being naturally small, it seemed like an ideal location. I though of Miami Florida as well for pretty much the same reason, but Florida is undeniably bigger, so we may have a little TOO much to work with. Which would the people prefer, Massachusetts or Florida?
Ro Wong wrote:If you wanna discuss the rules or other parts of the RPs Bird, Weirdness is our general discussion thread. We try to keep this reserved for purely idea discussions.
I'd like to think of this as purely Idea-Based, only asking for specific rules as I go. I will whip up a story sheet and sign-up paper soon, I will try my best to keep it on-rail.
Archrival wrote:OOC stands for Out Of Character (Yeah I know the 'of' should not be included but meh that's how it's always been.
Out of Character, eh? Seems like when you talk out of character... but... okay.

Last clarification before I post the sheet. The name of the RP will be 'War Never Changes.' Would that end up being called 'War Never Changes OOC?' or simply 'War Never Changes?'

Bird oft Error

Postby Timer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:03 pm

Just because the vault project was limited to the US doesn't mean that other countries couldn't have developed their own technologies.
At the point of the scouring of earth Europe had formed into its own version of the current EU, the European Commonwealth and such is nations may have had the resources necessary to build their own vault Equivalents. Its even possible that the UK sided with China and the CCP after the annexing of canada in 2067.
China itself may be a viable candidate for vault equivalents, being able to produce stealth technology and were the equals of the US until the development of the T-45d power armour and it''s deployment of anchorage in 2067, then the eventual deployment of T-51b armour in 2076 finally made headway in the invasion of mainland china that had started two years prior.

The Situation and survival rates of any country outside the US is unknown, because the games have only ever been set on US soil. Which is logical with the shut down of global communications and utter annihilation of the population.

---

Wall'o text i know, but just cause the canon doesn't say something doesn't mean it couldn't be true.
In fact a Chinese set one would probably be hilarious.

Postby Zako » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:05 pm

Video game or anime based RPs tend not to last long or successful.

Try something more original.
- Join the HUMP LEGION. Leading the Humping and Bumping since time began...*humpa humpa humpa* -

Note to self. Pg541
SPACE ASSHOLE...

Postby Timer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:09 pm

But original stuff is much harder to write for and if he wants to get his sea legs back it'd probably be best to start off with something like that?

But you are right

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:18 pm

Zako wrote:Video game or anime based RPs tend not to last long or successful.

Well I see a Naruto one going for 30 pages already. I think it's just a matter of people sticking to whatever OOCs they like and feel familiar. Fallout is now a well known series and is not as likely to turn people away simply because 'they don't know the source material.'

Not to mention Fallout is special, as Timer himself has explained inadvertently; the series itself is INCREDIBLY vague. So many things can be other things, some things are unexplained- but most are simply unknown.

A more vague series would be hard to find, especially since the very theme behind the beginnings and ends of every fallout game is:

"War Never Changes" Which would easily mean that every game could literally never happen and nothing would change. Such a blank slate and bleak world would be incredibly easy to alter, edit and put your own spin on it.

I wouldn't come here with such an Idea if I didn't have faith in it. At its core it seems both a good original idea to work with a Fallout RP due to having easily accepted core functions and an undeniably vague world.

If you think I should find something else however, I would consider it... but I want to give this a try first. Maybe you can even come along yourself, who knows? It could be fun!

Bird oft Error

Postby Timer » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:24 pm

Can't help but read "war never changes" in threedog's voice now

--

I Like it, but it depends on what players you could summon up from the Aether.
A unique idea is better when properly applied, but corruption of an existing one can be just as good if not better.

Thats my opinion anyway, take it for what it is.

Postby Zako » Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:58 pm

Timer wrote:But original stuff is much harder to write for and if he wants to get his sea legs back it'd probably be best to start off with something like that?

But you are right

Because Timer knows what's best because Timer needs to put back a certain spacy RP that needs a reboot.

Fallout is one of those universes that was supposed to be parody of after-a-nuclear-war and underlying story of the need for the one basic natural resource for life its water.

You do that Bird, put in all the dark comedy into the bleak world with some original content and you got yourself a supporter.
- Join the HUMP LEGION. Leading the Humping and Bumping since time began...*humpa humpa humpa* -

Note to self. Pg541
SPACE ASSHOLE...

Postby Archrival » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:22 pm

Zako why this hostility? You, me and thee (being Timer) all started off the same in terms of RPs so it would be interesting for us to go back to square one and work together again once more, I personally would love to see our idea progression in characters and if I seem soppy or idiotic then yes I am becasuse to be honest I'm drunk and I don't give two shits.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Birdofterror » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Hell yes! Seems like I'm going to get a veteran triumvirate in my story. Okay, I'll have the open draft ready by tomorrow. Once it's approved by people in this thread I will make it. It will be called;

"War Never Changes OOC."

I will dedicate much energy to this as I can and I will make as sure as it is possible that it will not die until we reach some sort of 'ending.'

Bird oft Error

Postby Dorian » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:23 am

Let me make this more accurate:

Zako wrote:RPs tend not to last long or successful.

There we go.

Not fixing your grammatical error though. I ain't that nice.
Never asked for this
Snafu Gold Card Member!

Postby Timer » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:29 am

Zako wrote:
Timer wrote:But original stuff is much harder to write for and if he wants to get his sea legs back it'd probably be best to start off with something like that?

But you are right

Because Timer knows what's best because Timer needs to put back a certain spacy RP that needs a reboot.

Maybe when i'm back on here properly ;) just trying to reintegrate myself with the system first.

Postby Birdofterror » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:16 am

Okay I'm just about done with the basic back-round story and basic world lay-out as well as the sign-up sheet, but I cant decide on what I want the final product to be. So, you guys will be the ones in it, which ones would you like? I am literally 100% torn between the two and they could both have their upsides and downsides.

A: Basic RP with basic rules. Will have S.P.E.C.I.A.L., but no skills and only a few predetermined perks and several perks earned through-out your treks in the wastes. You will not gain in level, but you will gain in perks and what would be 'skills' as you use them more.

I, the GM will determine only how NPCs react to you, how the basic world is laid out and of course the story behind the very game itself and with it, where you all start and the boundaries within the world itself.

B: Complex RP with several game mechanics mixed in. Will have S.P.E.C.I.A.L. and skills with predetermined perks. Things you do in the wastes will grant you experience to use on any skill you wish to improve and every several levels you will gain an additional perk of your choice. This will likely be very 'bureaucratic' and will have a lot of numbers and words flying around. Very reminisced of Dungeons and Dragons, but in forum form.

I, the GM will determine how NPCs react to you, how they 'and you' react to the world, how the world itself reacts to you, how the weather affects you and negative and positive events that fly out of no-where very likely based on your 'Luck' status. Characters may be very hard to please with very astute needs akin to those required for 'speech, stat and skill checks' in the Fallout games. I will also decide where you all start and of course the boundaries within the world itself.

===

A is easier to jump into and manage, but B might be a little more fleshed out; though the sheer amount of information needed to keep it rolling could overwhelm players.

Regardless of which one is chosen, the basic story and world lay-out remains the same. Which one is chosen will only affect how the RP itself works and plays out. Keep in mind B isn't necessarily 'harder' but will just be more akin to Fallout, instead of just using its world.

Please note that in either version, I retain full power to kill off characters if the option "jump into the pit of fire" or something akin to that arises and you choose to do so. I will be lenient of the outright killing of you guys, just know that I'm not above punishment for blatantly putting yourselves in harm's way. Also note that if you role with 1 Luck or something like that, I'm almost obligated to drop a piano on your head.

Bird oft Error

Postby Timer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:29 am

I prefer B, but A would be better for you,

Postby Archrival » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 am

Would pretty much say the same, a more experienced GM would be able to carry off B but if you want to challenge it then go for that but I suggest A for you Bird.
SUPPPAAAHHH

Postby Musicmac » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:53 am

CUZ BIRD BIRD BIRD IZ THE WORD
do i win anything?

On another note, my opinions are the same as others. Although I do prefer a B-class RP for most of the time.
omg guys we need a rulebook for this stuff here
Listen.

Postby Timer » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:50 am

A rulebook for what exactly?

PreviousNext

Return to Role Playing